What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (7 Viewers)

I haven't watched it yet so thanks for the heads up.

I like Euro crime dramas but especially the Nordic ones. The first season of Trapped was excellent, really claustrophobic. And while it's not a crime drama, Katla is another good one from Iceland. Bleakest setting of any of those series, and really creepy at times.
Katla was indeed bleak but I was entertained. And I like the Nordics too but I also recommend the Bazatlan series, three movies revolving around the same detective, set in Basque country, I think. Always dark and foreboding.

I also recommend the Bazatlan series, three movies revolving around the same detective, set in Basque country, I think. Always dark and foreboding.
I'll check them out, thanks.   I watched 2 series (The Mire and something else) from Poland but they were a different kind of bleak --- man-made bleak. And between the bad dubbing and bad subtitles were hard to understand at times.

Gb, I think what you may be seeing is actually a movie with the Bordertown characters, instead of a fourth season. Unless I missed something. I liked the series a lot, too, and enjoyed this movie as well.
Watched the movie tonight. It moved right along, probably had a few too many plot twists, left formerly important characters onscreen but without much dialogue or effect on the plot, and probably left anyone who hadn't seen the series wondering "where's this all coming from?" numerous times. Movie was decent, but nowhere as good as the series which really relied on character development and crimesolving without eerie overtones.

mayor of kingston, holy #### what a show. This show is unreal, taylor sheridan is knocking this out of the park. best new show on tv hands down 

Three episodes in and I’m certain Station Eleven is the best show of 2021. Absolutely fantastic acting and storytelling. 

I brought it up in the Leftovers thread, as it has a writer from there. We're one in....slightly annoying, but slightly stunning start. S1 leftovers was similar for me
The wife tapped after the 2nd ep. Too...much...for her. I'll have to go this one alone, sadly...which means late night tired viewimg- not the best way to approach this one from what I've seen so far

On 12/25/2021 at 12:59 PM, CletiusMaximus said:
Three episodes in and I’m certain Station Eleven is the best show of 2021. Absolutely fantastic acting and storytelling. 

I brought it up in the Leftovers thread, as it has a writer from there. We're one in....slightly annoying, but slightly stunning start. S1 leftovers was similar for me
Expand  
The wife tapped after the 2nd ep. Too...much...for her. I'll have to go this one alone, sadly...which means late night tired viewimg- not the best way to approach this one from what I've seen so far

I've become aware that many people don't like this show and have stopped recommending it to randos.  For me, through episode 5 it is still the best show I've seen in a long time.  Writing, acting, editing, score - all absolutely top notch.

Finally started "Mr. Inbetween" last night after all the raves here.  Watched five episodes and am excited to get to the rest.  Not a criticism, but just a query:  do we ever get any background or context?  Feels like we were just thrown in the middle without knowing who the people are or how they fit together.  Again, I don't mind but am curious.  

Finally started "Mr. Inbetween" last night after all the raves here.  Watched five episodes and am excited to get to the rest.  Not a criticism, but just a query:  do we ever get any background or context?  Feels like we were just thrown in the middle without knowing who the people are or how they fit together.  Again, I don't mind but am curious.  
you do a get more of him and his family.

what I thought was done really well in the show is the ability to put you in the middle of viewer unknown relationships, but still feel like powerfully real people and relationships.

you do a get more of him and his family.

what I thought was done really well in the show is the ability to put you in the middle of viewer unknown relationships, but still feel like powerfully real people and relationships.

The family part was what it was kinda easy to figure out, at least it seems.  I was more wondering if we know the relationship among him and, for instance, his friend who's married to the Russian, or the dude who owns the strip club.  Maybe I'm overthinking it and the first is just a good friend and the latter is his...boss?  

The family part was what it was kinda easy to figure out, at least it seems.  I was more wondering if we know the relationship among him and, for instance, his friend who's married to the Russian, or the dude who owns the strip club.  Maybe I'm overthinking it and the first is just a good friend and the latter is his...boss?  
yes and yes and yes.

Ray and Gary went to high school together, at least until Ray dropped out. One episode was about them attending their school reunion, with the predictable ensuing chaos.

Ray and Gary went to high school together, at least until Ray dropped out. One episode was about them attending their school reunion, with the predictable ensuing chaos.
I don't remember that at all... and considering how memorable that sounds, I must have missed that ep.

There are certainly things that happened between Ray and Garz and Freddy over the years. Things that allow them to be so…’proficient’ in certain things. But they don’t really ever touch on it. We just have to accept the implications that they’ve seen some #### together.

