What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

T. Henry has earned the opportunity to be traded (1 Viewer)

azcards33

Footballguy
The right to move on

Bills RB Henry has earned opportunity to be traded

Posted: Tuesday March 29, 2005 11:33AM; Updated: Tuesday March 29, 2005 2:10PM

The situation involving Travis Henry and the Buffalo Bills finally has reached its boiling point. He's griping about the team not accommodating his wish to be traded. His agent claims this matter could get ugly if it doesn't get resolved soon. Meanwhile, the Bills say they want the best possible deal for their disgruntled running back. Personally, I'm surprised it's taken this long for Henry to fire away publicly.

For those who haven't been following this matter, Henry was the Bills starting running back for three years until he lost his job to Willis McGahee midway through last season. When the 2004 campaign ended, the Bills granted Henry permission to seek a trade. Henry has recently told the Buffalo News and the Associated Press that he has an equitable proposal on the table: a swap that would send him to Arizona for disgruntled left tackle L.J. Shelton. The only problem? Henry claims the Bills are dragging their feet on the deal and he's tired of waiting.

I can understand Henry's frustration. He watched the Bills use a first-round draft pick on McGahee in 2003, right after Henry ran for a career-high 1,438 yards that year. Henry then gained 1,356 yards the next season while fully aware that McGahee would be coming after his job soon. I'll admit that Henry had a fair chance to hold on to his spot last season -- he started five of the first six games before injuries and McGahee's presence limited him to a career-low 326 yards -- but let's be serious. The Bills had taken a considerable gamble by drafting McGahee, who was coming off a major knee injury. They were determined to get him in the lineup eventually.

But this is where Henry deserves credit. He didn't gripe. He didn't morph into a locker room cancer. He didn't do anything to make the situation worse for himself. He kept his mouth shut, worked his butt off and tried to make the most of what had to be a difficult situation. His willingness to play the good soldier is one reason for the Bills to accept what appears to be a sensible swap.

This current proposal, without knowing all the specifics, sounds equitable. The Cardinals need a running back since Emmitt Smith has retired and Marcel Shipp is recovering from a broken left leg. The Bills need a left tackle, because last year's starter, Jonas Jennings, signed a free agent deal with San Francisco. The problem, however, is that the Bills apparently don't consider this a fair trade. They think they can do better and I'm assuming that's because Henry is a more accomplished player at his position than the 29-year-old Shelton is at his. Here's the reality: The Bills probably won't see a better offer. The market for running backs is too soft.

If a franchise is looking for a gifted, proven runner, they could make a deal for Indianapolis Pro Bowler Edgerrin James or Seattle's Shaun Alexander, the NFL's second-leading rusher last season. If teams don't want to pay big money for them, they could pick up Denver's Reuben Droughns or Cleveland's William Green, two other players who've been given permission by their respective teams to seek trades. A player such as Henry falls somewhere between that first and second group of runners. He's been productive but he's also been banged up (he missed the last five games of this season with torn ligaments in his right ankle and played the last six and a half games of 2003 with a cracked right fibula). He also doesn't have the luxury of a surplus of suitors. Miami and Tampa Bay are the only other teams who covet a running back and, like Arizona, they could easily find one in a draft that includes stud backs such as Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams and Cedric Benson.

So the question Henry wants the Bills to consider is this: Why would any team be willing to give Buffalo a better deal than what Arizona has on the table? Anybody who has followed the Bills' knows that Henry can't be on that team next season. He's heading into the final year of his contract so the team has to move him eventually if it wants something in return. Henry also has publicly stated that he won't attend any mini-camps or training camp practices if the Bills can't get something done this offseason. That comment ruins any leverage the Bills thought they had in making a favorable swap.

At this point, my suspicion is that a deal will be done as the draft nears, solely because that's how these things play out sometimes. But I can understand if Henry is frustrated. He's played the loyal company man long enough. He accepted that McGahee was a better fit for the team and he wants to move on with his life, as quickly as possible. Given how professionally he's conducted himself with the Bills over the last four years, it would be a shame if he didn't get that wish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Henry(and/or his agent) should be contacting other teams. There's gotta be sme reason why the Bills aren't chomping at the bit for Shelton. Is he overweight? attitude prob? hates cold weather?Everything comes across as the Bills would not mind having Henry as a backup this year. If he wants to walk, he's gotta find a team. Last summer, the Bills could have gotten alot for Henry. Now everyone knows McGahee is "the man" and it's completely different. Miami has no RB and supposedly Saban wants more picks(in the least, the 2nd rounder they don't have) He's got next to no attachments to any players there. Any Fins that the Bills would like to have?I would think that Henry(and other RBs) is viewed by other teams in comparison to the RBs they can draft "for free". If they miss out on some RB they covet, they'll want him. If not, why give something up for nothing.I would think the Jets and Pittsburgh(not sold on Duce) would be interested if he were cheap enough since their backs are old. The Titans cut a million players and their RB was banged up all year. They surely could have traded one of those to the Bills instead of cutting them. Romeo just traded for a back and gave up a workman-like DL that would have fit in just fine in Buffalo. The Giants have given Dayne 8000 chances and would love to have someone to offset Tiki's quickness with some hard nosed running.BB has never been one to shy away from a good value.There's work for a proven RB, he's just gotta get out there and market himself. If I were the Bills GM I wouldn't push it either. They have a good (relatively) cheap proven backup.

Thanks for the update az. Just my :2cents: but on draft day the pretenders will be seperated from the contenders when it comes to RB's. There are lkely several teams interested in Henry/Alexander/James. The fact is that with at least 3 guys draftable early, there are less expensive options for teams. Not all of them will have their needs met in the first round. Additonally, when team resolve who they like and want in the draft and weigh that against their draft position then you'll see if anyone really wants to pay the price for these guys.2 factors for teams: 1. Draft picks. Many teams do not want to give up picks. This is a deep draft and value will be detemined by a team's percieved value before any trigger is pulled.3. Cap cost. It will cost teams more cap space to acquire James/Alexander than drafting a rookie.So does a team spend draft picks or cap money to resolve their problem at RB? I can't tell you who woll do what but I suspect there will be at least 2 trades on draft day that involve RB's as teams strategize their way through the draft.

It's a matter of supply and demand. It's a buyers market. Henry couldn't have picked a worse time to get traded. Other teams see many backs that can suit their needs and I would venture to guess they consider most of them interchangable.

Anybody who has followed the Bills' knows that Henry can't be on that team next season.
I follow the Bills and I don't know this at all.Having a backup RB as capable as Henry is a nice luxury to have. Granted, I would like Buffalo to get something in trade for him, but I would rather have him come back for one year as a backup than to just give him away.

I suspect Henry will not be on the Bills roster in 2005, but that Donahoe is hoping that he will get a better deal if he waits until the draft is closer (or underway) before swinging a trade.

Anybody who has followed the Bills' knows that Henry can't be on that team next season.
I follow the Bills and I don't know this at all.Having a backup RB as capable as Henry is a nice luxury to have. Granted, I would like Buffalo to get something in trade for him, but I would rather have him come back for one year as a backup than to just give him away.

I suspect Henry will not be on the Bills roster in 2005, but that Donahoe is hoping that he will get a better deal if he waits until the draft is closer (or underway) before swinging a trade.
I believe Henry has "made it clear" that he will not return to Buffalo.Colin

Wanna know the worst part about the shabby way the Bills have been/are still treatin Henry?Travis Henry grew up worshipping the Buffalo Bills and RB Thurman Thomas.Imagine the joy of all joys of making it to the NFL and playing the same position as your childhood hero on your favourite team?Then imagine them treating you like this after you left everything on the field, played hurt, was a consummate teammate...etc...That's GOT to sting...As an owner of Travis Henry in a dynasty league AND as someone who watched him play every week...I hope he gets his wish.

I believe Henry has "made it clear" that he will not return to Buffalo.

Colin
Yeah, but he's also under contract. I'm guessing if push came to shove he would go ahead and play this year rather than go unpaid in 2005 and dinging his chances for landing a better job in 2006.

I thought that a sticking point was also that Henry wanted a new contract from the Cards while Arizona wanted to him to play out this year's contract. If this is the case, Henry can't place all the criticism on the Bills for a deal not getting done.

I think the Cards are out shopping and not holding their breath for Buffalo.Henry probably end up a back-up this year.

I thought that a sticking point was also that Henry wanted a new contract from the Cards while Arizona wanted to him to play out this year's contract. If this is the case, Henry can't place all the criticism on the Bills for a deal not getting done.
yeah, i think the problem with henry is that he wants starter money...

Colin
Yeah, but he's also under contract. I'm guessing if push came to shove he would go ahead and play this year rather than go unpaid in 2005 and dinging his chances for landing a better job in 2006.
If he is not traded, he plans to sit out the season.LINK

According to Henry, he has packed up and left.

Colin

Travis Henry isn't the first guy who's threatened to sit out the season if his demands aren't met. Get back to me in September.

I love how fantasy football has changed us. Because some moron here has Henry on their dynasty team, the Bills are jerks for not giving him away?!? Get a clue folks. The Bills will do what's best for the Bills, regardless of what others think. You should hope your favorite team does as well. :football:

I love how fantasy football has changed us. Because some moron here has Henry on their dynasty team, the Bills are jerks for not giving him away?!? Get a clue folks. The Bills will do what's best for the Bills, regardless of what others think. You should hope your favorite team does as well. :football:
Only some of this criticism is fantasy-related.Remember when the Bills drafted McGahee and everybody immediately pounced on Donahoe, essentially arguing that he was a moron who got suckered into overpaying for damaged goods by an agent talking on a cellphone? Well, it turns out that Donahoe was right and the critics were wrong. So now the storyline centers around the plight of Travis Henry, a pretty good player who lost his starting job to somebody better, as if that event were somehow unprecedented in league history.

Only some of this criticism is fantasy-related.Remember when the Bills drafted McGahee and everybody immediately pounced on Donahoe, essentially arguing that he was a moron who got suckered into overpaying for damaged goods by an agent talking on a cellphone? Well, it turns out that Donahoe was right and the critics were wrong. So now the storyline centers around the plight of Travis Henry, a pretty good player who lost his starting job to somebody better, as if that event were somehow unprecedented in league history.
Time to circle the wagons against the jealous and ill-informed. :gang:

I'd like to see what proof there is that Henry did not gripe about losing his starting job. Just because it wasn't in the press, doesn't mean he wasn't a cancer in the locker room.Also, if you can get Henry without resoing his contract, then he has to be one of the most valuable commodities in the league, since he is a proven starter at RB and he makes almost no money. If a team loses a RB in training camp, I think the Bills could get a 2006 1st round pick for Henry.

Colin

Travis Henry isn't the first guy who's threatened to sit out the season if his demands aren't met. Get back to me in September.
Exactly. Even if he sits out, he won't all of a sudden be a free agent. I believe he'll still owe 1 year to Buffalo. He's got no leverage.

So now Henry is entitled to a starting job in the NFL.For what? Whinning and moaning.Any NFL caliber RB could of put up decent stats getting as many carries as he did.The funniest thing was when some Henry owner tried to say that it was better for the NFL as a whole to have Henry as a starting RB in the NFL.Reality check: Henry starting has no affect on success of the league known as the NFL. He is NOT a LT, Alexander, McGahee, etc type RB. He needs to show he has grown up by not moaning every opportunity he gets and maybe some team will give him a shot.He started his moaning the day McGahee got drafted, this isn't an isolated incident with him. That should of motivated him to play his best football, instead he decided it was better to complain and his game suffered. Most coaches do not want to bring in an attitude like that unless it is accompanied by an elite talent, which he is not.

What do you people just decide to show up in the off-season and decide to act ill-informed? The Bills have treated Henry like crap and I don't see why he would want to come back and backup McGahee if he could be given a shot elsewhere and it's obvious he is very upset with how the Bills have treated him this offseason. In all of McGahee's elite studliness he has a 3.6 YPC. SOLID! Now I have both on various teams but this comparison of McGahee to other stud backs is premature. I don't think anybody is treating Henry as a godsend here. As an owner yes I would like to see him get a chance but the reality is he probably will be stuck into competing for a starting job even if he does get traded. To say the guy has an attitude problem is ignoring how Henry has handled the situation up until now. It sounds like you want to condemn him to Randy Moss status just because he wants a shot.

To say the guy has an attitude problem is ignoring how Henry has handled the situation up until now. It sounds like you want to condemn him to Randy Moss status just because he wants a shot.
He is way worse than Moss as far as maturity. He picks up 15 yr old girls for one, something that is worse than spraying a water bottle at a ref.This isn't the first time he has cried, you don't remember his reaction when McGahee got drafted? Someone with a sound mind and good attitude would of sucked it up and dealt with the situation like a man.He is a 15 yr old mind stuck in a man's body. He also has a huge confidence problem or he wouldn't have worried about McGahee, he would of just went about his business and played football like most winners do.If he could break a run over 20 yards every now and then he might be worthy of a starting job, but when the defense doesn't have to respect you it makes it harder on the rest of the offense. McGahee finally brought a little fear to the opposing teams defense, which allowed other facets of the O to excel.Coincidence Buffalo improved mightily once McGahee took over, I think not. Having the opposing defense fear the big run loosens the D up.

What do you people just decide to show up in the off-season and decide to act ill-informed? The Bills have treated Henry like crap and I don't see why he would want to come back and backup McGahee if he could be given a shot elsewhere and it's obvious he is very upset with how the Bills have treated him this offseason. In all of McGahee's elite studliness he has a 3.6 YPC. SOLID! Now I have both on various teams but this comparison of McGahee to other stud backs is premature. I don't think anybody is treating Henry as a godsend here. As an owner yes I would like to see him get a chance but the reality is he probably will be stuck into competing for a starting job even if he does get traded. To say the guy has an attitude problem is ignoring how Henry has handled the situation up until now. It sounds like you want to condemn him to Randy Moss status just because he wants a shot.
:cry: Cry me a river buddy. You must be a fan of one of those sucky teams that hasn't won anything in the last 20 years because their GM is "nice" to the players and does what the fans think he should do. :rolleyes:

To say the guy has an attitude problem is ignoring how Henry has handled the situation up until now. It sounds like you want to condemn him to Randy Moss status just because he wants a shot.
He is way worse than Moss as far as maturity. He picks up 15 yr old girls for one, something that is worse than spraying a water bottle at a ref.This isn't the first time he has cried, you don't remember his reaction when McGahee got drafted? Someone with a sound mind and good attitude would of sucked it up and dealt with the situation like a man.

He is a 15 yr old mind stuck in a man's body. He also has a huge confidence problem or he wouldn't have worried about McGahee, he would of just went about his business and played football like most winners do.

If he could break a run over 20 yards every now and then he might be worthy of a starting job, but when the defense doesn't have to respect you it makes it harder on the rest of the offense. McGahee finally brought a little fear to the opposing teams defense, which allowed other facets of the O to excel.

Coincidence Buffalo improved mightily once McGahee took over, I think not. Having the opposing defense fear the big run loosens the D up.
I sure hope that this post is :fishing: If not, I feel sorry for your outlook on life and the people around you.Colin

He is way worse than Moss as far as maturity. He picks up 15 yr old girls for one, something that is worse than spraying a water bottle at a ref.This isn't the first time he has cried, you don't remember his reaction when McGahee got drafted? Someone with a sound mind and good attitude would of sucked it up and dealt with the situation like a man.

He is a 15 yr old mind stuck in a man's body. He also has a huge confidence problem or he wouldn't have worried about McGahee, he would of just went about his business and played football like most winners do.

If he could break a run over 20 yards every now and then he might be worthy of a starting job, but when the defense doesn't have to respect you it makes it harder on the rest of the offense. McGahee finally brought a little fear to the opposing teams defense, which allowed other facets of the O to excel.

Coincidence Buffalo improved mightily once McGahee took over, I think not. Having the opposing defense fear the big run loosens the D up.
I sure hope that this post is :fishing: If not, I feel sorry for your outlook on life and the people around you.Colin
Maybe, but hte guy has some valid, factual points, that should not be ignored. And these points probably are not being ignored by NFL GM's. The 1st thing I thought when I saw this thread was. You've got to be kidding me. The NFL guarantees nothing to no one. I love the sport, but the NFL treats it's players like pieces of meat and we all know it. Therefore, I say no, Henry has not earned anything anymore (there ahve been better players with worse situations/contracts and worse players with better, that's life) than others that came before him and will come after him have earned. They know the game, and if they don't, they had better hire an agent who does.

How does that post have anything to do with my outlook on life?Please point out anything in that post that isn't true. Do you understand what fishing is?I feel sorry for you if you feel that sleeping with a 15 yr old is better than spraying a ref with water.

I feel sorry for you if you feel that sleeping with a 15 yr old is better than spraying a ref with water.
Yeah, but officer, just look at her. Does she look 15 to you? Look how she is dressed, and she told me she was 18. :bag:

The Bills have treated Henry like crap
Explain to me how Henry has been treated like crap. He's a pretty good RB, but the Bills found somebody better. They're trying to trade him, but they expect him to honor his contract if they can't get a deal to their liking.Do you think Travis Henry is the first guy in NFL history to lose his starting job to a better player?

I feel sorry for you if you feel that sleeping with a 15 yr old is better than spraying a ref with water.
Yeah, but officer, just look at her. Does she look 15 to you? Look how she is dressed, and she told me she was 18. :bag:
:rotflmao: That was actually exactly what he said.

:rotflmao: That was actually exactly what he said.
If that is true, I guess I better not ever use that myself. :shock:

I sure hope that this post is :fishing:   If not, I feel sorry for your outlook on life and the people around you.

Colin
How does that post have anything to do with my outlook on life?Please point out anything in that post that isn't true. Do you understand what fishing is?

My post was directed at the fact that you clearly misunderstood how Henry reacted when McGahee was drafted. He kept his mouth shut. He worked hard. He dodged questions about it. On and on and on. The man ran roughshot for 2 years and as a reward, they drafted his replacement when the team had MUCH more pressing needs. Now, in a similar slight, they won't trade him even though fair value seems to have been offered. Has he made some mistakes? Absolutely. Sleeping with a 15 year old is bad, but so is spraying water on a ref AND quiting on your team AND hitting a parking attendant with a car AND getting tossed out of 2 Universities INCLUDING Florida State.

He DID go about playing football. He played hurt. He played WELL> THe entire team was wretched to start last season. However, it was no sweat to get rid of Drew Bledsoe so that "better player" (Losman) could take over. Now, "getting rid" of Henry seems to be a big problem for the team, even though they'd be getting a useful player at a need position.

Is Henry a great RB? Eh...probably not. But he has done more for the BIlls than to be treated this way, off-field problems or not.

And your assertion that he is a 15 year old in a man's body is both baseless and uninformed.

Colin

The Bills have treated Henry like crap
Explain to me how Henry has been treated like crap. He's a pretty good RB, but the Bills found somebody better. They're trying to trade him, but they expect him to honor his contract if they can't get a deal to their liking.Do you think Travis Henry is the first guy in NFL history to lose his starting job to a better player?
Well, at least it looks as if Buf has found a better RB then T. Henry. But, we should maybe wait until W.McGahee has a better year then either of the two years T. Henry had as the starter in Buf. The potential is definitely there, but let's not jump to any conclusions about a RB who has had 11 descent games as a starter as being a better RB. The potential is there but has not proven anything just yet. I remember hearing that W. McGahee had said last year that his leg was still not 100% and this is 2 years later. Let's just not jump to conclusions so quickly.

My post was directed at the fact that you clearly misunderstood how Henry reacted when McGahee was drafted. He kept his mouth shut. He worked hard. He dodged questions about it. On and on and on. The man ran roughshot for 2 years and as a reward, they drafted his replacement when the team had MUCH more pressing needs. Now, in a similar slight, they won't trade him even though fair value seems to have been offered.
I disagree that Henry took the McGahee drafting well. Immediately after the draft he came out crying, until he was probably told by his agent to keep his mouth shut in public.And I think RB has been shown to be one of their more pressing needs in retrospect. Once McGahee came in the whole offense opened up as teams had to start respecting McGahee's big play ability. Henry has no big play ability, in fact he has always been one of the worst RB's in terms of % of 20+ yard runs per carry.If Buffalo caves and lets Henry get what he wants because he moaned and complained that sets a bad precident for the front office. His poor attitude over the past couple years should not be rewarded by Buffalo.There is obviously a lot more to the story then the general public knows. If Henry was indeed this angel you make him out to be he would already be traded and starting on another team. Real NFL front office people obviously don't share your opinion of him.He has decent skills, but not good enough ones to make up for his poor attitude.

The potential is definitely there, but let's not jump to any conclusions about a RB who has had 11 descent games as a starter as being a better RB.
I don't think I've met anybody who's seen Travis Henry play and Willis McGahee play who doesn't think that WMG is clearly the better RB. I certainly don't think it's close.Like I said earlier, Henry is a pretty good RB, and he's certainly good enough to start for a lot of teams. I don't begrudge him wanting to find starting gig, but I don't understand why people think the Bills are villians for wanting him to honor his contract.

The potential is definitely there, but let's not jump to any conclusions about a RB who has had 11 descent games as a starter as being a better RB.
I don't think I've met anybody who's seen Travis Henry play and Willis McGahee play who doesn't think that WMG is clearly the better RB. I certainly don't think it's close.Like I said earlier, Henry is a pretty good RB, and he's certainly good enough to start for a lot of teams. I don't begrudge him wanting to find starting gig, but I don't understand why people think the Bills are villians for wanting him to honor his contract.
It isn't even close. McGahee is the future RB in Buffalo without a doubt. Here's a novel idea Henry...instead of whining and saying you will not play with the Bills, howabout you go out and take the #1 job from the person that stole it from you. He wants to be traded to some team to be the #1 to make it easy for him. Lame.

It isn't even close. McGahee is the future RB in Buffalo without a doubt. Here's a novel idea Henry...instead of whining and saying you will not play with the Bills, howabout you go out and take the #1 job from the person that stole it from you. He wants to be traded to some team to be the #1 to make it easy for him. Lame.
No, what's lame is your post. There is nothing wrong with Henry wanting a chance to go elsewhere to have a chance to start. Saying he should stay and beat out McGahee is weak.

What's better for the Bills? Trade Henry now and get a player they need (an affordable OT) or keep Henry under contract through his final year and watch him hold out until he has to report (7 games left in the season?) to make the season count as a year under contract and then get nothing for him.

No, what's lame is your post. There is nothing wrong with Henry wanting a chance to go elsewhere to have a chance to start. Saying he should stay and beat out McGahee is weak.
There is nothing wrong with him wanting a chance, but if a trade doesn't go through then he will sit out and take his ball and go home. THATS WEAK!! Suck it up you baby and earn your spot back instead of giving up. What heart and determination!!! :rolleyes:

I agree with you there is nothing wrong with him wanting a chance to start somewhere, my only problem with him is the way he's going about it. He acts like he is entitled to a job somewhere and that Buffalo is treating him like crap.If he would of acted more professionally over the past couple years I have a feeling Buffalo would be much more willing to work with him.He has made his own bed, now he's got to sleep in it. Every action has a reaction, and his actions have put Buffalo in a spot where they can back down to him or make a stand and show they will not be held hostage by a malcontent who is making a scene.NFL front offices don't want to set an example to the rest of their players they can be walked all over and disrespected.

The man ran roughshot for 2 years and as a reward, they drafted his replacement when the team had MUCH more pressing needs. 
Colin, you know better than that.
Well, that is true you know.
It's wrong on several levels.1. The Bills didn't have a bunch of more pressing needs. Headed into the draft, their #1 "need" was DL, a position at which a bunch of guys went in front of them.

2. Just because you have a "need" at a particular position doesn't mean you have to spend a 1st round choice at that position. The draft goes more than one round.

3. How can anybody on the staff at FBG fault a team for taking who they viewed as the best player available at the time they picked, regardless of need? VBD anybody?

Basically, the argument that the Bills were evil for taking the best player available instead of reaching for somebody at another position is so ridiculous that I honestly can't believe a staff member said that. I know Colin knows better than this.

There is nothing wrong with him wanting a chance, but if a trade doesn't go through then he will sit out and take his ball and go home. THATS WEAK!! Suck it up you baby and earn your spot back instead of giving up. What heart and determination!!! :rolleyes:
See tkull's post. It's a smart move on Henry's part to force the hand of Buffalo. I'm sure the Bills don't want to lose Henry and get nothing for him after next year. So I wouldn't call this move by Henry weak, just smart.

See tkull's post. It's a smart move on Henry's part to force the hand of Buffalo. I'm sure the Bills don't want to lose Henry and get nothing for him. So I wouldn't call this move by Henry weak, just smart.
NFL teams nowadays are not caving in to players who think they are above the game and can sit out to get what they want.

See tkull's post. It's a smart move on Henry's part to force the hand of Buffalo. I'm sure the Bills don't want to lose Henry and get nothing for him. So I wouldn't call this move by Henry weak, just smart.
NFL teams nowadays are not caving in to players who think they are above the game and can sit out to get what they want.
Well, the Bills can play it that way if they want, but it still doesn't net them anything when they lose Henry. Being stubborn doesn't = being smart. I'd be willing to bet that Buffalo blinks first when push comes to shove.

So just to save face they're going to let value walk? Donahue is all about value isn't he? He's just trying to wring the last bit of value out of Henry.

Agree with this. This is an employee/employer relationship.The employer (Buffalo) has to decide what is worth more to them in the long run. Getting what would be equivelant to a 2nd/3rd round pick and setting a precident that they can be walked over and have their hand forced by marginal players, or not caving in and showing players that actions like Henry's will not be rewarded.It's a dicey situation. Is a 2nd/3rd round pick worth the risk of future players trying to act like the boss in Buffalo?

Agree with this. This is an employee/employer relationship.The employer (Buffalo) has to decide what is worth more to them in the long run. Getting what would be equivelant to a 2nd/3rd round pick and setting a precident that they can be walked over and have their hand forced by marginal players, or not caving in and showing players that actions like Henry's will not be rewarded.

It's a dicey situation. Is a 2nd/3rd round pick worth the risk of future players trying to act like the boss in Buffalo?
Oh, they will cave alright, but they will wait as long as possible to do it. Buffalo isn't stupid, or are they?

Ya, they will let him walk if thats the case.Henry is not above the team or the league. This has happened in professional sports before many times. Teams do not cave in. Keenan McCardell, Alexei Yahsin, Walter Jones, Curtis Enis, Dorsey Levens, Warren Moon to name a few.Inform me of some players who for whom this "holding out" tactic has worked for and were dealt because of it.

So just to save face they're going to let value walk? Donahue is all about value isn't he? He's just trying to wring the last bit of value out of Henry.
Right. And you can bet that as soon as Donahoe pulls the trigger on a trade, we'll all be treated to a series of chest-thumping stories about how the Bills "blinked" or "caved" or were somehow shamed into "doing the right thing."You see, the smart move would be to take the first offer that comes along.

I'm calling it now.

Users who are viewing this thread