What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The {insert football team here} are on the clock. 2025 1.01 (1 Viewer)

General Malaise

Footballguy
Who gets the first pick in the 2025 draft?

I'll start.

Carolina Panthers. I haven't seen a professional football team this ill-prepared to play a game than this one. They got abused yesterday. There was nothing good to report from their team. Bryce Young's first two passes were so bad that air traffic control had to report them.

Honorable mention: NY Giants. That coach is going to get fired before October. Did you see the interception Daniel Jones threw to Van Ginkel? How does that happen at this level of football?

Who gets the first pick in the 2025 draft?

I'll start.

Carolina Panthers. I haven't seen a professional football team this ill-prepared to play a game than this one. They got abused yesterday. There was nothing good to report from their team. Bryce Young's first two passes were so bad that air traffic control had to report them.

Honorable mention: NY Giants. That coach is going to get fired before October. Did you see the interception Daniel Jones threw to Van Ginkel? How does that happen at this level of football?
It would be the Giants. If the Panthers did not exist.

But Daboll and Schoen will not last the season. I’d almost be surprised if there’s not Twitter footage of Schoen in the parking lot this morning with a cardboard box full of his crap after the debut Saquon had in Brazil.

Definitely looks like the Panthers right now. I liked Dave Canales and I'm glad he got a head coaching job. Also think it was addition by subtraction for the Bucs. Liam Coen's offense was next level yesterday. Unfortunately for Tampa he'll probably be up for head coaching jobs after this season as well.

Who is the presumptive #1 college QB ATM?
Carolina will trade down since there isn't a bonafide No 1
Besides the Panthers already have their franchise QB
They invested at least two 1st round picks for Bryce Young, you can't close the book on him at the start of Week 2 in his 2nd NFL season
Bryce is just about 18 months from the conversation switching to extension like some other QBs we've seen in recent years, gonna be exciting to see this kid climb that mountain

As I wrote in another thread, it might be time for Carolina to secede from the NFL and play somewhere else
Tepper should be the poster child for the 10-year rule
31-68 now, you go 10 years and don't make the Playoffs as an owner then you are forced to sell the team and step down
It's not fair to the fan bases that are held hostage in these cities

I'm desperate for a franchise QB in Vegas, but should I even want them to tank for Ewers, Beck...Shedeur (please not Shedeur)?

They invested at least two 1st round picks for Bryce Young, you can't close the book on him at the start of Week 2 in his 2nd NFL season
Bryce is just about 18 months from the conversation switching to extension like some other QBs we've seen in recent years, gonna be exciting to see this kid climb that mountain

As I wrote in another thread, it might be time for Carolina to secede from the NFL and play somewhere else
31-68 now, you go 10 years and don't make the Playoffs as an owner then you are forced to sell the team and step down

You might not be closing the book on Young, but I am. I'm not sure if you watched yesterday's game, but his first two passing attempts were all I needed to see to take the book back to the library. I don't think he makes it through week 8 this season. The last QB I watched that was this bad was Ben DeNucci.

Agreed on Tepper. He's a thin-skinned, wanna-be Bobby Axelrod without the hair or cleverness.

Disagree here.

They did invest a lot, but it won't be Week 2 of his 2nd season. By draft time, it will be a full 2 years in and if we see no drastic improvement, I do feel like they would move on.

Also don't think he can climb the mountain. Some QBs just don't work out at the next level. He's so little, the skeptics might be right on him.

Hit the reset button if there's no improvement this year. And if they have the #1 pick, might be looking that way.

Probably Ewers. YOu can't count out Beck or Sanders though. This draft has 3 "A-" type qb's, and there's a chance none of them go top 3. But QBs always seem to creep up at the draft no matter what.

Those 3 all kind of close enough that we'll have to see how they do the rest of the season. Either way, NYG and CAR should be ready to admit their mistakes and draft 2 of those 3 guys.

Washington should be in the mix as well. 32nd ranked defense in points and yards last year and somehow they looked even worse than that yesterday.

Has to be Carolina. No team was more ill prepared to play yesterday than the Panthers.

Yeah, that was about as bad as I've ever seen from an NFL team. I'm trying to think of one positive thing to say, but what I watched was total ineptitude from start to finish.

I'm desperate for a franchise QB in Vegas, but should I even want them to tank for Ewers, Beck...Shedeur (please not Shedeur)?

