What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Super Bowl LVIII - San Francisco 49'ers 14-5 vs Kansas City Chiefs 14-6*** (+2, 47.5) Chiefs are World Champions 25-22 in Overtime (2 Viewers)

Any HOF legacies on the line? Chris Jones and George Kittle come to mind. Kyle Shanahan. Harrison Butker.

Reid/Mahomes/Kelce/Spags/CMC/Trent are all locks.

Have to think Chris Jones and Harrison Butker secured their gold jackets no?

I said this many years back but Butker looks like he’ll go down as the 2nd best Yellow Jacket in the NFL. Which tells you the talent pipeline has been pretty bare. Either way, happy for Harrison.

I
Mahomes said if they won the toss they would have kicked it. I guess that makes sense because if the other team scores a TD you are going to go for 2 anyway.

The only drawback is the FG/FG thing though.

Would you go for 2? Defenses are gassed so maybe but I don’t think it’s automatic. Will be interesting to see if someone has run the numbers on this already.
WWMCDCD?

(Motor City Dan Campbell)
Campbell onsides it in OT.

I
Mahomes said if they won the toss they would have kicked it. I guess that makes sense because if the other team scores a TD you are going to go for 2 anyway.

The only drawback is the FG/FG thing though.

Would you go for 2? Defenses are gassed so maybe but I don’t think it’s automatic. Will be interesting to see if someone has run the numbers on this already.
WWMCDCD?

(Motor City Dan Campbell)
Campbell onsides it in OT.
Ha. As if he would have kicked the FG at the end of regulation

Also, hope this puts to bed any talk remotely suggesting Purdy isn’t the surefire franchise QB they need to move forward with.

He was excellent.
Are you saying he's "no longer a game manager, he's now a game executive?"
Lol at whoever said in the background as they cut away from that, "That was a great line."
No it wasn't. It was cheesy as all get out.

Big congratulations to the Chiefs. They beat an excellent 49ers team, and there is really no reason this won't be the Super Bowl again next season.

Felt like the difference was Reid/Spags>Shanahan/Wilks, thought the 49ers have a better roster, but this was another example of how much coaching matters, and the 49ers made bad adjustments as the game went on, getting too conservative, and KC never panicked.

We are getting to the point where we need to start talking about Andy Reid as a top-3 Head Coach of the Super Bowl era. He's a 1st ballot HOFer, and if KC wins again next year, its Belichick and him alone at the top of the last 50 years. Yes I'm saying Reid>Walsh, yes I'm saying Reid>Gibbs, and yes I'm especially saying Reid>Shula.

None of this should be taken as a knock on Kyle Shanahan who has done an excellent job in SF, but he's starting to look destined to be another Bud Grant. A great HC, who just kept running into juggernauts. SF I think lost a very similar way to how Buffalo did. They had they right where they wanted them, but just got outcoached. The difference being SF has a much more talented roster (except at QB) than Buffalo does.

For fun, if I had to pick a final 4 for next season I'll say KC and a healthy Bengals team bounces back in the AFC, and I think SF and GB (takes another step forward) in the NFC.

I love Brady but Mahomes is the greatest player of all time.

Hes winning rings with Mecole Freaking Hardman and Marquez Valdes-Scantling
Brady won rings where he was counting on the likes of David Patten and Daniel Graham in huge roles, and without anyone close to a Kelce level player.

Mahomes may get there in time, and its certainly long past time to be talking about him as a top-10 guy, but this feels a little hyperbolic in the moment.

The Chiefs defense won this Super Bowl. They kept them in the game long enough to give Mahomes a chance.

And the cherry on top is winning this on the Raiders field with John Elway handing them the trophy.

And one more to close this out:

Super Bowl 58.

Derrick Thomas’ number.

The Chiefs defense won this Super Bowl. They kept them in the game long enough to give Mahomes a chance.

And the cherry on top is winning this on the Raiders field with John Elway handing them the trophy.

And one more to close this out:

Super Bowl 58.

Derrick Thomas’ number.
Congrats, GB.

CoMpletely agree. KC D was the MVP.

So who is the first game next year?

Houston at KC would be my guess

-QG

I see that this was the matchup 4 years ago. While a lot has changed with Houston to make that kind of interest after thinking a little more it is the perfect spot to have Harbaugh make his Chargers debut so changing my guess to that.
-QG

Mahomes gets a huge assist from Reid.

>>After a 49ers muffed punt, Patrick Mahomes throws his 18th TD of the season to an open receiver in the red zone, 8 more than any other QB.<<

Mahomes can scramble better, and throw it farther and from any angle. But I'll still take Brady for pre-snap read, anticipation, and intangibles, for now. I know it was MVS, but it was a wide-open MVS and a wide-open Hardman.

>>Marquez Valdes-Scantling had 8.3 yards of separation on his 16-yard touchdown reception, the 3rd-most separation on a TD in the Super Bowl in the NGS era (since 2016).

Patrick Mahomes is responsible for all three.<<

Brady won rings where he was counting on the likes of David Patten and Daniel Graham in huge roles, and without anyone close to a Kelce level player.

Mahomes may get there in time, and its certainly long past time to be talking about him as a top-10 guy, but this feels a little hyperbolic in the moment.
Brady will probably be the most successful QB of all time and will always be considered by many to be the GOAT, but if I had to pick a QB in their prime for one game, I am taking Mahomes. I just believe the extra weapon of his running/scrambling elevates him.

I think Brady, Mahomes, and Montana are 1-2-3 all-time. All astounding and at the top of their game when the pressure was on. Mahomes needs another Super Bowl before he's on another level than Montana.

Mahomes is definitely in the GOAT discussion, though. At least he has been for a while in my head.

Important note US Today Swift tracker reported that on the 4 hour and 18 minute game broadcast Swift was on screen for 55 seconds. It was 51 seconds until the final TD
And a lot more during the trophy ceremony, not that Chiefs/Swift haters would have been watching.

with far worse receiving options.

No worries. We'll disagree there too. The fact they're winning with Rice as a #1 is amazing. But no worries. Different opinions are what makes the game fun.

Fun to be watching greatness like this.
Ignoring Kelce is very disingenuous on your part. Yes, their WRs corps was blah, similar to the ones Brady had early in his career, but Mahomes having possibly the GOAT TE is an asset Brady never had early in his career.

That said, I am still fine with already putting Mahomes on the QB Mt Rushmore along with TB12, Montana and Peyton.

Man, I love the internet. Can't get mindless knee-jerk overreactions like this anywhere else.
not just the internet though, pretty much everyone who works for ESPN has been tweeting this, one of the reasons just can't tune in to their coverage this week.

Important note US Today Swift tracker reported that on the 4 hour and 18 minute game broadcast Swift was on screen for 55 seconds. It was 51 seconds until the final TD

I am curious how many times they panned to her during the game? 25+? Seemed like any Chiefs play of positive significance ended with her face. I do wish they got more of her cursing up a storm on the bad ones and chugging beers.

Bottom line in the game, one team had Mahomes, and one had Purdy.. I am not ripping Purdy, dude is a baller and had an excellent season, but I honestly don't think he played well. He has 3-4 passes that should have been intercepted and he missed a lot of open receivers. One was Jennings in the 3rd where it would have been an easy 6. That said, the loss is not on him, but IMO to beat KC, Your QB got to outplay Mahomes which is not easy.

Also, hope this puts to bed any talk remotely suggesting Purdy isn’t the surefire franchise QB they need to move forward with.

He was excellent.
Lol at whoever said in the background as they cut away from that, "That was a great line."

I dont think I've ever called him a game manager. He's fantastic at orchestrating the offense, making plays and delivering the ball where it's supposed to go.

The big thing to me as the game really became exciting in the second half, is we get a break from Swift and hopefully will never hear about her on a NFL board cast again.. Fingers crossed.

If that happens, we all are winners.

I am curious how many times they panned to her during the game? 25+? Seemed like any Chiefs play of positive significance ended with her face. I do wish they got more of her cursing up a storm on the bad ones and chugging beers.
I think it was BET365, Had odds at 6.5 times she would be seen during the telecast and the over won..

I think Brady, Mahomes, and Montana are 1-2-3 all-time. All astounding and at the top of their game when the pressure was on. Mahomes needs another Super Bowl before he's on another level than Montana.

Mahomes is definitely in the GOAT discussion, though. At least he has been for a while in my head.
WOW.. I don't even have Montana in my top 5.. Dude is probably 7-10 for me.. He was great, but had a HOF team around him. I think Steve Young was better and did things better IMO, but each is their own.

No worries. We'll disagree there too. The fact they're winning with Rice as a #1 is amazing. But no worries. Different opinions are what makes the game fun.

Ignoring Kelce is very disingenuous on your part. Yes, their WRs corps was blah, similar to the ones Brady had early in his career, but Mahomes having possibly the GOAT TE is an asset Brady never had early in his career.

That said, I am still fine with already putting Mahomes on the QB Mt Rushmore along with TB12, Montana and Peyton.

I hope you don't really mean to accuse me of being disingenuous. I do a lot of things wrong but for the 24 years we've had a board, but I've been honest with my opinions. Hoped you would have seen that. I think everyone understands Kelce and Reid and Jones and the Defense and Veach and Hunt and the assets in Kansas City.

Last edited:
And the reality is "best of all time" is mostly a useless discussion. I should have avoided going there. Obviously, Brady has the most impressive resume comparing his long career to what Mahomes has done so far.

I've watched a lot of football and Mahomes is the best I've ever seen.

And I'm amazed he can do it with the WRs he has. No need for me to detract from the greatness we saw last night by dragging one of my favorite players in Brady into it.

He was excellent.

I dont think I've ever called him a game manager. He's fantastic at orchestrating the offense, making plays and delivering the ball where it's supposed to go.
"Game manager" is a back-handed insult that's sometimes applied by people that don't like a player but can't really "show their math" as to why. Managing games is a big part of the job whether you're so-so or great.

My galaxy brain take on that game is that KC won because they have Mahomes and SF lost because they don’t
Sometimes it really is that simple.
I was half joking when I posted it, but the more I think about it, the more I think it's right. A buddy was talking to me about the mistakes/bad breaks SF had, and I compared it to when a bill passes Congress by one vote, and everyone in the majority can say they cast the "deciding vote". Point being, it was a close game that went to OT. Obviously you can point to a million things that, if they had gone differently, would have swung the game to SF. But the fact that there was no one obvious hinge point that people can point to -- like, say, a fourth-down decision, or an amazing catch, or a penalty call/non-call -- is in some ways clarifying. There were lots of different things that were important, but in the end Mahomes came through when he needed to. Not on any one play in particular, just over and over again over the course of his two final drives

Some random thoughts as I try to shake the cobwebs out this morning:

1. That game was truly a toss-up game and proved it all the way to the end. Whoever lost that game would have woken up today saying "damn we let that one get away."

2. Both defenses were superb last night.

3. I thought Shanahan called a hell of a game last night. The Chiefs looked off-balance all night on defense but tightened up when they had to.

4. The niners completely dominated the line of scrimmage in the first half. And a lot of the second. But the Chiefs kept finding just enough cracks to keep the game alive.

5. That late holding call against McDuffie in the 4th had us saying "well, there's the payback for the hold we benefited from in last year's Super Bowl."

6. I thought the refs did a GREAT job staying out of the way and letting the game get decided on the field. Just a good, old-fashioned, defensive grind for most of the game. Loved it.

7. I don't want to hear one more word about how this team needed Tyreek Hill. TWO RINGS. That trade laid the foundation for this young aggressive defense.

8. Feel bad for Moody. He had one hell of a night save for that XP block. That kick looked like it was going to go wide anyway, but he has a bright future in this league.

9. I did not like Kelce going up to Reid last night. I understand he was frustrated but Reid has earned more respect than that.

10. Butker is amazing. As a dad of a kicker, he is a great role model for my son to emulate.

11. Steve Spagnoulo is pretty amazing.

12. The Chiefs flat out earned this one. Beat the Dolphins at home. Beat the Bills and the Ravens on the road. And then beat the NFC #1 seed. One of the hardest roads ever to win a Super Bowl.

13. Tay Tay - I love you. You can come to our games any time you want. No matter what people say about her, she is actually watching the game and you can see she cares about it. You can't fake those emotions and I love that she is there supporting Kelce and the Chiefs.

I think Travis was mad getting pulled on the 1st and goal play. If he's in there, Pacheco probably still fumbles but it keeps the threat of throwing to him in the defenses plan. I understand your point about Reid not deserving getting an earful but I think he allows his guys to express themselves and that helps make them the way they are.

I hope you don't really mean to accuse me of being disingenuous. I do a lot of things wrong but for the 24 years we've had a board, but I've been honest with my opinions. Hoped you would have seen that. I think everyone understands Kelce and Reid and Jones and the Defense and Veach and Hunt and the assets in Kansas City.
I get all this, but when you say something like the below...

He's winning rings with Mecole Freaking Hardman and Marquez Valdes-Scantling

...it feels like you were implying that Mahomes is winning rings with a bunch of clowns and that Brady never did. Yes, the defense did the heavy lifting way more often than not on Brady's first three championships, but he never had a skill position player even close to as great as Travis Kelce until 2007.

He was excellent.

Sorry, my post was clumsy. I wasn't trying to imply you ever called him that. I was mostly just making fun of the announcer's line (I think it was sometime during or right after the awards ceremony?) delivered like he thought that up a while back and was so proud of himself that he could use it last night, and then the barely audible "that was a great line" right after that cracked me up.
Your post just seemed to have a similar sentiment (that more people should have a higher opinion of Purdy after last night), but said in a normal, non-cheesy way. :-)

Users who are viewing this thread