What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Super Bowl LVIII - San Francisco 49'ers 14-5 vs Kansas City Chiefs 14-6*** (+2, 47.5) Chiefs are World Champions 25-22 in Overtime (1 Viewer)

SF has come up just short now a couple times vs Mahomes and the Chiefs
3 seconds left in Overtime up 22-19, that's going to be a very hard pill to swallow for that team
the game would have continued into another quarter
That's not what @Anarchy99 says
I'd like clarity on this because if that's true as you say Mitchie, there's no real reason for the game clock to be on
They completely changed the OT rules and it is now set up like the first quarter and second quarter. Had the time run out, they would have switched sides and kept playing and 2OT would
have been played like the second quarter with a two minute warning if it got that far.

LINK

I thought they only changed the rules for the first possession.

I feel bad for @Wingnut @Hot Sauce Guy
There's other big SF fans on here but those guys are there every week throughout
I'm sure you all will be in the mix again next year
There’s always next year.

Lost to Mahomes happens to a lot of teams.

Can’t blame it on Moody. Can’t blame it on Shanny. Can’t blame it on defense.

Hell of a game. One for the ages.
Outside of Gabe Davis thread, i love your posts gb ;) . Congrats on a great year.

Should’ve kicked to start OT
I almost wonder if the player didn't know the rules. Such an egregious mistake to take the ball.
What is the rule, couldn’t KC have gone done and scored a TD and ended it without SF getting a touch?
No both teams were getting a possession. I’d rather know what I need and if I’m in 4 down
Especially with Mahomes as the QB. Egregious mistake by the Niners. That's on their coaches for not preparing the players for that coin toss.
As they mentioned on the broadcast, I think the defense was gassed.
That's fine but you still have to play the best odds right? Give the Chiefs the ball first and if they go down and score a TD at least you know you are always in 4 down territory. There is absolutely no reason to take the ball first with the current rules. It probably cost them the game.

Of course there’s a reason to. If the Niners scored a TD and Chiefs matched then SF gets the ball back with a chance to win with a FG.
By taking the ball first, they guaranteed the Chiefs get an extra down on their final drive. They had to go for it on 4th. I would rather be in the position of knowing that I have to go for it on 4th.

I almost wonder if the player didn't know the rules. Such an egregious mistake to take the ball.
What is the rule, couldn’t KC have gone done and scored a TD and ended it without SF getting a touch?
No both teams were getting a possession. I’d rather know what I need and if I’m in 4 down
Especially with Mahomes as the QB. Egregious mistake by the Niners. That's on their coaches for not preparing the players for that coin toss.
That's fine but you still have to play the best odds right? Give the Chiefs the ball first and if they go down and score a TD at least you know you are always in 4 down territory. There is absolutely no reason to take the ball first with the current rules. It probably cost them the game.

Of course there’s a reason to. If the Niners scored a TD and Chiefs matched then SF gets the ball back with a chance to win with a FG.
By taking the ball first, they guaranteed the Chiefs get an extra down on their final drive. They had to go for it on 4th. I would rather be in the position of knowing that I have to go for it on 4th.

I feel like you are ignoring the 3rd possession - I have no clue what the math will say but my gut tells me receiving is the right call.

I feel like you are ignoring the 3rd possession - I have no clue what the math will say but my gut tells me receiving is the right call.
I feel like knowing what you need on your 1st possession is a huge advantage, just like college.

I feel like knowing what you need on your 1st possession is a huge advantage, just like collefe.

What if SF scored a TD?

I love Brady but Mahomes is the greatest player of all time.

Hes winning rings with Mecole Freaking Hardman and Marquez Valdes-Scantling

Well, and the greatest TE in NFL history and one of the best offensive playcallers ever.

I'm a big Mahomes fan and agree he will probably end up the greatest, but it's not like Kelce/Rice/Hardman/MVS is worse than Daniel Graham/Troy Brown/Deion Branch/David Patten.

You might be right but I'm not ignoring the 3rd possession. That's irrelevant IMO. San Fran elects to receive in OT which means 4 options:

1. They go down and score a TD
2. They go down and kick a FG
3. They punt it back to the Chiefs
4. They turn the ball over

In scenarios 1 and 2, the Chiefs have an automatic extra 4th down play. That seems like a massive advantage to me. I'm not thinking ahead to a 3rd possession.

I feel like knowing what you need on your 1st possession is a huge advantage, just like collefe.

What if SF scored a TD?
And so what? Then the Chiefs still have an extra automatic down.

What if SF scored a TD?
Then KC would have known they needed to score one to match.

I don’t know what the math says — maybe having the third possession with sudden death outweighs the value of knowing what you need on the second — but imagine the Niners kicked and both drives played out the same way. You don’t think Kyle would have liked to know that he should have gone for it on 4th and goal?

Well, and the greatest TE in NFL history and one of the best offensive playcallers ever.

I'm a big Mahomes fan and agree he will probably end up the greatest, but it's not like Kelce/Rice/Hardman/MVS is worse than Daniel Graham/Troy Brown/Deion Branch/David Patten.

No worries. We'll disagree there. I think he's the greatest now. But I'm sure plenty will disagree.

You might be right but I'm not ignoring the 3rd possession. That's irrelevant IMO. San Fran elects to receive in OT which means 4 options:

1. They go down and score a TD
2. They go down and kick a FG
3. They punt it back to the Chiefs
4. They turn the ball over

In scenarios 1 and 2, the Chiefs have an automatic extra 4th down play. That seems like a massive advantage to me. I'm not thinking ahead to a 3rd possession.

How often do you think the teams would match scores on their first drives? 25%? 50%?

I’m willing to be proven wrong (and I’m guessing anyway) but I’d want that possible 3rd possession to be mine.

No worries. We'll disagree there. I think he's the greatest now. But I'm sure plenty will disagree.

Totally a fair opinion and I think plenty would agree with your broader point. But the Hardman/MVS thing was a weird thing to focus on given that they also have one pretty good receiving option, another great receiving option, a great playcaller, AND that the guy you're making the direct comparison to won multiple Super Bowls with far worse receiving options.

What if SF scored a TD?
Then KC would have known they needed to score one to match.

I don’t know what the math says — maybe having the third possession outweighs the value of knowing what you need on the second — but imagine the Niners kicked and both drives played out the same way. You don’t think Kyle would have liked to know that he should have gone for it on 4th and goal?

Yeah, I started this with saying it’s probably close but I think receiving is probably like 55/45 or something. In a simulation I’d assume you get to a 3rd possession probably 25-50% of the time. Whatever that percentage is I am the favorite.

Reactions: Zow
Mahomes said if they won the toss they would have kicked it. I guess that makes sense because if the other team scores a TD you are going to go for 2 anyway.

The only drawback is the FG/FG thing though.

What if SF scored a TD?

Then unless KC goes for 2 I’m going to get the ball with a chance to kick a FG to win.

Mahomes said if they won the toss they would have kicked it. I guess that makes sense because if the other team scores a TD you are going to go for 2 anyway.

Would you go for 2? Defenses are gassed so maybe but I don’t think it’s automatic. Will be interesting to see if someone has run the numbers on this already.

What if SF scored a TD?

Then unless KC goes for 2 I’m going to get the ball with a chance to kick a FG to win.
Yeah that’s the thing. KC is almost certainly going for two because you’d rather put the game in the hands of Mahomes rather than your gassed D. So you have to figure that into your calculations

Would you go for 2? Defenses are gassed so maybe but I don’t think it’s automatic. Will be interesting to see if someone has run the numbers on this already.
WWMCDCD?

(Motor City Dan Campbell)

What if SF scored a TD?

100% I think KC goes for 2 there. :shrug:

I legit didn't even realize it was over. Great job talking heads.

They explained it like 45 times.
I had the volume off. Seriously though, they didn't declare a winner for like fifteen seconds.

Wait so you turned the volume off and then criticized the talking heads for not finding a way to communicate it to you while you had them muted?

EDIT: It was also written on the screen at the beginning of overtime, btw.
He had the picture off too.

What if SF scored a TD?

Yeah that’s the thing. KC is almost certainly going for two because you’d rather put the game in the hands of Mahomes rather than your gassed D. So you have to figure that into your calculations

Ok, 51-49 receiving. ;)

I‘ll say this - they’ve made it where it seems about as fair as it could be and much better than it’s been.

I would go for two. I also would elect to receive though for the fg fg scenario. Or, alternatively, a punt punt scenario I suppose. Either way there is a real possibility of a third possession even if the other team is going to go for two if you score a td first.

WWMCDCD?

(Motor City Dan Campbell)

Start a new thread imo

What if SF scored a TD?

Ok, 51-49 receiving. ;)

I‘ll say this - they’ve made it where it seems about as fair as it could be and much better than it’s been.
I just like that it scrambles everyone’s brain and we don’t readily have all the WP% calculations at our fingertips because this is a totally new situation

Also, hope this puts to bed any talk remotely suggesting Purdy isn’t the surefire franchise QB they need to move forward with.

He was excellent.
I thought Purdy played well overall but not excellent. In the third quarter when the Niners had a chance to pad their lead, he was terrible. I don’t have stats in front of me but it seemed like he couldn’t complete a pass in the 3rd quarter. I was impressed, though, that he fought through it and ended to game pretty well.

Also, hope this puts to bed any talk remotely suggesting Purdy isn’t the surefire franchise QB they need to move forward with.

He was excellent.
I thought Purdy played well overall but not excellent. In the third quarter when the Niners had a chance to pad their lead, he was terrible. I don’t have stats in front of me but it seemed like he couldn’t complete a pass in the 3rd quarter. I was impressed, though, that he fought through it and ended to game pretty well.
I thought he played well in the first quarter. After that, I thought he struggled. The Niners were controlling that game early and could not put it away.

He was excellent.
Meh. He's more than a game manager and surely better than Jimmy G. He reads coverages well which certainly allows him to play above his skill set. When pass protection doesn't breakdown he's ultra efficient. Was he really any better than any QB he played against in the playoffs?

A surefire franchise QB with multiple elite weapons on offense and an elite defense. I'll give him that. San Francisco isn't keeping all those guys too much longer.

He was excellent.
Meh. He's more than a game manager and surely better than Jimmy G. He reads coverages well which certainly allows him to play above his skill set. When pass protection doesn't breakdown he's ultra efficient. Was he really any better than any QB he played against in the playoffs?

A surefire franchise QB with multiple elite weapons on offense and an elite defense. I'll give him that. San Francisco isn't keeping all those guys too much longer

He was excellent.
Couldn't disagree more. Shanahan constantly putting too much on his plate when he's just not good enough to handle it is why they lost imo. Can count 3-4 times where he got away from his best player McCaffrey and it never went well. Especially the first two possessions coming out of the half. Major momentum killer for SF.

Users who are viewing this thread