This is why Atlanta took Peniz right after signing Cousins. They knew Cousins was maybe good for a year or two but also knew the draft class this year would be crap.

Yup, not lookin so dumb now, are they? They need to play him, though. Cousins was easily one of the biggest disappointments in football yesterday. All that fire power on offense and they just looked languid.

Panthers, then Giants for sure. Good Lord those teams are awful. Both can be associated with awful QB decisions as well.
LV and Cleveland not far behind(QB issues as well), and Clev has to stick with their man, he is guaranteed all the cash coming up. HAHAHA!!!
Cousins looked awful, ATL might be going to Pennix a lot earlier than planned.
I'd think LV would be on the only team to take Sanders in the first round, he is ruining his chances in the NFL already, mouthing off, throwing teammates under the bus. Jerry Jones got his QB signed, Davis might be the only egotistical owner left who would want a jabroni like Sanders.

Cam Ward would look awfully good in silver and black.....
They might be a little gun shy after drafting Young #1 overall. They may instead turn their attention to a big name free agent. But who would want to go there?
As of right now, there are no big name free agent QBs. It's a murderers row of Russ, Fields, Darnold, Zach Wilson, Heinecke, Mac Jones, and Jameis. Good luck with that...

They might be a little gun shy after drafting Young #1 overall. They may instead turn their attention to a big name free agent. But who would want to go there?
As of right now, there are no big name free agent QBs. It's a murderers row of Russ, Fields, Darnold, Zach Wilson, Heinecke, Mac Jones, and Jameis. Good luck with that...
Unfortunately for them then. If they draft another bust it will set them back another decade.

Unfortunately for them then. If they draft another bust it will set them back another decade.
Yep. This free agent class is awful and the rookie QB class is legitimately 1-2 dudes, none of which are #1 overall worthy. Of course, the demand will probably have 3-4 taken in the 1st round of which a predictable number will flat out bust. It's one of the reasons why I was an advocate of Vegas trading up to get a QB before/during the draft. They have the bones of a good team without any semblance of a QB and a rookie QB would have been more of a difference maker than Bowers. Now, they are likely into 2026 before being able to grab a rookie or FA QB and most of their good players will be off of rookie contracts or just plain gone.

This is why Atlanta took Peniz right after signing Cousins. They knew Cousins was maybe good for a year or two but also knew the draft class this year would be crap.
I have never been more disappointed getting sniped in a draft, real or fantasy then when Atlanta did that. I thought for sure Penix was going to be a Raider.

I'm a ride-or-die Lowe's man now.

Yup, not lookin so dumb now, are they? They need to play him, though. Cousins was easily one of the biggest disappointments in football yesterday. All that fire power on offense and they just looked languid.
Give some credit to TJ and the Steelers defense. They're for real.

This Panthers team might legitimately be one of the worst rosters ever assembled. They have drafted poorly, haven't made good signings, shipped off all their elite talent and just lost their best player, Derrick Brown, for the season.

Going winless is so rare but I would be floored if they win more than 2 games.

As

As a Raiders fan I would be thrilled with Fields ATM. At least he's still young and clearly has NFL caliber physical tools; unlike the murderers row of mediocrity and moustaches currently in their QB room.

the rookie QB class is legitimately 1-2 dudes, none of which are #1 overall worthy
Who don't you like out of Beck, Sanders, and Ewers?
Mostly Sanders. He's a guy that will be taken too high and with the attitude that's currently being displayed, he won't be on an NFL roster for very long. I also believe Coach PrimeTime will want to follow him into the NFL in a coordinator role, but that's pure speculation on my part.
I'm not 100% sold on Ewers either, but I'd like to reserve judgment until I see more of him this season.

As

As a Raiders fan I would be thrilled with Fields ATM. At least he's still young and clearly has NFL caliber physical tools; unlike the murderers row of mediocrity and moustaches currently in their QB room.
That's not going to happen with Getsy on the staff. They played nice in Chicago, but they will never work together again. Mark that down.

the rookie QB class is legitimately 1-2 dudes, none of which are #1 overall worthy
Who don't you like out of Beck, Sanders, and Ewers?
Mostly Sanders. He's a guy that will be taken too high and with the attitude that's currently being displayed, he won't be on an NFL roster for very long. I also believe Coach PrimeTime will want to follow him into the NFL in a coordinator role, but that's pure speculation on my part.
I'm not 100% sold on Ewers either, but I'd like to reserve judgment until I see more of him this season.
I am vehemently against the Raiders going after Shedeur simply because of the circus that will follow him.

