What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (4 Viewers)

Fear Street - Netflix: I finally watched these three movies and enjoyed them.  I thought the 70s movie was the best, and the 1666 time using the same actors was pretty neat.  The movies ended up being pretty gruesome, without really being scary at all.  I wonder if it was supposed to be a TV series or if was going to be a trilogy of movies from the beginning.  I guess I wonder what the difference is, too - Sherlock had three 90 minute episodes per season, I'm not sure that's very different from a trilogy of 110 minute long movies released over 3 week.

Something I liked was that they didn't explain every single thing - they gave us the backstory on about 4 killers, but there were another 3-4 that showed up with no backstory, and that was pretty cool.  Probably a nod to the books, which I never read.

wife stared watching Queen of the South and now i'm hooked because of Alice Braga   :wub:  

thought i recognized her from somewhere. she was Angelica in City of God
Did a search to see if anyone brought this show up before. I just started, and I cannot believe this originated on USA Network. First season is great, hoping the final 4 seasons are close to as good. 

Did a search to see if anyone brought this show up before. I just started, and I cannot believe this originated on USA Network. First season is great, hoping the final 4 seasons are close to as good. 
All seasons of Queen of the south are great. I was so disappointed when it ended. Enjoy.

it veers pretty heavily in to soap opera territory. we're in the middle of season 3 and my wife tapped out. last night in fact. said it was getting too cheesy even for her.

still, not bad. mindless entertainment.

I think I've run out of good true crime docuseries or I'm just burned out on them.  Tried Bad Vegan and Wild Wild Country and they just aren't clicking.  Stuff like Dont #### with Cats and Gabriel Fernandez were excellent, but recently its all been ####e.
Wild wild country is really good. 

All seasons of Queen of the south are great. I was so disappointed when it ended. Enjoy.
Just started on Queen of the South yesterday. About 6 episodes in and S1 seems really good.

Kinda like someone was inspired by : Weeds, Narcos Mexico, & The Cleaning Lady.

Life and Beth with Amy Schumer and Michael Cera is pretty funny. It started off a little slow but got better. The mushrooms episode was fantastic.

Jimmy Saville: A British Horror Story on netflix looks a little crazy. I never heard of the guy.
It’s okay. Interesting story but pacing was off for me. 
Agreed. Even though it's an interesting story and someone I'm surprised I never heard of, it's hard to recommend the doc.

The whole first episode was about the guy's story and the second was delving into what he did. It could easily have been edited to half the run time. And not that I need all the salacious details, they really didn't seem to address the accusations well enough. Being that he was such a celebrity, they should have had more reactions from those around him although I'm sure no one wants to admit to being friends with him anymore. Just poorly done, imo.

A couple of others that are not recommended:

Pam and Tommy - Again, probably could have been told in half the time. 

Inventing Anna - Never finished it.

Julia - Struggling getting through it. I wish they would just stick to her story and not invent fictional characters to try and be inclusive. The woman playing Julia Child is excellent in it though.

Thank God Saul is back and Ozark is back soon.

My Brilliant Friend is mesmerizing. I can’t get over how good this is. It’s gorgeously shot, I can’t think of another show that is even close to this beautiful. Some of these scenes look like paintings. The acting is incredible, it’s a terrific story, I truly can’t believe this show isn’t more popular. I know that subtitles are a entry barrier, and it was for me here too but this is peak television. 
Just finished 4 episodes and couldn't agree more. Absolutely stunning, fantastic television.

Highly recommend. 

Glad to hear! We are finishing the end of season 3 tomorrow. It’s been excellent. 
With the exception of Better Call Saul, I never watch a show until its run is completely over, but the two of you really are tempting me to launch this one.  Maybe 75% done should be enough…

Last edited by a moderator:
With the exception of Better Call Saul, I never watch a show until its run is completely over, but the two of you really are tempting me to launch this one.  Maybe 75% done should be enough…
Oh yes I get that but this one is worth it. It’s only going to be 4 seasons and they got the go for season 4 already. I hate I can’t see how it ends right now. :lol:   I guess we’ve binged it but one episode a night. Each episode is…well I don’t know how to say this without sounding like some stupid critic, but each episode is pretty rich so you won’t likely watch 3 in a night imo. It’ll take some time to get through them. 

My Brilliant Friend is mesmerizing. I can’t get over how good this is. It’s gorgeously shot, I can’t think of another show that is even close to this beautiful. Some of these scenes look like paintings. The acting is incredible, it’s a terrific story, I truly can’t believe this show isn’t more popular. I know that subtitles are a entry barrier, and it was for me here too but this is peak television. 
Just finished 4 episodes and couldn't agree more. Absolutely stunning, fantastic television.

Highly recommend. 
if @James Daulton is also in on this, I'll have considered the warning signs *posted*

I have a certain nails on a chalkboard response to a lot of Italian tv and film... can't explain it- a certain type of over the top sentimental schmaltz I noticed when I was over there that just rubbed and rubs me all kinds of wrong.

but I'm sure this one is different. 

if @James Daulton is also in on this, I'll have considered the warning signs *posted*

I have a certain nails on a chalkboard response to a lot of Italian tv and film... can't explain it- a certain type of over the top sentimental schmaltz I noticed when I was over there that just rubbed and rubs me all kinds of wrong.

Sentimental, maybe a little, but definitely not schmaltz.

wait a sec... didn't this come out recently? I didn't finish the recent season... are you saying there's another season coming out?
They split the final season in 2. The first 7 episodes were released in January and the final 7 come out on April 29th.

Yea I wouldn’t say this show is sentimental at all really. Maybe a few instances of lost childhood stuff but it’s more of dealing with the realities of a difficult friend and growing apart from the life and neighborhood she was raised in. 

I know it paints me as a yokel, but I have a hard time watching shows with subtitles, or worse yet, dubbed in English. I couldn't make it through even two episodes of Squid Game.
Nah I get it. Some Korean movies, and squid game actually got me used to it. I think of it like going to the movies where you are just focused on the screen and not browsing your phone etc. Keeps you locked in. 

WeCrashed on Apple TV has been an easy watch. About the WeWork debacle. Jared Leto is very good as the main guy. 
Ann Hathaway is crushing it. So cringe. Go lookup YouTube interviews of Rebekah Paltrow Neumann. 21st century Marie Antoinette. Ex-WeWork employees say all the bonkers stuff actually happened (slightly different order/compressed) & the only thing not quite right is Adam was even more charismatic than he’s being depicted.

1.7Bn buyout + 185Mn consulting fees are first ballot hall of fame numbers. The guy who founded/runs SoftBank lost 70Bn (99% of their valuation) in the dot com era. Incredible comeback - then turns down Tesla & backs WeWork.

Anybody want to admit to watching The Ultimatum (similar-ish series to Love Is Blind).

What a bunch of train wreck couples.  I demand many more seasons.
:hey: .....wife and I like to mix in some trash TV every once in awhile to make us feel better about ourselves.....this works nicely.....

Ann Hathaway is crushing it. So cringe. Go lookup YouTube interviews of Rebekah Paltrow Neumann. 21st century Marie Antoinette. Ex-WeWork employees say all the bonkers stuff actually happened (slightly different order/compressed) & the only thing not quite right is Adam was even more charismatic than he’s being depicted.

1.7Bn buyout + 185Mn consulting fees are first ballot hall of fame numbers. The guy who founded/runs SoftBank lost 70Bn (99% of their valuation) in the dot com era. Incredible comeback - then turns down Tesla & backs WeWork.
I didn’t know that about the SoftBank guy. He is still worth 24 billion and Adam is worth SPOILER ahead for those who don’t know the story and are waiting for this week’s finale…1.4 billion. Just amazing.

It is funny that Anthony Edwards (Goose!) has found a niche playing the stupid banker guy who gets scammed. Played the exact same guy in Inventing Anna. Didn’t have to change outfits :lol:  

I know it paints me as a yokel, but I have a hard time watching shows with subtitles, or worse yet, dubbed in English. I couldn't make it through even two episodes of Squid Game.
I am the exact same way.  Watching dubbed shows really drives me nuts.  It just makes the show seem extremely cheesy to me or that something is just off and I really lose interest pretty quickly.  It just doesn't hold my attention.  

It is funny that Anthony Edwards (Goose!) has found a niche playing the stupid banker guy who gets scammed. Played the exact same guy in Inventing Anna. Didn’t have to change outfits :lol:  
I totally missed that! Never watch credits or think about who’s who. He’s good in that role but Cameron is my favorite bit player.

I was recruited to come to NYC during the dot com bubble & went through an IPO. Sat across from guys like Cameron, total master of the universe I-banker types (& if they went to Harvard it’s getting name checked inside 5 minutes.)

I am the exact same way.  Watching dubbed shows really drives me nuts.  It just makes the show seem extremely cheesy to me or that something is just off and I really lose interest pretty quickly.  It just doesn't hold my attention.  
dubbing is the worst.

the company that owns the local rights hires a translator and a couple crap voice-over people who speed read through the script. I can't think of a show that dubbing hasn't ruined, tbh.

Peninsula (AMC+) is shockingly bad. It’s the sequel to Train to Busan, which is pretty decent. But man, this is trash.  The driving scenes are probably the worst I’ve ever seen, zombie mob animation was terrible, and the physics were just all jacked up all the time, with zombies running as fast as cars and accelerating instantly to full speed… most of the movie looked like a bad 1995 video game.

The JW Gacy Tapes

How anything like him is able to walk around on this earth and do the things he did,  I’ll never understand 

ETA: Thank goodness for DNA tech, to finally give these families (to the still unidentified victims) some closure.

Halo

"I know how to play the game Cortana!"   :lol:

That was awesome, going to say that to the wife every time we're playing and she's yelling at me.

Users who are viewing this thread