What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Art of Breadmaking. (1 Viewer)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
As I spend a large part of each year back in France with the wife's family, I became even more obsessed than I already was about bread.

I've made some great boules in the past, which always kept me satisfied. Mostly using a "fool proof" no knead recipe that's given me solid bread for many a moon.

Not french quality bread. But good.

For xmas my wife bought me the Tartine Bread book, and it has been life changing. Labour intensive. Time consuming. A tad bit confusing. All of the above.

But I can honestly tell you, I have never baked a better bread in my life, nor have I ever come so close to french bakery style breads in my life.

What say you? Are you a bread nut? Woul you rather buy? Any questions?

As I spend a large part of each year back in France with the wife's family, I became even more obsessed than I already was about bread.

I've made some great boules in the past, which always kept me satisfied. Mostly using a "fool proof" no knead recipe that's given me solid bread for many a moon.

Not french quality bread. But good.

For xmas my wife bought me the Tartine Bread book, and it has been life changing. Labour intensive. Time consuming. A tad bit confusing. All of the above.

But I can honestly tell you, I have never baked a better bread in my life, nor have I ever come so close to french bakery style breads in my life.

What say you? Are you a bread nut? Woul you rather buy? Any questions?
I bought a bread machine more than 10 yrs ago. It's been in the closet for 10 yrs

There is pretty much nothing better than still warm homemade bread imo. So good

You have a simple recipe for me that doesn't take an afternoon of kneading/resting that I can't screw up ?

You have a simple recipe for me that doesn't take an afternoon of kneading/resting that I can't screw up ?
that's definitely not the Tartine method, but yes, I do. 

Are you thinking more of a boule, or a pain de mie (french style sandwhich bread)?

Again, neither one will be mindblowing, but they're both absolutely delicious for what they're intended for.

No Knead Boule

I usually just halved this recipe to make one boule in a dutch oven pot. Pretty fool proof.

When I'm in a pinch Ill definitely revert back to this recipe... But it's day and night how good a bread w a homemade starter tastes, w proper resting and such.

This something I have wanted to get into since I like cooking and I like bread.  Plus, it can be hard to find good, fresh bread and I don't like buying the grocery store packaged bread.  This morning, for example, I wanted to make a bacon, egg and cheese but there is no fresh bread for a sandwich like that near me this morning.  I live in a city with pretty much anything within walking distance... except good, fresh bread. 

This something I have wanted to get into since I like cooking and I like bread.  Plus, it can be hard to find good, fresh bread and I don't like buying the grocery store packaged bread.  This morning, for example, I wanted to make a bacon, egg and cheese but there is no fresh bread for a sandwich like that near me this morning.  I live in a city with pretty much anything within walking distance... except good, fresh bread. 
You're in Manhattan, right? If so, it blows my head canon about NYC out of the water. I always envisioned fresh food of every type and ethnicity on every block, including 42,000 kinds of bread.

there was a show on netflix, i wish i remember the name... Ill post it when i remember. They had an episode on bread. REALLY made me think

The tartine method uses NO yeast. The yeast comes from your starter, your hands and the air. Flour, water, salt. Nothing else. 

What stuck out to me was this line : "real bread should make your mouth water when you chew it. Store bought breads usually dry it out"

And it's true. Never realized it. 

that's definitely not the Tartine method, but yes, I do. 

Are you thinking more of a boule, or a pain de mie (french style sandwhich bread)?

Again, neither one will be mindblowing, but they're both absolutely delicious for what they're intended for.

No Knead Boule

I usually just halved this recipe to make one boule in a dutch oven pot. Pretty fool proof.

When I'm in a pinch Ill definitely revert back to this recipe... But it's day and night how good a bread w a homemade starter tastes, w proper resting and such.
Thanks

No bread pan, huh?

Thanks

No bread pan, huh?
No, a bread pan you'd be looking at a pain de mie recipe (sandwhich bread)

You need a cast iron pot for several reasons for a boule, firdt6and foremost as the intense and enclosed heat allows the bread to spring better, and creates the steam in the pot that forms the crust

Right now I'm focusing my attention on perfecting my corn tortillas because I can always take a taco to the bank doughhan.
definitely something Id like to get into eventually...

but for me, bread is life. i cant live without it. and being able to get this quality of bread at home, has been life changing.

sure, you can spend 6-10$ on a solid boule from a bakery, but odds are this Tartine bread is STILL quite a bit better, fresher and best of all, you can use it as a pizza dough as well... did it last weekend.

Un. Be. Liev. Able.

What equipment do you recommend?  Is getting a bread maker worth it, or is it better using more traditional things like a pan?

What equipment do you recommend?  Is getting a bread maker worth it, or is it better using more traditional things like a pan?
imo, if you want "sandwich bread" then I guess a bread make is worth a shout. 

when I make sanwich bread I use a loaf pan, and nothing more. never had or used a bread maker.

For REAL deal bread, you'll need a cast iron pot (I suggest a 3.5-4L combo cooker, they're cheap), a good bench knife, and a scale. The rest is pretty standard kitchen stuff

imo, if you want "sandwich bread" then I guess a bread make is worth a shout. 

when I make sanwich bread I use a loaf pan, and nothing more. never had or used a bread maker.

For REAL deal bread, you'll need a cast iron pot (I suggest a 3.5-4L combo cooker, they're cheap), a good bench knife, and a scale. The rest is pretty standard kitchen stuff
I would like to make soft rolls, like for a burger, but also want "real" bread too, like loaf bread and harder, long rolls for sandwiches.  Not looking to make white bread to cut into slices for a sandwich.  I like Italian bread too, like a good roll you would use to make a real sandwich.

I love this th(b)read already. 

Foget keto, it's missing out.  
I’ve never been a big bread guy but do love a really good bread like Soulfly is talking about.  I’ve given up bread 99% of the time but will allow a cheat every once in a while for something I consider good bread.  I’ll still follow along as I’m always impressed by folks who can cook/bake.  You can have my share.

The tartine method uses NO yeast. The yeast comes from your starter, your hands and the air. Flour, water, salt. Nothing else. 
Doesn't the yeast in the air vary around the world?  I think I remember that there's a type of beer that's made without yeast in Belgium using the natural yeast in the air, but can't be made elsewhere because that type of yeast is specific to the area.

I’ve never been a big bread guy but do love a really good bread like Soulfly is talking about.  I’ve given up bread 99% of the time but will allow a cheat every once in a while for something I consider good bread.  I’ll still follow along as I’m always impressed by folks who can cook/bake.  You can have my share.
Woohoo! And fatter and fatter I get. Nah, I'm not that fat; I just dig good, fresh, hot, warm bread.

With butter.  

Oh God, I'm losing it.  Soulfly will promise you Josh Gordon and the best baked bread ever. Such modern sins.  

How much do you find that your ingredients matter?  We've felt like we had the perfect balance of great bread vs. amount of effort at times, only to have it fall apart when we change brand of flour, or a batch of yeast is different somehow.  We're rarely sure of what was wrong until we replace an ingredient and it all works again.

I do not own the Tartine book you're referencing, but I have had a sourdough starter going for a probably close to a year now and regularly bake Tartine recipes.  You are correct that you need very little in the way of kitchen tools to make great bread.  Just know how to use yeast (or another leavener for quick breads) or a starter, measure your ingredients, and don't over or under proof.  Baking, mostly breads and doughs, has become one of my biggest hobbies over the past few years.  It's incredibly satisfying, literally and figuratively.

Doesn't the yeast in the air vary around the world?  I think I remember that there's a type of beer that's made without yeast in Belgium using the natural yeast in the air, but can't be made elsewhere because that type of yeast is specific to the area.
It does. Funny enough, my wife's brewery is the FIRST in ontario (and maybe canada) to make a spontaneous ale using this belgian method. It's fantastic. 

The air generally gives the LEAST amount of yeast to the starter. Flour and your hands provide the most. 

That's the one. I love it. 

How much do you find that your ingredients matter?  We've felt like we had the perfect balance of great bread vs. amount of effort at times, only to have it fall apart when we change brand of flour, or a batch of yeast is different somehow.  We're rarely sure of what was wrong until we replace an ingredient and it all works again.
Hm, good question. I used both whole wheat and white flour that is locally made, and never anything else. The fresher the flour, the better, apparently. 

Honestly i think more than ANYTHING weighing your ingredients is the most important piece of all. A scale is vital, as measuring cups can vary in weight, per scoop, significantly

I have not had the problem you're experiencing when it comes to brands, but you will absolutely see differences if you use different types of flour.  Bread flour vs. AP flour vs. rye flour vs. whole wheat vs. 00 vs. whatever.  It's not a 1-for-1 substitute and the texture will be very different.

