What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The biggest game of McNabb's career? (1 Viewer)

certificate

Footballguy
It's gotta be up there, maybe second to the Superbowl. Rightly or wrongly, he feels that he's been seriously dissed by his head coach, the media and his City this year. He performs well on the road, against the defending Super Bowl champions, he'll have answered his critics. If he lays an egg, he'll be playing for a different team next season.

He's been in a lot of big games, but I can't think of any with these kinds of personal ramifications.

certificate said:
It's gotta be up there, maybe second to the Superbowl. Rightly or wrongly, he feels that he's been seriously dissed by his head coach, the media and his City this year. He performs well on the road, against the defending Super Bowl champions, he'll have answered his critics. If he lays an egg, he'll be playing for a different team next season.He's been in a lot of big games, but I can't think of any with these kinds of personal ramifications.
McNabb is coming back win or loss... Superbowl is bigger.. I think the NFC Chanpionship to get to the SUperbowl was bigger because we had 3 straight losses before getting there.So I rank this 6th

To the McNabb haters, the game will be looked at one of two ways....

If the Eagles win, it will largely go unmentioned and it is just another meaningless win. Many will mention the Eagles stellar defense, or the way Brent Celek or Jason Avant stepped up, but nary a word about #5.

If the Eagles lose, it was a HUGE game, and proof once again that he can't win the big one.

To the McNabb haters, the game will be looked at one of two ways....If the Eagles win, it will largely go unmentioned and it is just another meaningless win. Many will mention the Eagles stellar defense, or the way Brent Celek or Jason Avant stepped up, but nary a word about #5.If the Eagles lose, it was a HUGE game, and proof once again that he can't win the big one.
Did you ever notice that 3-4 years ago, even if the defense wasn't playing well, and the running game wasn't working, that McNabb could carry the team on his back even given the historically bad receivers he's had excluding TO?Did you happen to notice that he doesn't and can't carry this team on his back anymore?That's not meant as a blistering attack, as by and large I think he hasn't gotten a fair shake with philly fans or with national media, but if you look at it from a media perspective, 5 needs a ring to get him in that "club" of QBs where the news coverage changes from probative to apologetic. Unfortunately for McNabb, the "biggest game of his career" was the superbowl where TO looked like the star, and Richard Seymour hit 5 so hard he was concussed, continued to play anyway, and puked on his shoes.

I don't understand why he is the subject of so much ire. He doesn't cause problems, has historically only had one season with a legit #1 WR, and has had more success than failure with his team with both good and bad defenses. Now we are saying that because he can't go out and carry his team with no help from the rest of the club that he is washed up. Perhaps the front office needs some blame here since he shouldn't have to be carrying this team all by himself anyway. Perhaps the rest of the NFL has figured out how to focus on shutting him down and with very little help surrounding him his job is a lot tougher.

I don't know if that is the case, but one thing is certain, the Eagles front office deserves a ton of blame for running an offense that passes over 60% of the time and putting their QB out there throwing to a bunch of backup WRs. I do think he has lost some of his magic and the fact that he doesn't run as much hurts his effectiveness as it makes one less thing defenses have to worry about, but give him a Fitzgerald type WR and he would be putting up crazy numbers and winning a lot more games.

I don't understand why he is the subject of so much ire. He doesn't cause problems, has historically only had one season with a legit #1 WR, and has had more success than failure with his team with both good and bad defenses. Now we are saying that because he can't go out and carry his team with no help from the rest of the club that he is washed up. Perhaps the front office needs some blame here since he shouldn't have to be carrying this team all by himself anyway. Perhaps the rest of the NFL has figured out how to focus on shutting him down and with very little help surrounding him his job is a lot tougher. I don't know if that is the case, but one thing is certain, the Eagles front office deserves a ton of blame for running an offense that passes over 60% of the time and putting their QB out there throwing to a bunch of backup WRs. I do think he has lost some of his magic and the fact that he doesn't run as much hurts his effectiveness as it makes one less thing defenses have to worry about, but give him a Fitzgerald type WR and he would be putting up crazy numbers and winning a lot more games.
I think he's far from being washed up. But I don't see the same play from him as I did 3-4 years ago.

I don't understand why he is the subject of so much ire. He doesn't cause problems, has historically only had one season with a legit #1 WR, and has had more success than failure with his team with both good and bad defenses. Now we are saying that because he can't go out and carry his team with no help from the rest of the club that he is washed up. Perhaps the front office needs some blame here since he shouldn't have to be carrying this team all by himself anyway. Perhaps the rest of the NFL has figured out how to focus on shutting him down and with very little help surrounding him his job is a lot tougher. I don't know if that is the case, but one thing is certain, the Eagles front office deserves a ton of blame for running an offense that passes over 60% of the time and putting their QB out there throwing to a bunch of backup WRs. I do think he has lost some of his magic and the fact that he doesn't run as much hurts his effectiveness as it makes one less thing defenses have to worry about, but give him a Fitzgerald type WR and he would be putting up crazy numbers and winning a lot more games.
:bow:But I still think this is one of, if not his biggest game.

I know its cliche, but he'll have to be mistake free today for the Eagles to win. certainly not the biggest game of his career.

I don't understand why he is the subject of so much ire. He doesn't cause problems, has historically only had one season with a legit #1 WR, and has had more success than failure with his team with both good and bad defenses. Now we are saying that because he can't go out and carry his team with no help from the rest of the club that he is washed up. Perhaps the front office needs some blame here since he shouldn't have to be carrying this team all by himself anyway. Perhaps the rest of the NFL has figured out how to focus on shutting him down and with very little help surrounding him his job is a lot tougher.

I don't know if that is the case, but one thing is certain, the Eagles front office deserves a ton of blame for running an offense that passes over 60% of the time and putting their QB out there throwing to a bunch of backup WRs. I do think he has lost some of his magic and the fact that he doesn't run as much hurts his effectiveness as it makes one less thing defenses have to worry about, but give him a Fitzgerald type WR and he would be putting up crazy numbers and winning a lot more games.
In no particular order:He's never gotten over in his opinions on the 30 dumb assed fans who booed him at the draft. He's thin skinned in a "passionate" city.

He doesn't respond well to media criticism and seems to have gotten worse.

A couple of time when he went down with an injury, his replacement (Feeley and Garcia) did as well as he did. This leads some to believe he is a product of a system.

He doesn't throw a short ball well.

He's black.

He's so tied to Coach Reid that any criticism of Reid is a criticism of McNabb. He gets double pummeled in this regard.

When he's losing, behind, or has lost....he doesn't show anger,fire or real concern. There is a public thought that he doesn't care. He's always smiling.

He came up short in the Super Bowl.

I'm a fan of number 5. I like the guy and these ideas aren't my own. They are just gathered from the various bars of the region during gameday, a number of games at The Link and countless hours listening to both 610WIP and 950.

Last edited by a moderator:

In no particular order:He's never gotten over in his opinions on the 30 dumb assed fans who booed him at the draft. He's thin skinned in a "passionate" city.

He doesn't respond well to media criticism and seems to have gotten worse.

A couple of time when he went down with an injury, his replacement (Feeley and Garcia) did as well as he did. This leads some to believe he is a product of a system.

He doesn't throw a short ball well.

He's black.

He's so tied to Coach Reid that any criticism of Reid is a criticism of McNabb. He gets double pummeled in this regard.

When he's losing, behind, or has lost....he doesn't show anger,fire or real concern. There is a public thought that he doesn't care. He's always smiling.

He came up short in the Super Bowl.

I'm a fan of number 5. I like the guy and these ideas aren't my own. They are just gathered from the various bars of the region during gameday, a number of games at The Link and countless hours listening to both 610WIP and 950.
I agree that he's a bit too thin-skinned for the Philadelphia area. He'd probably do great in cities like Minnesota or Miami, who's fans don't even care enough to fill their stadium for playoff games. Philly fans have an enormous amount of passion and McNabb does not take criticism well.I also agree with your statement that McNabb plays with a smile on his face and that I think it bugs Eagles fans. Hines Ward does the same thing in Pittsburgh and they love him for it. I guess it's just Philly fans thinking that the only way you care about an interceotion is if you look angry or sad after one.

While he did 'come up short' in the Super Bowl, a QB does that every year. Also, 30 QBs don't make it at all. As I stated in other threads, chances are, the Eagles will lose one of the three road games they have coming up. The odds are certainly tilted that way. And when that happens, the long string of wins in big games will be quickly forgotten and the only game that McNabb-haters will ever mention will be the one he loses. Not the 6 (or more) 'big games that he won to get them there. Such is life when you are the quarterback of a team with 'passionate' fans.