Just started Pigalle, la Nuit (not on Netfllix), a 1-season French drama set in the redlight district of Paris, where a man looking for  his siter briefly sees her dancing. Then she disappears. The first episode was slow, almost bailed, but the second one started things moving. It's more like The Deuce with a much less expensive production, set in Paris. I expect we'll finish it this week. Bonus: Sara Martins is in it; the main police detective in the first 5 seasons of Death in Paradise.

It can't be funnier than a line from a review I read that the show included "a lot of good, big time actors...and Timothee Chalamet".

Mark Rylance will likely be nominated for an Oscar for Don't Look Up. I don't think he'll beat Richard Jenkins but this is not a strong year for films in general.

Adam McKay legitimately tried to make a modern day Dr Strangelove. There are at least 5-6 scenes that are full of unrelenting honest gut wrenching brutality in the film.

Shockingly, it's not manipulative. Usually modern films like this are full of cheap Spielberg tricks, but this runs along the lines of Kurosawa's Ikiru. A grim examination of the human condition.

It may be the best film no one is watching right now. Jennifer Lawrence and Jonah Hill are likely going to drag the film down overall as they don't show any real acting range here. (Because they don't have any) The casting is a bit off and that's it's core weakness.

We watched another 11 episodes of Mr. Inbetween tonight.  :lmao:   I don't remember such a binge before, but with their being 30 minutes (23 without ads) it's easy to fly through, and given that there are only 26 episodes in total, it seems like a good push toward the finish.  I'm never sure if it's ok that I laugh so much at this show as I do.  So black.  Aussie Willem Dafoe is incredibly good.  

Last edited by a moderator:
We watched another 11 episodes of Mr. Inbetween tonight.  :lmao:   I don't remember such a binge before, but with their being 30 minutes (23 without ads) it's easy to fly through, and given that there are only 26 episodes in total, it seems like a good push toward the finish.  I'm never sure if it's ok that I laugh so much at this show as I do.  So black.  Aussie Willem Dafoe is incredibly good.  
I read your comments with unfettered envy as alas I finished the series a month ago.  enjoy & report back.

Don’t Look Up on Netflix was entertaining.  Numerous legit laugh moments and a fun cast….Leo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Jonah Hill, Meryl Streep, etc.  Thumbs up. 
Was curious on this one, online reviews haven’t been kind to it, but I suspect some of that is politically motivated given the allegory nature of the subject matter.

Buckna said:
Was curious on this one, online reviews haven’t been kind to it, but I suspect some of that is politically motivated given the allegory nature of the subject matter.

I recognize this is not the PSF, but the nature of the film is actually bi-partisan in nature. It's a discussion of the failings of the human ego, it doesn't matter what becomes of the political ideology of the person who holds it. Well not to Adam McKay.

The Mark Rylance character is a combination of Biden, Fauci, slightly Elon Musk, Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.

Jonah Hill and Jennifer Lawrence were casting misfires that will invite pundit criticism ( the film is just too brutally honest) but they were cast because they have their own built in audiences. McKay knew this would be a hard sell of a movie and wanted to find something to draw in younger viewers.

Rylance has one scene with DiCaprio ( aka "field mouse") that is just plainly terrifying. It's scary because its satire but it's so close to plausible that you realize everyone here with children will very likely watch them die at the hands of these powerful smug tone deaf idiots.

Thank you for the recommendations on Station 11, can't believe I haven't heard much about it prior to this thread.  

I'm a sucker for anything post apocalyptic ever since the original Mad Max era.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the premise and point Don't Look Up was trying to make, but I thought the tone was all over the place and in the end I thought it was average at best.  

Let me put in a plug for Arcane on Netflix. For full disclosure, this show is: 1) animated, 2) based on a video game world, and 3) rated TV-14.

All that notwithstanding, the show is pretty amazing. The art style is unique, the story is good, the music is great, and there are plenty of ‘whoa’ moments. I’ve never played the game (League of Legends), but the show hooked me.
just a follow up, Arcane has a 100% fresh score on RottenTomatoes.

I rewatched the whole season and have been listening to the soundtrack. I may be obsessed. if you're even slightly interested, I would say give it 3 episodes to see if you want to continue. the end of the 3rd episode is a gut punch.

krista4 said:
He really is a blokey bloke 

Ep1 - Eh, ugh, virus show starting a little girl. 

Ep 2 thru 4 - Ok, post apocalypse gypsies, who are all these people?

