What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Texans' Center Wants Reggie Bush (1 Viewer)

packersfan

Footballguy
Interesting comment and if the Texans don't get Bush -- so to speak -- I wonder what the fallout will be between McKinney and Domanick Davis.

Here's the quote:

Texans running back Domanick Davis seldom practices and often misses parts or all of games because of injuries, so center Steve McKinney told reporters he understands all the Bush talk.

"If I were a fan, I'd be wanting the same thing," McKinney said after a victory against the Arizona Cardinals ended talk that the Texans were trying to lose. "I hope we keep on winning and still have a shot at him."

Link

Ironic part is that if they do not draft Bush, or Leinhart, they would be looking to upgrade the OLine. If I am a center, drafting Bush would sound good, too.

this quote means exactly....nothing.
It means at least one member of the Texans doesn't believe Domanick Davis is a viable starting option and the running back position is in need of an upgrade. Whether it's true or not, I don't think that's something you want to be saying about a starter -- especially given how Davis is one of the few Texans who's actually played worth a damn the last couple of seasons.

It means at least one member of the Texans doesn't believe Domanick Davis is a viable starting option and the running back position is in need of an upgrade. Whether it's true or not, I don't think that's something you want to be saying about a starter -- especially given how Davis is one of the few Texans who's actually played worth a damn the last couple of seasons.
Ummm.... no... it doesn't mean that at all.... Read into things much????

Misleading headline.

If I were a fan, I'd be wanting the same thing.

He is not a fan. He is not saying what he wants.

It's pretty obvious what's being said so I'm not sure how you're missing it. The easy answer for McKinnie here is to say he understands the excitement about Bush, but the Texans already have a good RB in Domanick Davis and so we'll see what happens in the draft or something along those lines. But for him to come right out and say he hopes the Texans are able to draft Bush, that's a pretty strong statement being made that he doesn't believe in Davis and believes a new RB is what the team needs. If McKinnie believed the Texans didn't need a new RB he wouldn't be sitting there saying he hoped the team was able to draft Bush. If he believed in Davis or felt Davis was a top-line starter, he'd make that clear. Hell, he should play it smart and say that anyway just to make sure there is no fallout down the road.

You don't go around advocating drafting a RB unless you believe the RB you currently have in place isn't good enough or as good as the guy coming out in the draft. And again, if that's how McKinnie feels and the Texans don't get Bush, that's not something Domanick Davis is likely to forget.

Misleading headline.

If I were a fan, I'd be wanting the same thing.

He is not a fan. He is not saying what he wants.
"I hope we keep on winning and still have a shot at him." That's a direct quote from McKinnie talking about what he wants. What part of that is hard to understand?

It's pretty obvious what's being said so I'm not sure how you're missing it. The easy answer for McKinnie here is to say he understands the excitement about Bush, but the Texans already have a good RB in Domanick Davis and so we'll see what happens in the draft or something along those lines. But for him to come right out and say he hopes the Texans are able to draft Bush, that's a pretty strong statement being made that he doesn't believe in Davis and believes a new RB is what the team needs. If McKinnie believed the Texans didn't need a new RB he wouldn't be sitting there saying he hoped the team was able to draft Bush. If he believed in Davis or felt Davis was a top-line starter, he'd make that clear. Hell, he should play it smart and say that anyway just to make sure there is no fallout down the road.

You don't go around advocating drafting a RB unless you believe the RB you currently have in place isn't good enough or as good as the guy coming out in the draft. And again, if that's how McKinnie feels and the Texans don't get Bush, that's not something Domanick Davis is likely to forget.
I think it's more to do with the fact that he wants the guy who is the clear choice as top player in college football and top prospect for the NFL.

I think it's more to do with the fact that he wants the guy who is the clear choice as top player in college football and top prospect for the NFL.
That's certainly possible. But I still don't think you come right out and say that if you believe the current starter is someone you feel confident about. The implication about Davis in McKinnie's quote is pretty damn revealing in my opinon.

It means at least one member of the Texans doesn't believe Domanick Davis is a viable starting option and the running back position is in need of an upgrade.
Where does he say that Davis isn't a viable starting option? I think that 25 teams in the league would seriously consider taking Bush #1 overall. If he said the Texans should pick a RB with their second rounder, that would be something.

It means at least one member of the Texans doesn't believe Domanick Davis is a viable starting option and the running back position is in need of an upgrade.
Where does he say that Davis isn't a viable starting option?
By saying he's as excited as the fans are at the prospect of drafting Reggie Bush, you are strongly implying that the guy you currently have as your starter (Davis) needs to be replaced or isn't as good as Bush. I guess it's just me, but that strikes me as something you really don't want to be saying about a starter, much less one of the few productive starters this team has had.If Leinart was the consensus No. 1 pick (and maybe by draft day he will be again) and McKinnie said the same thing, don't you think that would be reflection of how he felt about David Carr? Of course it would.

Too bad MckInney won't be the Houston center next year. His play can kindly be described as horrendous. You have to take the best player available when you pick that high, it is foolish to make a need pick, not with the $$$ you are throwing out. IMO Bush is the best player available (with D'Brickshaw Ferguson # 2). Obviously the Texans have too many weaknesses, and there are some serious impact players in this draft, so they can still get a blue chip prospect and accumlate some pretty high picks if they get the #1.

Too bad MckInney won't be the Houston center next year. His play can kindly be described as horrendous.
That's another part of this that makes his comment even more idiotic. It takes a lot of stones for one of the linemen to start talking about how he wants to see a new RB on the team.
You have to take the best player available when you pick that high, it is foolish to make a need pick, not with the $$$ you are throwing out. IMO Bush is the best player available (with D'Brickshaw Ferguson # 2). Obviously the Texans have too many weaknesses, and there are some serious impact players in this draft, so they can still get a blue chip prospect and accumlate some pretty high picks if they get the #1.
My personal feeling is the Texans should trade the pick given how many holes they need to fill and given how their RB situation is in good hands with Davis (and for what it's worth Wells has clearly proven to be a good backup). I feel the same way about the Packers and they have more of a glaring need at RB than the Texans do. When you have so many areas of need, I'd say trade down, stockpile picks and talent and try to build your overall talent base and depth rather than going after one guy.

I'm surprised no one has laid down the following conspiracy yet...1. Houston beat San Fran.2. NYJ lose last two games.3. Saints lose last game.Ergo..4. Saints get the #1 pick.5. Tags goes behind closed doors and tells Benson if the team takes Bush, they'll be in LA by 2007.Fast Forward...6. Reggie Bush of the Los Angeles Saints, taking his current SoCal popularity and parlaying it in to viable football for the NFL in the US's 2nd biggest market.Colin

I'm surprised no one has laid down the following conspiracy yet...

1. Houston beat San Fran.

2. NYJ lose last two games.

3. Saints lose last game.

Ergo..

4. Saints get the #1 pick.

5. Tags goes behind closed doors and tells Benson if the team takes Bush, they'll be in LA by 2007.

Fast Forward...

6. Reggie Bush of the Los Angeles Saints, taking his current SoCal popularity and parlaying it in to viable football for the NFL in the US's 2nd biggest market.

Colin
there's NO WAY......that they'd be called the LA Saints :ph34r:

I think McKinnie should be suspended and inactivated for the rest of the year. It's unconscienable to make these thinkly veiled comments about a teammate in the media.

I think McKinnie should be suspended and inactivated for the rest of the year. It's unconscienable to make these thinkly veiled comments about a teammate in the media.
Why that might make their chances of landing Bush worse. :D

1.  Houston beat San Fran.

Ergo..

5. Tags goes behind closed doors and tells Benson if the team takes Bush, they'll be in LA by 2007.

Fast Forward...

6. Reggie Bush of the Los Angeles Saints, taking his current SoCal popularity and parlaying it in to viable football for the NFL in the US's 2nd biggest market.

Colin
there's NO WAY......that they'd be called the LA Saints :ph34r:
What one can't be an angel and saint at the sametime.

1. Houston beat San Fran.

Ergo..

Fast Forward...

Colin
You do know somebody is going to read that and believe you are serious???

Ergo..

Fast Forward...

Colin
Why is it so unbelievable? :confused: 1. Bush is going #1.

2. The Saints likely get the #1 if the Texans win next week and they and the NYJ lose.

3. Benson wants out of New Orleans

4. The NFL wants to return to LA.

Ergo..

Fast Forward...

Colin
Why is it so unbelievable? :confused: 1. Bush is going #1.

2. The Saints likely get the #1 if the Texans win next week and they and the NYJ lose.

3. Benson wants out of New Orleans

4. The NFL wants to return to LA.
I will play this game just for kicks, would it really matter if the Saints took Bush or Leinert? I mean if the Texans win this week, they will likely wind up third with the Jets 2nd. The Saints can take either golden boy and do your LA bit, leaving the 2nd one for the New York audience. The Texans can then happily take the logical choice, Ferguson and everything wraps up in a tiddy little package.

Users who are viewing this thread