What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Election That Could Break America (1 Viewer)

Trump is exploiting the current crisis by questioning the integrity of the election, by denouncing mail-in ballots, by undercutting the post office, by funneling taxpayer funds to his friends and supporters in big pharma and Hollywood, by inciting civil unrest, and by holding super-spreader rallies in swing states, which will help to ensure that the COVID chaos is still rampant on Election Day.
He is reserving his right to challenge  the election.   You know like gore did.   
First off: Gore didn't challenge the election. (He got an injunction before the mandatory recount was even completed. Gore didn't make any challenges after the election was certified.)

Second: Republicans vilified Gore in 2000. By defending Trump here, his supporters are admitting that their criticism of Gore in 2000 was nothing more than disingenuous partisan hackery.

Third, and most importantly: none of this changes the fact that Trump is absolutely and blatantly following the mantra of "never waste a good crisis." He is exploiting this crisis for all that it is worth (to him). He's doing exactly what Trump supporters claim to despise.

He is reserving his right to challenge  the election.   You know like gore did.   

If the democrats vote harvesting  schemes work it may be a stolen election.    Biden has sarogates saying not to concede.  Both sides have lawyers circling for court challenges.   

You may have missed that.   
Perhaps you could elaborate on these vote harvesting schemes.

Also, “surrogates”.

Perhaps you could elaborate on these vote harvesting schemes.
Ballot harvesting is a real issue. The tactic itself is legal in most jurisdictions, but it is easily exploited -- as we saw in 2018 when Republicans tried to steal a House primary in North Carolina.

The scheme is pretty simple: you volunteer to drop off ballots for absentee voters, then you either destroy the ballot (if the person already voted for your opponent), or you fill out the ballot yourself (to vote for your guy).

There are a couple of easy options for reducing the likelihood of fraud, though: provide more drop-boxes throughout the community, and provide free postage for mail-in ballots.

From your govtrack link for those too lazy (or in denial) to follow up...

Ranked most liberal compared to All Senators

Our unique ideology analysis assigns a score to Members of Congress according to their legislative behavior by how similar the pattern of bills and resolutions they cosponsor are to other Members of Congress.
Kamala Harris was 3rd most absent in votes compared to All Senators
Harris missed 61.9% of votes (265 of 428 votes) in 2019.

Wow.   Didn't realize that.   What did she spend all of her time in '19 doing if not being present in the Senate?    I suppose campaigning is the answer. 

This isn't specific to Harris, but I do wonder what would happen to all of us on this board if we were absent from any of our obligations 61.9% of the time  (parenting, business owner, employee, spouse, managing our FF team, whatever).   

Last edited by a moderator:
Kamala Harris was 3rd most absent in votes compared to All Senators
Harris missed 61.9% of votes (265 of 428 votes) in 2019.

Wow.   Didn't realize that.   What did she spend all of her time in '91 doing if not being present in the Senate?    I suppose campaigning is the answer. 

This isn't specific to Harris, but I do wonder what would happen to all of us on this board if we were absent from any of our obligations 61.9% of the time  (parenting, business owner, employee, spouse, managing our FF team, whatever).   
Agree completely.  That's why a lot of folks are pissed at Trump for golfing more than any other President in history.  Especially after he mocked Obama for golfing.

Dan Rather:

There is no more time for silence. There is no more time for choosing party over country. There is no more time for weighing the lesser of two evils. All women and men of conscience must speak or they are complicit in America lurching towards a dangerous cliff of autocracy and chaos.

This is a moment of reckoning unlike any I have seen in my lifetime. I have seen this country in deep peril, as the hungry begged for sustenance during the Great Depression, as the Nazis marched across Europe and the Japanese across Asia, as missiles were moved into Cuba, as our political leaders were murdered, as a president ran a criminal conspiracy from the Oval Office, as planes were hijacked into skyscrapers. All of these were scary times, but through it all I never worried about a president actively undermining American democracy and inciting violence to do so - even Nixon, for all of his criminal activity.

What Donald Trump said today are the words of a dictator. To telegraph that he would consider becoming the first president in American history not to accept the peaceful transfer of power is not a throw-away line. It's not a joke. He doesn't joke. And it is not prospective. The words are already seeding a threat of violence and illegitimacy into our electoral process.

I suspect he is doing this because he feels he needs to. It is the same reason he sought dirt on Joe Biden, because he is deeply afraid of losing. Losing an election could mean losing in a court of law. It could mean prison time and ruin. But I suspect Trump's motives are more instinctual. He needs to hold on to power for the sake of power. He cannot lose, even if he has to cheat to win. Even if he has to blow up American democracy. He considers little if any about 200,000 plus deaths from COVID. Why would he care about our Constitution or Bill of Rights?

There is no sugarcoating the dangers and darkness we live in. But I remain heartened that the majority of Americans do not want this. Trump is in danger of losing states that he should be winning handily. Yes, his base is energized and numerous. But so is the opposition. I have seen opposition parties in foreign countries channel the morality of their causes to bring great change. And most of those opposition movements didn't have the strength, power, and resources of those who stand against Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has himself defined the stakes of the election. This is a battle for American democracy as we've known it. We are well past warning shots. Allies across the political spectrum are ringing alarm bells. Right now, all those seeking to defeat Donald Trump know winning a close election may not be enough. The size of a victory will likely matter. Failing that, what happens? I don't know. But I would say we all should try to remain steady. Try to conserve our energy for the battles ahead. Be committed to your community, your country, and your conscience. If enough Americans of decency and courage come together, the future of this nation can be better, fairer, and more just.
If this statement were have to been put out by many other high profile individuals, it would have a lot more meaning.     Coming from Dan Rather, who flushed all of his integrity down the toilet, it means very little.     There are many good words here, but the messenger stains them.

Ballot harvesting is a real issue. The tactic itself is legal in most jurisdictions, but it is easily exploited -- as we saw in 2018 when Republicans tried to steal a House primary in North Carolina.

The scheme is pretty simple: you volunteer to drop off ballots for absentee voters, then you either destroy the ballot (if the person already voted for your opponent), or you fill out the ballot yourself (to vote for your guy).

There are a couple of easy options for reducing the likelihood of fraud, though: provide more drop-boxes throughout the community, and provide free postage for mail-in ballots.
Plenty of schemes out there.    Some as simple as handing out a pack of smokes

I believe when this narrator with the British accent says "We can now reveal for the first time",   what he really means is he is regurgitating old news that anybody who can read was aware of 4 years ago.      Brad Parscale assembled an analytics team that served throughout the Trump campaign in '15 and '16 -->  old news

Why pay high fees to lawyers when Hillary can simply turn to her proven team of political thugs and disinformation agents at a much lower cost?
as long as the DNC can find votes 2-3 months after election ... that's their goal. They want to know after the election how many votes they're shy, and they're going to "go find them"

amazing they're so bold as to even say it 

as long as the DNC can find votes 2-3 months after election ... that's their goal. They want to know after the election how many votes they're shy, and they're going to "go find them"

I used to think that these Project Veritas videos were designed for people who have no awareness of concepts such as "laws" or "precedent" or "the Constitution."

I used to, and I still do.

I used to think that these Project Veritas videos were designed for people who have no awareness of concepts such as "laws" or "precedent" or "the Constitution."

I used to, and I still do.
You can slander Veritas but it doesn't change the admissions made by the multiple individuals in the concealed camera videos.     These are snippets of raw truth about the pure sleaze that slithers around behind the scenes in our modern politics. 

That's an incredibly stupid goal then since we know the election has to be certified by Dec 14th.  We're aware of the Constitution mandates this right?

Last edited by a moderator:

That's an incredibly stupid goal then since we know the election has to be certified by Dec 14th.  We're aware of the Constitution mandates this right?
Please do not use "we" so lightly. ;)

Anyway, the Constitution does not mandate the 12/14 deadline; it only mandates that the President's term will end on 1/20.

There are other laws which mandate the Electoral College deadline, but they could, in theory, be changed.

Stealthy is pulling theories out of mid-air here.

Anyway, the Constitution does not mandate the 12/14 deadline; it only mandates that the President's term will end on 1/20.

There are other laws which mandate the Electoral College deadline, but they could, in theory, be changed.

It's in law that the "the monday after the second Wednesday" is specified?  Not the Constitution?

I signed up to vote by mail in PA because I was worried about lack of volunteers, fewer polling places, long lines and other general voter suppression tricks.  Now I'm thinking I need to vote in person because Trump is going to try to invalidate my mail in vote.  I'm a registered independent but I think we just can't allow this "administration" to go on for another four years.
Are you sure you’re able to vote in-person if a mail-in ballot was formally requested?

It's in law that the "the monday after the second Wednesday" is specified?  Not the Constitution?
"the first Monday after the second Wednesday in December" is the verbiage from a 1948 law, but it's not in the Constitution.

That date could be changed without a Constitutional amendment, but of course it would require swift action by both houses. 

"the first Monday after the second Wednesday in December" is the verbiage from a 1948 law, but it's not in the Constitution.

That date could be changed without a Constitutional amendment, but of course it would require swift action by both houses. 
Thanks.....Learned something new.  I thought it was in the Constitution.  Apologies for the misinformation...made a mistake.

Are you sure you’re able to vote in-person if a mail-in ballot was formally requested?
I haven't gotten the mail-in ballot so WhoTF knows at this point.  I remember seeing something about voting in person with a provisional ballot or something but I'm not sure.  I was thinking that I should check into this, thanks for the reminder.

I just hope the GOP "find" more votes than the DNC "finds" 

Yep ... that's where we are I'm afraid :(  

Users who are viewing this thread