Ep 5 - Ok now! Were at the the top of the roller coaster ready to go down!

fatness said:
Just started Pigalle, la Nuit (not on Netfllix), a 1-season French drama set in the redlight district of Paris, where a man looking for  his siter briefly sees her dancing. Then she disappears. The first episode was slow, almost bailed, but the second one started things moving. It's more like The Deuce with a much less expensive production, set in Paris.
After finishing 5 of 8 episodes this is getting pretty good.

It's true

Yep!  Got within three episodes of the end tonight.  Had to shut it down until tomorrow, but caught this one.  :lmao:

Something I love about this show is that it has so many strings that are tied together.  I love how there is always the notion of "owing," which extends not just to the big stuff among the hitmen, but down to his daughter always keeping track of who owed her for cursing.  Another very cool bit was when Brucey asked if Ray would reconcile with their dad...as Ray sucked on a cigarette, which he'd promised his daughter he'd "try" to give up, he said, "I'll try."  Love how this show ties stuff like that all together.

My only criticism of Mr. In-between is a weird one. Spoiler below.

But I noticed pretty early on that he never wore a mask, wore gloves, cared about driving his own car to crime scenes, etc. So many shows nowadays are about cops catching criminals and criminals trying to avoid getting caught. This show just unabashedly didn't care about any of that. It was like police didn't exist. I accepted that they just didn't care about that piece. That's not what the show was about. The longer it went on, the more I liked it. But then there was the couple episodes in jail. That just weirdly disappointed me. 

My only criticism of Mr. In-between is a weird one. Spoiler below.

But I noticed pretty early on that he never wore a mask, wore gloves, cared about driving his own car to crime scenes, etc. So many shows nowadays are about cops catching criminals and criminals trying to avoid getting caught. This show just unabashedly didn't care about any of that. It was like police didn't exist. I accepted that they just didn't care about that piece. That's not what the show was about. The longer it went on, the more I liked it. But then there was the couple episodes in jail. That just weirdly disappointed me. 

Yep, I actually noticed on his first kill that he smoked a cigarette and then tossed it off without a care, which made me think of DNA...  Quickly I had just to toss that all off as inconsequential and that they were working so far outside the law that forensics didn't matter.

It looks like the 4th season of Bordertown is on Netflix now. For those who didn't watch the first 3 seasons it's an excellent Nordic noir series set in a small town in Finland very close to the Russian border. From watching various Nordic noir series they all seem to involve twisted crimes, an exceptional police detective with serious personal problems, very bleak geography and/or weather, and iffy, vague morality. Bordertown is one of the best of the genre IMHO because of the detail in which the main characters are portrayed.

Others in the genre are Deadwind (Karppi), The Bridge (Bron/Broen), The Killing (Forbrydelsen),  Trapped (Ófærð), The Valhalla Murders, and others. I recommend all of those.

If you want just a 1-season stab then maybe just watch the new season 4 of Bordertown. If you want to sink in I'd suggest starting with season 1. The end of season 3 made it seem like the series couldn't possibly continue (don't want to give away the reason) but apparently it has.

First 3 seasons were excellent, so I'll start season 4 tomorrow.

edit: lol, now I find out Season 4 of Bordertown is a movie, not a whole season
thanks for these 
i started katla tonight and added the other to the list except bridge and killing .
i couldnt find them on netflix 

Yep, I actually noticed on his first kill that he smoked a cigarette and then tossed it off without a care, which made me think of DNA...  Quickly I had just to toss that all off as inconsequential and that they were working so far outside the law that forensics didn't matter.
There was an original movie that the show is based on called The Magician. At one point in the TV show, someone even asks "who was that?" and the other guy says "He's called The Magician"

I haven't seen it yet and the only place to see it that I've found is on Tubi. 

Is Letterkenny any good? What's it like?

It popped up on my Hulu as a suggested show.
I think it's hilarious. I was behind the curve and just now catching up. Somewhere in season three.

But I also don't think it's everyone's cup of tea. But I think you will figure out if you like it or not pretty quickly.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I want to use an app to help track of what movies and shows I'm watching (first world problems with focus) and wondering if anyone has a recommendation? Downloaded Letterboxd, Sofa and TV Time, to try out, but willing to listen to other opinions.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I want to use an app to help track of what movies and shows I'm watching (first world problems with focus) and wondering if anyone has a recommendation? Downloaded Letterboxd, Sofa and TV Time, to try out, but willing to listen to other opinions.
Somebody posted about the JustWatch app.  I downloaded it but haven't really tried it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread