What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (5 Viewers)

Can anyone recommend a scifi show, based on a book, where they don't go changing all the characters around. Peter Jackson made me mad when he ruined the Ents and other stuff, but Wheel of Time and Foundation are just taking it to another level and ruining great books.
: oldmanyellsatcloud:
The Expanse is amazing.
I enjoyed it, but didn't love the final season as much unfortunately.

Have covid, watching Andor AGAIN, lol.

"Nobody is listening!!!"

Best one season show ever imo.

Special Ops Lioness on Paramount plus has been decent so far, it's a Taylor Sheridan spy/terrorist show staring Zoe Saldana, Nicole Kidman, and what feels like every other actor from all of Sheridan's other shows. That said, so far it has had just the right amount of action and plot to keep me interested in it after 4 episodes.
Solid show. Very Jack Ryan-like, but better, IMO.
Season finale was superb. Great season, great show.

Just finished this. REALLY enjoyed it. Very tense, great action, and yet they dove into the toll it takes on the characters and whether it is all justifiable. Good stuff.

Not sure what to make of this. Its crazy to think I'm going to watch a paid subscription-based content provider and get ads during movies and shows. That said, the $2.99 isn't all that much if you watch a ton of Prime shows. There have been a few good ones.

Dear Prime member,

We are writing to you today about an upcoming change to your Prime Video experience. Starting January 29, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements. This will allow us to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time. We aim to have meaningfully fewer ads than linear TV and other streaming TV providers. No action is required from you, and there is no change to the current price of your Prime membership. We will also offer a new ad-free option for an additional $2.99 per month* that you can sign up for here.
there was an article on reddit a few days ago, maybe a link to Business Insider or something, saying that 2024 is projected to be the year we finally see some of these streaming services merge and/or disappear altogether.

i imagine fees are going up for all of them as they try figuring out how to make money. interested to see which survive and how much their monthly fees shoot up.

eta: this isn't the article i was thinking of but it's one of many on the same topic.

Best episode of TV I watched this year: Forks - the Bear

HM - Connor's Wedding - Succession
Are your sure you dont mean Fishes? I thought that might be a top 5 episode of all time.
Forks resonated more with me in terms of one of the all time great character arc payoffs. Loved Fishes too though.
I thought Fishes was among the top TV episodes ever regarding the development of tension. Right up there with several moments in Breaking Bad but the Bear’s tension seemed even more concentrated and prolonged. It was painful yet brilliant to watch.
Just got to Fishes last night. One of the best episodes of television I’ve ever seen, and indeed just as tense as the best Breaking Bad episodes even though the subject matter is very different. Hopefully I’ll get to Forks today.

I just can't believe the reasom streaming became so popular is turning into the thing they replaced.

Does that make sense? I'm high
Streaming has been trending towards this all along. I remember when they started releasing episodes of a show one or two at a time instead of all the episodes at one time.

Are your sure you dont mean Fishes? I thought that might be a top 5 episode of all time.
Forks resonated more with me in terms of one of the all time great character arc payoffs. Loved Fishes too though.
I thought Fishes was among the top TV episodes ever regarding the development of tension. Right up there with several moments in Breaking Bad but the Bear’s tension seemed even more concentrated and prolonged. It was painful yet brilliant to watch.
Just got to Fishes last night. One of the best episodes of television I’ve ever seen, and indeed just as tense as the best Breaking Bad episodes even though the subject matter is very different. Hopefully I’ll get to Forks today.
Very different episodes.

Very different episodes.
Forks was excellent as well. I’d probably place it third after Fishes and Review (S1E7).

Really enjoying season 2 of Reacher so far( just finished episode 4).
Storyline was a slow burn to the why which was great to see.

Most shows would have rushed the why, but they built it up pretty well. :thumbup:

Finished up The Bear S2.

Excellent season. Looking forward to S3.

Richie is now Da Man.

