What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Strategy for drafting 15th in a 16 team league? Help for Smail's Jr (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Trying to help my son who has a draft in 3 hours.  Just found out he's picking 15th in a 16 teamer.  Never been in a league that big. I'll run VBD with his scoring but any strategies? I imagine he'll be at the tail end of a huge RB run.  So, get 2nd tier X 2 or get Gronk or one of the elite WRs? 1 RB, 2RB, 2 WR, TE, Flex.  With only 2 WR starting plus a flex and non PPR maybe wait on those?

My first attempt with starting back to back WRs. No idea how good a 16 team should look:

Patrick Mahomes KCBYE 12

RBMarshawn Lynch OAKBYE 7

RBJamaal Williams GBBYE 7

WRMichael Thomas NOBYE 6

WRA.J. Green CINBYE 9

TETrey Burton CHIBYE 5

FLXEmmanuel Sanders DENBYE 10

i think best RB + Gronk is probably best for the first 2 picks.

Tons of WR value later.
Naturally, every draft is different. Using your plan, this is what I got. I'm pretty sure Cook wasnt there at 15 the first one I ran:

QBCarson Wentz PHIBYE 9

RBDalvin Cook MINBYE 10

WRAllen Robinson CHIBYE 5

WREmmanuel Sanders DENBYE 10

TERob Gronkowski NEBYE 11

FLXDuke Johnson CLEBYE 11

Last one...Back to back RBs:

QBKirk Cousins MINBYE 10

RBDalvin Cook MINBYE 10

RBDevonta Freeman ATLBYE 8

WRBrandin Cooks LARBYE 12

WRMarvin Jones DETBYE 6

TEEvan Engram NYGBYE 9

FLXJamison Crowder WASBYE 4

Naturally, every draft is different. Using your plan, this is what I got. I'm pretty sure Cook wasnt there at 15 the first one I ran:

QBCarson Wentz PHIBYE 9

RBDalvin Cook MINBYE 10

FLXDuke Johnson CLEBYE 11
Yeah, I think yours is better.  Here was my first attempt:

QBPatrick Mahomes KCBYE 12

RBChristian McCaffrey CARBYE 4

FLXPeyton Barber TBBYE 5

BENCH

RBBilal Powell NYJBYE 11

WRSterling Shepard NYGBYE 9

WRJohn Brown BALBYE 10

RBJordan Wilkins INDBYE 9

WRTaywan Taylor TENBYE 8

WRJames Washington PITBYE 7

QBJameis Winston TBBYE 5

I really like Gronk in a 16 teamer if he is there. I would possibly even think about Rodgers or Wilson to pair with him. 

You're not going to have an advantage at any other position anyway IMO. Gronk is the biggest bankable advantage at any position IMO. And at QB, I think it's basically Rodgers and Wilson and then a whole bunch of guys. 

After that, you're just hammering RBs and WRs. You're buying shares of guys like Jamaal Williams, Ronald Jones, Bilal Powell, Carlos Hyde, etc. Some sneaky solid guys and some guys with talent in RBBC who could explode. And then you're jumping all over the WW early willing to dump those guys and grab guys getting a chance.

If you can manage to get Gronk, it's a huge advantage.  As someone else said, you might also be able to get Rodgers or Wilson which could give you a slight advantage as well.  You can fill in WR and RB.  

It's not PPR so Gronk is not as valuable.  Also, Kelce should perform as well as him with Mahomes and KC's secondary being bad.  

You have to hope a tier 1 RB is there not named Dalvin Cook

Bigger league makes the QB and TE position even less valuable, wait on them and hammer RB/WR first 8 rounds

There will be plenty of solid QB's on the 7/8 turn. Don't take one early.   Just take the two best players. Hopefully one of them will be Gronk.   Drake could be a good 3/4 pick.

How do you figure?

shouldnt it make their vbd values even stronger?
I think... think... the idea is that you're only starting 1 of each of those, so easier to come by. RB and WRs will get swallowed up quicker in a big league.

*warning- I am not an active or even good fantastical football participant.

There is a concept called value based drafting, I forget who came up with it but you should have Spaulding read up on it.

How do you figure?

shouldnt it make their vbd values even stronger?
RB/WR is even thinner. Just supply and demand. I just did a 16 team league and there’s absolute crap at RB/WR left on waivers.Even super deep sleepers like Tray’quon Smith are gone. Best RBs left are Ito Smith and Boston Scott. However their are TEs available that I could start this week if I wanted: Austin Hooper, Ben Watson for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Judge Smails said:
Thanks guys. He took McCaffrey/Gronk and killed his draft 
McCaffrey Is a great pick and who I was gonna recommend at 15.  Gronk is pretty good there too just because TE position can be really tough in a 16 teamer.  So he killed it there.  I might have went Michael Thomas instead of Gronk, but it depends on rules.  

Brees

McCaffrey
Lynch

Barber

Ekeker

Ware

Foreman

Cole
Stills

Richardson

Ross 

Gronk

Lutz

JAX D

Only 2 WR start league but he’ll need Cole and Stills to produce or Ross to come on. Solid otherwise for 16 teamer. 

Users who are viewing this thread