What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Next POTUS - Here are the odds, who is the best bet? (3 Viewers)

Fennis said:
Sinn Fein said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
Walking Boot said:
$10 each on everyone +10000 or higher, $80 down

$50 each on Trump and Biden at +2500, now up to $180.

$100 each on Walker at +900 and Sanders at +1200, $380 spent.

Good chance at at least doubling with a Walker win, or winning even more if Sanders, Trump, Biden, or the longshots take it.
better chance you are throwing away $640 when Hillary wins.
0% chance Hillary wins the general election.
I'll bet $100 she wins, but you've got to be give me 100:1 odds. Sounds like easy money for you.
In for a hundred.
at 100:1 odds?
Yeah. Hopping aboard the Fennis train if Sinn Fein means what he posted.

I'd take longshots who have very little name recognition -- people like Kasich or O'Malley. Those guys are less likely to have a negative public perception and could end up squeezing their way into the nomination after the other candidates beat each other up.

I'd also bet my life savings against Huckabee and Santorum. Santorum at 100-to-1 is a joke.

I'd take longshots who have very little name recognition -- people like Kasich or O'Malley. Those guys are less likely to have a negative public perception and could end up squeezing their way into the nomination after the other candidates beat each other up.

I'd also bet my life savings against Huckabee and Santorum. Santorum at 100-to-1 is a joke.
Picking up nickels in front of a steamroller. Might as well bet Mayweather against Berto too. :shrug:

I use this kind of logic in FF when it comes to deciding between players. Rankings similar I go with the guy with the lesser "name".

Those would be great trades if this were a futures market. But in a must-win-it-all format they seem like clever ways to thow money away.

I'd throw my money down on Bloomberg. Yes, he's not even in the race, but with his money and connections he could get in quickly - no need to establish a huge fund raising apparatus. He has the gravitas to be POTUS, which is a huge appeal to voters. Finally, he could capture a lot of independant votes, as he's not commited to extreme positions.

Yes, obviously a long shot, but those are nice odds.

The Future Champs said:
I'd throw my money down on Bloomberg. Yes, he's not even in the race, but with his money and connections he could get in quickly - no need to establish a huge fund raising apparatus. He has the gravitas to be POTUS, which is a huge appeal to voters. Finally, he could capture a lot of independant votes, as he's not commited to extreme positions.

Bloomberg of atop and frisk fame?

The Future Champs said:

Except he won't let me have extreme portions of my tasty colas.

If you think the odds on Hillary are heavy now, imagine what they're going to be come January. There's going to be two events in the last quarter of this year: first, House Republicans are going to shut down the government in order to defund Planned Parenthood. Second, the House Republicans are going to threaten not to raise the debt ceiling unless Obamacare is repealed.

Whatever the results of these two events are (and I suspect that they will cause panic followed by a complete surrender by the Republican leadership), by January Hillary will be a lock to be our next President, if she isn't already.

The Future Champs said:

Bloomberg of stop and frisk fame?
Yes, that Bloomberg. Stop and frisk plays well in the Republican primaries, and I think he could take Hillary in the general election. He probably wins NY, which makes it extremely difficult for a democrat to get elected.

The Future Champs said:

Except he won't let me have extreme portions of my tasty colas.
Ya, limiting serving size is a little too nanny state ish, but it won't matter in a presidential election.

If you think the odds on Hillary are heavy now, imagine what they're going to be come January. There's going to be two events in the last quarter of this year: first, House Republicans are going to shut down the government in order to defund Planned Parenthood. Second, the House Republicans are going to threaten not to raise the debt ceiling unless Obamacare is repealed.

Whatever the results of these two events are (and I suspect that they will cause panic followed by a complete surrender by the Republican leadership), by January Hillary will be a lock to be our next President, if she isn't already.
Is this some of the great insight you get from MSNBC?

If there is a shutdown not only would it assure a Democratic president we.might get back the Senate as well.

Why no, from Republican candidates and from Republican House members.

Why no, from Republican candidates and from Republican House members.
Yep

100% chance that the Democrat nominee wins the general election.
Election model predicts Dem will win

August 5, 2015

A Democrat will win the White House next year by the narrowest of margins, according to a well-known election forecaster.

Moody’s Analytics is predicting that the Democratic presidential nominee will capture 270 electoral votes in 2016, edging out the Republican nominee’s total of 268.

The model from Moody's, a group that analyzes economic trends, has a perfect track record, accurately predicting every presidential election since 1980; it nailed the number of electoral votes in President Obama's 2012 victory.

The economics-based election model — which relies on presidential election results since the 1980 Ronald Reagan-Jimmy Carter contest — aims to predict voting decisions based on each state’s economic and political situation.

Moody’s will update its prediction each month in the run-up to November 2016.

Overall, the most important economic variable in the model is income growth in the two years leading up to the election.

Wage growth has been tepid this year, though it is expected to pick up as the job market approaches full employment.

But while income growth favors the incumbent party, politics matter plenty, giving the Republicans a boost.

In swing states, the share of the vote that goes to the incumbent party is about 50 percent, and economic and other factors can swing the vote to either party. The key swing states for 2016 include Colorado, Florida, Ohio, Virginia, Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

Voter fatigue could weigh heavily against the Democratic nominee. Several swing states would be inclined vote to for the Democrat if not for the two terms President Obama has spent in the White House, Moody’s said.

The direction of president’s approval rating could also make a meaningful difference.

If Obama's approval rating improves leading up to the election, he will probably give his party a boost. But in most elections, the president’s rating has declined in the lead-up to the election, favoring the challengers.

The Moody’s model assumes that Obama’s approval rating will be the same on Election Day as it is today.

I think a lot of Trump's supporters will go to Walker if Trump does eventually fade out. He's got that same skill of finding the raw nerve in certain voters and irritating it. His "trump" card will be unions and poor people. He'll probably be an underdog to win the generally election, but he's my pick to win the Republican nomination.

I'm not sure that the people that think the Democrats have this wrapped up realize that the people that voted for Obama twice was something that historically really has never happened before. The mix of people that vote in these elections usually looks nothing like what happened in 2008 and 2012.

Now, it could be this is the start of a new era where young people come out and vote in overwhelming numbers for Democrats, but I'm not ready to assume that just yet. It could be the combination of a young, black, charismatic candidate like Obama got the vote out like we haven't seen before.

One thing for sure, Hillary doesn't have a 10th of the charisma of Obama or her husband for that matter. Her negatives are off the charts and, despite what anyone says, I think this is the best crop of Republican candidates we have seen in years. Trump is a nut, but he's not gonna get the nomination. Walker, Rubio, and yes Bush are good candidates. Bush has his brother hanging around his neck, but Jeb, to me, seems more well spoken and thoughtful and he has proven popular with Hispanics...

This reminds me of President Gore who had it wrapped up, supposedly, except he was a horrible campaigner and horrible speaker and horrible debater with no charisma...
In fairness to Gore - he did win the most votes - probably got the most in Florida as well.
First, the votes in Florida were recounted. Bush won the state, barely. But the election was a tie, really. Even the popular vote was well within any reasonable margin of error. Coming off of 8 years of peace and prosperity under Clinton, that's was a really badly run campaign by Gore. Any way you spin it, it was bad...

I'm not sure that the people that think the Democrats have this wrapped up realize that the people that voted for Obama twice was something that historically really has never happened before. The mix of people that vote in these elections usually looks nothing like what happened in 2008 and 2012.

Now, it could be this is the start of a new era where young people come out and vote in overwhelming numbers for Democrats, but I'm not ready to assume that just yet. It could be the combination of a young, black, charismatic candidate like Obama got the vote out like we haven't seen before.

One thing for sure, Hillary doesn't have a 10th of the charisma of Obama or her husband for that matter. Her negatives are off the charts and, despite what anyone says, I think this is the best crop of Republican candidates we have seen in years. Trump is a nut, but he's not gonna get the nomination. Walker, Rubio, and yes Bush are good candidates. Bush has his brother hanging around his neck, but Jeb, to me, seems more well spoken and thoughtful and he has proven popular with Hispanics...

This reminds me of President Gore who had it wrapped up, supposedly, except he was a horrible campaigner and horrible speaker and horrible debater with no charisma...
If you suggest that Gore lost because he has no charisma and Obama won, in part, because he has lots of charisma, then you obviously think charisma is an important (in not necessary) quality for a candidate. Why then do you give Donald Trump who is way ahead in all Republican candidate polls and easily the most charismatic GOP candidate no chance of winning that party's nomination?
Charisma is not the only thing that is important. I just think it's a long way until the election. The likelihood is high that closer to the primaries, Trump is gonna say something that's gonna sink him. Yes, I know, he's said things already that should have sunk him, but most of the primary voters aren't even tuned in yet. I think Trump has no shot to beat Hillary, so his nomination, IMO would be very bad for Republicans.

Rubio and Walker can beat Hillary. Not saying they will, but they can. A lot will depend on the state of the economy between now and then. If the economy is booming, I think it's a lock for Hillary. If we are kind of going along like we are now, it's a toss up IMO. If the economy goes south, obviously, that's a huge plus for the Republicans...

Many of the experts right now are saying that the Democrats have the advantage, but not a huge one. They think it's gonna be a very close election. I agree with that...

Last edited by a moderator:

August 5, 2015

A Democrat will win the White House next year by the narrowest of margins, according to a well-known election forecaster.

Moody’s Analytics is predicting that the Democratic presidential nominee will capture 270 electoral votes in 2016, edging out the Republican nominee’s total of 268.

The model from Moody's, a group that analyzes economic trends, has a perfect track record, accurately predicting every presidential election since 1980; it nailed the number of electoral votes in President Obama's 2012 victory.

The economics-based election model — which relies on presidential election results since the 1980 Ronald Reagan-Jimmy Carter contest — aims to predict voting decisions based on each state’s economic and political situation.

Overall, the most important economic variable in the model is income growth in the two years leading up to the election.

Wage growth has been tepid this year, though it is expected to pick up as the job market approaches full employment.

But while income growth favors the incumbent party, politics matter plenty, giving the Republicans a boost.

In swing states, the share of the vote that goes to the incumbent party is about 50 percent, and economic and other factors can swing the vote to either party. The key swing states for 2016 include Colorado, Florida, Ohio, Virginia, Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

Voter fatigue could weigh heavily against the Democratic nominee. Several swing states would be inclined vote to for the Democrat if not for the two terms President Obama has spent in the White House, Moody’s said.

The direction of president’s approval rating could also make a meaningful difference.

If Obama's approval rating improves leading up to the election, he will probably give his party a boost. But in most elections, the president’s rating has declined in the lead-up to the election, favoring the challengers.

The Moody’s model assumes that Obama’s approval rating will be the same on Election Day as it is today.
I read this too. I don't get "100% chance the Democratic Nominee wins" out of this article. 270-268 is almost a tie. Like the Gore-Bush race...

If you're going to bet against anyone, you should be betting against Bernie Sanders or Ben Carson. Those guys have a less than zero chance of actually becoming president, yet their posted odds are significantly higher than Huckabee or Santorum.

August 5, 2015

I read this too. I don't get "100% chance the Democratic Nominee wins" out of this article. 270-268 is almost a tie. Like the Gore-Bush race...
The 100% chance isn't from the Moody's Model. It's from the Coal Man Model, also an exceptionally accurate model at predicting elections.

In fairness to Gore - he did win the most votes - probably got the most in Florida as well.
First, the votes in Florida were recounted. Bush won the state, barely. But the election was a tie, really. Even the popular vote was well within any reasonable margin of error. Coming off of 8 years of peace and prosperity under Clinton, that's was a really badly run campaign by Gore. Any way you spin it, it was bad...
It was a bad campaign but a huge reason was also Ralph Nader. I know there is some post-election apologist nonsense out there that Nader did not cost Gore the election but it's ridiculous. The premise is that more people who voted for Nader would have voted for Bush than Gore. No way, people weren't not voting Republican to vote for the Green party candidate.

Clinton won because of Perot

Bush won because of Nader

Elections in this country are so close that a third party candidate is the death knell to whichever party is going to lost those votes.

If you suggest that Gore lost because he has no charisma and Obama won, in part, because he has lots of charisma, then you obviously think charisma is an important (in not necessary) quality for a candidate. Why then do you give Donald Trump who is way ahead in all Republican candidate polls and easily the most charismatic GOP candidate no chance of winning that party's nomination?
Charisma is not the only thing that is important. I just think it's a long way until the election. The likelihood is high that closer to the primaries, Trump is gonna say something that's gonna sink him. Yes, I know, he's said things already that should have sunk him, but most of the primary voters aren't even tuned in yet. I think Trump has no shot to beat Hillary, so his nomination, IMO would be very bad for Republicans.

Rubio and Walker can beat Hillary. Not saying they will, but they can. A lot will depend on the state of the economy between now and then. If the economy is booming, I think it's a lock for Hillary. If we are kind of going along like we are now, it's a toss up IMO. If the economy goes south, obviously, that's a huge plus for the Republicans...

Many of the experts right now are saying that the Democrats have the advantage, but not a huge one. They think it's gonna be a very close election. I agree with that...
I agree w/ this. When people really start paying attention there is no way Trump wins this primary. I am not convinced he even really wants to win, I guess we'll see. The debate tonight should be interesting.

I know Bush has tons of money but I'm telling you that the regular guy, the actual voters, do NOT want Jeb and there is no way he is going to win this primary no matter what the establishment wants or the pundits think.

I really think it leaves Walker and Rubio. Rubio is probably the best candidate if he can persuade the Republican base that he doesn't want a carte blanche amnesty. If he crashes and burns, immigration will be his downfall. If gets through he is really going to resonate with independents and will have a strong hispanic showing. The left HATES Walker, they hate him even more than Christie because he was actually able to accomplish some substantive reform instead of just yelling at teachers like Christie does and Walker is an actual conservative. He will be attacked mercilessly but the Republican base is going to love what he has to say if he can rise above and be heard, Not sure if he is going to be able to stand out though, he does lack a little Charisma and command sometimes.

Either of these guys CAN beat Hillary. There is a lot of time before the next election. Too early to know how the economy is going to be, wages, general optimism in the country. Tons of time for foreign policy failures, candidate gaffs, campaign killing revelations, October surprises. 100% predictions 15 months out from an election are pretty stupid.

I just think these guys can win and are probably the best shot to win from the Republican side.

I also think Rand Paul is going to have a little flare. He is going to say some stuff in debates that a lot of people are going to like. He'll have his moment in this campaign. Unfortunately he has said a few insane things over the years that are really going to hurt him and I don't know if America is really ready for a libertarian leaning president, although I think more and more people are listening to the viewpoint and interested. Rand would be a great candidate if he was a little less testy and thin skinned but ultimately I think he has campaign killing quotes in his past.

I think a lot of Trump's supporters will go to Walker if Trump does eventually fade out. He's got that same skill of finding the raw nerve in certain voters and irritating it. His "trump" card will be unions and poor people. He'll probably be an underdog to win the generally election, but he's my pick to win the Republican nomination.
On paper I tend to agree with you. I've been writing the same thing in the other thread for months now. Recently I heard Walker in a radio interview and I came away very impressed with how knowledgeable and relaxed he sounded; quite a difference from my earlier impression of him as a pretty dull and weak speaker a few years back.

That being said, tonight is REALLY important for Walker. In the few minutes that he has to speak, he has to demonstrate some skills. If he comes across as dullsville, the way he used to in Wisconsin, he's going to slide down the polls pretty quickly. There are some very dynamic speakers tonight: Rubio, Cruz, Huckabee. Walker has to at least hold his own. The reason I say this is because last time around, there was a lot of talk going to into the first debate about how Tim Pawlenty was going to be the main challenge to Romney. Pawlenty was incredibly dull in that first debate, and his campaign never recovered and quickly vanished.

Lombardi, I tend to agree with your analysis with one caveat: yes, the base doesn't Bush as the candidate and yes he can be defeated. But for that to happen, the Republican base has to unite behind one guy fairly early on. As I see it, that one guy is either Walker or Rubio, with an outside shot for Kasich. But- IF the base spends several months dicking around with Trump, Cruz, Carson, Huckabee, etc., or if they simply can't decide between Walker or Rubio, then Bush will be the nominee.

There is no way Rubio is the nominee and if he is the Dems are beside themselves with glee, he's a lightweight. And Walkers scandals are coming home to roost he'll be lucky to still be in when we get to the first primary state.

I really don't want to see Clinton vs Bush. Please God deliver us a viable sensible alternative.
Forget "viable sensible", Clinton v Bush would put us all to sleep. Give me some comedy value - Perry, Trump, Walker, Cruz, Huckabee all would be fun. Throw in a good third party nut and this could actually be interesting.

I really don't want to see Clinton vs Bush. Please God deliver us a viable sensible alternative.
Forget "viable sensible", Clinton v Bush would put us all to sleep. Give me some comedy value - Perry, Trump, Walker, Cruz, Huckabee all would be fun. Throw in a good third party nut and this could actually be interesting.
Absolutely. And let's not forget Sanders. Trump/Sanders would be epic.

Rubio / Fiorina

They could take down Clinton

They get the Latinos. They get the business people. They get the anti establishment. They get a lot of women. And of course they get anyone right of moderate. And they are both very very sharp. I thought he was a pushover until tonight. But him and bush come across well.

I think the rep committee told the moderators to make it impossible for trump. He gets no policy questions. Just jabs about what he has said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rubio / Fiorina

They get the Latinos. They get the business people. They get the anti establishment. They get a lot of women. And of course they get anyone right of moderate. And they are both very very sharp. I thought he was a pushover until tonight. But him and bush come across well.

I think the rep committee told the moderators to make it impossible for trump. He gets no policy questions. Just jabs about what he has said.
Rubio doesn't poll well amongst Latino voters. And Fiorina consistently polls in the single digits with everyone. Do you guys just pull this stuff out of your butt?

There is no way Rubio is the nominee and if he is the Dems are beside themselves with glee, he's a lightweight. And Walkers scandals are coming home to roost he'll be lucky to still be in when we get to the first primary state.
Walker's illegal server, deleted emails and questionable foundation donations are finally being brought to light? Thank God! I'd hate to have to convince myself to overlook such indiscretions just to vote my party.

Rubio / Fiorina

Rubio doesn't poll well amongst Latino voters. And Fiorina consistently polls in the single digits with everyone. Do you guys just pull this stuff out of your butt?
Knee jerk reactions to one debate are fun.

Walker's illegal server, deleted emails and questionable foundation donations are finally being brought to light? Thank God! I'd hate to have to convince myself to overlook such indiscretions just to vote my party.
Well.when someone says in an official.court filing that Hillary most likely commited a felony, like Walker, then you may have an apt comparison.

Well.when someone says in an official.court filing that Hillary most likely commited a felony, like Walker, then you may have an apt comparison.
:lmao:

:lmao:
Well see.what happens when everything isn't being looked at in an overly friendly court.

By the way make something stick to Hillary. Nothing would make me happier just don't pretend no one on the other side has issues.

Brunell4MVP said:
Rubio / Fiorina

Fiorina is not exactly a shining example of a business leader. She comes across as sharp, but she was a complete disaster as CEO of HP. I doubt that anyone who worked for HP during her reign, would vote for her. She was that bad.

Brunell4MVP said:
Rubio / Fiorina

Fiorina is not exactly a shining example of a business leader. She comes across as sharp, but she was a complete disaster as CEO of HP. I doubt that anyone who worked for HP during her reign, would vote for her. She was that bad.
They would actively campaign against her she was so bad.

My favorite was the GOP convention a few years back. In order to look inclusive they paraded a bunch of women and minorities across the stage. And then the camera pans to the floor of delegates watching who are 99.9% old white guys.

Users who are viewing this thread