I was of the extreme minority opinion that Richie was the best character in Season 1. I stand by that belief, and for a couple of weeks after watching episode 7, I went around the house saying "I wear suits now." It was more charming than it sounds...I hope.
Richie was already fascinating as a loudmouth eff-up whose heart is in the right place, and now he’s starting to figure out how not to be an eff-up (but he will always be a loudmouth). It would have been so easy to Flanderize this character but the writers did the opposite.

Finished up The Bear S2.

Excellent season. Looking forward to S3.

Richie is now Da Man.

I was of the extreme minority opinion that Richie was the best character in Season 1. I stand by that belief, and for a couple of weeks after watching episode 7, I went around the house saying "I wear suits now." It was more charming than it sounds...I hope.
Richie was already fascinating as a loudmouth eff-up whose heart is in the right place, and now he’s starting to figure out how not to be an eff-up (but he will always be a loudmouth). It would have been so easy to Flanderize this character but the writers did the opposite.
:goodposting:
Learn something new every day. Had to Google "Flanderize" because I didn't realize there was a term for it.

Yesterday I watched s1 of HALO. 1st season was on Prime but after 12/31 it's only available on Paramount.
Never played the game and I know it got bad reviews but I enjoyed it. Thought the acting and story were ok and the special effects were really good. A little bit of a Mandolorian feel.

Yesterday I watched s1 of HALO. 1st season was on Prime but after 12/31 it's only available on Paramount.
Never played the game and I know it got bad reviews but I enjoyed it. Thought the acting and story were ok and the special effects were really good. A little bit of a Mandolorian feel.
I enjoyed it too... Also didn't play the game.

I just saw S2 is coming out in Feb

Really enjoying season 2 of Reacher so far( just finished episode 4).
Storyline was a slow burn to the why which was great to see.

Most shows would have rushed the why, but they built it up pretty well. :thumbup:
No drop off in season 2 at all.
I'm through episode four and I still prefer season one - I think because I really enjoyed the supporting leads and I didn't know much about the character so I was enjoying learning his traits (I never watched the Cruise movie or read the books). That said, the production, writing, and pure fun this second season is still there.

Binged I am Not OK with This today... And I am not ok that there's no 2nd season. Fun show.
Yeah, didn't know they had already canceled the second season when I watched it and was bummed to learn it wouldn't continue - especially given the cliffhanger at the end of the season.

Binged I am Not OK with This today... And I am not ok that there's no 2nd season. Fun show.
Yeah, didn't know they had already canceled the second season when I watched it and was bummed to learn it wouldn't continue - especially given the cliffhanger at the end of the season.
This type of thing is one big reason, along with the price increase, that I stopped subscribing to Netflix. I’m so tired of them not giving many shows a chance to grow at all. There are so many shows I’ve watched the first season and been somewhat interested only to never have another season made.

Honestly I think the binge model that grew so popular is largely to blame for this. Instead of shows being able to grow organically, spread interest over a longer period, generate word of mouth, etc, a show is now judged as a success or failure within the first week or so of ratings.

Even with shows that have popular first seasons, everyone watches the entire thing within a week or two of it coming out and then forgets about it by the time a second season comes out.

I think Disney+ is actually smart in releasing their shows on a weekly basis. Folks who prefer to binge things can just wait until the end and binge the whole thing at once.

This type of thing is one big reason, along with the price increase, that I stopped subscribing to Netflix. I’m so tired of them not giving many shows a chance to grow at all. There are so many shows I’ve watched the first season and been somewhat interested only to never have another season made.

Honestly I think the binge model that grew so popular is largely to blame for this. Instead of shows being able to grow organically, spread interest over a longer period, generate word of mouth, etc, a show is now judged as a success or failure within the first week or so of ratings.

Even with shows that have popular first seasons, everyone watches the entire thing within a week or two of it coming out and then forgets about it by the time a second season comes out.

I think Disney+ is actually smart in releasing their shows on a weekly basis. Folks who prefer to binge things can just wait until the end and binge the whole thing at once.
Shows get canceled after one season all the time on network TV as well. I don't really think this is a Netflix only problem.

Also folks who prefer watching one episode a week can do so under the Netflix model of they want as well.

Ok, caught up on the following:

Reacher - S1 and S2 (whats been released anyway). S1 was excellent. I am enjoying S2 as well. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

Monarch Legacy of Monsters- Enjoying the show and its jumping back in forth in time. Never saw the Godzilla version it is set after but it does tie in Kong Skull island well, which I did see. The suspense is good and I like the characters. I enjoyed the Kong and Godzilla movies so this is keeping interest.

The Night Agent - Another I enjoyed. Some definite misdirection and intrigue. Good characters.

The Recruit - Enjoyed this as well. Like several characters, hate a couple as well. Lead guy is fun. Some predictability but overall good suspense from ep to ep.

Season 2 of Reacher is off to a really good start on Amazon. Nice to just shut your mind off and enjoy the ride.

Yeah, just posted this in another thread...episode one was great.
Watched the first 3 tonight. Good stuff
Really? I've thought it has been laughably bad, and I love the character as well as the first season. Weird. I expected a bunch of guys in here to be trashing it.
What haven't you liked?

The first season was better for sure, but I thought its been enjoyable so far. Good action, humor. Different story then s1 with some good call backs to s1.

I loved Robert Patrick saying "I don't care who Sarah Conner is"

Shows get canceled after one season all the time on network TV as well. I don't really think this is a Netflix only problem.

Also folks who prefer watching one episode a week can do so under the Netflix model of they want as well.
I googled it... Fwiw, Netflix had signed them up for a S2, to be the final season. The show production got Covid-ed.

Season 2 of Reacher is off to a really good start on Amazon. Nice to just shut your mind off and enjoy the ride.

Yeah, just posted this in another thread...episode one was great.
Watched the first 3 tonight. Good stuff
Really? I've thought it has been laughably bad, and I love the character as well as the first season. Weird. I expected a bunch of guys in here to be trashing it.
What haven't you liked?

The first season was better for sure, but I thought its been enjoyable so far. Good action, humor. Different story then s1 with some good call backs to s1.

I loved Robert Patrick saying "I don't care who Sarah Conner is"
I chuckled at that too.

Not recalling too much specifically. Some of the dialogue has been a little cringe worthy. How they’re getting from point A to point B. Like, figuring out their dead teammates password? Come on.

My wife bailed after the first episode and we binged season one in just a few days. :shrug:

Rewatched The Shield (Hulu)
My opinions on this show have not changed.
Would love to have seen someone else play Vic Mackey. I thought Chiklis was ok but not particularly believable.
I'll never understand why CCH Pounder isn't as lauded as someone like Meryl Streep.
The characters of Dutch and Claudette were far and away my favorite part of the series.
The single season with Glenn Close was my favorite.
To this day, whenever I hear the word "Armenian" the next two words out of my mouth are always "Money Train" which is always received with odd looks. :lmao:
The series final few episodes were wrapped satisfyingly.
I watched the entire series years ago and started it again with my wife. 3 episodes in and she's out...and I don't really blame her. For me, it hasn't held up at all. Over the top/ridiculous lines, cheesy, low budget, local theater level acting. I know it was "ahead of it's time" but we're well past that. And according to Reddit, my opinion is not a popular one.

Stumbled upon the show Imposters on Netflix. It was quick 2 seasons and was entertaining enough. It's a concept that could have had a few more seasons if the stories were done right. I tried searching in this thread for some discussion on it but it had very little. Basically a mention here or there but not much else. If you like caper type shows you may like this.

I've never seen True Detective but if Jodie Foster is in this, I need to. Are all the seasons good? All anyone ever talks about is Season 1.

Users who are viewing this thread