What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1973 #1. Karn Evil 9, 1st Impression, Part 2 (1 Viewer)

11. Paul McCartney & Wings “Band On The Run” (from Band On The Run)

After “Maybe I’m Amazed”, this was probably Sir Paul’s finest post- Beatles moment. I’ve always loved the lead guitar fills on this, starting with the second chorus.

10. Marvin Gaye “Let’s Get It On” (from Let’s Get It On)

Our top 10 begins with this classic by Marvin Gaye, which many, many people regard as his greatest song and one of the top tunes of the early 70s period. Personally I prefer a couple of things from What’s Going On but I wouldn’t quibble with anyone who wants to rank this even higher.

14. Stevie Wonder “Living For The City” (from Innervisions)

Stevie Wonder’s most political statement song is also one of his very best. This guy was simply one of rock music’s greatest composers (amd performers as can be seen by the live version linked.)
One of the most important and powerful songs of its time - or any time. Brilliance.

That West German Musikladen audience in the clip above didn't know what hit them. ETA: IIRC, that is Michael Sembello (who hit it big several years later with "Maniac") on guitar/keyboards.
Indeed it is Sembello.

One of Stevie’s backup singers at this gig was Deniese Williams, who hit it big several years later with “Let’s Hear it for the Boy.”

9. Led Zeppelin “The Rain Song” (from Houses of the Holy)

Is this the prettiest LZ tune? i think so. I believe I voted for it pretty high up in the recent poll, either 5 or 6 overall. It’s simply, um, sublime. I seem to get made fun of for using that word but it fits.

Is this the prettiest LZ tune? i think so. I believe I voted for it pretty high up in the recent poll, either 5 or 6 overall. It’s simply, um, sublime. I seem to get made fun of for using that word but it fits.
You know what artist is without question sublime?

Sublime. It had to be said.

You know what artist is without question sublime?

Sublime. It had to be said.
My cousin was their manager. True story. I met them a couple of times. I did some business with Skunk Records (their original label) through my cousin.

I approve of this song. :thumbup:

17. Steve Miller Band “The Joker” (from The Joker)

Prior to this song, Steve Miller had a really good blues band, with a strong local following and some good songs that rarely got on the radio, like”Space Cowboy” (which he references here.) Then along came this hit and everything changed; they became one of the biggest bands of the mid 70s.

“The Joker” is evocative to me of my teenage years, particularly the beach during the summer months.

Love Steve Miller, but I don't like much of what he did after the Anthology album.

I am way behind again.

Living for the City is awesome, and it's the song that really made me dig into Stevie's 70s material. I remember seeing a live version of it that VH1 played in the late 90s (seemed like it was live, but in a studio) that floored me. A timeless classic.

Drift Away is a fun little tune.

Over the Hills and Far Away and The Rain Song are both in my LZ top 5 on most days, and the former is often number 1. The atmosphere in the latter is unreal.

Band on the Run is always good, though I rarely seek it out anymore.

Marvin Gaye is still on my long list of artists I need to dig deeper into some day.

Damn.

I don't like to criticize these lists, because I think they're one of the best things on the forum, and I know tim puts so much work into them, which I appreciate.

I've no idea what might be in #1-8, and they could be incredible. To me this seems like the best year yet.

But, but, but...

I love The Rain Song. However, putting LZ's 20th best song (or 10th or 30th, whatever you think) above the #1 song by Stevie Wonder EVER??? And above a top three Marvin Gaye song? Yeah...I'm not OK with this.

@Uruk-Hai , please help me here.

ETA: I see it was 17th in the official LZ ranking thread. That seems about right. So 17th LZ > 1st Stevie Wonder or >3rd Marvin Gaye? No. Good god no.

Damn.

I don't like to criticize these lists, because I think they're one of the best things on the forum, and I know tim puts so much work into them, which I appreciate.

I've no idea what might be in #1-8, and they could be incredible. To me this seems like the best year yet.

But, but, but...

I love The Rain Song. However, putting LZ's 20th best song (or 10th or 30th, whatever you think) above the #1 song by Stevie Wonder EVER??? And above a top three Marvin Gaye song? Yeah...I'm not OK with this.

ETA: I see it was 17th in the official LZ ranking thread. That seems about right. So 17th LZ > 1st Stevie Wonder or >3rd Marvin Gaye? No. Good god no.
I welcome your criticism. Love it when you post.

