What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (5 Viewers)

Binged The Boys over the weekend.  Looks like they released the first 3 eps of S2 so I watched all of s1 and the beginning of s2.  First few eps were good, a lot of WTF, fun and OH DAMN! stuff.  Kind of bogged down in the middle of S1, but with hour long eps so maybe wasnt the best idea to watch them all in 1 night.  Maybe if I spread them out a few days, would of held my attn.  The end of s1 and beginning of s2 were good.  Not sure I would rave about them, but worth watching.

Binged The Boys over the weekend.  Looks like they released the first 3 eps of S2 so I watched all of s1 and the beginning of s2.  First few eps were good, a lot of WTF, fun and OH DAMN! stuff.  Kind of bogged down in the middle of S1, but with hour long eps so maybe wasnt the best idea to watch them all in 1 night.  Maybe if I spread them out a few days, would of held my attn.  The end of s1 and beginning of s2 were good.  Not sure I would rave about them, but worth watching.
It's solid. And there's a thread for it.

Almost finished with season 3 of Man in the High Castle (I was late to the party). I liked it but it is wearing me down. How is the 4th season?
I found the 4th season “meh.”  they introduced some new players with little explanation that drove the plot. Seemed out of right field. I thought the ending was a head scratcher.  If you watched 3 seasons, might as well give it a go. I do recall the 4th being more tolerable than the 3rd. 

Andy Dufresne said:
Cosmos - Liked, bordering on loved it

Astonishing for a movie that was made with zero budget, borrowed & found props, written/directed/edited by two brothers on their own, featuring first time movie actors working for free.

The drama gets just the slightest bit melodramatic and the action just the slightest eye rolling but really, this movie is fun. Starts with a slow burn but finishes with a crescendo. 

This stuff is way better than about 99% of either the schlocky or bloated sci-fi fare out there.

This review sums it up very well.
yeah i liked this.  took a little long to get there but a fun finish

yeah i liked this.  took a little long to get there but a fun finish
Yes and no. I had the initial impression that it could have been "tightened up" too but at a high level it's a story about scientists. And the scientific process is a bit drawn out and tedious punctuated by the electric moments of discovery that crash in.

Given that, and also viewing it through the "I'm watching a really good labor of love here" lens, I can overlook the movie's shortcomings.

I also liked the use of "blue, red, green" lighting techniques. Established a neat mood with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and no. I had the initial impression that it could have been "tightened up" too but at a high level it's a story about scientists. And the scientific process is a bit drawn out and tedious punctuated by the electric moments of discovery that crash in.

Given that, and also viewing it through the "I'm watching a really good labor of love here" lens, I can overlook the movie's shortcomings.

I also liked the use of "blue, red, green" lighting techniques. Established a neat mood with that.
oh the story up until the finish was good, and so was dialogue.  i thought they could have lost 15 minutes without much effect.  minor quip.

one other thing i didn't quite get

how far away was the object?  It was blocking the satellite right?  which means low earth orbit.  but earlier they talked about how long it would have taken they guy's message to go out, be received, and be sent back, and that was more like "out by Saturn's orbit"

We have been binge watching American Horror Story. I have only seen two complete seasons ever before this (Cult, 1984)--my wife has pretty much seen them all. We are through season three- I must say. I have really enjoyed them. All seasons are going to be removed the first week of October so hopefully we can get through a couple more 

oh the story up until the finish was good, and so was dialogue.  i thought they could have lost 15 minutes without much effect.  minor quip.

one other thing i didn't quite get

how far away was the object?  It was blocking the satellite right?  which means low earth orbit.  but earlier they talked about how long it would have taken they guy's message to go out, be received, and be sent back, and that was more like "out by Saturn's orbit"
I think there are two things going on:

Mike's message wasn't returned by the object, it was returned by whatever is out at The Watering Hole. The object was there the whole time but trying to remain incognito.

We have been binge watching American Horror Story. I have only seen two complete seasons ever before this (Cult, 1984)--my wife has pretty much seen them all. We are through season three- I must say. I have really enjoyed them. All seasons are going to be removed the first week of October so hopefully we can get through a couple more 
Season 1 set the bar VERY high :excited: .  the rest, except 1984, were not good.