Where I see a problem sometimes is the heat and humidity of my kitchen affecting my starter.  I keep it in the fridge and refresh it once a week or whenever I plan on baking.  It will take more or less feedings depending on the temp and humidity to become strong enough to rise.....made that mistake once and ended up with a dense brick of bread.  Still tasted good though.

It does. Funny enough, my wife's brewery is the FIRST in ontario (and maybe canada) to make a spontaneous ale using this belgian method. It's fantastic. 

The air generally gives the LEAST amount of yeast to the starter. Flour and your hands provide the most. 
Your wife has a brewery in NOTL?  Name?  I'll take a PM.....

Your wife has a brewery in NOTL?  Name?  I'll take a PM.....
There are currently 3 breweries in NOTL, all of which are very good (though one, the most popular, caters more to the casual beer drinker)

Oast House, Silversmith, and The Exchange (where my wife applies her trade). The EXB is the most experimental, and caters more to the "beer snob" though the do have some accessible beers as well.

Silversmith is the mdidle ground. Mostly accessible beers that most people will enjoy. And as mentioned, Oast the most popular, and has the "easiest" beers to drink

ha. ya, well... that's nature. i always wash them before touching the dough, but apparently your hands carry natural yeasts
It’s fascinating following this thread. I never knew that.

May have to give this a try - love fresh bread.

It’s fascinating following this thread. I never knew that.

May have to give this a try - love fresh bread.
I have a loaf doing its final rise right now (3-4hrs total for this step) and then I'll be tossing it into my combo cooker in a 500degree oven.

Will post a photo that may convince some of you to put in the work, this evening.

(started at 8am today, currently 2pm)

"Simplified" Tartine Method

Adding this video as 1) it helps you understand the steps you'll have to take, but he's also simplified the process so it's much more time/effort friendly. I can't say I've used this method, but the video did help in showing me how to properly complete a few steps. It apparently work.

As well? Doubtful. But still quite good they say

I have a loaf doing its final rise right now (3-4hrs total for this step) and then I'll be tossing it into my combo cooker in a 500degree oven.

Will post a photo that may convince some of you to put in the work, this evening.

(started at 8am today, currently 2pm)

"Simplified" Tartine Method

Adding this video as 1) it helps you understand the steps you'll have to take, but he's also simplified the process so it's much more time/effort friendly. I can't say I've used this method, but the video did help in showing me how to properly complete a few steps. It apparently work.

As well? Doubtful. But still quite good they say
If I'm doing a Tartine-style sourdough, it's literally an all-day affair.  Truly have to take your time with stuff like this.

yup... all day. technically, longer... since you start the levain the night before (but takes 5min to do)
I sometimes let it go into 3 days if I want to slow-proof in the fridge overnight 12ish hours, but I usually don't do that.  Make the levain the night before, start the bread in the morning the next day, and you've got a loaf of bread that night.  Sometimes I don't have the patience or the time and I go for commercial yeast bread, which is fine but just not the same.

I've actually found the sourdough freezes very well.  I'll make 2 loaves at once and won't have to bake the next week.  Most bread freezes well I guess, but the sourdough keeps the nice crust.

I used to make a few breads here and there (brioche, focaccia, ciabatta, lavash, pizza dough) , but definitely not my culinary area of expertise.  Fresh bread can be amazing and can really elevate sandwiches.  Unfortunately, I do not eat a lot of carbs these days so do not make much at home, but truly can be an unearthly pleasure.

Kneaded your own thread huh? I give you props on this forum for your bread, the yeast you could do is use my thread. 
Really?   There is actually a knead for such a topic that warrants a knead for a response?  #### it....& #### Liverpool...just because.

just poached 2 eggs and palced them on top of a fresh slice.

it gets me every time. i always know how this bread will taste, but it still makes me smile

I have been experimenting with taking some of my brewing starters and mixing it in with my bread in place of the water that the recipe calls for. I definitely am enjoying the flavor and aromas it brings. 

The best sourdough I have made was basically a modification of soufly's recipe using my sourdough starter and beer starter. 

Just baked the 2nd loaf this morning

Always a bit more tang to the 2nd one, as it slow ferments in the fridge

Users who are viewing this thread