What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 42: Starts Wednesday March 9, 2022 (2 Viewers)

i don't think varner was in on it, but i would be curious to find out how he knew.  zeke said he never told anyone while on survivor.  
My guess would be that since Varner (according to him) in actively involve in advocating on behalf of LGBTQ community, he had a lot of exposure to transgendered people and is familiar with the various stages of a transitioned person. Add that to him living with Zeke and seeing everything from bathroom habits to grooming. There may have been enough signs that Varner 100% knew Zeke was born a female.

that was nuts. Varner is a POS and Zeke handled that with amazing grace.

Varner will be vilified for a long time, but all I could think was what if it had been a straight man that had done that? he would have to move to a deserted island with no internet or phone for the rest of his life. and people would still probably rent boats just to motor out and throw stuff at him.

that was nuts. Varner is a POS and Zeke handled that with amazing grace.

Varner will be vilified for a long time, but all I could think was what if it had been a straight man that had done that? he would have to move to a deserted island with no internet or phone for the rest of his life. and people would still probably rent boats just to motor out and throw stuff at him.
Could be a new show for Mark Burnett. At least a reward challenge. 

My guess would be that since Varner (according to him) in actively involve in advocating on behalf of LGBTQ community, he had a lot of exposure to transgendered people and is familiar with the various stages of a transitioned person. Add that to him living with Zeke and seeing everything from bathroom habits to grooming. There may have been enough signs that Varner 100% knew Zeke was born a female.
or there was unaired footage of those two talking about it.  Who knows maybe in one of the confessionals varner said he would out zeke to the tribe if push comes to shove. Whatever happened it worked out perfect for the producers in the edit room.  :tinfoil:

Part of me feels bad for Varner. There's been times when I've said or done something that I shouldn't have and once it happens you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. Then you spend days or weeks thinking about it and wishing you could redo it. 

So he's spent however long from when they taped that to now thinking about this and regretting it and dreading this episode airing. And this screw up is seen by millions and will live with him forever. 
:goodposting:  

It has all the makings of an award winning documentary. They already have the recorded interviews leading up to and immediately following the incident. Continue with regular interviews with him over the agonizing months as he counts down and dreads the airing. Add live footage of him watching the show. Finish with reactions from friends/community, outrage, and his life literally changing in front of your eyes.

or there was unaired footage of those two talking about it.  Who knows maybe in one of the confessionals varner said he would out zeke to the tribe if push comes to shove. Whatever happened it worked out perfect for the producers in the edit room.  :tinfoil:
zeke mumbled "i never told anyone while playing survivor" or something to that effect.  i had to rewind it 3 times to understand what he said.  i'm sticking to my conspiracy theory.  i get it that varner may have known on his own, but it just fits too perfectly with the challenge.

:goodposting:  

It has all the makings of an award winning documentary. They already have the recorded interviews leading up to and immediately following the incident. Continue with regular interviews with him over the agonizing months as he counts down and dreads the airing. Add live footage of him watching the show. Finish with reactions from friends/community, outrage, and his life literally changing in front of your eyes.
Yeah it's like I somewhat know what he's feeling like but this is orders of magnitude worse. The damn thing is that as a gay guy I'm pretty sure he doesn't care if someone is a transgender. I believe him on that. This happened because of money. It ought to be a lesson to everyone. 

Yeah it's like I somewhat know what he's feeling like but this is orders of magnitude worse. The damn thing is that as a gay guy I'm pretty sure he doesn't care if someone is a transgender. I believe him on that. This happened because of money. It ought to be a lesson to everyone. 
I don't know about that.  There's still a lot of hate in the gay community for the transgender community.

So I did think it was a little heavy handed in the light that Survivor sort of tried to exploit the moment.  However, I think it was appropriate, heart breaking to see, and probably sent a great message out to the world.  Just thought it got a little f'd out after 12 minutes of it.  I do think Varner immediately regretted it and started to feel bad for him toward the end, but not even 10x as bad as I felt for Zeke.  That was heavy.  ####.  
It bothered me that Verner didn't bow out on his own acord after that...he also is holding onto the "I thought he was already out" narrative that I am not sure that I believe.   Susan (Ithink that's her name) had a Schochet moment where, for a minute, it was all about her and how "grown" she is now...cringy 

zeke showing true class and strength...

Part of me feels bad for Varner. There's been times when I've said or done something that I shouldn't have and once it happens you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. Then you spend days or weeks thinking about it and wishing you could redo it. 

So he's spent however long from when they taped that to now thinking about this and regretting it and dreading this episode airing. And this screw up is seen by millions and will live with him forever. 
Varner said he has been in therapy since leaving the island. He also said some of tribal council was edited out. When Jeff was talking about the deception of the secret alliance with Zeke, Ozzy, and Andrea, he said Zeke looked at him and said there was no deception, and that he wasn't deceiving anyone, and that is when the rotten stuff flowed out of Varner's mouth about Zeke being deceptive about hiding his trans. Anyway, I don't think Jeff (Varner) is a terrible person, but he is a person that did a terrible thing. I think he genuinely regrets it and is sorry for it.  

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick scan of twitter reactions revealed that Zeke and Hannah from his season are a couple and I think engaged? 
There are worse "beards", that's for sure.

I still can't picture Zeke as a chick.
I can see a woman behind that mustache, and Zeke's voice has always seemed off to me. One of my best friends is gay, and while most of her lesbian friends are lipstick lesbians, a few of the ones who aren't could look like Zeke if you put a stache on them. I'm serious. It is like nature couldn't decide whether they should be a man or woman so they look like both. Like that character Pat on SNL. 

Finally got around to watching this last night.  As everyone said, ####ty move by Varner.  Glad he's gone.  

I know editing is a big part of this show, but we only see what we see... Zeke was inspirational in how he handled that TC.  I find myself pulling for him to win this season.

Probst also did a fine job with that TC.  We talked about his job up thread the catch phrases we hear every week.  The guy is great at what he does.  

Varner tried to play it off like it came out before he thought or something.  Zeke said in an interview yesterday that Varner asked him right before tribal why he hadn't told the tribe he is trans.  No way this wasn't a planned attack by Varner.  Being a gay man himself, he had to know how unacceptable his actions were.  Zeke also said that directly before Varner said it, Zeke told the tribe that he had been honest with the Ozzy situation.  Varner then said what he said.  

As others have said, it's amazing what people do for money.

I dont feel bad for Varner at all. He knew what he was going to do and he did it. It wasnt a spur of the moment thing. The only reason he felt bad was he didnt get the reaction he was hoping for. 
I think after it had time to sink in, he felt awful in how it played out.  But I agree with you.  I think he had it up his sleeve the whole episode.  When he was sitting next to Zeke during his "scrambling" phase after the challenge, he said (not to Zeke, but to the camera/viewing audience) "I know something about Zeke that others don't know."  Or "he's hiding something"  or something to that effect.  Can't remember that exact exchange.  But when he revealed at TC, I remembered back to that moment.  He planned to use it if he felt things weren't going to go his way at TC.  

Couple of things that might have gotten lost at TC were the play of Ozzie and Debbie.

When Varner first said he knew without a shadow of a doubt that he was going home, that he talked to everyone and tried to convince them, but it didn't work.  Debbie immediately recognized his BS and called him out.  That is what sent Varner scrambling to say Zeke and Ozzie were being dishonest with the girls and the girls were not in their plans, etc.  And then the bombshell.  

Debbie is an odd bird, one of the oddest.  But she isn't dumb.  

The dumb one is Ozzie.  He just sat there listening to Varner try to use him against the girls, but said nothing (edited maybe).  He always just sits there.  Dude, stand up and be heard.  Tell those girls you didn't throw them under the bus.. something.  

Part of the reason Ozzie will never win.  And also why Zeke wants to keep him around til the merge.  Ozzie will be the #1 target to oust post merge because of individual immunity challenges.  But his biggest flaw is he has no social game.  Just goes with the flow.  Does he even have an alliance of friends out there?  He doesn't even look for hidden idols.  It's like he never watches the show.  

if anything, the way they played up how impacted Aubry, Monica, etc. were by their previous games and how brain dead everyone gets, how physically & mentally exhausting being starved & sleep-deprived for a month can make a person.. for the narrative to be "Varner is just a horrible human being" is a bit over the top.

what he did was wrong but didn't feel malicious to me.

felt more like an utterance of complete exhaustion & lack of mental acuity.  given a clear head i doubt he says anything at all. maybe he's thinking it but the brainpower is there to hold it back. given they were out there for 17 days of total exhaustion at that point.. he let slip something he shouldn't have.

bad decision but tired, starved, feeling cornered.  it happens.

there's a word for being hungry and it making you cranky.. hell Snickers has an ad campaign based around it.. now multiply that by a million and sometimes people are going to do and say things they regret.  doesn't make their intent malicious.

if anything, the way they played up how impacted Aubry, Monica, etc. were by their previous games and how brain dead everyone gets, how physically & mentally exhausting being starved & sleep-deprived for a month can make a person.. for the narrative to be "Varner is just a horrible human being" is a bit over the top.

felt more like an utterance of complete exhaustion & lack of mental acuity.  given a clear head i doubt he says anything at all. maybe he's thinking it but the brainpower is there to hold it back. given they were out there for 17 days of total exhaustion at that point.. he let slip something he shouldn't have.

bad decision but tired, starved, feeling cornered.  it happens.

there's a word for being hungry and it making you cranky.. hell Snickers has an ad campaign based around it.. now multiply that by a million and sometimes people are going to do and say things they regret.  doesn't make their intent malicious.
Didn't he just have 10 different types of pizza?  

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Didn't he just have 10 different types of pizza?  
one real meal in 17 days with no sleep and physically beaten at his age?

i get ####### irritated if i skip lunch :shrug:  or don't get at least 6 hours of steady sleep every night.

eta:  maybe i'm just an ####### :unsure:

mr. furley said:
i know, though, it's low hanging fruit.  it's a hot topic these days. easy to have a hot take about it. easy for CBS to score ratings points.

bring on the flames
Nope, right there with ya.  CBS is the "old fogey" network.  Look up the demographics.  All of their "detective" shows play to middle America and senior citizens.  Perfect way for them to introduce this "new" concept.  

I always thought something was "off" about Zeke.  

That all said, he handled that situation with class and dignity and that was awesome to see.  

i get ####### irritated if i skip lunch :shrug:  or don't get at least 6 hours of steady sleep every night.

Again, if this was off the cuff not thinking clearly, then I'd agree. This was the opposite. He seemed to clearly plan this out ahead of time. 

They eat better than they did in the first several seasons of this show.  I agree people can get cranky.  But Varner essentially said he had something up his sleeve and would do/say anything to stay in the game.  He tried to convince the girls that Zeke threw them under the bus in his alliance with Ozzie.  He felt pressure that it wasn't going to work, so he tried to bring something out that showed Zeke was, in fact, being deceitful with them.  It backfired miserably on him.  

he was quoted as saying he was going to go nuclear, yes. many others have said the same thing in previous seasons. 

i just don't think it's fair to discount the physical & mental exhaustion of what they go through. as was foreshadowed earlier in the episode when Aubry, Sierra (?) and Culpepper bawled about the impact the game has had on their lives "people tell me i'm acting differently. i've changed as a person. i don't even tell people anymore because they can't possibly understand what it's like out here, what we go through" and "i didn't realize what Monica had been through and how much she had changed after 39 days out here.. i didn't understand" as both wept openly.  and then later bonded on the beach over it.

at that time i was thinking "wow, they're really laying it on thick right now.. something big must be coming later".

the editors spent the first half of the episode softening the impact of what was to come by trying to get the audience to understand... things get said/done when you are so exhausted that you struggle to even put a sentence together.

doesn't justify it but helps to understand how someone could say something so stupid like that. lots of people seem to want to paint this as "he's a monster! there's no other possible explanation! he's evil incarnate!" 

i felt terrible for Varner and Zeke.  one guy ruined his life (potentially) on national TV by (potentially) ruining the life of another and it never felt to me like Russell/Brandon Hantz levels of malice/anger that drove it.

one thing that always trips me out about reality tv & documentaries is how comfortable the subjects get in front of the camera. you hear people say that they forget the cameras are even there. it's what makes the genre so compelling. people come to forget that what they're doing and saying could be heard by millions of people. 

in that moment, in that state, in that instant.. i bet, to him, it really felt like it was just that small group of people there and that's as far as his words would go. and then the nanosecond after the word "transgender" crossed his lips he knew..... ####.

easy to play armchair critic from the couch with a bowl of popcorn in your lap and say "i would never have done that" but we'll never know.

Something about the food they get now compared to in the past, look at the challenges they are having them compete in. The challenges are much more rough and longer and physical. It'd take forever to do the following but how long between "meals" has one contestant gone without getting one? Meaning, each contestant seems to get a "meal" every six days or so. Not many, if any, go two weeks without a "meal" while competing in these tougher challenges. I'd bet the doctors in the past have told CBS that if they are going to do longer, tougher, more, challenges, then they have to feed them more. If you watch the first few seasons of the show, the challenges are minor league compared to what they do now.

They eat better than they did in the first several seasons of this show. 
if anything it's my biggest "complaint" about the show. doesn't seem as hard as it used to be. but maybe there's reasoning behind it. it was too tough before. even with the food they do get people are dropping tremendous amounts of weight and we've nearly seen several people die because of how badly their bodies are deteriorating.

hell two people (Caleb and black Russell) damn near died in the same challenge not all that long ago and both those guys were in tremendous physical condition.

Wow - that's actually incredible - I'm a 34 year old male and still cant even grow a mustache.  I'm jealous.  And I mean that earnestly.  He was amazing on last season as well - great player, great guy - hope he takes this thing down.
was an insane moment, but I think if I was sitting during the deliberation all I would be thinking after it came to an end would be "#####, how do we vote this guy out now and not look like total a-holes?"

Something about the food they get now compared to in the past, look at the challenges they are having them compete in. The challenges are much more rough and longer and physical. It'd take forever to do the following but how long between "meals" has one contestant gone without getting one? Meaning, each contestant seems to get a "meal" every six days or so. Not many, if any, go two weeks without a "meal" while competing in these tougher challenges. I'd bet the doctors in the past have told CBS that if they are going to do longer, tougher, more, challenges, then they have to feed them more. If you watch the first few seasons of the show, the challenges are minor league compared to what they do now.
go 6 days without a real meal

bake in the sun day after day, get maybe a couple hours interrupted sleep each day/night, nurse being banged up physically, disconnected mentally, try to run through the stress of the mental gymnastics of the social game play in an attempt to change your life.

hell, some people crack because they can't get a Starbucks in the morning. 

Lots of things change. The testosterone hormone dosage can have an effect. More comfort with one's body can result in freeing of sexual inhibitions. Don't really know for sure. Here's one article on the subject: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/how-trans-men-deal-with-their-shifting-sexuality-129
I have worked with youth who have been in similar situations (none could afford the procedure, but had issues with gender identity). It hasn't been something me or my staff have really asked directly, but when I have encountered this it has been with adolescents (and one 10 year old) and they have all kind of floated near the bi-curious area.

I have always seen hetero/gay as a continuum or a scale of like 1-100. Not a yes or no thing.

he was quoted as saying he was going to go nuclear, yes. many others have said the same thing in previous seasons. 
I wish I hadn't deleted the show from DVR so I could go back, but I swear I heard Varner say something beyond the "nuclear" comment about Zeke.  The camera was on Zeke but the commentary was Varner and he said something to the effect that he knew something about Zeke that others don't know... in a tone as if he was going to use that information if he had to.  It wasn't a spur of the moment comment that slipped out of his mouth at TC.  It was in his plans to use if he thought he needed it.  He just didn't get the reaction he wanted, imo.  

for the narrative to be "Varner is just a horrible human being" is a bit over the top.
I don't think it was malicious intent, either.  And I think he genuinely regretted what he said.  His intent (in his mind) wasn't malicious... I think he just miscalculated how it would be perceived.  I know he didn't purposely try to hurt Zeke.  

I didn't say Varner was a horrible human being (And I know your comment wasn't directed at any person in particular).  I said what he did was ####ty.  

And post merge, Zeke has to have a huge target on him now.   No way anyone wins against him in a final three with the events of the last tribal. 

Very interesting. 

The show is filmed back to back. 

No one out there had any previous knowledge about Zeke due to this. 

Varner immediately figured out Zeke was trans but knows nobody else was able to. 

Varner ASSumes Zeke got billed by the show as the first trans player so therefore the whole audience knows. 

Varner feels he has a good card he can play as a Hail Mary. 

All that and picking the buff wrong was a bad series of dominoes that fell for him. 

I know Varner cut his own throat, but Probst was pissed and seemed he decided that was it for Varner. Not having a vote was a first. (I think)

Very interesting. 

The show is filmed back to back. 

No one out there had any previous knowledge about Zeke due to this. 

Varner immediately figured out Zeke was trans but knows nobody else was able to. 

Varner ASSumes Zeke got billed by the show as the first trans player so therefore the whole audience knows. 

Varner feels he has a good card he can play as a Hail Mary. 

All that and picking the buff wrong was a bad series of dominoes that fell for him. 
It is interesting. Its at least a somewhat plausible explanation (listen to 4:35 - 6:30 for the gist of it).

They really produced it up to look like one of the worst, most shocking moments in TV history. Like others said, you could hear a pin-drop in my living room. My family was outraged. Was this all for the weekly buzz and ratings? Or is CBS going to flip the script and try to turn this into something positive / bigger as has been alluded to?

It is interesting. Its at least a somewhat plausible explanation (listen to 4:35 - 6:30 for the gist of it).

They really produced it up to look like one of the worst, most shocking moments in TV history. Like others said, you could hear a pin-drop in my living room. My family was outraged. Was this all for the weekly buzz and ratings? Or is CBS going to flip the script and try to turn this into something positive / bigger as has been alluded to?
Jeff (Varner) said the producers knew that he was questioning Zeke's gender during filming.  I wonder why they didn't tell Varner that Zeke wanted to keep it private just in case something like what happened happened. Varner said it was a 2 hour tribal council that was edited to 20 minutes. He said he became completely unglued after he realized he had outed Zeke to the country. He said Mark Burnett and Jeff Probst have been supportive to him since the show. CBS has paid for some of his therapy. He said of all the people that were at tribal council that night, Sara and Debbie are the ones that have reached out to him and have been supportive. He said he will never get over what he did, and he understands if Zeke doesn't forgive him. He is glad it has started positive conversations about transgenders.

Jeff (Varner) said the producers knew that he was questioning Zeke's gender during filming.  I wonder why they didn't tell Varner that Zeke wanted to keep it private just in case something like what happened happened. Varner said it was a 2 hour tribal council that was edited to 20 minutes. He said he became completely unglued after he realized he had outed Zeke to the country. He said Mark Burnett and Jeff Probst have been supportive to him since the show. CBS has paid for some of his therapy. He said of all the people that were at tribal council that night, Sara and Debbie are the ones that have reached out to him and have been supportive. He said he will never get over what he did, and he understands if Zeke doesn't forgive him. He is glad it has started positive conversations about transgenders.
People mentioned that Ozzy didn't defend himself against Varner's accusation about Zeke and Ozzy working together. I think Ozzy did deny the claim but it just didn't make the edit of a 2 hour tribal. Varner was about to hang himself by outing Zeke anyway so the producers probably didn't think they needed to show more Ozzy.

I think in the long run, what Varner did could be seen a positive in that opens up so many discussion about the gender transitioning process and how/ how not to handle certain private information. Sure Varner will be vilified for a while, but society is better off with him doing what he did.

I always thought it would be interesting if, after one tribe wins a food reward, they tell them that they don't have to eat it all right away. it is now theirs to do whatever they wish, so they can eat it all right now, take it back to camp & ration it out, whatever. it would make the food reward even more valuable. obviously if something is perishable, like pizza or a turkey sammich, you would need to take that into account...

Users who are viewing this thread