What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (3 Viewers)

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I want to use an app to help track of what movies and shows I'm watching (first world problems with focus) and wondering if anyone has a recommendation? Downloaded Letterboxd, Sofa and TV Time, to try out, but willing to listen to other opinions.

Its very old school, but I just use a spreadsheet. 

I tried Letterkenny and couldn't make it through the first episode. Obviously not a fair amount of time to make an evaluation but if I don't laugh once through the first episode, it's usually a good sign to bail.

Much like I did with ####t's Creek.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok... caveat that I think The Mandolorian is terrible- written badly by and for pre-tweens, despite being in the SW universe that I like and enjoy seeing. So I won't bother polluting any specific SW threads with my negativity. I watched most of the 1st season and just couldn't do more.

Bobba Fett is just as bad. I noticed the 1st ep was written by Favreau and directed by Rodriguez. I assume the writing is meant to be childish- but written by a child with below mediocre intelligence. It's one of these things that makes me feel depressed... so bad, and yet enjoyably gobbled up by a great many people. Don't we deserve better? Doesnt' the brand deserve better? It's like they assume they can just cobble together absolute bull ####, serve it on a SW plate and that's good enough. So cynical.

No cute baby yoda yet either.

ok... caveat that I think The Mandolorian is terrible- written badly by and for pre-tweens, despite being in the SW universe that I like and enjoy seeing. So I won't bother polluting any specific SW threads with my negativity. I watched most of the 1st season and just couldn't do more.

Bobba Fett is just as bad. I noticed the 1st ep was written by Favreau and directed by Rodriguez. I assume the writing is meant to be childish- but written by a child with below mediocre intelligence. It's one of these things that makes me feel depressed... so bad, and yet enjoyably gobbled up by a great many people. Don't we deserve better? Doesnt' the brand deserve better? It's like they assume they can just cobble together absolute bull ####, serve it on a SW plate and that's good enough. So cynical.

I think the "golden age of TV" has quickly turned into just more of the mindless blockbuster stuff that took over the theaters.  To me it feels like a lot is written so it's just good enough to be on in the background while we look at our phones.  

I think the "golden age of TV" has quickly turned into just more of the mindless blockbuster stuff that took over the theaters.  To me it feels like a lot is written so it's just good enough to be on in the background while we look at our phones.  
the super hero movies... meh. I don't care about them, but I can at least look at some of them and think they're trying to produce a product to the best of their abilities- including writing, which I never look at as being the main problem with these things.

but Mando and Bobba Fett... just liquid crap. I'm sure Favreau has decided to go for the LCD and worst elements of the "serial" nature of the movies... which often included laughable writing that did the actors no favors.

I really liked Mandalorian even though it was bad at points.  First epiosode of Boba Fett was 100x worse than the worst of Mandalorian. 

I tried Letterkenny and couldn't make it through the first episode. Obviously not a fair amount of time to make an evaluation but if I don't laugh once through the first episode, it's usually a good sign to bail.

Much like I did with ####t's Creek.
Yes, if you didn't like Letterkenny after one episode then you won't like it at all. I view it as a Canadian Always Sunny type show and I laugh my #### off just about every episode. 

Does that onesy come in mens?😁

Yes, if you didn't like Letterkenny after one episode then you won't like it at all. I view it as a Canadian Always Sunny type show and I laugh my #### off just about every episode. 

Does that onesy come in mens?😁
Sunny is one of the funniest shows ever. Maybe I'll give this one another shot one day. 

Well no matter how bad they are Bobba  > Manda just for the fact that it's actually about Bobba and not some stupid baby yoda.  

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I want to use an app to help track of what movies and shows I'm watching (first world problems with focus) and wondering if anyone has a recommendation? Downloaded Letterboxd, Sofa and TV Time, to try out, but willing to listen to other opinions.
I use the TV Time app on my phone pretty religiously. there is so much good stuff out there, TV and movies, it's impossible to remember everything. I love that I can just pop something in there that's months away and forget about it, and the app will remind when it's about to start.

it also has comments, for each show and episode, so you can discuss with other people and share what you thought.

it has some limitations, like being able to search for shows based on what streaming service you have, but it's good enough that I've never bothered to try to find anything better. and I think they're committed to updating it.

There was an original movie that the show is based on called The Magician. At one point in the TV show, someone even asks "who was that?" and the other guy says "He's called The Magician"

I haven't seen it yet and the only place to see it that I've found is on Tubi. 
what's wild is that the show and the movie are the ONLY things Scott Ryan has ever acted in. he seems like such a natural, and I think he was even nominated for an Aussie award for best newcomer or something. I really hope we see more of him, both as a writer and an actor.

We deserve better, yes.  Does the Star Wars brand deserve better?  Based on the past 20 years, I would say that brand is getting much more than it has earned.

Don't we deserve better? Doesnt' the brand deserve better? It's like they assume they can just cobble together absolute bull ####, serve it on a SW plate and that's good enough. So cynical.
The US public gobbles up a lot of crappy shows.

For the most part if you want to find good TV, look at foreign shows. You may have to spend a bit of time reading to find out which ones are good. There are plenty of good ones.

fatness said:
Just started Pigalle, la Nuit (not on Netfllix), a 1-season French drama set in the redlight district of Paris, where a man looking for  his siter briefly sees her dancing. Then she disappears. The first episode was slow, almost bailed, but the second one started things moving. It's more like The Deuce with a much less expensive production, set in Paris.
After finishing 5 of 8 episodes this is getting pretty good.
Finished it tonight. Each episode got better than the one before. Characters got fleshed in both in present tense and in back story as the  series went on. There was no way to predict how it would end. Pretty good show.

is there a show? I know I saw a movie about it a while back... 

we live pretty much around the corner from it.
We got to play there once but played a lot at Lismar Lounge

Let’s put it this way: For those who felt that the comparatively plush environs of places like CBGB were simply just too, I don’t know, formal, The Lismar Lounge was a venue that provided patrons of a certain sensibility a place to drink and hear live music in an environment that wasn’t quite so hung up on things like cleanliness, decorum, professional courtesy, security, decent human conduct, etc. In short, Lismar Lounge was kind of a scary dump, and that’s pretty much exactly how everyone liked it.

nice!

I've lived here before that place opened and closed, but never even heard of it until now.
Complete dive with no rules. People shooting up in the bathrooms, just completely filthy place. But they would let us play as long as we wanted if we were the only band. We'd play for hours and the whole place would be beer soaked by the end of the night. Had some of our best shows there. It was in the basement and the load in, down the cellar door on the right in that pic, really sucked.

El Floppo said:

Lol I liked Mandalorian but agree the first episode of Fett was pretty mediocre to bad. 

laid up at home with the rona today, so decided to see if there was anything on Peacock worth watching. I decided to try an episode of We are Lady Parts... and just wrapped up binging the whole thing. loved it. 

laid up at home with the rona today, so decided to see if there was anything on Peacock worth watching. I decided to try an episode of We are Lady Parts... and just wrapped up binging the whole thing. loved it. 

I’ll check that one out. 

Vigil on Peacock is good.

Finished up Only Murders in the Building on Hulu. Pretty solid in both acting and storytelling. Steve Martin and Martin Short always a good combination.

May be of particular interest to anyone who is a fan of the murder podcast genre, but not necessary to enjoy.

Half way through The Chestnut Man on Netflix and really enjoying it. The English dubbing is actually quite good in this one.  Silence of the Lambs kind of vibe.
Just finished this one and it was enjoyable. Typical Nordic "bad things happening to children" plot, over-dedicated detectives with little or no home life. Well-acted and not too long at 6 episodes. Last episode was not really believable, and the tacked-on feel-good ending for each of the detectives didn't fit, but overall it held my interest very well.

Aw crap. Sorry you got it gb. Rest up and be well. Hope the family is doing well. 

I just finished a series called Tabula Rasa.  It's foreign language (Belgian) so, obviously, subtitles I thoroughly enjoyed it. One of my favorite series that I have seen thus far.  A woman who suffers from amnesia due to an auto accident is the last person to see Thomas before his disappearance. Detective tries to push her to remember what happened and there's a few nice twists included along the way. Shot in 9 episodes - roughly one for each day he has been missing. Shot with flashbacks to 3 months prior to present day. Not a lot of action, no nudity and little swearing. The acting is superb IMO and I was really into the story.

Thinking about it afterwards there's some plot holes but nothing that takes away from my overall impression.

The first 3 episodes are a bit slower as the story is built so you have to be willing to give it some time.
Just started this. For me, the first episode was creepy as hell. Sorry to hear about the "no nudity" aspect of it but I plan on sticking with it.

El Floppo said:

I got Disney+ this month primarily to check out Get Back. I picked Boba Fett one night as my choice to watch not knowing anything about it but assuming it would be cool. I mean, it’s Boba Fett, the coolest looking bit character in Star Wars. The Star Wars figure i saved up Kenner proof of purchases for and mailed in for as a kid.

First thing my 15 year old asks is “who is the old guy, I thought Boba Fett was cool.” She slso was laughing at the cheesy CGI and saying he should never take his helmet off, which was spot on. Just painful. 

Then as we all sat there trying to comprehend what we just watched we see Favreau’s name. WtF?! Elf and Chef are 2 family faves. I have no idea how Boba Fett ended up so bad. Seemed hard to F it up that bad, AND have Favreau make it. They should make a documentary about that.

Is Letterkenny any good? What's it like?
Off-beat Canadian humor where three types of groups are showcased: Hicks, Skids, and Hockey Players.  I'd echo the Always Sunny comparison except almost all of the characters have redeeming qualities in LK vs being really poor human beings in Sunny.

Felt the exact same way after S1:E1.  A friend I trust recommended it though, so I gave it another.  Liked it more, but it wasn't great.  Enough to watch another at least...then it started to click.  The mannerisms, speech patterns, etc and the sheer pace of jokes and references were a bit much until I got accustomed to it.  Absolutely love the show now, but it's a tough recommendation to make unless someone is willing to give it 2-3 episodes.

I really liked Mandalorian even though it was bad at points.  First epiosode of Boba Fett was 100x worse than the worst of Mandalorian. 
Patton Oswalt called in on Parks & Rec years ago.  https://mobile.twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/1258889736384479232

Oh my gosh.  Some friends recommended Lucifer. 

My two-word review, absolute crap.

They said that they had watched Breaking Bad up to the episode the tub broke through the ceiling, which was very early.  Maybe two or three episodes in.  I choked down two and a half episodes of Lucifer.  Just a steaming pile of unadorned warm dog####.  Don't waste a second.

My general rule is if it’s on network TV (ABC NBC FOX CBS) it’s probably crap.  They’ll put out the occasional decent comedy but I can’t think of the last hour long network drama / sci-fi whatever that was any good

I'm kind of looking forward to this new Cleaning Lady show coming on Fox. I'm sure you are right and it will stink, but the premise has me looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread