What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest “New Wave” songs 1. Everybody Wants to Rule the World-Tears for Fears (3 Viewers)

I think loose continuum is a very good way to put it. I just googled The The and I saw an article calling "This is the Day" a post-punk masterpiece.

I happen to think the entire Soul Mining album is essentially perfection, but it is also super synth-heavy, so why isn't it "New Wave"?
Article was probably written by a millennial.

Tbh...I was never really even aware of any named-genre distinctions until this century. There was pop, punk, metal, disco, classic rock (stones, zep, Beatles etc) and there was this stuff that touched on some to all of it. And I liked it.

Even at the height of their popularity, Duran Duran was derided as a “video band”, popular for their looks and presentation rather than the quality of their music. Yet this criticism ignores the catchiness of their best songs: they wouldn’t have been so big without some great pop hooks. “Girls On Film” has a strong, memorable bass line. 

As for the video I never really got it. What’s with the sumo wrestler? 
At the time Duran Duran hit, I personally didn't have the music knowledge to understand WHY what they were putting out was so cool to listen to. Perhaps it defies facile explanation anyway. But it was clear to us MTV-Generation kids that Duran2 had A LOT more going on than haircuts and clothes.

Well, the girls did like taping Tiger Beat photos of Simon & the gang into their school lockers :D   I've explained to my daughter in the past that Duran Duran was kind of like the One Direction of their time. In certain aspects of celebrity.

Article was probably written by a millennial.

Tbh...I was never really even aware of any named-genre distinctions until this century. There was pop, punk, metal, disco, classic rock (stones, zep, Beatles etc) and there was this stuff that touched on some to all of it. And I liked it.
post punk actually predates New Wave, imo ... bands like Joy Division, Magazine, Gang of Four, the Fall, Wire, PiL, etc were making their marks on the heels of the punk movement (circa '78 for some) ... even the Cure's first album ('79) was awash in that stark, atmospheric minimalism. 

it has grown to be much more of a de rigueur description, but it's title has made perfect sense for some 42 years. 

As for a definition of New Wave, the key word is "heightened". Whether by talent or production value or genre fusion or video assist, New Wave boosted the amperage of the generation of music which made it possible. As the Stones exploded the blues out into rock and its following genres, New Wave gathered punk & funk & ska & prog all back together and gave it a pop that weirdly-dressed hot chicks could dance to.

When I had XM, New Wave channel was my favorite. My Spotify list is littered with many songs that will be here. The energy from these songs is what gets me going on most days.

post punk actually predates New Wave, imo ... bands like Joy Division, Magazine, Gang of Four, the Fall, Wire, PiL, etc were making their marks on the heels of the punk movement (circa '78 for some) ... even the Cure's first album ('79) was awash in that stark, atmospheric minimalism. 

it has grown to be much more of a de rigueur description, but it's title has made perfect sense for some 42 years. 
Oooh... "actually".... Yes. I was aware at the time of different sounds, but I wasn't aware of any named distinction until this century. For me the label "post-punk" is an after the fact thing. Maybe it existed..want aware of it. Still trying to figure out what emo is, so there's that.

Grew up listening to local KUSF college radio which played them all (when it wasn't Vietnamese news). Also grew up thumbing through record bins- looking at instrumentation and album cover visuals to make picks when I hasn't heard of the band. Stuff wasn't filed in different categories, unless it was jazz or classical.

Oooh... "actually".... Yes. I was aware at the time of different sounds, but I wasn't aware of any named distinction until this century. For me the label "post-punk" is an after the fact thing. Maybe it existed..want aware of it. Still trying to figure out what emo is, so there's that.

Grew up listening to local KUSF college radio which played them all (when it wasn't Vietnamese news). Also grew up thumbing through record bins- looking at instrumentation and album cover visuals to make picks when I hasn't heard of the band. Stuff wasn't filed in different categories, unless it was jazz or classical.
eh, no need for the snark ... i was agreeing with you about the moniker being more of a modern day phenomenon - 

bht i do think it makes for a clear(er) distinction when categorizing bands from the era. 

Now that the definition of new wave is behind us, let’s get on with the show Tim.   Trying to define new wave or put it into a nice, neat box is a losing battle.   That doesn’t work for a lot of music.   

eh, no need for the snark ... i was agreeing with you about the moniker being more of a modern day phenomenon - 

bht i do think it makes for a clear(er) distinction when categorizing bands from the era. 
Sorry about snark, gb..."actually" and "well, actually" are real triggers for me thanks to a know it all older brother. Whatever followed was essentially "you're wrong, I'm right".  Even now hard for me to hear it without getting insta-irritated.

Now that the definition of new wave is behind us, let’s get on with the show Tim.   Trying to define new wave or put it into a nice, neat box is a losing battle.   That doesn’t work for a lot of music.   
bull#### ... no way in hell bands like the Pixies or the Cult or the 'Mats or Joy Division or PiL or R.E.M. are ####in' NEW WAVE - there may be some gray area with some acts, sure ... but lines gotta be acknowledged in the most obvious instances. 

and, yes .... on with the countdown, plz 

Sorry about snark, gb..."actually" and "well, actually" are real triggers for me thanks to a know it all older brother. Whatever followed was essentially "you're wrong, I'm right".  Even now hard for me to hear it without getting insta-irritated.
yeah, i could've worded that post differently ... no worries  :hifive:

bull#### ... no way in hell bands like the Pixies or the Cult or the 'Mats or Joy Division or PiL or R.E.M. are ####in' NEW WAVE - there may be some gray area with some acts, sure ... but lines gotta be acknowledged in the most obvious instances. 

and, yes .... on with the countdown, plz 
I hope Tim adjusts his list accordingly and the next songs are Pixies, Cult, Joy Division, REM....

99. “People are People” Depeche Mode (1984, from Some Great Reward

https://youtu.be/MzGnX-MbYE4

You know those clinking and clanking sounds at the start of early Depeche Mode songs that sound like somebody is throwing metal cookware across a room? That’s exactly what it is: Martin Gore revealed a few years back that they would go into the kitchen of the studio, pull out pots and pans and chuck them on the floor. Who knew? 

Anyhow, Gore always hated this song, which is about racism, because he thought its message was too unsubtle. Apparently they haven’t performed it live in over 30 years. I can’t understand...

When I think of post punk I think of Quicksand, into Another and Fugazi

When I think of new wave I think of pet shop boys, tainted love, making plans for nigel and the waitress at a cocktail bar the night she met that loser. 

When I think of new wave I think of pet shop boys, tainted love, making plans for nigel and the waitress at a cocktail bar the night she met that loser. 
spot on ...

('cept for the XTC nod)

Last edited by a moderator:
Love having a Genre Absolutist around.

It gets really fun with bands like Ministry, and others that changed markedly over time.

Every Day is Halloween is pretty clearly New Wave. Their later offerings are...NOT.

You know those clinking and clanking sounds at the start of early Depeche Mode songs that sound like somebody is throwing metal cookware across a room? That’s exactly what it is: Martin Gore revealed a few years back that they would go into the kitchen of the studio, pull out pots and pans and chuck them on the floor. Who knew? 

Anyhow, Gore always hated this song, which is about racism, because he thought its message was too unsubtle. Apparently they haven’t performed it live in over 30 years. I can’t understand...
I think this is NOT one of DM's best songs. Not really in the top 12-15. So I hope you have a lot more entries from them coming on this list.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I think of post punk I think of Quicksand, into Another and Fugazi

I think of Gang of Four for post punk.

But I also think of new romantic stuff like Duran Duran as new wave.

I can answer this question right away: of course! 

100. “Girls on Film”- Duran Duran (1981, from the album Duran Duran

https://youtu.be/KCjMZMxNr-0

Even at the height of their popularity, Duran Duran was derided as a “video band”, popular for their looks and presentation rather than the quality of their music. Yet this criticism ignores the catchiness of their best songs: they wouldn’t have been so big without some great pop hooks. “Girls On Film” has a strong, memorable bass line. 

As for the video I never really got it. What’s with the sumo wrestler? 
The raunchy topless mud wrestling club version was an interesting move in this era

I think this is NOT one of DM's best songs. Not really in the top 12-15. So I hope you have a lot more entries from them coming on this list.
I agree, but it was one of the few that got played on radio stations other than LIR.

Similarly, it seems as though we'll need to get at least 3 more Duran Duran songs if Girls on Film is on the list.

I hope Tim adjusts his list accordingly and the next songs are Pixies, Cult, Joy Division, REM....
Like I said my genres are fairly broad but none of those bands were considered New Wave at the time as far I as I can recall - more "alternative" or "indie" or "college". With that said if they appear on Tim's list sobeit.

I kind of hate this song to be honest. 

I agree, but it was one of the few that got played on radio stations other than LIR.

Similarly, it seems as though we'll need to get at least 3 more Duran Duran songs if Girls on Film is on the list.
I’m not a big fan of new wave but was a teen in the 80s so I know the music some.   I also expect to see a few more Duran Duran songs as this progresses.   

Users who are viewing this thread