Eagle fans blame McNabb for every loss, regardless of his play. One only needs to look at yesterday's playoff performance by Jake Delhomme to see how some QBs react in big games. And Delhomme is probably in the upper 50% of the QBs in the league. Eagle fans want to run McNabb out of town, but it could be ten years until they get someone as consistant and good as he is. Because McNabb isn't Brady or Manning, his detractors think he sucks. What he is is a quarterback who is still one of the top ten in the league. In teh last seven weeks, he's easily top five. And they want him out. Wow.

Be very careful what you wish for.

McNabb has been blessed to be in a great O with a great set of coaches. The Eagles as a team have went how their D went. I can't remember these years where he carried the team. :confused:

Let's take a look at their points against in those great years...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/

Now let's look at McNabb's sack numbers (which killed a ton of drives in those great years).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/lead..._yds_active.htm

Here's a look at his 2nd best year in comp pct:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...mp;d-447263-p=1

He's an average QB in a QB friendly O. The criticisms are mostly valid. The people that love him have this mystifying belief that he carried the team at some point. They completely disregard the D he's had. He's played well but is a career 59% passer who took a ton of sacks most of his career. Being athletic and in a high percentage passing O make this unbelievable for a great QB. Add in he's a poor leader and the criticisms are definitely valid. I doubt anyone "hates" him. Well....not until he speaks anyway.

certificate said:
It's gotta be up there, maybe second to the Superbowl. Rightly or wrongly, he feels that he's been seriously dissed by his head coach, the media and his City this year. He performs well on the road, against the defending Super Bowl champions, he'll have answered his critics. If he lays an egg, he'll be playing for a different team next season.He's been in a lot of big games, but I can't think of any with these kinds of personal ramifications.
Seems like you're kind of caught in the moment here, which is not a knock or anything. But why is this game any bigger than the previous NFC Championship games he's played in before? It's not. Sure, it is a big game but every playoff game is a big game, and the further you advance the bigger the next game becomes. Sure, there has been a load of crap heaped on McNabb, as is always the case by Philly fans and media, but this is all the same ol story to the outsiders. In a way, I'm rooting for McNabb to succeed but I'd actually like to see him in another uniform next year, so I don't want him to win a title for the ungrateful Philly fans. You guys will miss him when he's gone. Good luck with Kolb running your team instead of McNabb........Yikes!

You know, this is really disturbing how some Philly fans seem to think that its some sort of badge of honor to be unfairly hard on their best/brightest players. Instead of giving them the support and encouragement that they need to thrive, you want to boo, bash, and critique at every turn when things aren't going perfect (in your minds). Call me different, but this is a somewhat sick and twisted mentality.

Sports is not supposed to be about this type of tough love, support your players and who knows, they just might bring home a championship for you......FINALLY!

I still hope McNabb walks though, to MINN, CHI, or elsewhere where he will be appreciated. The way he slipped all those pressures vs. MINN, if he was my QB that wouldn't go unnoticed. Subtle things like that are not that easy for QBs to do, and once he's gone you will all realize that. Have any of you Philly fans even acknowledged how well McNabb played in that playoff (road) game, helping deliver you a big win?

I still hope McNabb walks though, to MINN, CHI, or elsewhere where he will be appreciated. The way he slipped all those pressures vs. MINN, if he was my QB that wouldn't go unnoticed. Subtle things like that are not that easy for QBs to do, and once he's gone you will all realize that. Have any of you Philly fans even acknowledged how well McNabb played in that playoff (road) game, helping deliver you a big win?
The truth is, if you read the Eagles 2008 thread, 90% of the Eagles fans have most-definitely acknowledged his great play in that game (23-34, 300 yards for those keeping score) and have also recognized how well he's played, in general, in the eagles current 6-1 run. Of course, the 2 or 3 fans who just blindly hate the guy would never concede that. Instead, the wins are always due to their defense and the losses are because of him.Since the odds are stacked against the Eagles winning three more road games, it should be hilarious to hear those faux-fans have a field day when Philly finally loses. You can bet his 10:2 TD?INT ratio in his last seven 'big games' will never get mentioned. Just a lot of 'always chokes during the big game' BS.

I can hardly wait. :thumbdown:

The truth is, if you read the Eagles 2008 thread, 90% of the Eagles fans have most-definitely acknowledged his great play in that game (23-34, 300 yards for those keeping score) and have also recognized how well he's played, in general, in the eagles current 6-1 run. Of course, the 2 or 3 fans who just blindly hate the guy would never concede that. Instead, the wins are always due to their defense and the losses are because of him.Since the odds are stacked against the Eagles winning three more road games, it should be hilarious to hear those faux-fans have a field day when Philly finally loses. You can bet his 10:2 TD?INT ratio in his last seven 'big games' will never get mentioned. Just a lot of 'always chokes during the big game' BS.

I can hardly wait. :rolleyes:
Junior you seem like a pretty cool guy and one of the few Eagles fans I can tolerate........ :unsure: . However, you seem to take things on this message board very personally at time. Notably, things posted by a few select Eagles fans on this board. I would suggest you just ignore them rather than throw out personal insults.To the point of this thread, this is absolutely not the biggest game of his career. The superbowl was the biggest game and the next superbowl that he plays in will become the biggest game at that point. I wasn't a big McNabb fan in the past but he's starting to win me over this year. The guy has done everything he's supposed to on and off the field and I think he's the PRIMARY reason the Eagles have a legitimate shot to win it all this year. And if the Eagles lose today, he is absolutely coming back as the starting qb of the Eagles next year. He's proven his worth to the franchise already.

As an Eagles hater, I hope I'm wrong about that last point and I really do hope they go with Kolb next season......... :lmao:

certificate said:
Seems like you're kind of caught in the moment here, which is not a knock or anything. But why is this game any bigger than the previous NFC Championship games he's played in before? It's not. Sure, it is a big game but every playoff game is a big game, and the further you advance the bigger the next game becomes. Sure, there has been a load of crap heaped on McNabb, as is always the case by Philly fans and media, but this is all the same ol story to the outsiders. In a way, I'm rooting for McNabb to succeed but I'd actually like to see him in another uniform next year, so I don't want him to win a title for the ungrateful Philly fans. You guys will miss him when he's gone. Good luck with Kolb running your team instead of McNabb........Yikes!
Even if he puts up a 40 QB rating in the Superbowl, he's got a lot more years in Philadelphia. He's at the top of his game, and getting MVP that season and the preceding NFCCG seasons.This year, it's different, his future is unknown.

I can hardly wait. :rolleyes:
Junior you seem like a pretty cool guy and one of the few Eagles fans I can tolerate........ :boxing: . However, you seem to take things on this message board very personally at time. Notably, things posted by a few select Eagles fans on this board. I would suggest you just ignore them rather than throw out personal insults.As an Eagles hater, I hope I'm wrong about that last point and I really do hope they go with Kolb next season......... :lmao:
:goodposting: I am a really cool guy. I can do the robot and everything. You are totally correct, though. I have definitely allowed a few of the negative 'fans' ( :rolleyes: ) to get under my skin. I would expect that in a 'why I hate the Eagles' or a 'Cowboys 2008' thread, but the same few dudes bring their negativity to every single Eagles thread there is, and they do it under the guise of being Eagles fans. I believe there's a time and a place for everything, and mcnabb certainly deserved criticism for his play in the Cincinnati and Baltimore games, but right now? When they are in the midst of a remarkable run of good play and opponents' luck that has put them where they are? I don't recall seeing too many anti-Eli posts when the Giants were making their unlikely run last year. Certainly not from Giants fans.

Oh well. In an ideal world, I'd let stuff like that roll off my back and only pay attention to positive and real fans. I'm not perfect.

Now, go Eagles!

Also, the fact that, as an Eagles hater, you want to see McNabb leave, speaks volumes. :thumbup:

certificate said:
It's gotta be up there, maybe second to the Superbowl. Rightly or wrongly, he feels that he's been seriously dissed by his head coach, the media and his City this year. He performs well on the road, against the defending Super Bowl champions, he'll have answered his critics. If he lays an egg, he'll be playing for a different team next season.

He's been in a lot of big games, but I can't think of any with these kinds of personal ramifications.
Even if he puts up a 40 QB rating in the Superbowl, he's got a lot more years in Philadelphia. He's at the top of his game, and getting MVP that season and the preceding NFCCG seasons.This year, it's different, his future is unknown.
:goodposting:

Regardless of how he does in the game McNabb will be criticized more on this board this offseason than Jake Delhomme.

Users who are viewing this thread