I don’t think of it in those terms. But If I did, I would argue that “The Rain Song” is not #20 for LZ and “Lining For the City” is not #1 for Stevie Wonder. But again I don’t think of it that way. I look at the songs of the year in question and compare them to each other the best I can. Honestly the top 25 is extremely subjective and very interchangeable.

Damn.

But, but, but...

I welcome your criticism. Love it when you post.

I don’t think of it in those terms. But If I did, I would argue that “The Rain Song” is not #20 for LZ and “Lining For the City” is not #1 for Stevie Wonder. But again I don’t think of it that way. I look at the songs of the year in question and compare them to each other the best I can. Honestly the top 25 is extremely subjective and very interchangeable.
I think you do a great job with these lists...and they are very difficult to do. I don't agree with some but it's subjective anyways. I think I have agreed with you more for this year than any other. What a great year it was. :thumbup:

7. Paul Simon “American Tune” (from There Goes Rhymin’ Simon)

Probably simpler than any other song on this list: just Paul on his acoustic Gibson, with a little bass and drums thrown in at the end. And that’s all you need. His lyrics are timeless and as pertinent today as they were in 1973.

7. Paul Simon “American Tune” (from There Goes Rhymin’ Simon)

Probably simpler than any other song on this list: just Paul on his acoustic Gibson, with a little bass and drums thrown in at the end. And that’s all you need. His lyrics are timeless and as pertinent today as they were in 1973.
Good song. Seems out of place in this (top 10) company though.

6. The Who “Love, Reign O’er Me” (from Quadrophenia)

Roger Daltry is at his absolute peak here; I would put up his vocals on this song against just about any rock tune I can think of; they’re that good. It’s of course easier to sing well when you’ve got such a great song to work with.

On a side note this tune always makes me think of Wikkidpissah whom so many here, including me, miss so much. This was a very important song for him as he used it as a tribute to the love of his life, his late wife.

Roger Daltry is at his absolute peak here; I would put up his vocals on this song against just about any rock tune I can think of; they’re that good. It’s of course easier to sing well when you’ve got such a great song to work with.

On a side note this tune always makes me think of Wikkidpissah whom so many here, including me, miss so much. This was a very important song for him as he used it as a tribute to the love of his life, his late wife.

Aw, love the shoutout to wikkid. I miss him so much. Actually now I'm tearing up again just thinking of this.

I can't quibble with this one or the Roberta Flack. What a year for music!

Nailed this one IMO.

Love, Reign O'er Me is a killer tune. Definitely a top 3 Who song.

Killer tune, yes. Top 3 Who song, no way.
:boxing:
Hmm.

I’m pretty sure about “Won’t Get Fooled Again” and “Baba O’ Reilly”. But after that there’s about 5 or 6 songs that could vie for the top. But “Love Reign O’er Me” is certainly one of those.

Agree on those two. For me, without even thinking about others, Behind Blue Eyes >> Love Reign O'er Me.

Love, Reign O'er Me is a killer tune. Definitely a top 3 Who song.

Killer tune, yes. Top 3 Who song, no way.
:boxing:
Hmm.

I’m pretty sure about “Won’t Get Fooled Again” and “Baba O’ Reilly”. But after that there’s about 5 or 6 songs that could vie for the top. But “Love Reign O’er Me” is certainly one of those.

Agree on those two. For me, without even thinking about others, Behind Blue Eyes >> Love Reign O'er Me.
Baba O'Reilly, Love, Reign O'er Me and We're Not Gonna Take It are my top 3 by The Who, with I Can See for Miles just missing the cut.

I will be nice about it, but I have long been in the "I don't get it" camp when it comes to the mad love for Won't Get Fooled Again. It doesn't help that the pulsating synth that drives most of the song gets on my nerves more days than not, but it has never felt like this super awesome classic that seemingly everyone else makes it out to be. I am probably on an island on this one, and that is fine. :lol:

I will be nice about it, but I have long been in the "I don't get it" camp when it comes to the mad love for Won't Get Fooled Again. It doesn't help that the pulsating synth that drives most of the song gets on my nerves more days than not, but it has never felt like this super awesome classic that seemingly everyone else makes it out to be. I am probably on an island on this one, and that is fine. :lol:
You are not alone on that island. I don’t get the mad love for The Who and feel that they are overrated. Sure, they have some good songs but I don’t hear greatness. I have tried listening to them many times over the years but get bored quickly.

I think "Fooled" is a great song, but agree that there are other Who songs that are just as good, if not better, IMO. Who's Next is as good as it gets from top to bottom, so it fits nicely in the package.

