What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (10 Viewers)

I finally got around to starting Marvelous Mrs Maisel last week. I just assumed it was going to be like Hacks and Fleabag, which were both funny shows, but it is so much more. It has the production quality of Mad Men, and after 2.5 seasons I think I would rank it pretty high up on my All Time Greats list.

(I haven't read anything online about it as I have found that no matter the show people tend to eventually turn negative towards them and I prefer to binge with no expectations. Maybe it falls off a cliff and my initial take sounds ridiculous, but so far I am loving it)
The middle seasons drag a bit IMO the final season is great.
I tend to agree about the middle a bit but liked the whole run of the show. And it wrapped up really well.

I finally got around to starting Marvelous Mrs Maisel last week. I just assumed it was going to be like Hacks and Fleabag, which were both funny shows, but it is so much more. It has the production quality of Mad Men, and after 2.5 seasons I think I would rank it pretty high up on my All Time Greats list.

(I haven't read anything online about it as I have found that no matter the show people tend to eventually turn negative towards them and I prefer to binge with no expectations. Maybe it falls off a cliff and my initial take sounds ridiculous, but so far I am loving it)
I'll try Maisel, but before seeing it, it sounds like you're underselling Fleabag.

I'll try Maisel, but before seeing it, it sounds like you're underselling Fleabag.
Maisel is good but it's no Fleabag.

The Outsider on MAX directed by Jason Bateman is the best series I’ve watched in a long long time.

Creepy music, acting & the way it’s filmed are all tremendous.

Bateman has come a long way since Silver Spoons.

Just wow.
I liked this even though I thought the first few episodes were way better than the last few. One of those series that is excellent until you find out what’s going on, then it’s a bit of a letdown. Agree that Bateman is fantastic.

The Outsider on MAX directed by Jason Bateman is the best series I’ve watched in a long long time.

Creepy music, acting & the way it’s filmed are all tremendous.

Bateman has come a long way since Silver Spoons.

Just wow.
I liked this even though I thought the first few episodes were way better than the last few. One of those series that is excellent until you find out what’s going on, then it’s a bit of a letdown. Agree that Bateman is fantastic.
My wife calls these "alien rape" shows and tells me to watch them by myself.

I finished Cunk on Earth (Netflix) this weekend. 5 short episodes and I really liked it. I haven't Lol'ed this much in a while. The recurring video gag in each episode made me LOL every time.

That second episode of House of Usher was really something….

As in good?
Yes. I’m now through 5 episodes and so far this is the best Flannigan series yet. Better than Hill House, Bly Manor, and Midnight Mass.

We’re through episode 4. Basically it’s my wife saying it’s boring and just a bunch of talking and me telling her to get off her phone and maybe she’d know what’s going on
Then I fall asleep after about 30 minutes

I have a pretty good idea what’s going on though

I finished Cunk on Earth (Netflix) this weekend. 5 short episodes and I really liked it. I haven't Lol'ed this much in a while. The recurring video gag in each episode made me LOL every time.
I really liked the show (funny, worth seeing if you haven't yet), but I think they went to the recurring video gag well several times too often.

I bailed early on Hill House and was a vocal critic of Midnight Mass. I won't watch another show from that guy no matter how good people say it is.

Big-time sci-fi or "spy action" (like Jack Ryan) fan here. Just finished Ahsoka. Anything recent that's on either Netflix or Amazon worth checking out? I have some travel coming up and I like downloading stuff for my flights. May just grab a couple of movies that look decent but open to starting a new series.

Big-time sci-fi or "spy action" (like Jack Ryan) fan here. Just finished Ahsoka. Anything recent that's on either Netflix or Amazon worth checking out? I have some travel coming up and I like downloading stuff for my flights. May just grab a couple of movies that look decent but open to starting a new series.
It's an undertaking and a grind at times and not on Netflix or Amazon, but I thought Foundation on Apple TV was a worthwhile sci-fi watch. Found it close enough to Dune that I just wanted the second Dune movie to come out more.

It's an undertaking and a grind at times and not on Netflix or Amazon, but I thought Foundation on Apple TV was a worthwhile sci-fi watch. Found it close enough to Dune that I just wanted the second Dune movie to come out more.
I'll second this. Foundation is excellent.

I think my domestic partna' has Apple TV so maybe I'll give this a go.

Or just get the Dune movie since I haven't seen that.

Well start with the Dune movie as that was one of the best sci fi movies I've ever seen. But, Foundation is worth the watch, too - just know it's a slow burn.

Well start with the Dune movie as that was one of the best sci fi movies I've ever seen. But, Foundation is worth the watch, too - just know it's a slow burn.
Sounds like it's on Netflix so I will download it for my trip on Wednesday/Thursday. Thanks!

Reactions: Zow
It's not exactly Emmy winning TV but I'm enjoying watching Goosebumps on Disney+/Hulu with my son who used to binge watch the original Goosebumps series when he was young. 5 episodes out with a new one each Friday. It's not like the origin Goosebumps where each episode was a different story. Can't wait for Slappy!

I'm about 1/3 of the way through season 2 of Mr. In Between and the show just keeps getting better and better. Thank you for all the recommendations in here, otherwise I never would have turned it on. Ray is such a great character. There a lot going on with him and it's a joy to watch it unfold.

That little girl who plays his daughter is really good too.

Short episodes makes it easy to binge.

Currently on episode 4 of The Devil's Plan on Netflix. It's a Korean show, 12 people all live in one house and compete against/with each other, kind of like Physical 100 but with intelligence challenges. So far I'm really liking the challenges, but they've got very in-depth and complicated rules that even the contestants are messing up on at times.

I see Netflix raised rates again. Final straw for me. Mainly because I seem to never watch anything on that service anymore and there's nothing in my queue that I give a crap about. Max, Hulu, Apple, Prime and DirecTV will have to be enough for now.

I see Netflix raised rates again. Final straw for me. Mainly because I seem to never watch anything on that service anymore and there's nothing in my queue that I give a crap about. Max, Hulu, Apple, Prime and DirecTV will have to be enough for now.
I finally ditched DirecTV and I can say it is not missed at all. Replaced with YoutubeTV and it has been great. It's also at least half the cost which is nice

I finally ditched DirecTV and I can say it is not missed at all. Replaced with YoutubeTV and it has been great. It's also at least half the cost which is nice
Did the same a couple months ago. Don't regret it at all.

man,

man, that Fleabag... that was not good.

man,

Can you please explain if it was something you ate, or maybe your wife's fault... But at what point did you become a blithering idiot?

man,

Can you please explain if it was something you ate, or maybe your wife's fault... But at what point did you become a blithering idiot?
you can't be serious thinking that show was any good... at all. blech. even my wife, who never,ever, ever quits a show even if she absolutely hates it.. could not finish this one. she hung in a bit after i bailed but quit because it sucked so much.

I was a big fan of Haunting of Hill House, and maybe was in the minority of also really liking Midnight Mass.

Usher has some great acting, great narrative structure and writing in that regard, but I'm finding it just ok as an overall story.

man,

you can't be serious thinking that show was any good... at all. blech. even my wife, who never,ever, ever quits a show even if she absolutely hates it.. could not finish this one. she hung in a bit after i bailed but quit because it sucked so much.
So it was your wife's fault... Got it.

I was a big fan of Haunting of Hill House, and maybe was in the minority of also really liking Midnight Mass.

Usher has some great acting, great narrative structure and writing in that regard, but I'm finding it just ok as an overall story.
I don't think you were in the minority on Midnight Mass. I remember being in a very small group of people who didn't like it. Most were fans.

I'll second this. Foundation is excellent.
How do the books compare to the show? Was just about to start the first prequel. Thx

man,

I don't disagree. Maybe I'll give it another shot when I have Prime again but we watched a couple of episodes and we weren't really entertained.

I don't think you were in the minority on Midnight Mass. I remember being in a very small group of people who didn't like it. Most were fans.
I liked Midnight Mass. The monologs were a bit much.

Same. I'm three episodes in and I'm enjoying it as something that fits the Halloween season, but it's just okay.

One caveat is that I don't care for the acting as much as some others. Mark Hamill in particular is chewing too much scenery for my tastes, but maybe that's just a stylistic thing that's rubbing me the wrong way slightly.

man,

I don't disagree. Maybe I'll give it another shot when I have Prime again but we watched a couple of episodes and we weren't really entertained.
I thought Fleabag was fine but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as others apparently did.

man,

I thought Fleabag was fine but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as others apparently did.

The writing is some of the best ever in comedy. The dinner episode is one of the best episodes in a comedy series ever.

man,

careful. iGuys are not gonna like this take.

man,

Loved it. You're wrong

Users who are viewing this thread