The Social Dilemma (Netflix documentary) - Highly recommended, and IMO a must watch.  Probably deserves it's own thread even though it's stuff we have already discussed at times.  Gets into the hows and whys of social media's influence on society from some people that were involved in the business.  How division and polarization are being used to monetize screen time by design and many other social media issues.

Feels like a good time for this doc to drop.  Without getting political I want to recommend this to some friends that seem to have a different set of facts than I have.  Not to show them I'm right and they're wrong (I avoid political discussions with friends),, but to help explain why we are currently so divided.  I do think the doc does a good job of sidestepping politics, but I'm sure most discussion about it will turn political.  :mellow:  

Cosmos - Liked, bordering on loved it

Astonishing for a movie that was made with zero budget, borrowed & found props, written/directed/edited by two brothers on their own, featuring first time movie actors working for free.

The drama gets just the slightest bit melodramatic and the action just the slightest eye rolling but really, this movie is fun. Starts with a slow burn but finishes with a crescendo. 

This stuff is way better than about 99% of either the schlocky or bloated sci-fi fare out there.

This review sums it up very well.
:blackdot:

Started watching Cobra Kai last night.  My wife and I are hooked.  Yes it's cheesy, but we were teenagers in the mid-late 80's and just find it funny and entertaining.  

Netflix

Babysitter: Killer Queen - sequel to The Babysitter. Not quite as fun as the first but close. I liked it.

#Alive - Korean zombie movie. Low budget, and not nearly the movie that is Train to Busan, but it was entertaining.

Away - Basically a hour and 30 minute mission to Mars movie stretched into 8 hours. So take the tropes of every “perilous trip to Mars” movie and add a ####load of a ####ty family soap drama. A slog at best.

HBOMax

The Alien Quadrilogy - Alien and Aliens are still two of the best movies ever made. Alien 3... not great. 4? Pretend there is no 4. Who thought this movie was a good idea? They read the script, right? Or did they just cast a bunch of people and decide to improv? My guess is they let an 8 year old write the script and had a high school AV club direct and cut the movie. 

Netflix

Away - Basically a hour and 30 minute mission to Mars movie stretched into 8 hours. So take the tropes of every “perilous trip to Mars” movie and add a ####load of a ####ty family soap drama. A slog at best.
We're 3 in. Ready to pull the plug- just finished an episode about somebody getting outed and somebody going through PT. Now THATS what I call exciting sci-fi!

It's funny too- you see video of the ISS, and pictures of Musk's giant rocket he wants to send to mars...this shows version of the ship is like they're in the Hilton...huge open spaces. And the characters- it's as if they're meeting for the first time on this trip instead of having spent years training together. Drama manufactured for its own sake certainly hasn't added to what should be the core story of going to mars. The nat geo show did this much much better so far.

Started watching Cobra Kai last night.  My wife and I are hooked.  Yes it's cheesy, but we were teenagers in the mid-late 80's and just find it funny and entertaining.  
Just finished it up.  Didn't like how S2 finished up, but still a fun series.

Kingdom next for me.

falguy said:
Based on the recommendations posted earlier I started watching this a few days ago and have to say it is excellent.  I've only seen 6 episodes but really enjoying it thus far.
My 3rd time mentioning this here in this thread - the best show on Netflix no one knows about.

Jay Kulina steals the show.

So Netflix and the guys who did GoT are now off to do The Three Body Problem.  

So IN.

Next huge hit.
I read the first book, but didn't get into it enough to continue.  I did think it would be good in an HBO or Netflix series, so good to hear.  When is it coming out?

Anyone watching "Raised By Wolves" on HBO Max?

It has its moments, but sort of slow.  I think 5 episodes are out now.

Anyone watching "Raised By Wolves" on HBO Max?

It has its moments, but sort of slow.  I think 5 episodes are out now.
I'm all-in through 4 episodes. There's a separate thread for it here, but not much interest.  Has its flaws, but I think its great sci-fi so far.  Ridley Scott influence is readily apparent.

Yes they are different.

Last Kingdom is about Vikings and Utred son of Utred.

Kingdom is about MMA

And comparing Cobra Kai to Kingdom is insulting. Not sure who should be insulted but it’s still insulting.
I don’t think anyone compared those two shows to each other. I too had just finished watching CK, a light throwback show, and then started Kingdom which is a very different fn show which is why I told him to buckle up. 

I don’t think anyone compared those two shows to each other. I too had just finished watching CK, a light throwback show, and then started Kingdom which is a very different fn show which is why I told him to buckle up. 
Agreed.  Wasn't comparing them.  Like you, was just mentioning that I was done with one and moving on to the other.

How about the Red Rising books?  Any word on if it would be made into a series?

I think it would be great if HBO took it on.

Well, I finished Star Trek Voyager a month or so ago, and I finished Star Trek Enterprise last night. Overall, I don't think t.v. would be missing much if neither of these shows existed.

Voyager definitely improved towards the end of season two and was o.k. from then on (roughly the time they introduced 7 of 9 and the holographic doctor got more emphasis). The other characters became somewhat less annoying, though the captain never really did.

Enterprise started o.k., and I think the characters were better than those in Voyager. It kind of fell apart as it went along though, the last season was pretty crummy and the final episode is one of the worst final episodes of a series I've ever seen. I have no idea what they thought they were trying to do there. A big part of the problem was the reliance on time travel and multidimensional nonsense. I've never been a big fan of those plot devices, they're hardly ever executed well enough to be worth it, and this show was definitely no exception. Time traveling Nazi aliens in New York? Horrible. This one also suffered by seemingly requiring itself to cover every trivial element brought up in the original series (still far and away the best) in some way. For example, we didn't really need a freedom fighter / terrorist backstory for T'Pau. Lots of stuff like that. The acting was very hit and miss as well - Scott Bakula and Jolene Blaylock were particularly bad, which is a big problem since they're 2 of the 3 most prominent characters.

I tried to start up Deep Space 9 again last night, but the early episodes of that are not good either. I may skip ahead to when things improved since I've already watched the series once. Avery Brooks does a lousy job in his role for the most part, but Quark, Odo, Garak, and a bunch of other regulars make it worthwhile. Even Bahsir picks it up eventually.

I watched the 2nd season of Stranger Things and actually enjoyed it a little more than the first one (though it started slower).

Young Wallander: rookie cop stumbles into hate crime. Prequel to the book series. 7.5/10.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things: young woman travels with boyfriend to meet his parents on secluded farm. Directed by Charlie Kaufman. The car scenes to the farm and leaving the farm are dreadfully boring but the family scenes almost make up for it...almost. 5/10.

Bridge Curse: university students, planning a bravery initiation test for their fellow classmates, choose a campus bridge rumored to be haunted by a vengeful female ghost. Not dreadful but have seen better elsewhere. 6/10.

Unknown Origins: A detective must find a serial killer who leaves clues that only his mentor's nerdy comics-loving son can decipher.  Liked it better than I thought I would. 6.5/10.

The Sleepover: Siblings Clancy and Kevin discover that their seemingly normal mum is actually a former high-end thief in the witness protection programme. Young adult-ish but worth a watch. 7/10.

Teenage Bounty Hunters: Twin sisters Blair and Sterling balance teen life at an elite Southern high school with an unlikely new career as butt-kicking bounty hunters. Also, stars Dwayne from A Different World as the bounty hunter.  Had low hopes based on the title alone but was pleasantly surprised. 7.5/10.

The Great Heist: Semi-fictional account of the 1994 robbery of $33 million from Colombia's central bank rocks the country.  if you have seen or liked Money Heist, this is essentially the same thing. 7/10.

Young Wallander: rookie cop stumbles into hate crime. Prequel to the book series. 7.5/10.
I started this like last week and until you mentioned it, had forgotten I was watching it, so I can’t exactly give it a ringing endorsement. Distracted by return of The Boys and Lovecrsft Country I guess.

Not as good as Old Wallender, but I am sucker for all the barren/desolate landscape Cops shows (Hinterland, Shetland, Wallender, etc.) and this one definitely isn’t that.

Still,  now you’ve reminded me I will most likely finish up the season.

Holy smokes, Kingdom is such an amazing show.  Can't get enough of it.  Absolutely agree re: Jay Kulina character. 

Binge watching the hell out of this show.  Don't give up after the first 1-2 episodes.  I remember thinking "I'm not sure if I like this or not".  So glad I stuck with it. 
I started this based on recommendations of this thread. I just watched 2 episodes (#2 was kinda slow), and will stick with it with higher expectations.

BTW, does the Lisa character get naked in the future? Cuz that would be awful and not enjoyable at all... :unsure:

@Gr00vus I'm glad to read your reviews of those Trek series. As big of a fan as I was of TOS & TNG I've had almost zero interest in any other Trek series. Sounds like I'm missing nothing.

Well, I finished Star Trek Voyager a month or so ago, and I finished Star Trek Enterprise last night. Overall, I don't think t.v. would be missing much if neither of these shows existed..

I tried to start up Deep Space 9 again last night, but the early episodes of that are not good either. I may skip ahead to when things improved since I've already watched the series once. Avery Brooks does a lousy job in his role for the most part, but Quark, Odo, Garak, and a bunch of other regulars make it worthwhile. Even Bahsir picks it up eventually.
Wow, a glutton for punishment. You couldn’t even pay me to watch either of Voyager or Enterprise again and you are spot on about the over use of time travel plot devices (which apparently Discovery has screwed up and gone this route as well.)

Speaking of DS9, I stumbled on a crowd funded documentary a week ago from last year called “What We Left Behind” which was a retrospective on DS9. Its pretty solid but way too much tooting of their own horns (they revolutionized serialized storytelling? There’s a little show called Babylon 5 you might have heard of since Paramount ripped them off), no new Avery Brooks footage (he unfortunately has totally distanced himself from all things DS9) and Ira Steven Behr self-felating his ego (some particularly cringe worthy scripted bits including one woke moment where he talks about how Garak should have been out of the closet gay on the show.) Some nice fan service moments and some cringe ones like some scripted singing bits at the beginning (I hated the Vic Fontaine lounge singer episodes) and they weren’t afraid to discuss some stickier elements such as how DS9 was a very political show and some of those politics like racism and homelessness are still front and center today, how the Kira-centric terrorist episodes would not be written the same way these days, how the rest of the cast was threatened by Michael Dorn coming over as Worf, or going into decent depth about how Terry Farrell got screwed over (although they let Rick Berman and Kerry McCluggage off way too easy on that point. Probably didn’t want to rock the boat so they could use the footage.)

If you are a DS9 fan it is definitely worth checking out for all the restored HD footage, highlighted by the battle scene in Sacrifice of Angels but also a lot of shots from various episodes that look amazing. The crowd funding for the piece raised a bunch of extra money that they put towards updating these scenes in HD, it’s the closest we may ever come to a full HD cleanup of DS9.

Wow, a glutton for punishment. You couldn’t even pay me to watch either of Voyager or Enterprise again and you are spot on about the over use of time travel plot devices (which apparently Discovery has screwed up and gone this route as well.)

Speaking of DS9, I stumbled on a crowd funded documentary a week ago from last year called “What We Left Behind” which was a retrospective on DS9. Its pretty solid but way too much tooting of their own horns (they revolutionized serialized storytelling? There’s a little show called Babylon 5 you might have heard of since Paramount ripped them off), no new Avery Brooks footage (he unfortunately has totally distanced himself from all things DS9) and Ira Steven Behr self-felating his ego (some particularly cringe worthy scripted bits including one woke moment where he talks about how Garak should have been out of the closet gay on the show.) Some nice fan service moments and some cringe ones like some scripted singing bits at the beginning (I hated the Vic Fontaine lounge singer episodes) and they weren’t afraid to discuss some stickier elements such as how DS9 was a very political show and some of those politics like racism and homelessness are still front and center today, how the Kira-centric terrorist episodes would not be written the same way these days, how the rest of the cast was threatened by Michael Dorn coming over as Worf, or going into decent depth about how Terry Farrell got screwed over (although they let Rick Berman and Kerry McCluggage off way too easy on that point. Probably didn’t want to rock the boat so they could use the footage.)

If you are a DS9 fan it is definitely worth checking out for all the restored HD footage, highlighted by the battle scene in Sacrifice of Angels but also a lot of shots from various episodes that look amazing. The crowd funding for the piece raised a bunch of extra money that they put towards updating these scenes in HD, it’s the closest we may ever come to a full HD cleanup of DS9.
I'll try to check that out. Is it youtube only, or is on some streaming service (Netflix or whatever)?

I don't know that I'd say Terry Farrel got screwed over - she took a job on another show (Becker) and then wanted a reduced work schedule on DS9 so she could do both. The producers probably should have accommodated her (particularly considering how bad the whole Ezri thing turned out), but I can't put it all on them, she put them in a tough position.

@Gr00vus I'm glad to read your reviews of those Trek series. As big of a fan as I was of TOS & TNG I've had almost zero interest in any other Trek series. Sounds like I'm missing nothing.
I liked Deep Space 9 better than the Next Generation. As with TNG it takes about a season or so before it really hits its stride, the low point (for me) being "Move Along Home", which is episode 10 season 1. There are some other clunkers among the other 6 seasons too, there are some hokey elements in it (and unfortunately the time travel/multidimensional plot devices appear as well) but overall it gets pretty good. I think it's worth checking out if you have room in your viewing schedule. In The Pale Moonlight might be the best Trek episode ever (any series).

I'll try to check that out. Is it youtube only, or is on some streaming service (Netflix or whatever)?

I don't know that I'd say Terry Farrel got screwed over - she took a job on another show (Becker) and then wanted a reduced work schedule on DS9 so she could do both. The producers probably should have accommodated her (particularly considering how bad the whole Ezri thing turned out), but I can't put it all on them, she put them in a tough position.
I think it was on IMDBtv but may be available on some other streaming services.

There's a lot of different stories on what happened with Farrell with he said / she said over the years. I don't believe she landed Becker until after they told her they weren't bringing her back for season 7 of DS9, but she was asked to read for a part for Seinfeld and the show brass wouldn't let her which was one of the things that led to her departure. The documentary goes into a quite a bit more detail than I thought they would to be honest as usually they try to smooth these types of things over in retrospectives. Whether you buy her side of the story or not I'll leave up to others to make up their mind, but its obvious they danced around the subject when interviewing Berman (showrunner) and McCluggage (Paramount exec); I don't think they even asked either guy a question about it at all. You can tell the other cast/writers/production people as well that some of them had strong feelings on the subject while others were very uncomfortable even discussing it. There was one odd moment where one of the main writers didn't even remember that they killed her character off.

Would also recommend DS9. First two seasons are rough and the story doesn't really get going until the final episode of season 2 but its worth it. A lot of Trek "purists" don't like it as the show is at odds with a lot of Roddenberry's original philosophy and positive vision of the future. Characters are more flawed, the show is a lot darker and deals with many darker themes and that definitely conflicts with those ideals. There is even a war that breaks out that is central to the overall plot. But I think most viewers can separate out these differences and understand how it may be different from traditional Trek, but it has a lot of good in it. It's miles better than Voyager which aired at the same time and got way more attention, budget and love at the time.

Pale Moonlight already mentioned is a great episode, but my favorite is "The Visitor" in season 4. Those two and "Far Beyond the Stars" are typically considered the 3 best of the series and measure up to other classic episodes like Darmok, Inner Light, Best of Both Worlds, etc.

Mrs Maisel is a great example of a show that should have been one season and done.  Great premise, funny, etc but it went off the cliff from the jump of season 2 and I couldnt even get past a couple of episodes in s3.    Just off a cliff

• Smile
Reactions: Zow

Users who are viewing this thread