I think "Fooled" is a great song, but agree that there are other Who songs that are just as good, if not better, IMO. Who's Next is as good as it gets from top to bottom, so it fits nicely in the package.
I think it's their best, and unlike Tommy/Quad it's all on one piece of vinyl.

5. Pink Floyd “Brain Damage/Eclipse” (from The Dark Side of the Moon)

So as I referenced earlier, I have “Brain Damage”in my top tier of Pink Floyd songs along with “Comfortably Numb” and “Wish You Were Here”. Like “Wish You Were Here” and “Shine On You Crazy Diamond”, “Brain Damage” is apparently about Syd Barrett.

I added “Eclipse” because like so many others that’s how I always listened to them. But “Eclipse” isn’t necessary for the ranking; “Brain Damage” by itself would still come in at #5.

I’m not a big fan of Who’s Next, largely because of the sound. It sounds more polished than their raw, earlier material, but Keith Moon sounds completely emasculated. The mix makes it sound like he’s lightly tapping on his drums for most of the record.

5. Pink Floyd “Brain Damage/Eclipse” (from The Dark Side of the Moon)

So as I referenced earlier, I have “Brain Damage”in my top tier of Pink Floyd songs along with “Comfortably Numb” and “Wish You Were Here”. Like “Wish You Were Here” and “Shine On You Crazy Diamond”, “Brain Damage” is apparently about Syd Barrett.

I added “Eclipse” because like so many others that’s how I always listened to them. But “Eclipse” isn’t necessary for the ranking; “Brain Damage” by itself would still come in at #5.
Even BD/E is tough to isolate without the "Any Colour You Like" lead in, but that's the whole album in a nutshell - it all just flows together.

I’m not a big fan of Who’s Next, largely because of the sound. It sounds more polished than their raw, earlier material, but Keith Moon sounds completely emasculated. The mix makes it sound like he’s lightly tapping on his drums for most of the record.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I don't agree with this at all.

4. Lynyrd Skynyrd “Free Bird” (from Pronounced “Lehn-nerd Skin-nerd”)

Is this the greatest rock anthem of all time? The greatest southern rock song of all time? The best arena rock song of all time? I think it has a decent argument for all 3. Plus one of the best guitar solos ever.

Is this the greatest rock anthem of all time? The greatest southern rock song of all time? The best arena rock song of all time? I think it has a decent argument for all 3. Plus one of the best guitar solos ever.
Decent song, but not one I would ask to be played.

Not sure if that was meant to be serious but per Wiki it’s probably the most requested song of all time. It’s even requested of bands that have never performed it, and there’s a great story in the article of how it was requested in jest at a Bob Dylan concert in 2016, and he surprised the crowd by playing it.

Not sure if that was meant to be serious but per Wiki it’s probably the most requested song of all time. It’s even requested of bands that have never performed it, and there’s a great story in the article of how it was requested in jest at a Bob Dylan concert in 2016, and he surprised the crowd by playing it.
I think it's a joke based on the famous live version where Van Zandt asks "what song do you want to hear" and the response is "freebird".

I've got three songs on my list that I was certain were locks for the top 100, but I doubt they will all hit in succession now. I'll be chirping loudly if one particular tune fails to show, but that won't happen because it's a layup no one could miss.

3. Elton John “Bennie and the Jets” (from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)

Elton’s weird and wonderful tune comes in at #3 for the year. Certainly up there with my all time favorite songs by this amazing artist.

I've got three songs on my list that I was certain were locks for the top 100, but I doubt they will all hit in succession now. I'll be chirping loudly if one particular tune fails to show, but that won't happen because it's a layup no one could miss.
Damn this post worries me. Is it possible there is an obvious top song that I missed? Guess we’ll find out.

Mister CIA sent me his list and none of his songs are on mine. Amd they probably deserve to be:

“Love of Money” The OJays

“Feeling Stronger Every Day” Chicago

“Rock On” David Essex

The first 2 I considered but they didn’t make my top 100. The Essex song I just completely forgot about. I have no excuse.

3. Elton John “Bennie and the Jets” (from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)

Elton’s weird and wonderful tune comes in at #3 for the year. Certainly up there with my all time favorite songs by this amazing artist.
Bennie and The Jets significantly higher than Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding???
Bennie was one of Elton's most overplayed, mediocre teeny bopper songs.
You're joking, right? :oldunsure:
I'm just trying to understand the thinking on this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread