What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Travis Kelce, KC (2 Viewers)

Travis Kelce caught 4-of-7 targets for 27 yards in the Chiefs' Week 8 win over the Giants.

The seven targets tied Mecole Hardman for a distant second on the team behind Tyreek Hill's 18. And Kelce also lost a fumble in this one. The turnover coupled with 27 empty yards made for a massively disappointing fantasy night. Kelce just hasn't looked right with just one touchdown since Week 2 and 65 yards or less in four of the last five games. Now 32, maybe Father Time is catching up to him. The Chiefs have no reliable pass catchers behind Hill and Kelce, and defenses are keying on them. Kelce gets a Week 9 date with the Packers. He's no longer the unquestioned top fantasy TE1 every week.

- NBC SportsEDGE

So youre saying he's washed? Because I just bought this guy and am looking forward to ending my season lol
A)He's still the TE1, but that huge advantage over the next guy may not be there anymore.

B)Its just variance, and people are overreacting because he's over 30, and that's what people tend to look for as an explanation.

C) Mahomes has been struggling(by his standards anyway) and he's taking Kelce down with him.

I'm betting on B myself as the most likely answer long term, even if the other two seem to also be the case right now.

A)He's still the TE1, but that huge advantage over the next guy may not be there anymore.

B)Its just variance, and people are overreacting because he's over 30, and that's what people tend to look for as an explanation.

C) Mahomes has been struggling(by his standards anyway) and he's taking Kelce down with him.

I'm betting on B myself as the most likely answer long term, even if the other two seem to also be the case right now.
D) teams figured out to stop him, since they do not respect the running game.  To be fair, he was open on the TD to Hill.  

Mahomes looked really bad yesterday.

i saw a stat that PM averaged 2.1 air yds per catch yesterday.   I don’t know if PM or TK or both are masking injuries right now or what.  

I think part of this is what happens when teams figure out that you can’t run the ball. They sit back and try to contain your two big weapons- Hill and Kelce. Another Part is the play of PM

In the end, I think Kelce will be ok. He won’t deliver 1st round value unless the Chefs and PM really turn it around, but I think he will be very good.  

I think its C. Mahomes has been bad

He hasn’t been at all what I expected when I drafted him. If I throw out his big game in week 1 I’ve actually been out scored at the TE position over the remaining 7 weeks. 

There were at least three plays I can remember from last night where Kelce was wide open but Mahomes forced throws to a covered Hill instead.

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1455332493675175945?s=21

This one killed me. Kelce is wide open in the end zone waving his arms begging for the ball, and Mahomes threw it to a covered Tyreek, who still caught it. 

Defenses are trying to take away Kelce and Hill because the third receiving options suck. But Hill is getting open because he can. Seems like Kelce isn't as good at that as he was before, and Mahomes isn't as accurate in getting Kelce the ball in tight spaces. 

He hasn’t been at all what I expected when I drafted him. If I throw out his big game in week 1 I’ve actually been out scored at the TE position over the remaining 7 weeks. 
He actually outscored my opponents TEs in all by 2 weeks for me. Even this week he outscored Pitts lol

Sam Quentin said:
I think part of this is what happens when teams figure out that you can’t run the ball. They sit back and try to contain your two big weapons- Hill and Kelce. Another Part is the play of PM

Except the Chiefs CAN run the ball. This O-line is completely re-tooled, and the problem is the Chiefs GM put together a good run blocking line for a team that loves to pass the ball. They are averaging 4.8 yards per rush which is 6th in the league.

The problem is Orlando Brown as a left tackle is HORRIBLE against the pass. Which means Mahomes is bailing out of that pocket WAY early. Why? Because there is no pocket.

Consequently the Chiefs are running scramble drills all freaking day.

Fans here in KC have been SCREAMING at Reid to run the ball. Throw short passes and quick drops so Mahomes can get the ball out quick. They certainly have the speed to do this. And on that first drive last night they proved it.

But Reid is having a seriously awful year (in more ways than one) and continues to call shotgun snaps and 7 step drops for Mahomes and runs everyone deep.  The Chiefs need to run the ball and continue to dink and dunk their way down the field until these teams start bringing guys closer to the line, which opens up all the deeper stuff we know and love.

Until Reid pulls his head out of his #### this will continue.

Travis Kelce caught 5-of-8 targets for 68 yards and a touchdown in the Chiefs' Week 9 win against the Packers. 

Kelce bounced back from last week's catastrophic 27-yard performance against the Giants. He scored the team's only touchdown on a short first quarter throw and was the lone bright spot on another down day for the formerly great Kanas City passing offense. With at least eight targets in six of nine games this year, he's still seeing decent volume -- enough to give Kelce drafters hope that he can inoculate himself from Patrick Mahomes' immense struggles. Kelce gets the Raiders in Week 10. 

- NBC SportsEDGE

Except the Chiefs CAN run the ball. This O-line is completely re-tooled, and the problem is the Chiefs GM put together a good run blocking line for a team that loves to pass the ball. They are averaging 4.8 yards per rush which is 6th in the league.

The problem is Orlando Brown as a left tackle is HORRIBLE against the pass. Which means Mahomes is bailing out of that pocket WAY early. Why? Because there is no pocket.

Consequently the Chiefs are running scramble drills all freaking day.

Fans here in KC have been SCREAMING at Reid to run the ball. Throw short passes and quick drops so Mahomes can get the ball out quick. They certainly have the speed to do this. And on that first drive last night they proved it.

But Reid is having a seriously awful year (in more ways than one) and continues to call shotgun snaps and 7 step drops for Mahomes and runs everyone deep.  The Chiefs need to run the ball and continue to dink and dunk their way down the field until these teams start bringing guys closer to the line, which opens up all the deeper stuff we know and love.

Until Reid pulls his head out of his #### this will continue.

Orlando Brown has been atrocious from what I have seen. The Chiefs also appear to lack a protection scheme that helps out either tackle. When desperate, I've seen Kelce sustaining blocks. As if that isn't bad enough, when having a rough time in the first half against the pass rush, they decide at halftime to throw an extra blocker in, such as Kelce helping the left tackle against DE. HOWEVER, Mahomes also immediately bails out to the right shrinking the field! Doing one is bad enough, but both is inexcusable. One less receiver AND a shortened side of the field? The confluence of issues is astounding.

I still remember in the first quarter of the last Super Bowl, (when the Chiefs offensive line was full of backups) Kelce and Watkins were double teaming the left DE. There was no intent to chip and go out on a route for either player. The two receivers were fully dedicated to blocking. The Chiefs knew they were screwed with their patchwork line.

With a retooled and healthy O-line, they casting aside any doubt. The Chiefs simply don't have it in their playbook to mix up protections (RB chip, second TE, running interference, etc.). If the five members of the O-line can't handle the pass rush, it' appears completely like an ad hoc adjustment.

In the Chiefs I trust, but:

• Mahomes hasn't been right since the injury (skittish).
  • Kelce has looked gassed (for the season) since during the Ravens game.
  • Reid needs to realize that a critical part of play design is giving the QB time, even if that means 5 receivers don't immediately get out into a route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nathan Jahnke @PFF_NateJahnke

Mark Andrews has surpassed Travis Kelce as TE1 on the season. They have equal number of targets, but Andrews has more receptions, yards and touchdowns.
https://twitter.com/pff_natejahnke/status/1470459180746264576?s=21

Mike Clay @MikeClayNFL

Andrews, Kittle and Gronk are all ahead of Kelce in fantasy PPG. 

Kelce's streak of 5 straight seasons as fantasy's No. 1 TE is obviously in jeopardy.
https://twitter.com/mikeclaynfl/status/1470460094999674887?s=21

Travis Kelce caught 10-of-13 targets for 191 yards and two touchdowns in the Chiefs' 34-28, Week 15 overtime win over the Chargers. 

Amidst increasing "age model" whispers, Kelce went nuclear for a new career high in yardage, scoring touchdowns of seven and 34 yards in the game's final 2:22, with the latter being an overtime walk-off. Kelce was also one yard away from a 70-yard score in the fourth quarter, but he ran out of gas inside the five-yard line. The reception was his longest since 2016. For the game-ender, Kelce caught a simple shallow cross and took advantage of some bad tackling angles to reach the end zone relatively unencumbered. Now the owner of 17/295/2 against the Bolts this season, Kelce heads into a Week 16 matchup with a Steelers defense that is bottom 10 in tight end fantasy points allowed. He will, obviously, still be a top-three option for the fantasy semifinals.  

Dec 16, 2021, 11:39 PM ET

Kelce

has been disappointing lately. Looks to me grabbing him in round 1 was a mistake and won’t be something we see in the future. 

If you made it to the playoffs with him you're pretty happy.

🙂

Of course, a lot of teams with Kelce didn't.

I made it to the playoffs as well despite drafting him in the first round and yes had a bye yesterday. My point of first round worthiness where grabbing other TEs in round 2-5 makes more sense.While Kelce has stayed healthy more than other TEs I will be looking at others like Andrews, Waller, Hockenson etc in rounds 3-4

Why not? He had 3 bad weeks all year. I had a bye so didn't even get to enjoy his huge game. Hope he can have another big one next week.

Because he killed his owners the past few weeks. The team that took him in my big league missed the playoffs with a loss last week, and if he had gotten anything at all from Kelce he would have won. I beat him a few weeks back when all he needed on Monday Night was 10 points from Kelce, and he got 5. 

Because he killed his owners the past few weeks. The team that took him in my big league missed the playoffs with a loss last week, and if he had gotten anything at all from Kelce he would have won. I beat him a few weeks back when all he needed on Monday Night was 10 points from Kelce, and he got 5. 
I have Kelce on 2 of 3 FFPC championships teams and 2 of 3 other leagues. 

Last night was awesome!

Kelce owner in all 3 of my leagues made playoffs 

Chiefs placed Travis Kelce on the reserve/COVID list. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Kelce is vaccinated, so there remains a chance he is activated before Sunday's matchup with the Steelers under the new COVID protocols. That said, the fact he is vaccinated and still heading to the COVID list means he tested positive. The fantasy playoffs just keep getting worse. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 20, 2021, 5:00 PM ET

Another one’s gone, another one’s gone, another one bites the dust.

2021 playoffs is making short bench leagues all the more “fun”.  Can’t drop Kelce under any circumstances (in case I’m alive for week 17),  but I’m going to be forced to make some tough decisions to field a lineup this week. 

Hoping and praying he is healthy as that comes first and foremost.  

Praying for negative test by Saturday.

If not I am rolling with Goedart in one league and Kmet in another.

dude....you realize its FF right?....and without Kelce he may have not even been in a position to "miss the playoffs with a loss last week".....Kelce probably helped him even sniff the playoffs....you can't be serious with posts like this...c'mon man...

Not sure how that can be known since they just implemented the new protocols in the last few days?
I’m not sure how frequently they test but they had a Thursday game so he could’ve been positive Friday, Saturday, Sunday and / or Monday which may mean it could be done later in the week.  Grasping at straws hoping he can somehow play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone read if he is showing symptoms?  I cannot imagine him not playing on Sunday if he tested positive a couple of days ago.  So weird

Didn't Kelce just score over 40 fantasy points this week?

Didn't Kelce just score over 40 fantasy points this week?
Yes and he will have an absolute field day if he can suit up against the Steelers.   

There are rumors that this game might be postponed which I think is ludicrous but the NFL rarely learns from a mistake and so if delayed, that will help Kelce's chances of playing.

Yes and he will have an absolute field day if he can suit up against the Steelers.   

There are rumors that this game might be postponed which I think is ludicrous but the NFL rarely learns from a mistake and so if delayed, that will help Kelce's chances of playing.
I haven't seen any of the usual suspects reporting they may move any games. Yet.

dude....you realize its FF right?....and without Kelce he may have not even been in a position to "miss the playoffs with a loss last week".....Kelce probably helped him even sniff the playoffs....you can't be serious with posts like this...c'mon man...

I drafted Kelce as a rookie (shout out to Sig for that one), and had him as a Keeper on my championship winning team, so I have great affection for Kelce. 

But you're being an apologist if you overlook Kelce’s inconsistency this year. Not his fault, he's still great. But he got schemed out of matches. It's inconsistency that kills you in FF with first round picks. 

Don't be an apologist. 

I’m not sure how frequently they test but they had a Thursday game so he could’ve been positive Friday, Saturday, Sunday and / or Monday which may mean it could be done later in the week.  Grasping at straws hoping he can somehow play.
Right; I don’t think we’re sure how the new protocols will play out.  My post was in response to someone saying only 30% make it back that quickly under the new testing.  We can’t know that, because the new protocols just started.

I drafted Kelce as a rookie (shout out to Sig for that one), and had him as a Keeper on my championship winning team, so I have great affection for Kelce. 

But you're being an apologist if you overlook Kelce’s inconsistency this year. Not his fault, he's still great. But he got schemed out of matches. It's inconsistency that kills you in FF with first round picks. 

Don't be an apologist. 
it's on the drafter...if you think a player is going to be "inconsistent" and potentially "schemed out"....and you are not good enough to account for that and have a roster that can overcome the ups and downs....draft somebody else in the first....nobody forced anybody to take Kelce in the first...you can't really say things after the fact so to speak....

it's on the drafter...if you think a player is going to be "inconsistent" and potentially "schemed out"....and you are not good enough to account for that and have a roster that can overcome the ups and downs....draft somebody else in the first....nobody forced anybody to take

Kelce

in the first...you can't really say things after the fact so to speak....

Totally agreed. My point exactly. That's why I avoided him in the first this year, even after his big year last year. As it turned out, there were many better positional options available.

Totally agreed. My point exactly. That's why I avoided him in the first this year, even after his big year last year. As it turned out, there were many better positional options available.
your previous posts indicated he "killed his owners".... indicating "because of Kelce" they lost.... because they didn't get enough out of just him "that week"...you make the same reference when saying you needed 9 out of him and only got 5.....why did those 9 HAVE to come from Kelce?....did everybody else on your team "ball out" or did somebody else poop the bed too?....I'm simply saying you could say what you said about Kelce about every first round pick....every fantasy player has down weeks, no matter what round they are taken in...you can't pick and choose weeks to blame stuff on guys.....if you give them props when they "carry" your team some weeks.....they get the benefit like every other first round pick of having some down weeks too....what first round pick hasn't had some bad weeks....heck I guess even Jonathan Taylor must have cost his owners from making the playoffs when he had his couple bad weeks back to back in weeks 2-3....

Users who are viewing this thread