What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Dalton Kincaid, BUF (2 Viewers)

He will be destined for success in the NFL.

His first name comes from the Patrick Swayze character in the film Roadhouse and his last name comes from the Samuel L. Jackson character in the film The Hitman's Bodyguard.
Maybe I’m showing my age but I immediately thought of Reuben Kincaid of The Partridge Family fame.

Jared Tokarz @JaredNFLDraft
The best receiving TE In the 2023 NFL Draft draft?

Look no further than
#Utah TE Dalton Kincaid 6’4 240lbs

Rare for a TE to possess as good as hands and body control. 1 drop his whole career.

Caught 16 passes for 234 yards 1 TD in a win vs USC in 2022.

Late 1st - 2nd TE off the board

Fits:
#Chargers pick 21
#Jaguars pick 24

5 Takeaways From Daniel Jeremiah's Pre-Combine Conference Call

Excerpt:

Kincaid is the top tight end on Jeremiah's board, as the well-respected draft analyst said he's drawn comparisons to Travis Kelce and Zach Ertz.

"I know he's coming off an injury right now and I know he's kind of a flex tight end, but … I think he's a big-time player. He's one of my favorite players to watch in this draft," Jeremiah said. "I think he's one of the best players in the draft.

"He's just sudden in everything that he does, he separates, he's outstanding after the catch, he can win on contact over the middle of the field," Jeremiah added. "He's really, really good after the catch. As a blocker, he's going to more shield you and wall off.

Huge fan of his. The #1 TE in the draft in my opinion, and someone with a Mark Andrews level ceiling.
There are a lot of Tight Ends in the first 2-3 rounds that could become starters in the NFL, a wave of them in the '23 Draft. Mayer is pretty darn good from Notre Dame but he's not the entire class, not by a long shot. Not sure how I feel about Washington from Georgia but he's freakish. Musgrave has some questions coming off some injuries but certainly looks the part.

That's 4 names that could all go in the Top 50 depending on what teams need. The Miami Dolphins will not be bringing Mike Gesicki back and they certainly are a player at #51 for a couple fo the Tight Ends who slip into the Mid 2nd Rd.

Last edited:
Huge fan of his. The #1 TE in the draft in my opinion, and someone with a Mark Andrews level ceiling.
There are a lot of Tight Ends in the first 2-3 rounds that could be come starters in the NFL, a wave of them in the '23 Draft. Mayer is pretty darn good from Notre Dame but he's not the entire class, not by a long shot. Not sure how I feel about Washington from Georgia but he's freakish. Musgrave has some questions coming off some injuries but certainly looks the part.

That's 4 names that could all go in the Top 50 depending on what teams need. The Miami Dolphins will not be bringing Mike Gesicki back and they certainly are a player at #51 for a couple fo the Tight Ends who slip into the Mid 2nd Rd.
Seems like Miami would want someone more like Mayer who is also a good blocker and not primarily a big WR like Gesicki is.

There are a lot of Tight Ends in the first 2-3 rounds that could be come starters in the NFL, a wave of them in the '23 Draft. Mayer is pretty darn good from Notre Dame but he's not the entire class, not by a long shot. Not sure how I feel about Washington from Georgia but he's freakish. Musgrave has some questions coming off some injuries but certainly looks the part.

Seems like Miami would want someone more like Mayer who is also a good blocker and not primarily a big WR like Gesicki is.
Yes, that was why Gesicki was an bad fit and kind of odd they franchised him.

But back to Kincaid. He's also my TE1 in this draft for fantasy purposes. This draft class is loaded at TE and it's all about the flavor teams want. Blocker, hybrid, seam stretcher, slot/pass catcher, it's all there. Mayer is more well rounded, so is Musgrave IMO and both offer some upside in the receiving game but as a pure pass catcher I'm not exactly going out on a limb saying Kincaid is my top guy. If I got any concerns on him it would be health related.

I also think he's got a great chance to be a year one fantasy starting TE. I think the "you can't count on a rookie TE in fantasy" is a little beat to death and requires more nuance. We've seen multiple examples the past few years of rookie TE's making an impact in fantasy. Two things are typically key. The obvious is playing time, did they get drafted to place like Goedert did where he's second banana or do they have a realistic shot to be the primary TE for their teams? The second items is if they often, if not primarily, play in the slot. When they are more slot players then in-line TE's it's my opinon their rookie learning curve should be more similar to a WR then a TE. The in-line guys who are asked to block more plus run routes, that's a lot on their plate to learn and they understandably will usually take more time.

And of course the individual talent matters. Kincaid is 24 and looks NFL ready to my eyes. As such I've two drafts into this season so far, redrafts in FFPC(TE premium) and have targeted and acquried Kincaid in both of them.

Doug Farrar @NFL_DougFarrar
Anybody else see a whole lot of Travis Kelce in Dalton Kincaid's game? Zone-beaters, bulling through tacklers, and if you're not careful, he'll cook a whole side of your defense.

uStadium @uStadium
#Utah TE Dalton Kincaid on being compared to Travis Kelce & Zach Ertz.

Mentions himself as not only one of the best tight ends in the draft but one of the best pass catchers in general.

TE1? 👀

I don’t like drafting TEs too early, but I do like Kincaid. Pitts was the exception and that may have been a mistake.

There might not be a prospect I’m higher on than

#Utah TE Dalton Kincaid
6’3 1/2 - 246lbs

It’s rare to find a TE who is such a natural route runner. Watching his film compared to other TEs of the class, you notice the fluidity of his routes, soft pic.twitter.com/lTGNto9Hn6… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…

Kincaid posted an insane 16 catches, 234 yards and 1 TD in a 43-42 win over USC in ‘22

Fits I love in the late first:

#Chargers at 22 (Herbert to Kincaid 😭)
#Cowboys at 27 (Schultz signs elsewhere)
#Bengals at 29

Formally met with #Bengals #Buccaneers #Chiefs #Packers… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…

Chris Simms’ 2023 NFL Draft TE Rankings: Dalton Kincaid a tier above the rest

Excerpt:

No. 1: Dalton Kincaid, Utah

What Simms said: “This guy is awesome … the physical skills are off the charts good. First off, natural athlete. Great pair of legs. He’s not rocked up, but I have no problem with that, he’s just a big strong man. Travis Kelce, Mark Andrews, they’re not rocked up, they’re just big guys who are natural athletes … After the catch, he’s receiver-like. He gets upfield in an instant, he can make people miss. It’s not like that’s gonna be his number one thing, breaking ankles, but he can make you miss. And then, damn, he breaks a lot of tackles … His blocking is really good. There’s certainly plays where he falls off blocks of misses blocks, but here’s the thing: there’s plenty enough to see it as you go through the games themselves and go, ‘Oh, damn, he does a good job. He can block people big, in space, do all that.’”

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Utah TE Dalton Kincaid (back) has been "fully cleared" by Dr. Robert Watkins.

Watkins, a doctor who has worked with dozens of professional athletes dealing with back injuries, sent a letter to NFL teams that said, "He is cleared to play football with no restrictions.” The letter also noted that Kincaid has been "asymptomatic with no pain and no limitation of function for at least three months." Kincaid is a strong contender to be the first tight end taken in the upcoming draft and could even hear his name called in the teens. He did not participate in the combine or Utah's Pro Day but is coming off a stellar, 70/890/8 season at Utah despite dealing with the back issue late in the year.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Apr 12, 2023 at 1:25 PM ET

Mayer will be taken before Kincaid in fantasy drafts, but should he? I have my doubts he should, because I have my doubts about Mayer athletically.
Man, I hope you're right,

Sincerely, 1.11.
I can tell you in FFPC (TE premium) redrafts it's already shifted from earlier this off-season where Mayer was going ahead of Kincaid. Kincaid is now going a solid two rounds over Mayer.

Again that's redraft but it gives you insight into fantasy players mind-set and before factoring in draft capital/landing spots it seems pretty clear Kincaid has pulled decidedly ahead, as I think he should.

Bills traded up with the Jaguars to select Utah TE Dalton Kincaid with the No. 25 overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.​

The Bills surrendered the Nos. 27 and 130 overall picks for the right to move up two spots and add another offensive weapon. Fighting Notre Dame's Max Mayer to be the first tight end off the board, Kincaid (6’4/246) only played one year of high school football before joining the FCS ranks at San Diego University. His raw talent was on full display as a freshman when he scored 11 times. Kincaid followed that up with another eight touchdowns and 835 yards before transferring to Utah. He didn’t see meaningful playing time until his second season as a Utah but once again came out blazing. Kincaid went for 510 yards in 2021 and added another 890 yards to his resume in 2022. He led all Power Five tight ends in receptions (70) and yards per route run (2.42) as a senior. Kincaid is unfinished as a blocker and saw nearly half of his snaps at Utah in the slot, but his absurd playmaking ability could warrant a look in fantasy leagues even as a rookie. He is a legitimate pass-catching weapon for a Bills offense suddenly running low on them, and very bad news for Dawson Knox's target share.
SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter
Apr 27, 2023, 11:11 PM ET

To the moon!

How high does he wind up in rookie drafts? 1st round draft capital. Elite QB and offense.

There’s a dearth of fantasy TE’s so think he will end up getting reached on in a lot of fantasy drafts once you start getting into the 7-12 range depending on the teams drafting in those spots. Still, it’s tough to spend a 1st on a TE thats not a Pitts like generational talent. They generally don’t contribute early and lots of 1st round TE’s have disappointed, even Pitts has disappointed so far. But gotta love the talent and landing spot, likely immediately sees action lining up in the slot for Buffalo.

To the moon!

How high does he wind up in rookie drafts? 1st round draft capital. Elite QB and offense.
I think he's a late 1st rounder. I'd take him over any non Richardson QB. We'll see where some RBs/WRs end up, but I have a hard time thinking he won't be in my top-12.
Yeah, I agree. I am pretty solid at all positions and with overall age of my roster. I do have Kelce and Friermuth at TE and have the 1.9. I might look at Kincaid as I think as a talent he is similar to 'Muth but in a MUCH better offense.

Hard to get excited about him for the first two years, so I'm not really on board as a 1st round rookie pick. In general I'm looking for players who will have their value go up (or at worst stay the same).
He's middling value until Knox is gone 3 years from now.

Reactions: Bri
Hard to get excited about him for the first two years, so I'm not really on board as a 1st round rookie pick. In general I'm looking for players who will have their value go up (or at worst stay the same).
He's middling value until Knox is gone 3 years from now.
More I read up on it last night from Bills beat writers I got more excited.

I realize Knox recently got extended but his cap number jumps up to between $14.4-15.9m for the 24-26 seasons. He has a $5m roster bonus due in what is probably the beginning of the new league year in 2024. My guess is he won't see it but he's not long for the team with that kind of salary.

Even with Knox, what has me more excited about Kincaid, is the talk is he's mainly the new slot WR.

Now TE's usually take some time. It helps when you line up more in the slot so that should in theory help his learning curve. But the Bills are known to slow roll their young players. So for me I'm a little more down on him in redraft and for this upcoming season, but again considering the position is not one you really count on a rookie so much as hope for production it's not a huge deal to me. But I think he should be locked in a full time role and acclimated by no later then the 2024 season.

To the moon!

I think he's a late 1st rounder. I'd take him over any non Richardson QB. We'll see where some RBs/WRs end up, but I have a hard time thinking he won't be in my top-12.
I agree. Maybe over a couple of the darling WRs, too. I’m not convinced Addison or Flowers are legit NFL players at their size/build.

I love the pick for BUF. Kinkaid is going to be a weapon. There was a lot of talk of BUF going for a “big slot receiver” - looks like they got one.

Users who are viewing this thread