What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 44 starts on page 5 (1 Viewer)

Loved it too. Granted, bar is usually low for me and now I watch with my 10 and 12 year olds. I love watching them learn about group dynamics, competition, missteps, social skills, etc.

I learn a lot about myself too, even at 50. I started the season looking side-eyed at Carolyn. Grew to love her and in the end, I hoped she would win.

I'm surprised Yam Yam won. I thought Heidi's baller move deserved more love.

So Carson replicated just about every challenge, including 3D printing past puzzles at home to practice with. But he struggled with fire? Then again, Heidi broke a record so even if he was skilled at fire, she probably would have won.

Not many people to root against in this one. Was nice.
agreed. I really grew to like her by the end. Yam Yam too. Once Harry Potter left at that point for me it didnt really matter who won. Im happy for Yam Yam though.

I enjoyed the season but was very blah about the winner. One season someone who did everything else lost because they didn’t make fire and this season a great finish by Heidi was meaningless. Yam Yam was a nice guy but he rode Carson all season. Even when he disagreed, Carson still got his way. I thought Carolyn did more.

Ok season. I was fine with Yam Yam winning. He really did play an excellent social game.

-Couldn't stand Carolyn. Congrats on being weird, I guess.

-Was rooting for Carson, but after he broke down like a toddler who dropped their toy because he couldn't make fire for 5 minutes.....oof.

-Good for Heidi recognizing that she needed to add to the resume (and making fire the fastest ever. Very impressive). Pretty sure I didn't even know her name 3 weeks ago. But if you bring in outside the game stuff for sympathy points at final TC....instant DQ in my eyes. Being "a latina woman in the sciences" has absolutely ZERO to do with the events of the past 28 days. I'm sorry...having a good job doesn't make you a victim. And even if it did, being a victim doesn't mean you should win the game.

Agreed that I hope this doesn't inspire the show to add more and more weirdos. (And I'm referring mostly to Caroline here. Yam yam is obviously a very unique guy, but Caroline was a cartoon character) You need "interesting" people(which can come in a million different forms) .....not a cast full of clowns

Heidi would have been one of the
Ok season. I was fine with Yam Yam winning. He really did play an excellent social game.

-Couldn't stand Carolyn. Congrats on being weird, I guess.

-Was rooting for Carson, but after he broke down like a toddler who dropped their toy because he couldn't make fire for 5 minutes.....oof.

-Good for Heidi recognizing that she needed to add to the resume (and making fire the fastest ever. Very impressive). Pretty sure I didn't even know her name 3 weeks ago. But if you bring in outside the game stuff for sympathy points at final TC....instant DQ in my eyes. Being "a latina woman in the sciences" has absolutely ZERO to do with the events of the past 28 days. I'm sorry...having a good job doesn't make you a victim. And even if it did, being a victim doesn't mean you should win the game.

Agreed that I hope this doesn't inspire the show to add more and more weirdos. (And I'm referring mostly to Caroline here. Yam yam is obviously a very unique guy, but Caroline was a cartoon character) You need "interesting" people(which can come in a million different forms) .....not a cast full of clowns
Agree with most of this, but Carolyn grew on me - thought she deserved a vote or two at the end. Jam Jam was clearly the most deserving of the three at the end of jury questioning.

Heidi would have been an awful winner. She was basically a goat who was dragged along to the end by the Tika 3 who happened to be really good at making fire. Good on her to put herself in fire making and winning it, but it doesn't override the rest of the season with just meekly following along with whatever the Tika 3 wanted to do.

If she wanted to win, she needed to rally the three non-Tika when there were 6 left to force a 3-3 tie, play her idol, and force the other two Tika to either vote the third Tika or draw rocks. Instead she did whatever Carson told her to do and then completely wasted her idol the next week. When she still voted Lauren and didn't even give Carolyn a chance to turn on Jam Jam.

I think that Heidi should have received a few votes. Yam Yam was good but not the nearly unanimous winner that the vote reflected.

I think that Heidi should have received a few votes. Yam Yam was good but not the nearly unanimous winner that the vote reflected.
Any other season I'd say an invisible contestant should not merit votes on that alone, but in a mediocre final three (JMHO) it could/should to some jury members.

Survivor has rarely been about the best player winning. The actual good, strong players get voted out by the weaker players. Just the way the game is set up.

Jammer was smooth catered his answers to what the jury wanted to hear. Heidi sounded way too desperate to convince the jury and Carolyn is basically a hot mess. Although I do think Carolyn should have had a few votes.

On another note was tiresome to hear basically only Carson asking the questions and making all the comments while nodding his head. Jeff should have stepped in and sai "Ok Carson, let the other jury members get involved." It was the Carson show on the jury Q&A.

Pretty meh season for me, indicative of my never learning quite a few of their names. Jam jam (j on purpose) did less than Carolyn. But won the social game.

ETA: I speak a bit of Spanish. It makes no sense.

I figured you might speak some Spanish (Mr krista picked his up first in restaurants). All Spanish is not created equal, and for many dialects it absolutely makes sense, especially in certain Caribbean dialects. He is from Puerto Rico, I think? To me it seems silly (or worse) purposefully not to pronounce/spell someone's name the way they, based upon their ethnicity, pronounce/spell it. YMMV, I guess.

ETA: Further to the point, my Nicaraguan friends pronounce "J" as what in English would be "H", and "Y" as a soft "J". I think it might be the same in Puerto Rico, but don't know that dialect.

ETA: Further to the point, my Nicaraguan friends pronounce "J" as what in English would be "H", and "Y" as a soft "J". I think it might be the same in Puerto Rico, but don't know that dialect.
My vet is Puerto Rican, and her daughter works with her, and her daughter's name is written as Yana, and they pronounce it Jana.

I worked with a guy in Florida who is from Cuba, and his name is Jorge. Some people called him George, but most of us called him how his name is pronounced, which is Horhay.

ETA: I speak a bit of Spanish. It makes no sense.

I figured you might speak some Spanish (Mr krista picked his up first in restaurants). All Spanish is not created equal, and for many dialects it absolutely makes sense, especially in certain Caribbean dialects. He is from Puerto Rico, I think? To me it seems silly (or worse) purposefully not to pronounce/spell someone's name the way they, based upon their ethnicity, pronounce/spell it. YMMV, I guess.

You’re correct. A million years in restaurants, some study and a lot of travel to Spanish speaking countries. I've been to Puerto Rico a few times and my sister has lived in the usvi for 35 years, Right next door. Been around a lot of “native” Puerto Ricans.

you're also correct that dialects differ. in Argentina Calle is cah jay instead of Ky yay. At best yam would be schaaam. There is no hard j sound in Spanish. And you’re correct, the Nicaraguan pronunciations are fairly standard. Jota is j in the alphabet. It is pronounced hota

now I’m going to yell at clouds and tell everyone driving by to slow down! Especially anyone that pronounces or spells their differently than I think they should.

There is no hard j sound in Spanish.
I don't think comparing how many Puerto Ricans we know or how many times we've been there or to other Spanish-speaking countries is going to help you. :lol: Regardless, based on all of the above, there's no way to put a "J" in place of "Y" in the written name and say that's right. As I mentioned, a "soft" J sound is what you get, which is more of a "zh" or as you suggested a "sch". I get that you don't like him, and you're obviously not alone in that!

Now *I'm* going to go watch birds. :lol:

I don't think comparing how many Puerto Ricans we know or how many times we've been there or to other Spanish-speaking countries is going to help you. :lol: Regardless, based on all of the above, there's no way to put a "J" in place of "Y" in the written name and say that's right. As I mentioned, a "soft" J sound is what you get, which is more of a "zh" or as you suggested a "sch". I get that you don't like him, and you're obviously not alone in that!

😂 it wasn’t a comparison. 😂. I have no leg to stand on there. Just a sad attempt at establishing credibility.

eta: and I never said I didn’t like him. he seems quite affable

The season was meh'. Carolyn grew on me towards the end. I can't say I really didn't like anyone that was left and therein lies the problem. This seemed like a "everyone gets a participation ribbon" kind of season. This was easily the weakest jury questioning in the history of Survivor. I mean this is the show that you looked forward to that one or two bitter jury members really tearing into the remaining players and this year we got "Oh you are all so good and special." It was so disappointing. It was like Survivor--lite. Easily one of the more boring, anti-climactic final episodes, which sucks because some of the challenges were pretty cool and well designed.

The great majority of Germanic languages, such as German, Dutch, Icelandic, Swedish, Danish and Norwegian, use ⟨j⟩ for the palatal approximant /j/, which is usually represented by the letter ⟨y⟩ in English.

German immigration to Puerto Rico began in the early part of the 19th century and continued to increase when German businessmen immigrated and established themselves with their families on the island.

Survivor has rarely been about the best player winning. The actual good, strong players get voted out by the weaker players. Just the way the game is set up.

Jammer was smooth catered his answers to what the jury wanted to hear. Heidi sounded way too desperate to convince the jury and Carolyn is basically a hot mess. Although I do think Carolyn should have had a few votes.

On another note was tiresome to hear basically only Carson asking the questions and making all the comments while nodding his head. Jeff should have stepped in and sai "Ok Carson, let the other jury members get involved." It was the Carson show on the jury Q&A.
The Final Tribal Council is much longer than what is shown. It was the Carson show on TV because the editors wanted it to be.

I suspect, however, that if he went to bat for Yam Yam, others followed his lead. It may not have been clear to the others who from the Tika 3 did what. If Carson said Yam Yam was more integral to their strategy than Carolyn was, or that he liked Yam Yam better, that may have counted for a lot.

Although I do think Carolyn should have had a few votes.
I would have a hard time casting a million dollar for someone I cared about with a past addiction problem. I would be worried they would relapse.
I wouldn't hesitate to give her a vote. She has been sober for 13 years, and she is a drug counselor. Her ties to the drug world are a positive thing for her now, and for others that she tries to help. I don't think winning a large sum of money would relapse her into using again. If you are going to judge her, judge her for her present not her past.

Carolyn was called a weirdo/clown earlier in the thread. I saw an offbeat eccentric nice person who was consistently herself, and played a pretty good game. Maybe eccentricity runs in her family. Maybe they are the Wiger Weirdos. Did you know her dad dropped out of high school and joined the circus? He joined the circus for a year, and then went back to school and got his diploma. He then went to law school and became an attorney, and then was a state senator in MN for over 25 years. I don't know what he did in the circus. Maybe he was a 🤡.

Although I do think Carolyn should have had a few votes.
I would have a hard time casting a million dollar for someone I cared about with a past addiction problem. I would be worried they would relapse.
I wouldn't hesitate to give her a vote. She has been sober for 13 years, and she is a drug counselor. Her ties to the drug world are a positive thing for her now, and for others that she tries to help. I don't think winning a large sum of money would relapse her into using again. If you are going to judge her, judge her for her present not her past.

Carolyn was called a weirdo/clown earlier in the thread. I saw an offbeat eccentric nice person who was consistently herself, and played a pretty good game. Maybe eccentricity runs in her family. Maybe they are the Wiger Weirdos. Did you know her dad dropped out of high school and joined the circus? He joined the circus for a year, and then went back to school and got his diploma. He then went to law school and became an attorney, and then was a state senator in MN for over 25 years. I don't know what he did in the circus. Maybe he was a 🤡.

I might be one who called her a weirdo at the beginning, but I did a 180 in my opinion of her. Didn't know all of that background - very cool!

Thought it was a great season

I’m with you, but we seem to be the minority.
No I agree as well. I had Yam Yam listed as the person I least wanted to win a few episodes back, but he did a tremendous job in the Tribal Council and really laid out his game plan. Heidi I thought did okay as well, but you could tell she was just going off a script (Thank you for the question). Yam Yam was himself but convinced people his social game carried him through. He did seem really confident in his fire making abilities as well. Carolyn went all in on the emotional angle, and I thought she had Carson's vote as he was actively coaching her during a response to someone else's question. I really thought it may be a very close vote.

I think the producers did a nice job of keeping me off balance on who was going home, or at least creating some drama around it. I don't want full casts of crazy personalities, but I thought this was a good mix. Would have preferred a Frannie or Carson victory, but in the end I think Yam Yam was deserving. Good season for me.

I suspect, however, that if he went to bat for Yam Yam, others followed his lead. It may not have been clear to the others who from the Tika 3 did what. If Carson said Yam Yam was more integral to their strategy than Carolyn was, or that he liked Yam Yam better, that may have counted for a lot.
Yam Yam teaching Carson his tricks on how to make fire could’ve been the winning move of the season.

I don’t think this was the case, but diabolical risk calculated move knowing odds are Carson would be picked for fire and odds good then he goes to the jury to promote what Yam Yam did to sway votes.

correct I think he told other jury members about the fire help from Yammer....but I dont think it was talked about?

I thought it was a pretty good season. I liked the different casting choices, and liked most of the cast, but thought it got a little boring towards the end. I was surprised Carolyn didn't get some votes, having made the one big move late-ish in the game. All the emotionality wore on me and I'm sure wore on them and it showed in the vote.

Would be cool to see some of these other players get another shot like Matthew (not Matt) and Frannie who was like a giggly little dork schoolgirl - and I love the Matt romance story though Matt is not an interesting player - and she then turned out to be a solid player and challenge beast. I could do without more Carson or Carolyn but I'm sure they'll be back, Carson is the new Cochran.

Last edited:
do people think Yam Yam was his given name?

are we mad that Coach went by Coach? who the hell cares how Yam Yam is pronounced.

I liked the season, but I can see how some felt meh or even bored with it.

My theory: the producers saw the success of “positive” shows like Ted Lasso and went out of their way filling the cast with “nice” people with decent stories. There was no villain on the show this year. That also led to a less confrontational final tribal council.

They also hopefully learned that they need to mix in some new challenges/puzzles next season with the multiple people talking about building their own at home to practice.

I liked the season, but I can see how some felt meh or even bored with it.

My theory: the producers saw the success of “positive” shows like Ted Lasso and went out of their way filling the cast with “nice” people with decent stories. There was no villain on the show this year. That also led to a less confrontational final tribal council.

They also hopefully learned that they need to mix in some new challenges/puzzles next season with the multiple people talking about building their own at home to practice.
They’ve not cast for villains since the unwanted-touching fiasco in S39. Plus, thanks to social media, anyone portrayed even mildly villainous gets harassed by viewers who don’t understand boundaries, so people aren’t really interested in acting that way on TV anymore.

My strategy when searching for hidden idols if I ever go on this show: keep watching the camera operators to see if they stop filming me and keep filming certain trees that I just walked past.
Quite a few contestants have said this helped them. It’s how Russell found so many idols in S19 and S20.

The strife/drama of each person practicing fire is so dragged out and almost as bad as the remembrance walk the final contestants had to do talking about each of the voted off people in the early seasons.

Just finally got around to watching the final 3 episodes today. I thought it was a decent season and a decent cast. I almost started thinking Carolyn was going to win. I do miss having villains though.

Users who are viewing this thread