Deion is exactly the same prima Donna distraction machine as a coach as he was as a player. The difference is he had Hall of Fame talent to back it up as a player. As a coach the early returns aren't good now that he's out of the SWAC and playing in the Big 12.

Wouldn't want his big mouth causing dissension anywhere and everywhere near the Raiders.

Last edited:
As

That's not going to happen with Getsy on the staff. They played nice in Chicago, but they will never work together again. Mark that down.
I'm definitely okay with getting rid of Getsy. Frankly Pierce just made my #### list after that punt yesterday.

I appreciate Pierce's rah rah, players coach whatever but when I see a division stacked with Andy Reid, Sean Payton & Jim Harbaugh I think we are going to quickly learn AP is well out of his depth.

I pray he's the next Dan Campbell but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm sorry for polluting this thread with Raiders talk. But I would rather have a team bad enough to get the #1 pick and a shot at a franchise changing QB then another 6-11 to 9-8 season with no hope at changing the narrative.

Panthers, then Giants for sure. Good Lord those teams are awful. Both can be associated with awful QB decisions as well.
LV and Cleveland not far behind(QB issues as well), and Clev has to stick with their man, he is guaranteed all the cash coming up. HAHAHA!!!
Cousins looked awful, ATL might be going to Pennix a lot earlier than planned.
I'd think LV would be on the only team to take Sanders in the first round, he is ruining his chances in the NFL already, mouthing off, throwing teammates under the bus. Jerry Jones got his QB signed, Davis might be the only egotistical owner left who would want a jabroni like Sanders.

Good post.

Yup, not lookin so dumb now, are they?
Taking a QB, when your QB is on a short deal, and is old, and coming off an Achilles, was always a reasonable move.

But if you don't draft the way draft nerds think you should, they suddenly turn into a bunch of braying donkey bullies. You might think because they ARE nerds, they would be less inclined to behave like bullies, but you would be wrong.

DON'T YOU DARE SPEAK THESE THINGS INTO EXISTENCE!!!

I will, you are absolutely correct. That is a very good defense.

All that said, Atlanta wasn't supposed to be this bad offensively. Cousins looked awful.

This is why Atlanta took Peniz right after signing Cousins . They knew Cousins was maybe good for a year or two but also knew the draft class this year would be crap.
There's video out there of Howie Roseman, after Philly took Carson Wentz, and he was saying part of the decision was they didn't see much special on the horizon at QB. This was in 2016.

Patrick Mahomes was drafted in 2017.

I will, you are absolutely correct. That is a very good defense.

All that said, Atlanta wasn't supposed to be this bad offensively. Cousins looked awful.
He looked like he's struggling to move around the pocket like normal. Very much a Cap Rooney, mind is willing but body is unable situation.

But it's week one, there is plenty of talk about this in the Over/Under reactions thread.

Probably Ewers. YOu can't count out Beck or Sanders though. This draft has 3 "A-" type qb's, and there's a chance none of them go top 3. But QBs always seem to creep up at the draft no matter what.

Those 3 all kind of close enough that we'll have to see how they do the rest of the season. Either way, NYG and CAR should be ready to admit their mistakes and draft 2 of those 3 guys.
I like Beck more than Ewers. Beck is second coming of Matt Ryan. He isn't elite but should give a franchise plenty of very solid years.

You might not be closing the book on Young, but I am. I'm not sure if you watched yesterday's game, but his first two passing attempts were all I needed to see to take the book back to the library. I don't think he makes it through week 8 this season. The last QB I watched that was this bad was Ben DeNucci.

Agreed on Tepper. He's a thin-skinned, wanna-be Bobby Axelrod without the hair or cleverness.
I was joking much of the 1st part, 2nd I share my hate the Panthers' owner

Last edited:
Cleveland defense is too good to keep them from getting the #1. And if Watson keeps stinking up the place they’ll put Winston in who can gunsling them to a win or two. Cleveland also gets to play the Giants in two weeks at home. They lose that one then they’ll certainly be in the running for #1

Cleveland defense is too good to keep them from getting the #1. And if Watson keeps stinking up the place they’ll put Winston in who can gunsling them to a win or two. Cleveland also gets to play the Giants in two weeks at home. They lose that one then they’ll certainly be in the running for #1
I too believe in speaking things into existence.

Users who are viewing this thread