What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (6 Viewers)

Finished a couple of series recently.

Jury Duty - 7/10. Obviously living in this world and oftentimes living it in a very real, serious way this show was fun for me with the levity it brought. They couldn't have chosen a better main character (or, shall we say, "mark"). What I didn't really like is how the show really cut out a lot of the trial itself and made it seem like jury duty was some big party when it's really not. I would have liked more of the trial and deliberations and less of the hijinks that seemed force. That said, the main guy is very endearing and the other actors did a really nice job. I'd recommend.

The Last Thing He Told Me - 5.5/10. Started out with an interesting premise but really fell kind of flat once the "secret" or whatever was revealed. The ending was also very dissatisfying and the hyperbolic portrayal of the teenage daughter got old pretty quickly. Plus, as is common with thrillers, the main characters' decision-making were absurdly dumb at time. It's not an awful show if you're in to the Harlan Cobin to borlderine Hallmark type series.

Last edited:
Heading into that time of year where Mrs. Reilly takes my older son off to camp and I'm home for a month with my eight year old, who's generally in bed by 7:30. All of which is to say I will have lots of time over the next month to catch up on all my binge watching. Here's what's currently on my list; what else should I add?
  • The Bear (watched the series premiere and liked it, but never got around to watching the rest)
  • Jury Duty
  • I Think You Should Leave
  • What We Do in the Shadows
  • Love on the Spectrum (both of my kids are autistic, but my wife refuses to watch the show because she views TV as an escape)
  • Gaslit
  • Upload
Jury Duty - The best thing about it was the episode length. It was bleh for me. I think the concept is really interesting and could be good but I didn't like the "mark" and it just missed for me. I am not sure why it missed. I just didn't care for it all that much.

Heading into that time of year where Mrs. Reilly takes my older son off to camp and I'm home for a month with my eight year old, who's generally in bed by 7:30. All of which is to say I will have lots of time over the next month to catch up on all my binge watching. Here's what's currently on my list; what else should I add?
  • The Bear (watched the series premiere and liked it, but never got around to watching the rest)
  • Jury Duty
  • I Think You Should Leave
  • What We Do in the Shadows
  • Love on the Spectrum (both of my kids are autistic, but my wife refuses to watch the show because she views TV as an escape)
  • Gaslit
  • Upload
Jury Duty - The best thing about it was the episode length. It was bleh for me. I think the concept is really interesting and could be good but I didn't like the "mark" and it just missed for me. I am not sure why it missed. I just didn't care for it all that much.

James Marsden jumping on a bed to help simulate sex was a pretty funny bit.

Two things I watched recently that I enjoyed:

American Gladiators on ESPN 30 for 30 - 2 part documentary on the American Gladiators, the founding of it and the drama behind the scenes between the founder and his partners, and with the gladiators and a look at where some of them are now. I was a teenager when it first aired so it was both nostalgic and interesting.

Hit and Run - Netflix - An Israeli-American show. A good espionage thriller with a mix of intrigue and whodunnit type things and action/violence. Basically a former Israeli Special Ops soldier turned tour guide's American wife is killed in an apparent Hit and Run, but then layers of the onion get peeled away and it is more than a random hit and run. I don't want to share too much more and give away too many spoilers. Fair warning, it's a mix of several languages so there is subtitles for the non-English parts, which there is a lot of.

Just saw the list of delayed shows due to the writer's strike. WTF are we gonna watch?
Got mentioned in the American Gladiators documentary, but the year AG first got picked up and debuted - writer's strike. The 2008 reboot with Hulk Hogan as the host - writer's strike.

So I guess since history likes repeating itself, we're in store for another AG reboot.

American Gladiators on ESPN 30 for 30 - 2 part documentary on the American Gladiators, the founding of it and the drama behind the scenes between the founder and his partners, and with the gladiators and a look at where some of them are now. I was a teenager when it first aired so it was both nostalgic and interesting.

I really enjoyed it. One of the better 30 for 30s. So many parallels to a pro wrestlers life. Definitely feel for the real creator of that show.

Small Light

NatGeo (Hulu & Disney+)

Basically it's the story of the Anne Frank family from the perspective of Miep Gies, Otto Frank's secretary who hid them in an annex of the business for 25 months. Her husband joins the Dutch resistance.

