What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (5 Viewers)

Baptiste is a very good 2-season series. Each season is about finding a missing person, and the toll that trying yp find them takes on the people involved. Really enjoyed it.

Couple of show I recently finished:

Daisy Jones & the Six - really enjoyed this. Usually not a fan of shows with people ruining their lives with drugs/alcohol, but this one was good. Thought the original music for the storyline was really well done, plus the soundtrack was great.

Dexter: New Blood - finally got around to this sequel while on a business trip where there was Showtime streaming in the hotel. Loved the original, this one was kind of meh. A lot of disbelief to suspend (there was certainly some of this in the original too… maybe I’d just had enough). Also seemed to rush the story at the end… probably because it was just one season. Certainly left the door open for another spinoff with Harrison. There were some good characters in this that I though were redeeming factors.

I just finished Picard Season 3 and that was the best Star Trek TV experience I may have ever had. I'm glad I stuck with it after first losing interest in Season 1. It's complete and unapologetic fan service, and it's great. You probably won't appreciate it if you aren't a TNG fan.
Worf was 💰

Started the Diplomat. Fun ride so far.
Yeah my wife and I are through four episodes. We nearly bailed after the first two, but it picks up significantly with the third episode and I am fully enjoying it now (though my wife doesn't see as enamored with it).

It's like West Wing meets like a Tom Clancy story or something.

I don't know that I'll finish with Beef. I think I watched enough (4 episodes) and....I just don't love it. The entire concept is preposterous.
It remains good throughout but if you're struggling with the concept it just gets more preposterous.

I liked it but totally get why others wouldn't.
It is definitely over the top and pushes your suspension of disbelief past the breaking point. But it's fun if you like cringe, which this show has in spades.

Reactions: Zow
Just started watching a Norwegian drama - Occupied. 3 episodes in. Very interesting concept...
In a post ‘US leaves NATO’ world, Norway PM announces they are getting out of the fossil fuel business upsetting nations of the EU and Russia.
Just watched all 3 seasons of this and it is good. There's no downtime, the pace is good, there are believable characters. The final season felt a little bit rushed but, after I forget it for awhile, I'll probably watch it again.

Just started watching a Norwegian drama - Occupied. 3 episodes in. Very interesting concept...
In a post ‘US leaves NATO’ world, Norway PM announces they are getting out of the fossil fuel business upsetting nations of the EU and Russia.
Just watched all 3 seasons of this and it is good. There's no downtime, the pace is good, there are believable characters. The final season felt a little bit rushed but, after I forget it for awhile, I'll probably watch it again.
i watched this about a month ago and thought it was pretty good , I do love Scandinavia shows though and agree the final season did seem a little rushed

Chimp Empire is best thing I’ve seen on Netflix in awhile. Documentary directed by James Reed of My Octopus Teacher, and narrated by Mahershala Ali. Brilliant cinematography, and treats the power struggles and territorial disputes like stuff out of Succession or Game of Thrones.

If you like nature documentaries, definitely worth a watch.

Chimp Empire is best thing I’ve seen on Netflix in awhile. Documentary directed by James Reed of My Octopus Teacher, and narrated by Mahershala Ali. Brilliant cinematography, and treats the power struggles and territorial disputes like stuff out of Succession or Game of Thrones.

:thumbup:

will check out Chimp Empire

My Octopus Teacher
was fantastic - I guess it checks all the boxes to label it a doc but man I got invested in that story lol

:thumbup:

will check out Chimp Empire

My Octopus Teacher
was fantastic - I guess it checks all the boxes to label it a doc but man I got invested in that story lol
Agree with that on My Octopus Teacher. This one has a different vibe (more of nature’s realpolitik in Chimp Empire), but similarly engrossing.

Kind of over Ted Lasso. Watched the first one tonight and it’s just more of the same. I’ll watch the entire season but they are right to finish it.
The biggest fraud of a loved show I can remember in awhile. I watched about half of S1 and coudn't do it anymore. My wife and friends have watched and re-watched. I am not at all surprised to hear that S3 will be the last and that it's seen as garbage. It was always garbage.

Kind of over Ted Lasso. Watched the first one tonight and it’s just more of the same. I’ll watch the entire season but they are right to finish it.
The biggest fraud of a loved show I can remember in awhile. I watched about half of S1 and coudn't do it anymore. My wife and friends have watched and re-watched. I am not at all surprised to hear that S3 will be the last and that it's seen as garbage. It was always garbage.
I actually thought season 1 was good. But really did not like last year or this year at all. Almost like it was different writers or something.

Mrs. Maisel ended very nicely. Uneven season but good finale.
That is good to hear. Each successive season has lost me more and more. I guess I will half heartdly finish it out if for no other reason than to see more Rachel Brosnahan
First two seasons were defintiely the best imo. They lost the plot after that. Way too much time building up her career without actually showing her make it to stardom. Got ridiculous after a while.

I watched the first four episodes on a transatlantic flight, and that was more than enough to convince me never to watch another episode of that show, ever. It may be a perfectly fine television program, but it is the diametrical opposite of the kind of programming I like. I imagine the Venn diagram of people who like Ted Lasso and people who like The Wire is an empty set.

I watched the first four episodes on a transatlantic flight, and that was more than enough to convince me never to watch another episode of that show, ever. It may be a perfectly fine television program, but it is the diametrical opposite of the kind of programming I like. I imagine the Venn diagram of people who like Ted Lasso and people who like The Wire is an empty set.
Nope. At least one.

My wife and friends loved The Wire also. Maybe they have changed in the 10-15 years since The Wire and Lasso.

Love both..

I say goodday

I started watching the Arnold Schwarzenegger show, pretty silly but I'll probably watch another one and see where it goes

Another skinny little girl crushing people with her furious fists

Always good to see Jay Baruchel

Stealing the Robert Duvall cow story from "Colors" was awful and just made me miss Robert Duvall

Last edited:
Saw A Man Called Otto over the weekend on Netflix. Enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. The female lead was very good.

My wife was balling...agree it was better than expected, but my expectations were low.
I'm going to assume you mean she was bawling, unless Tom Hanks really does it for her.
There were a few scenes were I had to stop the movie it was getting to me. There was also a scene where I don’t remember laughing so hard.

pretty good

the original Swedish film (A Man Called Ove 2015) was awesome as well, was an Academy Award nominee in the foreign language category - looks like Prime is streaming it, saw it years ago in a theater
If you haven't read the book yet, make sure you do. It's great and definitely the funniest book I've ever read.

I watched the first four episodes on a transatlantic flight, and that was more than enough to convince me never to watch another episode of that 9oooshow, ever. It may be a perfectly fine television program, but it is the diametrical opposite of the kind of programming I like. I imagine the Venn diagram of people who like Ted Lasso and people who like The Wire is an empty set.
Love both..

I say goodday
The Wire is all time, s1 of Ted Lasso worked as an unexpected foil with the Covid/political doomy zeitgeist.

I started off disliking Lasso, but it won me over in a big way S1. Maybe it helps that I'm a soccer guy, but it felt good to laugh at nice people and not have to be in a conspiracy or dark, angry world... shows I'm usually more into. We had enough of that in real life at that point.

I became a bit disinterested in S2, and never bothered watching S3.

But doesn't take away from a show that genuinely worked for me in its first season. But isn't close to the pantheon of greats like the Wire.

I watched the first four episodes on a transatlantic flight, and that was more than enough to convince me never to watch another episode of that 9oooshow, ever. It may be a perfectly fine television program, but it is the diametrical opposite of the kind of programming I like. I imagine the Venn diagram of people who like Ted Lasso and people who like The Wire is an empty set.
Love both..

I say goodday
The Wire is all time, s1 of Ted Lasso worked as an unexpected foil with the Covid/political doomy zeitgeist.

I started off disliking Lasso, but it won me over in a big way S1. Maybe it helps that I'm a soccer guy, but it felt good to laugh at nice people and not have to be in a conspiracy or dark, angry world... shows I'm usually more into. We had enough of that in real life at that point.

But doesn't take away from a show that genuinely worked for me in its first season. But isn't close to the pantheon of greats like the Wire.
Sure but comment I replied too was that no one could like both :shrug:

I think it was mentioned once or twice but Somebody Somewhere on HBO is fantastic. Second season just finished. Quick watch, seven episodes each, 30 minutes apiece.
We stop/start our HBO subscription and I never remembered to finish S1.. which I loved. It has some of the sweetness of Ted Lasso, but not too much, and has the acerbic side I kept waiting for in Lasso (I started liking Lasso when I gave up waiting and allowed myself to wallow in the sweetness)

Love both..

I say goodday

Sure but comment I replied too was that no one could like both :shrug:
I was replying to 80s, agreeing with you.

ETA... Ivan, not 80s

Last edited:
Love both..

I say goodday
Put me down as another that really liked both a lot.

Didn't see this mentioned:

Jury Duty (Amazon): A fake trial with actors and one jury member who isn't in on it. I think the creators of the Office were involved (it feels very Officeish). I've watched all the released episodes and am hooked. Very well "acted" and hilarious at times.
Daughter called me last night 5 episodes in and recommended to me. I've watched 2, enjoyable so far.

Didn't see this mentioned:

Jury Duty (Amazon): A fake trial with actors and one jury member who isn't in on it. I think the creators of the Office were involved (it feels very Officeish). I've watched all the released episodes and am hooked. Very well "acted" and hilarious at times.
Daughter called me last night 5 episodes in and recommended to me. I've watched 2, enjoyable so far.
I watched it. It was fine. Episodes go quick and that is probably the best thing about it. Seemed like it should have been better than it was.

The bold is what keeps me out of your subset as I don't just "like" The Wire, I love it and it has been and probably will forever be my favorite show of all time.

I did like the first season of Ted Lasso. That was good television that I can watch with my wife and family (and did). But, it's not even in the same stratosphere of the love I have for The Wire. Just two totally separate and distinct viewing experiences.

The Wire is my all-time favorite show, and I think Ted Lasso is brilliant. Haven’t watched Season 3 yet, though, and am :scared: based on some of the comments.
Don't, season 3 is fine. The first few will probably have you wondering but it comes around. I just think we were so spoiled with S1 & 2 with almost all the shows being great that it made it hard to do a final season and wrap stuff up without having a few plot movers along the way.

re: The Wire, I missed the boat when it originally aired. Have always heard rave reviews about it, so about 10 years ago, the wife and I set out to watch it. We were incredibly bored through the first two episodes and ended up watching something else. I'm guessing I need to revisit since it is widely known as an all-time great. But for fans of the show, do you agree that the first couple episodes were very slow?

I continue to be shocked that people rank The Wire anywhere near their top 10 of shows all time.
Ok... I'll bite. List some of your top 10.

The Wire is firmly there for me.
Breaking Bad is clearly #1 for me. In no particular order Better Call Saul, Mad Men, Ozark, Sopranos, Succession, GOT are all great. Many, many more shows that are mentioned in this thread I found more enjoyable than The Wire, which I stopped watching in season 3.

Not sure you could be more wrong if you tried.

I like both. :shrug:

The Wire is my all-time favorite show, and I think Ted Lasso is brilliant. Haven’t watched Season 3 yet, though, and am :scared: based on some of the comments.

First half of the season definitely was a lull and didn’t bring the funny or the drama - really picked up in the last 3 episodes and the last one was fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread