What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 42: Starts Wednesday March 9, 2022 (2 Viewers)

The hourglass power would be better if it didn't affect the person using it at all. You can flip the immunity, but either way, you're still vulnerable and have to deal with the fallout of your decision.

Way too easy for the person to just say 'yeah I used it - it got me immunity. Anyone would do the same'.
Interesting thought, but man that puts that person in a terrible position no matter what they choose. They would for sure have half the tribe not a fan at no fault of your own. 

how about…

- break the glass, it flips immunity but you are still on the tribe going to tribal council. BUT you get a secret immunity idol. So you’re guaranteed to make it through that tribal if just use it, or maneuver your way to not have to use it and big advantage moving forward. 

- don’t break the glass, nothing changes…the same tribe is going to tribal council including yourself.   For your decision, you get awarded some food for you and your lower tribe to keep you in their good graces.  Maybe get something personally minor like an extra vote. 

did each of these people get a bonus check for singing the praises of Applebee's?
Karishma from S39 should get the biggest bonus for that. (“Applebees is my favorite sit-down restaurant!”)

Serious answer, most likely not. Their contracts are pretty restrictive and as far as I know the only $ they get is their prize money and their reunion appearance fee (still paid in S40 and S41 despite not having conventional reunions.)

Pip's Invitation said:
That’s very much a possibility. The other is that it was a vestige of a split vote plan that was abandoned but no one told him about it.
A third possibility is “I couldn’t vote for Tori, so I voted for the person that looks the most like her.” 😆

I was thinking about this. Here are things I'm pretty sure of:

1. Every time there's a reward, everyone is coached to be super enthusiastic

2. Like when we sold jersey sponsorships, I'm sure CBS/Survivor have someone making it known that a restaurant can pay to sponsor the merge feast, and they'll include minimum x number of references and such

3. While someone like Daniel/Swati probably isn't an Applebee's regular...neither am I and if I hadn't eaten anything but a little rice and coconut for like 16 days I would be ecstatic about Applebee's and ABSOLUTELY would have sang Fancy Like and don the little dance from the music video. 

nysfl2 said:
The hourglass power would be better if it didn't affect the person using it at all. You can flip the immunity, but either way, you're still vulnerable and have to deal with the fallout of your decision.

Way too easy for the person to just say 'yeah I used it - it got me immunity. Anyone would do the same'.

Since they love twists, they could have put in another where someone could find an advantage to reverse the hour glass decision. Sorta like an idol nullifier advantage. They might not understand or know what to do with it until they find out they're not safe after all, even after winning the challenge. "Hang on a second, Jeff..."

Might at least give someone on the winning team a chance to keep their team's immunity from being reversed.   

Yeah, definitely not an Applebees guy (not a food snob by any means, I just have other places I'd rather go) but if you're offering me boneless wigs and a cheeseburger from ANYWHERE after 2 weeks of roughing it, I'll say pretty much whatever you want to make the person providing it happy.

That being said....I'm guessing everyone in that group spent half that evening running back and forth to the latrine. That kinda stuff must be absolute MURDER on your stomach after 2 weeks of just rice and bland fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
offdee said:
Interesting thought, but man that puts that person in a terrible position no matter what they choose. They would for sure have half the tribe not a fan at no fault of your own. 

how about…

- break the glass, it flips immunity but you are still on the tribe going to tribal council. BUT you get a secret immunity idol. So you’re guaranteed to make it through that tribal if just use it, or maneuver your way to not have to use it and big advantage moving forward. 

- don’t break the glass, nothing changes…the same tribe is going to tribal council including yourself.   For your decision, you get awarded some food for you and your lower tribe to keep you in their good graces.  Maybe get something personally minor like an extra vote. 
IMO the last thing this shows needs is more twists on top of twists....

with the current concept....if the person breaking the hourglass doesn't also get  immunity I'm not sure many people would break it.....

IMO the last thing this shows needs is more twists on top of twists....

with the current concept....if the person breaking the hourglass doesn't also get  immunity I'm not sure many people would break it.....
Even if you were given a hidden immunity idol by breaking it?   

Pip's Invitation said:
Yep. For the same reason, they won’t do the silly idol phrases because future casts will know what they mean.
it really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out especially when all three of them have to say it at the same time before a challenge...and especially if someone has to double or triple down on saying it a few times in a row....that combined with those three people also having to navigate within their tribe that they don't have a vote....as much as I don't like the hour glass thing...to me the "phrase twist" is the absolute worst...

Even if you were given a hidden immunity idol by breaking it?   
to me thats pretty much the same....you are still getting immunity....and lol you most likely would HAVE to use it at the next tribal because you would be there with the people who you just took immunity away from....

nysfl2 said:

:goodposting:

The whole concept is flawed. You send a person who was just disowned in a 2 person pick'em to join victors. The editors do what they can to muster an anguished decision, but in what universe is it truly a hard decision?

:goodposting:

The whole concept is flawed. You send a person who was just disowned in a 2 person pick'em to join victors. The editors do what they can to muster an anguished decision, but in what universe is it truly a hard decision?
the only thing I will say in defense to the hour glass thing is that it is completely random being one of the two people who may have to go to the island since that is determined by drawing rocks...one of them has to go.....its not like you were on the playground and these were the last two standing as teams were being picked by captains or whatever.....so being "disowned" is kind of a tough way to describe it....one of you had to go and you also knew you were getting power when you did go....so its not a total loss....

Yeah, definitely not an Applebees guy (not a food snob by any means, I just have other places I'd rather go) but if you're offering me boneless wigs and a cheeseburger from ANYWHERE after 2 weeks of roughing it, I'll say pretty much whatever you want to make the person providing it happy.

That being said....I'm guessing everyone in that group spent half that evening running back and forth to the latrine. That kinda stuff must be absolute MURDER on your stomach after 2 weeks of just rice and bland fish.
FWIW I don't believe there are latrines. The term is "aqua dumps".

the only thing I will say in defense to the hour glass thing is that it is completely random being one of the two people who may have to go to the island since that is determined by drawing rocks...one of them has to go.....its not like you were on the playground and these were the last two standing as teams were being picked by captains or whatever.....so being "disowned" is kind of a tough way to describe it....
That's another piece. If we're going to have challenges like this, draw rocks for team capains and then do schoolyard pick. Way more enmity, more strategy, entertaining. 

I miss the reward challenge right after the merge, or like 8 left, where everyone has 3 ropes and one at a time people cut a rope. Reaaaalllly clarifies pecking order in a way that can only serve to wake some people up about their position in the tribe.

I miss the reward challenge right after the merge, or like 8 left, where everyone has 3 ropes and one at a time people cut a rope. Reaaaalllly clarifies pecking order in a way that can only serve to wake some people up about their position in the tribe.

Agreed that it does a good job letting everyone know where they stand but it kinda sucks having a challenge where you basically have no control over whether you win.

Its just a reward challenge (not immunity) so its not the end of the world, but that lack of control still bothers me.

the only thing I will say in defense to the hour glass thing is that it is completely random being one of the two people who may have to go to the island since that is determined by drawing rocks...one of them has to go.....its not like you were on the playground and these were the last two standing as teams were being picked by captains or whatever.....so being "disowned" is kind of a tough way to describe it....one of you had to go and you also knew you were getting power when you did go....so its not a total loss....
I mean, I do understand what you are saying. Ultimately though the dynamic was you or the other person was picked, and you were not. Does that mean you are on the very bottom? Not necessarily, but you are absolutely not the pick of the half-tribe who holds power. 

I mean, I do understand what you are saying. Ultimately though the dynamic was you or the other person was picked, and you were not. Does that mean you are on the very bottom? Not necessarily, but you are absolutely not the pick of the half-tribe who holds power. 
we have to remember that the new "group" who just made that decision had been together for a total of about 20 minutes or long enough to complete the challenge....they literally made that decision in a huddle in less than 30 seconds after the challenge.....I don't see much of a "group message" about your "status" being sent necessarily by you being the one sent away....it really may be more of like they said "one looks like they need to eat more than the other"....while Tori was fine with Rocksroy going and not being a part of their group and was maybe able to have some influence in that 30 second huddle....I don't think there is really much of a message.....

eta: changed tribe to group....as I'm not sure they are really one tribe just yet...and/or the merge isn't quite official yet....or is it..?

That's another piece. If we're going to have challenges like this, draw rocks for team capains and then do schoolyard pick. Way more enmity, more strategy, entertaining. 

Jeff got pissy after the S29 cast planned out the order/winner in advance and it hasn’t been back since.

we have to remember that the new "group" who just made that decision had been together for a total of about 20 minutes or long enough to complete the challenge....they literally made that decision in a huddle in less than 30 seconds after the challenge.....I don't see much of a "group message" about your "status" being sent necessarily by you being the one sent away....it really may be more of like they said "one looks like they need to eat more than the other"....while Tori was fine with Rocksroy going and not being a part of their group and was maybe able to have some influence in that 30 second huddle....I don't think there is really much of a message.....

eta: changed tribe to group....as I'm not sure they are really one tribe just yet...and/or the merge isn't quite official yet....or is it..?
I’m not sure what we’re debating here. You think it is or could be an actual decision, in some circumstance, for the exiled player? A decision not to make the ‘other 6’ who s/he is now part of, immune?

That being said....I'm guessing everyone in that group spent half that evening running back and forth to the latrine. 
Serious question. Do they provide contestants “latrines”? I always figured they were using the jungles and going all natural but after seeing your posts and thinking about that many people out there for that many days, there must be some type of outhouses. Right? 

Serious question. Do they provide contestants “latrines”? I always figured they were using the jungles and going all natural but after seeing your posts and thinking about that many people out there for that many days, there must be some type of outhouses. Right? 
In Australian Survivor, yes. In US Survivor, no. Aquadumps or dig a hole in the woods.

Chanele will go down as one of the worst players ever.. She had what 3 idols?, plus a steal an idol and doesn't play any of them?? 

oof :lol:  

I was loving Omar's game and ready to post that he was the favorite, until I saw he voted for Romeo.  Doesn't seem a planned split vote considering the numbers were so overwhelmingly in favor of Chanelle?

Anyway, until then would have pegged him and Drea as favorites right now.  They still are the ones I'd hope to win.  Runners-up would be Mike and Jonathan just since they're likable and, in the case of J, beasts.  I also kinda like Lindsey's quiet power.

Uh, no, that's Drea.

Chanelle is the one who stupidly risked her vote at Shipwheel Island and blew up her game, Daniel's and Jenny's, and then made an enemy of Mike by voting for him at the Daniel boot. 
:lol:

I thought that was the case, but pay very little attention to this while watching...

I was loving Omar's game and ready to post that he was the favorite, until I saw he voted for Romeo.  Doesn't seem a planned split vote considering the numbers were so overwhelmingly in favor of Chanelle?

Anyway, until then would have pegged him and Drea as favorites right now.  They still are the ones I'd hope to win.  Runners-up would be Mike and Jonathan just since they're likable and, in the case of J, beasts.  I also kinda like Lindsey's quiet power.
It was a planned split vote. Romeo was the secondary target and freaked out when Tori told him that he was. Which made Hai want to change Romeo to the primary target, but Mike put the kibosh on that.

Pip's Invitation said:
It was a planned split vote. Romeo was the secondary target and freaked out when Tori told him that he was. Which made Hai want to change Romeo to the primary target, but Mike put the kibosh on that.
i understood that it was an attempt to switch and mike and rox said no way.  omar may have been on the outs on that vote.  who was the other romeo vote?

i understood that it was an attempt to switch and mike and rox said no way.  omar may have been on the outs on that vote.  who was the other romeo vote?
Omar, Chanelle and Maryanne all voted Romeo. Romeo voted “Hye”. 

There’s no evidence Omar was on the outs. He was shown strategizing with the majority AND aligning with people not in the majority (or making them think he was with them.)

Pip's Invitation said:
Uh, no, that's Drea.

Chanelle is the one who stupidly risked her vote at Shipwheel Island and blew up her game, Daniel's and Jenny's, and then made an enemy of Mike by voting for him at the Daniel boot. 
Wait.. So Chanelle wasn't the one with all the idol's?? 

Dang, guess I shouldn't try to pay attention while on pain meds recovering from shoulder surgery :doh:  

Wait.. So Chanelle wasn't the one with all the idol's?? 

Dang, guess I shouldn't try to pay attention while on pain meds recovering from shoulder surgery :doh:  
Lol, just don't go to work like that. A ex-coworker lost his job a couple of weeks ago after his return from shoulder surgery.  

El Floppo said:
:lol:

I thought that was the case, but pay very little attention to this while watching...
I do this too and end up having to watch an episode again.  But Honestly i just mixed them up :shrug:  

Omar, Chanelle and Maryanne all voted Romeo. Romeo voted “Hye”. 

There’s no evidence Omar was on the outs. He was shown strategizing with the majority AND aligning with people not in the majority (or making them think he was with them.)
As others mentioned, it was a planned split, but Hai wanted it to go on Romeo.  The other members shot it down and kept it on Channelle, but I think everyone in the big group knew that going in.  I think may have Omar strategically voted for Romeo so he can keep up with the "I'm not in the loop" story he's been using to mine information from people on the outs.

I think Omar may have strategically voted for Romeo so he can keep up with the "I'm not in the loop" story he's been using to mine information from people on the outs.
I think it's very likely that this is the case. No one on the outs is going to believe that he's with them if he just votes with the majority the whole time. This is what tanked Albert's game in S23 and made him a zero-vote finalist. 

I think overall this is one of the higher level average gameplay seasons I've seen. 

1. We have pretty much (sometimes narrowly) avoided the idiotic "strong must go" movement

2. Drea doesn't open her mouth about every advantage to everyone

3. Some great poker face/playing like a fiddle (Hai vs Daniel for example)

4. While there is a majority, the majority is all the people who know what they're doing and they have opinions, not just two leaders with 5 sheep.

I'm hoping for, and see a lot of potential, for some great moves and entertaining finish:

1. When do Drea/Lindsay/Hai try to cut one another for amulet powers?

2. Can Drea use the knowledge to cut Maryanne when Maryanne thinks she's safe?

3. Once Drea starts unloading, can she keep threat level low enough not to immediately go?

4. Can we have a pretty high level challenge playing at the end with something like Hai, Jonathan, Drea, Lindsay?

5. What happens when Tori doesn't have immunity?

6. Omar's befriend everyone strategy - gonna work or no?

7. Should be a super bitter Chanelle jury moment at some point

Thank god they put Maryanne in the background a bit. Every time she opens her mouth I want to punch an editor for my pain.

I think overall this is one of the higher level average gameplay seasons I've seen. 

1. We have pretty much (sometimes narrowly) avoided the idiotic "strong must go" movement

2. Drea doesn't open her mouth about every advantage to everyone

3. Some great poker face/playing like a fiddle (Hai vs Daniel for example)

4. While there is a majority, the majority is all the people who know what they're doing and they have opinions, not just two leaders with 5 sheep.

I'm hoping for, and see a lot of potential, for some great moves and entertaining finish:

1. When do Drea/Lindsay/Hai try to cut one another for amulet powers?

2. Can Drea use the knowledge to cut Maryanne when Maryanne thinks she's safe?

3. Once Drea starts unloading, can she keep threat level low enough not to immediately go?

4. Can we have a pretty high level challenge playing at the end with something like Hai, Jonathan, Drea, Lindsay?

5. What happens when Tori doesn't have immunity?

6. Omar's befriend everyone strategy - gonna work or no?

7. Should be a super bitter Chanelle jury moment at some point

Thank god they put Maryanne in the background a bit. Every time she opens her mouth I want to punch an editor for my pain.
This is an excellent summary and sums up my feelings pretty well also. IMO this is the best newbie season since David vs. Goliath.

Yeah, I think when they cast her they assumed she’d be a lovable fan favorite.  But quickly realized she’s just annoying and grates on peoples nerves.  I can’t imagine all the cringe worthy nonsense of her left in the editing cutting floor.

And I love when she always goes back to “reminds me of when I was a kid and people treated me different and didn’t include me, whine, whine, whine”.  Ummm, you’re still a kid and YES you’re annoying.   She’s like “being emotional can be an asset” as she’s begging for rice.  The one dude probably just volunteered to sit out so she’d shut up already. 

Users who are viewing this thread