What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 1977 Song Draft (1 Viewer)

I don't know if I've ever seen a "Band Draft" done.  I say, if you're going to do it, do it big and make it "All-time."
For Zilla, or whoever has the balls to Commish this thing, the following are IN so far:Nigel Tufnel

Uncle Humuna

Print is Dead

JuniorNB

amnesiac

KillerNerd

wildbill

Tremendous Upside

Jethro Q. Walrustitty

JZilla

Real Man of Genius

Hov34

John Maddens Lunchbox

DC Thunder

That is 14 so far, by my count. Does someone want to mock up some rules? Should we start another thread? We should probably set a team limit at 16 or 20 at most, so everybody gets some of their favorite bands before we are fighting over Captain and Tenille in the 5th round.

Maybe 20 teams/20 rounds? That is 400 bands.

Also, maybe require the selector to choose their favorite album or 3 favorite songs or somesuch from each band, so if they are unfamilar to someone, we might have a starting place to grab some tunes from?

:excitedforMonday:
Updated

Also, are there going to be genre requirements?  Only so many "hard rock" bands per team, for instance.
i think it would be more fun with no genre requirements.
I'd think just the opposite. You'd make guys do some research on groups they aren't familiar with rather than just the usual suspects of metal, rock or punk. Require at least 1 '40s era swing band or pure '50s R&B, and some of you metalheads would have your heads explode.

Also, are there going to be genre requirements?  Only so many "hard rock" bands per team, for instance.
I'd think just the opposite. You'd make guys do some research on groups they aren't familiar with rather than just the usual suspects of metal, rock or punk. Require at least 1 '40s era swing band or pure '50s R&B, and some of you metalheads would have your heads explode.
I would love to see the metalheads be forced to take a female adult contemporary singer. :thumbup:

I'll get in this thing too.

By the way, does a "band" have to play their own instruments?  Do The Temptations count as a "band", for instance?
Absolutely. The Monkees count, for all I care.
It will likely be amended to "Band/Artist Draft" or something. I don't want people to think it's only "bands." Hell, Michael Bolton is eligible.
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :rant:

You elitist punk.

I would love to see the metalheads be forced to take a female adult contemporary singer. :thumbup:
I would like to see the Deadheads take some Slayer !!!! :unsure:

Also, maybe require the selector to choose their favorite album or 3 favorite songs or somesuch from each band, so if they are unfamilar to someone, we might have a starting place to grab some tunes from?
this is a good idea

The problem with this, IMO, is that it might/would force drafters to pick artists that they are not familiar with or don't particularly like. To me, the main benefit of these drafts is to identify new music that sounds intriguing to me. The best way to identify that, IMO, is to have someone who is passionate about a certain band/album/song describe why they enjoy that particular music.

Real Man of Genius

amnesiac

The Dreaded Marco

simey

Nigel Tufnel

who am i missing for B?

this was A:

Hov34

Doug B

Uncle Humuna

KillerNerd

Print Is Dead

zamboni

wildbill

Tremendous Upside

JuniorNB

Okay, I vote no categories . . .

this is a good idea
:goodposting:
:thumbup: Basically- If you don't like this band after this album, or these five songs, you wont like them. Good idea for the later rounds especially. I think most know who the Beatles are though.

Okay, I vote no categories . . .
:lmao:

Real Man of Genius

amnesiac

The Dreaded Marco

simey

Nigel Tufnel

who am i missing for B?

this was A:

Hov34

Doug B

Uncle Humuna

KillerNerd

Print Is Dead

zamboni

wildbill

Tremendous Upside

JuniorNB
Me, amongst others.

The problem with this, IMO, is that it might/would force drafters to pick artists that they are not familiar with or don't particularly like. To me, the main benefit of these drafts is to identify new music that sounds intriguing to me. The best way to identify that, IMO, is to have someone who is passionate about a certain band/album/song describe why they enjoy that particular music.
VERY :goodposting: Let me handle the 80s hair bands for that reason. :nerd:

Also, are there going to be genre requirements? Only so many "hard rock" bands per team, for instance.
i agree. one of the things i'm looking forward to most about this is seeing people pick bands they really like that i've never heard of.

Real Man of Genius

amnesiac

The Dreaded Marco

simey

Nigel Tufnel

who am i missing for B?

this was A:

Hov34

Doug B

Uncle Humuna

KillerNerd

Print Is Dead

zamboni

wildbill

Tremendous Upside

JuniorNB
DCThunder, TittyZilla, and John Maddens Lunchbox

Real Man of Genius

amnesiac

The Dreaded Marco

simey

Nigel Tufnel

who am i missing for B?

this was A:

Hov34

Doug B

Uncle Humuna

KillerNerd

Print Is Dead

zamboni

wildbill

Tremendous Upside

JuniorNB
Me, amongst others.
did you make a list? i may have missed it.

Real Man of Genius

amnesiac

The Dreaded Marco

simey

Nigel Tufnel

who am i missing for B?

this was A:

Hov34

Doug B

Uncle Humuna

KillerNerd

Print Is Dead

zamboni

wildbill

Tremendous Upside

JuniorNB
JZilla/Jethro Q. WalrustittyDCThunder

JuniorNB

zamboni

amnesiac

The Dreaded Marco

John Madden's Lunchbox

wildbill

Tremendous Upside

Hov34

Real Man of Genius

simey

Print Is Dead

Nigel Tufnel

Uncle Humuna

Doug B

KillerNerd

Real Man of Genius

amnesiac

The Dreaded Marco

simey

Nigel Tufnel

who am i missing for B?

this was A:

Hov34

Doug B

Uncle Humuna

KillerNerd

Print Is Dead

zamboni

wildbill

Tremendous Upside

JuniorNB
JZilla/Jethro Q. WalrustittyDCThunder

JuniorNB

zamboni

amnesiac

The Dreaded Marco

John Madden's Lunchbox

wildbill

Tremendous Upside

Hov34

Real Man of Genius

simey

Print Is Dead

Nigel Tufnel

Uncle Humuna

Doug B

KillerNerd
anyone see a list for dc or john madden somewhere in the thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nigel Tufnel

The Grateful Dead - "Terrapin Station"

Pink Floyd - "Sheep"

Lynyrd Skynyrd - "What's Your Name"

Steely Dan - "Josie"

Electric Light Orchestra - "Mr. Blue Sky"

Jackson Browne - "The Load-Out"

The Eagles - "Life in the Fast Lane"

Fleetwood Mac - "The Chain"

Kansas - "Point of Know Return"

Billy Joel - "Movin' Out (Anthony's Theme)"

Heart - "Kick it Out"

Parliament - "Bop Gun (Endangered Species)"

I think it'd be safe to say that Marco would abhor my list as it's very classic rock-heavy. I like it, though. Good times.
:confused: Actually, I like it quite a bit. I think you misconstrued my comments---sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant the classic rock wasn't as deep as other years (for me), so I decided to go with other genres. :shrug:

Nigel Tufnel

Pink Floyd - "Sheep"

Steely Dan - "Josie"

Heart - "Kick it Out"

I think it'd be safe to say that Marco would abhor my list as it's very classic rock-heavy.  I like it, though.  Good times.
:confused: Actually, I like it quite a bit. I think you misconstrued my comments---sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant the classic rock wasn't as deep as other years (for me), so I decided to go with other genres. :shrug:
:thumbup: Oh, okay. Cool. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth, I just thought you were down on classic rock. Glad you like it.

Nigel Tufnel

Pink Floyd - "Sheep"

Steely Dan - "Josie"

Heart - "Kick it Out"

I think it'd be safe to say that Marco would abhor my list as it's very classic rock-heavy.  I like it, though.  Good times.
:thumbup: Oh, okay. Cool. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth, I just thought you were down on classic rock. Glad you like it.
:banned: :banned: :thumbup:

1.07 John Maddens Lunchbox - Talking Heads - "Psycho Killer"

2.11 John Maddens Lunchbox - David Bowie - "Heroes"

3.07 John Maddens Lunchbox - Motorhead - "Motorhead"

4.11 John Maddens Lunchbox - Jean Michel Jarre - "Oxygene IV"

5.07 John Maddens Lunchbox - Randy Newman - "Short People"

6.11 John Maddens Lunchbox - Kraftwerk - "Showroom Dummies"

7.07 John Maddens Lunchbox - Al Stewart - "Year of the Cat"

8.11 John Maddens Lunchbox - Bill Conti - "Gonna Fly Now (Theme from Rocky)"

9.07 John Maddens Lunchbox - Rod Stewart - "Killing of Georgie (Part 1 & 2)"

10.11 John Maddens Lunchbox - The Stranglers - "London Lady"

11.07 John Maddens Lunchbox - Donna Summer - "I Feel Love"

12.11 John Maddens Lunchbox - Ultravox - Young Savage

Here's my set list:

Bee Gees -"Stayin' Alive"

Ted Nugent - "Cat Scratch Fever"

The Eagles -"New Kid In Town"

Hall & Oates -"Rich Girl"

Odyssey - "Native New Yorker"

Barbra Streisand - "Evergreen"

Sanford Townsend Band - "Smoke From a Distant Fire"

Atlanta Rhythm Section - "So Into You"

Rose Royce - "Car Wash"

ABBA - "Money, Money, Money"

Mary MacGregor - "Torn Between Two Lovers"

Rod Stewart - "You're In My Heart (The Final Aclaim)"

This won't win, but it's a classic line-up of songs on the radio in 1977.

Here's my set list:

Rose Royce - "Car Wash"

argh. i already did it.

I also had my eye on....

The Doobie Brothers- It Keeps You Running

Little River Band- Help Is On It's Way (Shut up, JM Lunchbox, that song is cool!)

Neil Diamond- Desiree

Paul Simon- Slip Slidin' Away

The Babys- Isn't It Time

Here's my set list:

Rose Royce - "Car Wash"

argh. i already did it.
sorry, bro.

Users who are viewing this thread