What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (5 Viewers)

If you're the guy that likes to pick apart a show because "oh, that could never really happen because bla, bla, bla..." you're going to hate it.
I am not that guy. I understand that movies/TV is for entertainment and some form of disbelief must be suspended. For example, I really enjoyed Resident Alien. Although, some may say that could be 100% true. Almost like a documentary.

I'm enjoying Fall Out now 4 episodes in ... and the wifey is not hating it. I was aware of the game but never played it.
The set and scenery, all be it mostly cgi I'm sure, is fantastic with the 1950's flair in the future ... just like the game.
The writing is excellent. I've had several "WHAT?" and lol moments.... The acting is decent. Apparently the hardcore Fall Out community is very satisfied with the show ...
unlike the Halo series that was based off of another video game. They went way off the reservation with that one and fans of the game hated it.
Amazon did it right with Fall Out. If they can keep the actors and writers, this will be a hit for several seasons I'm sure.
I liked Halo... more than FO. It wasn't as hokey -and they were clearly going for hokey with FO, which seemed to have worked for a lot of viewers as humor.

I didn't play either game.
I played Halo and can tell you, the story line in the games were way better than the show.
Playing the game, it was humans against the aliens ... they made the show be humans against other humans. Why? We didn't want to root against humans.
Spartans fighting Spartans? That's for online gaming against your friends. That wasn't the story. They ruined it.

The plot in Fallout games is never great, and not even the main point of playing. If the show were truly a replica of the game experience, as soon as she leaves the vault, she would just pick a direction and go explore, killing enemies until they had found enough wood scraps to build a really cool player house. Then, 40 hours later, or maybe around season 3 or 4 in TV terms, they would finally start the main plotline.

The plot in Fallout games is never great, and not even the main point of playing. If the show were truly a replica of the game experience, as soon as she leaves the vault, she would just pick a direction and go explore, killing enemies until they had found enough wood scraps to build a really cool player house. Then, 40 hours later, or maybe around season 3 or 4 in TV terms, they would finally start the main plotline.
Seems like another reason to appreciate the series.
The writers using all aspects of the game ... history, characters, weapons, locations, situations, and creating a story (4 stories?) that keep you invested and entertained.
4 stories being: The Vault, Lucy, Maximus, The Ghoul

I'm enjoying Fall Out now 4 episodes in ... and the wifey is not hating it. I was aware of the game but never played it.
The set and scenery, all be it mostly cgi I'm sure, is fantastic with the 1950's flair in the future ... just like the game.
The writing is excellent. I've had several "WHAT?" and lol moments.... The acting is decent. Apparently the hardcore Fall Out community is very satisfied with the show ...
unlike the Halo series that was based off of another video game. They went way off the reservation with that one and fans of the game hated it.
Amazon did it right with Fall Out. If they can keep the actors and writers, this will be a hit for several seasons I'm sure.
So if you have no idea what that game is even about......like I couldn't even tell you it was a video game..........is it worth trying to watch? I would be going into it like it is any new TV series that is released with absolutely zero background at all.
Never played the game. You’ll miss some Easter eggs but who cares.

Extremely good show! Just a fun ride. Won’t win any Emmy’s but who cares, just great world building and story telling. Hope it doesn’t take years for the next season.

Just discovered this gem, Drunk Bus. Why a gem? Because it was filmed in and based around my old stomping grounds, Kent, OH. Pretty cool seeing some of the sights around town. Movie is **** but watching it for nostalgic value. Had never heard of it until this morning when someone mentioned it in a throw away comment on a Reddit board I'm on.

Just discovered this gem, Drunk Bus. Why a gem? Because it was filmed in and based around my old stomping grounds, Kent, OH. Pretty cool seeing some of the sights around town. Movie is **** but watching it for nostalgic value. Had never heard of it until this morning when someone mentioned it in a throw away comment on a Reddit board I'm on.
I stumbled upon something like this for my area. Although, I thought Paddleton was a decent movie and worth watching for more than seeing all the sites in my town.

Paddleton

They even pay homage to this with The Ghoul saying “ the wasteland has its own golden rule…thou shalt get sidetracked by bull**** every g**d**** time” which was one of the best nods to those of us who love the games.

I stumbled upon something like this for my area. Although, I thought Paddleton was a decent movie and worth watching for more than seeing all the sites in my town.

Paddleton
Same for me with the movie Piranha.

I liked Halo... more than FO. It wasn't as hokey -and they were clearly going for hokey with FO, which seemed to have worked for a lot of viewers as humor.

I played Halo and can tell you, the story line in the games were way better than the show.
Playing the game, it was humans against the aliens ... they made the show be humans against other humans. Why? We didn't want to root against humans.
Spartans fighting Spartans? That's for online gaming against your friends. That wasn't the story. They ruined it.
Not as tv story telling, they didn't.

Did the aliens have motivation or background in the game or was it just about killing aliens/bosses and getting to the next screen?

They even pay homage to this with The Ghoul saying “ the wasteland has its own golden rule…thou shalt get sidetracked by bull**** every g**d**** time” which was one of the best nods to those of us who love the games.
Did the game have those different societies- vault, brotherhood, fiends, towns, etc?

Did the game have those different societies- vault, brotherhood, fiends, towns, etc?

I haven't watched this yet, but yes the game has all of what you mention here.

Yep.

Paddleton
The original or the remake?

Paddleton
I didn't know there were two. Just looked at imdb and there are. This would be the 2010 remake with Elizabeth Shue.

Paddleton
I didn't know there were two. Just looked at imdb and there are. This would be the 2010 remake with Elizabeth Shue.
The original (I guess the 1978 version as it looks like there are a lot more than just two of these things) was awesome as a campy horror movie. In fact, I would likely have it on my list if I was in the Top 75 Horror Movie thread. It wasn't a great movie by critic standards but great for what it was. If you are in the mood and like that kind of stuff (70's/80's cult type horror movies) give it a go.

ETA: Dang it. Made me go down a Piranha movie rabbit hole...hahaha. I didn't realize how many piranha movies there are. A complete almost word for word remake of the 1978 version in 1995 and then Piranha 3D and the follow on sequel Piranha 3DD. Amazing

Last edited:

Paddleton
The original (I guess the 1978 version as it looks like there are a lot more than just two of these things) was awesome as a campy horror movie. In fact, I would likely have it on my list if I was in the Top 75 Horror Movie thread. It wasn't a great movie by critic standards but great for what it was. If you are in the mood and like that kind of stuff (70's/80's cult type horror movies) give it a go.

ETA: Dang it. Made me go down a Piranha movie rabbit hole...hahaha. I didn't realize how many piranha movies there are. A complete almost word for word remake of the 1978 version in 1995 and then Piranha 3D and the follow on sequel Piranha 3DD. Amazing
The '78 version is the one I'm familiar with. I was 14, it was perfect. Indicative of just about every horror movie done during that time. It's hard to watch those movies and see what's out now and ever think, "man that was some state of the art stuff!"

Did the aliens have motivation or background in the game or was it just about killing aliens/bosses and getting to the next screen?
The Halo tv series was loosely based on the game story ... the aliens attempting to acquire an artifact that would transport them to heaven ...
the humans fear that it is a weapon. They are at war ... so no, not just humans killing bugs.
In the game, Master Chief was a cold hearted bad az throughout ... childhood trauma would not have ever be a thing like it was in the show.
And then the love story ... It felt like they were attempting to appeal to the female demographic but at the cost of losing their main demographic, the hard core Halo gamers.
My coworker, a gamer and a fan of the Halo games, couldn't get past episode 4 of that series before tapping out. He hated it. Conversely, he can't stop raving about the Fall Out series.

So if you have no idea what that game is even about......like I couldn't even tell you it was a video game..........is it worth trying to watch? I would be going into it like it is any new TV series that is released with absolutely zero background at all.
I think you can enjoy it without the game as long as you accept the weird world it's in. The world prewar that they show, the humor and ridiculousness of many things are all right from the game.

Now I'm wondering whether the game had the classic line from Ep. 4 - “*** jerky don’t make itself.”

The Halo tv series was loosely based on the game story ... the aliens attempting to acquire an artifact that would transport them to heaven ...
the humans fear that it is a weapon. They are at war ... so no, not just humans killing bugs.
In the game, Master Chief was a cold hearted bad az throughout ... childhood trauma would not have ever be a thing like it was in the show.
And then the love story ... It felt like they were attempting to appeal to the female demographic but at the cost of losing their main demographic, the hard core Halo gamers.
My coworker, a gamer and a fan of the Halo games, couldn't get past episode 4 of that series before tapping out. He hated it. Conversely, he can't stop raving about the Fall Out series.

I've been a huge fan of Halo games for more than 20 years, and I enjoyed season 1 and season 2 is supposed to be much better. There are tons of Very Online fans of all these IP franchises that are toxic and will hate just about everything. The chief complaint of that crowd for season 1 was that the main character took his helmet off... I mean really? You thought the protagonist was just going to be a silent assassin over multiple seasons of a TV show? It's a lot of nonsense.

The Gentlemen on Netflix
Shogun on Hulu

Both are fantastic.
I (and the wife) also enjoyed the Gentlemen.
I do usually like Guy Ritchie workings. Snatch is one of my favorite movies that I will rewatch again and again whenever I find it while clicking.
I need to give Shogun a shot next.

I've been a huge fan of Halo games for more than 20 years, and I enjoyed season 1 and season 2 is supposed to be much better. There are tons of Very Online fans of all these IP franchises that are toxic and will hate just about everything. The chief complaint of that crowd for season 1 was that the main character took his helmet off... I mean really? You thought the protagonist was just going to be a silent assassin over multiple seasons of a TV show? It's a lot of nonsense.
I had no issue with the Master Chief having his helmet off ... with the exception of the fight scenes when he wasn't wearing it.
That was dumb ... but the director wanted you to see his face, the emotion, sweat, blood, which wouldn't have happened with the helmet.
I disliked it for the reasons mentioned above. Really just wanted him to be a "complete the mission at all costs" type of character like in the game
... instead of the "what if what I'm doing is wrong?" that they gave us.

True story: I started to suggest a video game forum but I didn't know if there were enough people on this site that played video games to warrant such an action. Although plopping a video games thread into the free for all would also suffice (there also could already be one) so I guess there was no real point in it anyways.

She left her vault to find her dad, yes? Which is pretty similar to FO3. I'm sure there are some players that just randomly start exploring and killing enemies and don't start the main questline till later but that's unneeded and slightly detrimental (at least in FO4) so I disagree with you on that being the "game experience"

I played 10 minutes with a nephew once, and remember nothing (I did play Borderlands some and they melded in my history). I'm enjoying the show 4 episodes in.

True story: I started to suggest a video game forum but I didn't know if there were enough people on this site that played video games to warrant such an action. Although plopping a video games thread into the free for all would also suffice (there also could already be one) so I guess there was no real point in it anyways.

She left her vault to find her dad, yes? Which is pretty similar to FO3. I'm sure there are some players that just randomly start exploring and killing enemies and don't start the main questline till later but that's unneeded and slightly detrimental (at least in FO4) so I disagree with you on that being the "game experience"

There’s a video game thread, used to be many more but as the demographics and ages of the board have gotten older those posts have fallen off. (I for one have a massive backlog of games for years that I probably will never catch up on.) I remember lots of fun stuff with Call of Duty with FBG’s, lots of Gears of War gaming nights, and there was a dedicated thread to Fallout 3 and New Vegas I believe.

Watched a few movies this past week.

Poor Things. That was something. I went it blind, really just knowing it was critically acclaimed, Emma Stone's performance was liked, and I knew only the very basics of the plot. I thought it was pretty good. It was different. Willem DeFoe is usually pretty good and he was again (I would have loved to have seen Gary Oldman try that part), Mark Ruffalo was good, but yea Emma Stone was terrific. It took her too long to walk properly (yeah i know minor quip but it bugged me) but definitely worth a watch.

The Bricklayer. Uhh, terrible. This is the kind of movie that would normally be right up my alley, but miscasting, formulaic plot, tired, dragged out old story. Would not recommend.

Fallout is live. Hitting play on episode 1. I hope this is good.
Came to this thread just to see what was being said about Fallout. Finished 4 (or 5?) episodes on a trip out to Nashville for a work conference and was pretty entertained. Never played the video games, but I guess it doesn't matter.

finished 3 body problem. Still don't care about any of the people. Is it acting or writing that makes them so pouty? Still looking forward to s2. The premise I think is awesome.
Same, enjoyed this too.

Enjoyed Fallout quite a bit.

Currently halfway through the Gentlemen, and don’t love it but will finish it.

Watched Anatomy of a Fall on Hulu last night and it held my interest but not sure I understand all the Oscar nominations. I often don’t though. The argument scene was pretty captivating.

Watched a few episode of Baby Reindeer last night. Definitely a wild story and I appreciate the protagonist is actual guy and doesn't appear to be hiding from his irrational choices and actions throughout.* The actress playing the stalker does a really good job. That said, it can be a tough watch and it's pretty hard to be like, "can't wait for the next episode!" because it's just like watching a trainwreck.

*The sexual assault scene was done really well to demonstrate the victims do, in reality, oftentimes freeze and sexually respond in those situations and it doesn't mean that the act was consensual.

2 episodes into Jinx. Does it really need to keep going? I was into it for a while but what more is there to learn?
The original one from 2015? The last scene in the last episode is a documentary classic. It's been a long time, but I remember it being interesting, but I like true crime stuff.

Didn't realize this was from 2015. :bag: I'll stick with it. I too enjoy true crime.

2 episodes into Jinx. Does it really need to keep going? I was into it for a while but what more is there to learn?
The original one from 2015? The last scene in the last episode is a documentary classic. It's been a long time, but I remember it being interesting, but I like true crime stuff.

Didn't realize this was from 2015. :bag: I'll stick with it. I too enjoy true crime.

I thought it was interesting but was definitely one of those docs that would have been better suited to 3 episodes.

I’m 2 episodes into The Curse. It’s not that good even for Nathan Fielder imo
College buddy says that if you get bored, jump to the final episode, because "the payoff defies description." I've had my fill of Fielder so won't be checking it out.

Some of the recent discussion of shows got me thinking about how we rate shows. I'm curious which is most important for some of you:

1) The characters themselves?
2) The writing/dialogue?
3) The story/content?
4) The cinematography?
5) Other?

I know they are all important, but, for me, if the story/content isn't enjoyable and doesn't have good writing, the rest doesn't really matter to me. But it seems that may not be the case for everyone. Just curious......

Some of the recent discussion of shows got me thinking about how we rate shows. I'm curious which is most important for some of you:

2) The writing/dialogue?
3) The story/content?
4) The cinematography?
5) Other?

I know they are all important, but, for me, if the story/content isn't enjoyable and doesn't have good writing, the rest doesn't really matter to me. But it seems that may not be the case for everyone. Just curious......
My biggest thing is if there are no like-able characters I won’t stay with the show. I need at least one character that I can root for.

2) The writing/dialogue?
3) The story/content?
4) The cinematography?
5) Other?

My biggest thing is if there are no like-able characters I won’t stay with the show. I need at least one character that I can root for.
Ted Lasso was so great for me because EVERYONE was likeable. That's most important for me these days. I hate everyone in real life, so I need my movies to make up for it. I didn't love Dune 2, and I think that was part of the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread