What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (15 Viewers)

Tesla appears to have closed at 695 but Schwab still has it at 658. What a rollercoaster. 
Hope I didn't sell too early, but made a very nice profit late.  Every share I bought today sold for a profit.  These I picked up at $638 and sold at $680 were really nice.

That profit was halved by selling Amazon below the close.

So I wonder when all this rebalancing actually happened?

Thanks to those commenting about holding cash. I've been debating whether to invest the "extra" money in our savings or to hold until the new year and be able to max the Roth IRA  or both immediately. I've been feeling like I should invest now, but holding a bit of cash feels okay when you smart guys are holding a whole lot more than I am right now.  (I'm still not totally sure if I'll drop the $12k immediately or DCA it throughout the year)

Banks are going to go on a share buyback frenzy now that the Fed has greenlighted them to do so.  JPM already announced a $30B buyback to start 2021 Q1

Last edited by a moderator:
-OZ- said:
Thanks to those commenting about holding cash. I've been debating whether to invest the "extra" money in our savings or to hold until the new year and be able to max the Roth IRA  or both immediately. I've been feeling like I should invest now, but holding a bit of cash feels okay when you smart guys are holding a whole lot more than I am right now.  (I'm still not totally sure if I'll drop the $12k immediately or DCA it throughout the year)
Always fund the Roth as early as you can with as much as you

My neighbor is a broker and he mentioned to me he has a client who asked him to put all his money into NNDM. I think he was trying to talk him out of that, but thought that was a ballsy call. I don't know anything about the stock and don't plan on investing in it but intrigued to watch it. I think it's another ARK tail, but not positive about that. From a quick look, looks like a lot of red flags. 

My neighbor is a broker and he mentioned to me he has a client who asked him to put all his money into NNDM. I think he was trying to talk him out of that, but thought that was a ballsy call. I don't know anything about the stock and don't plan on investing in it but intrigued to watch it. I think it's another ARK tail, but not positive about that. From a quick look, looks like a lot of red flags. 
Definitely an ARK tail, which at least makes it worth a look. I know nothing about them but see it come up on FinTwit a lot. That 5 year chart is terrible but I don’t know the story behind it.

Up 25% on my $CERT already, CEO just got on CNBC and talked about it, did a good job. I'll add again around earnings unless this thing really takes off.

ETA: just got halted
Sold $CERT for a nice little trade and decided to start a long term position in $SDGR instead. Similar but seems better.

Always fund the Roth as early as you can with as much as you

No point if you're going to hold it in cash.

Except it’s ready to immediately deploy if you see an opportunity
I treat my retirement accounts a bit different with no cash to speak of in them. Some bonds in two of the 4 accounts but not much. The IRAs are with M1, which intentionally makes me just automatically invest. 

I might just DCA the IRAs and load up the college accounts early.  I use them like some of you use your retirement accounts (but less trading). 

I just ran the numbers for the end of the year. This will be the first time we're in the goal posts for retirement planning. (4-7% withdrawal rates if we didn't have any income other than the pension). In previous years we were between 8-12%, this year will be around 6%. I'm still 7-12 years from retirement but it's nice to see we're on track. 

Yeah, being only 7-12 years from retirement @-OZ- will ensure any stock I suggest might not be relevant because you're getting close to the capital preservation zone, but if you know you can fully fund the ROTH immediately just do it and then make your picks as appropriate. 

But you're not THAT old so I say put half in something you believe in now and the rest after an event. Timing is a trader thing.

401k vs Roth is the oldest argument in the book. If you're even thinking about it you are probably going to be OK. Get the match if you have it. Enjoy the Roth while you can.

Same. I like the idea too, just not enough news/sales to make me comfortable with the risks vs other opportunities.  Always wary of companies that small. Will be remain on the watchlist though, thanks GM!
Well, at least you probably made some coin. I bought in at about $11, and watched as it sunk a bit, when it got back up to $11-12, I bailed. Oops.

I've been putting in a lot of time looking for my next plays...I'll be taking positions in the following early next week.

SPHB - Recent Tom Lee suggestion and it makes sense to me, but may not run for a while, especially if we see a Q1 correction

CRSP -  (this thing is a rocket ship...every smart science/doctor guy I know wont shut up about it)

Yeah, being only 7-12 years from retirement @-OZ- will ensure any stock I suggest might not be relevant because you're getting close to the capital preservation zone, but if you know you can fully fund the ROTH immediately just do it and then make your picks as appropriate. 

But you're not THAT old so I say put half in something you believe in now and the rest after an event. Timing is a trader thing.
Even with 7 years from retirement we need to invest like the money will last 47+ years.

401k vs Roth is the oldest argument in the book. If you're even thinking about it you are probably going to be OK. Get the match if you have it. Enjoy the Roth while you can.
I assumed everyone here trading stocks is doing so with money they can afford to lose. Second assumption was this group could afford to do both. Maybe I'm wrong. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I assumed everyone here trading stocks is doing so with money they can afford to lose. Second assumption was this group could afford to do both. Maybe I'm wrong. 
Nope.  I'm personally trying to figure out how to claw out a retirement in 11-15 years and way behind.  That's why I'm much more diversified than most here and take less risk.

I'm limited to $7000 total.  Probably should be doing the Roth, but the traditional helps blunt the income tax burden.  While some poke fun at a $15 win,  doing it once a day essentially increases that $7000 by 50%

Nope.  I'm personally trying to figure out how to claw out a retirement in 11-15 years and way behind.  That's why I'm much more diversified than most here and take less risk.

I'm limited to $7000 total.  Probably should be doing the Roth, but the traditional helps blunt the income tax burden.  While some poke fun at a $15 win,  doing it once a day essentially increases that $7000 by 50%
That makes sense, although you're almost treating trading as a job. Albeit, one you seem to enjoy. 

$15 wins are fun, if you enjoy it. I just don't have the patience or want to spend nearly as much time doing it as you do. 

I've been putting in a lot of time looking for my next plays...I'll be taking positions in the following early next week.

SPHB - Recent Tom Lee suggestion and it makes sense to me, but may not run for a while, especially if we see a Q1 correction

CRSP -  (this thing is a rocket ship...every smart science/doctor guy I know wont shut up about it)
Saw CRSP as one of the larger positions in one of the ARK ETFs and started looking into it more.  I'll tail this for sure.  Same for SPHB if Lee likes it.  I've developed quite the man crush on him.  

Same. I like the idea too, just not enough news/sales to make me comfortable with the risks vs other opportunities.  Always wary of companies that small. Will be remain on the watchlist though, thanks GM!
It’s done fantastic, wish I bought but I would sell in a heartbeat now and wouldn’t think twice. I probably would have bailed in the 20s. There hasn’t really been any revenue coming through yet and I know it’s early but revenue has dropped the past couple years and their last 3 quarters were at their 2019 rate. Maybe they’ll explode but most of their press releases haven’t been actual sales.

Long term, I think the battery range improvements like QS are very detrimental. What’s the point in stopping for a slower recharge when EVs can just be charged at home or work once a week or couple weeks being on a much faster charge network that’s also supplied by green energy? I can see some niche markets but I think battery tech leaps make the charging at random places not important.

Definitely made the money now, basically quadrupled. I think at 70 P/S even with the just announced quarter, there’s a lot of growth already built into the price that we haven’t seen. I’d pat GM on the back and tuck and run to another Investment. Hard to recommend any EV stocks right now because they are all sky high outside of the big car companies like GM. QS is already a $26B company with no revenue yet. Will definitely be some winners but a lot more losers. A little hard to tell which ones now and the ones that seem like future winners have already won so to speak.

Love CRSP. Bought a nice chunk of it in March at $44. Been a home run so far and it’s nice to hear it could keep rolling.

Love CRSP. Bought a nice chunk of it in March at $44. Been a home run so far and it’s nice to hear it could keep rolling.
Yeah, I’ve been in and out over the past 8 months.  As a result haven’t reaped the full rewards.  It hasn’t ran like a lot of the other growth/disruptor plays so I think there’s value in the short and long. 

Saw CRSP as one of the larger positions in one of the ARK ETFs and started looking into it more.  I'll tail this for sure.  Same for SPHB if Lee likes it.  I've developed quite the man crush on him.  
SPHB looks like a reopening play, basically, right?

FWIW, I just saw this mentioned as a watch for next week.  It was recommended to only buy if it got into the $5-$6 range for a swing.  I don't know anything about the company either.

I’m not sure I’m in the safe bucket. I think I could easily weather a 30% downturn knowing I have enough time but I’m 85% self directed. That 15% keeps growing due to contributions but is my only index/retirement year type investments. So far that’s worked wonders and honestly the stocks I invest in have been long term plays outside of a small amount. CYDY did get big and I’d call the $45k net well worth it but outside of SPACs and IPOs, I trade very little.

Even with 7 years from retirement we need to invest like the money will last 47+ years.
I am 100% with you there. My goal right now is to double my non-401k in 5 years while continuing to max our 401ks. Pre-2020, that goal was more like quadruple in 10 years. The 120% gain this year basically cut that in half. If I can double in 5, I’m done and my wife may continue to keep our healthcare costs reasonable. Using the 4% rule with the 401ks, doubling would get us to almost replacing our current income with SS. That would be an extremely comfortable retirement. I also don’t think I’d turn conservative at that point either. I don’t think I ever would. Once you get a big enough buffer you can stay the course and ride out/take advantage of downturns. 

I’m not sure I’m in the safe bucket. I think I could easily weather a 30% downturn knowing I have enough time but I’m 85% self directed. That 15% keeps growing due to contributions but is my only index/retirement year type investments. So far that’s worked wonders and honestly the stocks I invest in have been long term plays outside of a small amount. CYDY did get big and I’d call the $45k net well worth it but outside of SPACs and IPOs, I trade very little.

I am 100% with you there. My goal right now is to double my non-401k in 5 years while continuing to max our 401ks. Pre-2020, that goal was more like quadruple in 10 years. The 120% gain this year basically cut that in half. If I can double in 5, I’m done and my wife may continue to keep our healthcare costs reasonable. Using the 4% rule with the 401ks, doubling would get us to almost replacing our current income with SS. That would be an extremely comfortable retirement. I also don’t think I’d turn conservative at that point either. I don’t think I ever would. Once you get a big enough buffer you can stay the course and ride out/take advantage of downturns. 
That's the next thing for us to figure out. 

I won't stop maxing the TSP and Roth IRAs, but I need to figure out how much we need to live on between retirement and pulling from those accounts. I get that we can withdraw contributions from the Roth IRA, but we don't want to do that.  I figure our gap (expenses - pension) gives us $X. I'll pull something in a civilian pension at 62, but that's not much with 10-12 years as a civilian. More importantly, that's when we may start pulling from the retirement accounts. So, assuming we're good there (should be), we really just need to pay for ten years of $X. I guess a simple 10X works, and whatever increase over inflation is just gravy (of course it could also drop). Right now our non retirement accounts are small. Like one year's out of pocket expenses.  But with 7-12 years to grow. We could make it a goal to save one year's expenses each year in regular brokerage, or come to terms with pulling contributions from the IRA. 🤷🏼‍♂️

CRSP

also an ARK pick.

https://ark-funds.com/arkg

Users who are viewing this thread