What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Goldbergs - TV Show on ABC (2 Viewers)

Agree it started a bit slow, but I'm ready to proclaim this a great show.

And the music is awesome.

Is anyone else bugged by the fudging they do with the 80's timeline? It seems the show takes place in an entire decade, rather than a particular year/part of the decade, jumping around from reference to reference. Compared, to say, Freaks & Geeks that was clearly set in the 1981-ish time period. "That 70's Show" may have done the same thing as The Goldbergs, but I only watched it occasionally.

Maybe it's because I'm a child of the 80's, that grew up in the same area the show is set and the creator is from, I am more aware of it and feel like they need to be more respectful of the timeline :ph34r:

ETA: Ok, so it's not only me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree it started a bit slow, but I'm ready to proclaim this a great show.

And the music is awesome.
I hate using this word but the show is cute. I really like it and hope it gets renewed.
It is but that's not a bad thing. I hope this goes for awhile. It gives you a good feeling after watching it.
Ha yup. And get the "cute" thing too. Find myself a little choked up at the end when the music kicks in and everything gets wrapped up.

I love that the most random stuff they have in the house. The lion in Adam's room is the same one I had as a kid. They had a multi-colored blanket on last nights episode that we used to have as well.

Is anyone else bugged by the fudging they do with the 80's timeline? It seems the show takes place in an entire decade, rather than a particular year/part of the decade, jumping around from reference to reference. Compared, to say, Freaks & Geeks that was clearly set in the 1981-ish time period. "That 70's Show" may have done the same thing as The Goldbergs, but I only watched it occasionally.

Maybe it's because I'm a child of the 80's, that grew up in the same area the show is set and the creator is from, I am more aware of it and feel like they need to be more respectful of the timeline :ph34r:

It's a fictional comedy. It's primary purpose is to be funny. It also has a secondary purpose to be nostalgic. Those are the two reasons why most people will watch it.

While there could be some purpose in it being historically accurate, most people don't care. They want to laugh and remember, not sit there and figure out if it could have actually happened like that.

It's a fictional comedy. It's primary purpose is to be funny. It also has a secondary purpose to be nostalgic. Those are the two reasons why most people will watch it.

While there could be some purpose in it being historically accurate, most people don't care. They want to laugh and remember, not sit there and figure out if it could have actually happened like that.
Exactly. If its a show like the Americans that is trying to establish a serious drama set during the 80's, timeline matters. For something like this, it's all about the nostalgia.

:goodposting: I'm watching it for the :lmao: not to see if it is historically accurate..

• Smile
Reactions: RBM

Doesn't bother me at all. 1980-something covers it enough.

Did you know that the Mario Bros. aren't even real? For three years I thought they were the kids across the street.

:lmao:

I love the home videos they show at the end with the real life characters.
I love those as well, but I've gotten into the bad habit of trying to figure out what the "reality" is they are going to show at the end. Last night, I desperately wanted to see his dad poorly acting in a home movie.

Still killing it. Plus they had Hextalls goal in there. What's not to love.
Maybe they'll get a shot of Lindbergh's Porsche too...
Bad taste, man.
too soon?

I really hated the Flyers back then...was at Hextall's first game, and hated how he banged the pipes right from the start of his career.

Buddy of mine was from just outside Philly, and he and his family might as well have been the inspiration for the Goldbergs.

Bugs me all the time - not just for this show. Especially when a song is used that came out after the year in question.

Still, I like the show enough that I've come to grips with the "1980-something" line even if they do it to cover up lazy research.

Still killing it. Plus they had Hextalls goal in there. What's not to love.
Maybe they'll get a shot of Lindbergh's Porsche too...
Bad taste, man.
too soon?

I really hated the Flyers back then...was at Hextall's first game, and hated how he banged the pipes right from the start of his career.

Buddy of mine was from just outside Philly, and he and his family might as well have been the inspiration for the Goldbergs.
Trust me, I'm a diehard Rangers fan. And if I think it's rough to joke about poor Pelle, you know it's bad.

Bugs me all the time - not just for this show. Especially when a song is used out that came out after the year in question.

Still, I like the show enough that I've come to grips with the "80-something" line to cover up lazy research.
Last night's episode:

Royal Wedding: 1981

We're Not Gonna Take It: 1984 :hot:

Bugs me all the time - not just for this show. Especially when a song is used out that came out after the year in question.

Still, I like the show enough that I've come to grips with the "80-something" line to cover up lazy research.
Last night's episode:

Oof

Bugs me all the time - not just for this show. Especially when a song is used out that came out after the year in question.Still, I like the show enough that I've come to grips with the "80-something" line to cover up lazy research.
Last night's episode:

1980 something. Its like our own memories. "When did that happen? Eh whatever"

Bugs me all the time - not just for this show. Especially when a song is used out that came out after the year in question.Still, I like the show enough that I've come to grips with the "80-something" line to cover up lazy research.
Last night's episode:

Not if you're a pop culture/music snob. :coffee:

zamboni said:
Insein said:

Last night's episode:

Not if you're a pop culture/music snob. :coffee:
Really doesn't bother me too much. My wife on the other hand...

Yeah, totally not bothered by the timeline conflicts. It's not lazy research they just don't want to be locked into a continuity based on where they start the show from. I'm fine with them jumping around, even when it created conflicts in individual episodes.

Yeah, totally not bothered by the timeline conflicts. It's not lazy research they just don't want to be locked into a continuity based on where they start the show from. I'm fine with them jumping around, even when it created conflicts in individual episodes.
:goodposting:

Missed most of season one but all-in now.
Same here. Only saw 2 episodes from last season as reruns (karate and presidential fitness test) but have set the DVR to record all of this season.

It's like a less serious Wonder Years.
Did you happen to notice who directed this week's episode? Fred Savage. Too lazy to look up whether if he was a guest, or the permanent director.

I also can't say enough about how much I enjoy watching this with my eight year old son. It's sparked many great conversations about things that are both different and the same growing up then vs. now.

Plus little gems like last night when Beverly is doing the Facts of Life theme and has bleeped out "the facts of ####### life." My son looks over with wide eyes and big smile and excitedly says, "She dropped an F-bomb on him!"

I also can't say enough about how much I enjoy watching this with my eight year old son. It's sparked many great conversations about things that are both different and the same growing up then vs. now.

Plus little gems like last night when Beverly is doing the Facts of Life theme and has bleeped out "the facts of ####### life." My son looks over with wide eyes and big smile and excitedly says, "She dropped an F-bomb on him!"
They really do a great job with the bleeped remarks. Especially from the mom.

It wasn't until halfway through the first season that I realized the mom was in Bridesmaids. Such a completely different character, and it made me admire even more the job she does on this show.

Missed most of season one but all-in now.
Same here. Only saw 2 episodes from last season as reruns (karate and presidential fitness test) but have set the DVR to record all of this season.

It's like a less serious Wonder Years.
Did you happen to notice who directed this week's episode? Fred Savage. Too lazy to look up whether if he was a guest, or the permanent director.
Find the season finale from last season...Its a Sweater Party ! Then the kiss conversation with Lanie makes sense...

Well, they do say it was 1980something
:goodposting:

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Love this show.
Ok, I bit my tongue on this, but since this came up again in the thread, and then also the mention of the Hextall goal: there was a whole plot around the Flyers game where Hextall scored and the very-special Love Boat/Fantasy Island crossover episode happening at basically the same time. They happened 7 years apart! SEVEN YEARS!!!!! And they were both memorable moments in my childhood. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Ok, that feels better. Still love the show :P

Well, they do say it was 1980something
:goodposting: Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Love this show.
Ok, I bit my tongue on this, but since this came up again in the thread, and then also the mention of the Hextall goal: there was a whole plot around the Flyers game where Hextall scored and the very-special Love Boat/Fantasy Island crossover episode happening at basically the same time. They happened 7 years apart! SEVEN YEARS!!!!! And they were both memorable moments in my childhood. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Ok, that feels better. Still love the show :P
I knew someone was going here.

Users who are viewing this thread