Well written and really good storytelling. The chick who played Pete Davidson's gf in King of Staten Island is the lead. Bel Powley is terrific in all 8 episodes. 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I'm usually not too keen about watching a drama about the Holocaust - who wants to watch a funeral, right? We've had Anne Frank burned into our consciousness for 75+ years. But this is different.

Has a lighthearted Marvelous Mrs. Maisel feel (though it knows when to pull back), surprisingly funny, characters you want to know more about. You know how it ends but keep hoping against it. You get a pretty good sense of how ordinary people do whatever needs to be done to hold on to their humanity....even when they're surrounded by madness.

Surprised this isn't getting more press, haven't found a bad review on it. Total home run but guess the subject matter probably makes people say nope real quick. Great series, though.

edit fixed linky

What the hell happened to “Barry” this season?
What do you mean? I thought it was great. Hader had a vision from the beginning and he saw it through. Also may have been one of the most visually interesting shows in recent memories, down to the shootout in the series finale
Too odd and strange overall tone to many of the episodes. Too much of the GF. Watched them all but was a struggle for some of episodes.

Sounds like I need to try I Think You Should Leave. I should put that on my to-do list for this weekend.
It's not your standard sketch comedy show - it's a very unique style. I guess it would fall under the "cringe" comedy realm. It's hard to say why it's funny, but there were times I couldn't stop laughing. I do know others that didn't "get it" at all though.

Sounds like I need to try I Think You Should Leave. I should put that on my to-do list for this weekend.
It's not your standard sketch comedy show - it's a very unique style. I guess it would fall under the "cringe" comedy realm. It's hard to say why it's funny, but there were times I couldn't stop laughing. I do know others that didn't "get it" at all though.
Yeah, I typically like that sort of thing. Curb and Nathan for You both rank way up there for me in my comedy rankings.

sweet tooth season 2 is out on netflix, season 1 was decent so i’ll be checking this out eventually.
Binged all of S2 on plane ride to/from east coast last week. While I thought it was good and I'll certainly keep watching new seasons, I felt S1 was way better.

Anyone else watch?

We regularly quote a couple episodes around the 4 household. Love it.

Just FYI, Netflix seems to finally be following through on its sharing crackdown. We use a friend's but today we were locked out because it wasn't part of the official household. Oh well ...

Yeah, I typically like that sort of thing. Curb and Nathan for You both rank way up there for me in my comedy rankings.
I’d be shocked if you don’t like it based on the other two shows you mentioned

I don’t know much about anime so I’m not sure how it fits within that genre but I’ve been loving Vinland Saga. Obviously they are totally different but if you liked The Last Kingdom I think it’s worth a shot. I prefer the Japanese audio with subtitles

sweet tooth season 2 is out on netflix, season 1 was decent so i’ll be checking this out eventually.
Binged all of S2 on plane ride to/from east coast last week. While I thought it was good and I'll certainly keep watching new seasons, I felt S1 was way better.

Anyone else watch?
Watched the first 2-3 eps of s2 and lost interest. We liked s1 quite a bit, so may give it another shot. Just didn't care about the animal kids (acting and puppets not so hot).

Just FYI, Netflix seems to finally be following through on its sharing crackdown. We use a friend's but today we were locked out because it wasn't part of the official household. Oh well ...
Just click on the "on vacation" button and it will send a code to the owners phone. Have them text it to you and you enter it and you get in like normal.

Anyone else watch?
Watched the first 2-3 eps of s2 and lost interest. We liked s1 quite a bit, so may give it another shot. Just didn't care about the animal kids (acting and puppets not so hot).
Yeah the entire season is mainly about the kids in the zoo with some action mixed in. S1 was definitely better.

What kind of message did you get? Would like to give my daughter a heads up beyond "be on the lookoout"

Just click on the "on vacation" button and it will send a code to the owners phone. Have them text it to you and you enter it and you get in like normal.
Except for my understanding, that resets the home location to where you currently are. meaning, the main account holder would have to reset things back later. seems like a pita.

Except for my understanding, that resets the home location to where you currently are. meaning, the main account holder would have to reset things back later. seems like a pita.
I think the idea is if you're traveling and you want to access Netflix on your laptop (but a different Wifi network, obvs) you can do it. However, I think it expires if you haven't logged back into the home network with that device within 30 days. I suppose you could keep doing that every 30 days, though maybe they'll flag repeated usage. We'll probably just pay for our own account

I have done it a couple times with the account we share and our friends have reported no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread