What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** Lorenzo Taliaferro Thread (2 Viewers)

Who's trotting him out?

Such a murkey backfield....
I did last week. Baltimore rolled Carolina and Zo got a load of 2nd half carries plus a TD while Pierce sat. As a guy struggling at RB2 I was plenty happy. He's obviously not an every game starter but there may be opportunities as a 2nd RB. And obviously his share can grow so I'm giving it time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who's trotting him out?

I did last week. Baltimore rolled Carolina and Zo got a load of 2nd half carries plus a TD while Pierce sat. As a guy struggling at RB2 I was plenty happy. He's obviously not an every game starter but there may be opportunities as a 2nd RB. And obviously his share can grow so I'm giving it time.
The whole Pierce sitting thing, I don't think that will happen often. Do you?

This looks like a bad situation for all involved. Through 4 games, they've had 3 different lead ball carriers. It seems overly risky to start any one of them, except possibly Forsett.

I'd rather start TRich, because we at least know his lumbering role on the team. In Baltimore, nothing would surprise me.

by Marty Gitlin | CBSSports.com

[SIZE=.8em](1:25 pm ET)[/SIZE] John Harbaugh has announced that a thigh ailment will not prevent Ravens featured back Bernard Pierce from playing Sunday at Indianapolis.

"I expect him to be fully ready to go," Harbaugh told the Baltimore Sun.

Pierce was held out of the last two games after rushing for 96 yards against Pittsburgh in Week 2.
Ugh. When Pierce was healthy (first 2 weeks), Taliaferro had exactly three offensive snaps. Reports indicated Pierce would be "eased back in", and he didn't play at all last week. Depth chart says Forsett-Pierce-Taliaferro, for whatever that's worth. I think there's a chance (probably small) that they go back to Forsett/Pierce. I hope not. Anybody worried about this?

[SIZE=.8em](1:25 pm ET)[/SIZE] John Harbaugh has announced that a thigh ailment will not prevent Ravens featured back Bernard Pierce from playing Sunday at Indianapolis.

Pierce was held out of the last two games after rushing for 96 yards against Pittsburgh in Week 2.
Ugh. When Pierce was healthy (first 2 weeks), Taliaferro had exactly three offensive snaps. Reports indicated Pierce would be "eased back in", and he didn't play at all last week. Depth chart says Forsett-Pierce-Taliaferro, for whatever that's worth. I think there's a chance (probably small) that they go back to Forsett/Pierce. I hope not. Anybody worried about this?
It's possible but if they watched the film from their CLE and CAR games I would hope they wouldn't. He's such a good fit for the zbs I feel it it'd be a crime to reduce him to his former role. I think we will see some type of three headed rotation however.

It's possible but if they watched the film from their CLE and CAR games I would hope they wouldn't. He's such a good fit for the zbs I feel it it'd be a crime to reduce him to his former role. I think we will see some type of three headed rotation however.
But there was no RBBC/3 when all three were healthy (first 2 weeks). I only saw one game, but the four game logs suggest RBBC/2. I'm not disagreeing, just curious what makes you think they'll deviate from that? RBBC/3 seems pretty un-Kubiak, no?

I cut Pierce the other day to add Marvin Jones. I have Lorenzo on my bench. I sure do hope they take the sample size of these last 2 weeks and say the heck with Pierce. He hasn't met expectations when he's had his opportunities before, why should it change now?

But there was no RBBC/3 when all three were healthy (first 2 weeks). I only saw one game, but the four game logs suggest RBBC/2. I'm not disagreeing, just curious what makes you think they'll deviate from that? RBBC/3 seems pretty un-Kubiak, no?
Is there really any good, real reason Pierece was sat last week? Sure seemed like he was good to go.

Very un-Kubiak like (I don't think he's ever run 3 in DEN or HOU) but isn't what were seeing already un-Kubiak like with Forsett and Tali essentially splitting snaps over the past two weeks (favored Forsett more so last with 65/35). Even though Forsett has looked really good at times, I just don't see BAL leaning on him for the long haul in which case I think this backfield has yet to be fleshed out. I still think Tali fits Kubiak's mold best but I also get the sense that we haven't seen the last of Pierce. Maybe I'm wrong and he doesn't touch the ball again this week and BAL has already moved on, I'd be happy to see that.

Very un-Kubiak like (I don't think he's ever run 3 in DEN or HOU) but isn't what were seeing already un-Kubiak like with Forsett and Tali essentially splitting snaps over the past two weeks (favored Forsett more so last with 65/35). Even though Forsett has looked really good at times, I just don't see BAL leaning on him for the long haul in which case I think this backfield has yet to be fleshed out. I still think Tali fits Kubiak's mold best but I also get the sense that we haven't seen the last of Pierce. Maybe I'm wrong and he doesn't touch the ball again this week and BAL has already moved on, I'd be happy to see that.
Me, too. And probably everyone in this thread.

Yes, it crossed my mind that the 2-man RBBC is already un-Kubiak like. The NFL is changing and he's not a head coach here. I could buy him grudgingly accepting a 2-man thing, and the good play from Forsett could make that easier to swallow, but three would be a whole other level.

Is there really any good, real reason Pierece was sat last week? Sure seemed like he was good to go.
Word just before kickoff that they'd ease him back in? Or that could be a bunch of crap. They said something completely different after the game (held him out for "precautionary reasons").

I'm skeptical of anything these coaches say before Sunday. If they announce either of these as the starter, or adjust the depth chart, then that's good enough for me. I don't expect it.

Yes, it crossed my mind that the 2-man RBBC is already un-Kubiak like. The NFL is changing and he's not a head coach here. I could buy him grudgingly accepting a 2-man thing, and the good play from Forsett could make that easier to swallow, but three would be a whole other level.
Very true. So you're essentially afraid that it may be Forsett -> Pierce instead of Forsett -> Tali. Sitting Tali now would be silly though. I wish I could show you guys the coaches film, he really looks like every other back who has every thrived in Kubiak's system. A big guy with great instincts, good vision, looking to plant his foot and go.

Very true. So you're essentially afraid that it may be Forsett -> Pierce instead of Forsett -> Tali. Sitting Tali now would be silly though. I wish I could show you guys the coaches film, he really looks like every other back who has every thrived in Kubiak's system. A big guy with great instincts, good vision, looking to plant his foot and go.
Last week Kubiak mentioned special teams play in the context of RB snaps, basically implying that Tali's special teams work might limit his RB play (fresh legs and such). Tali's special teams snaps have dropped each week (15,12,9,4). Probably looking too deep, but it's interesting.

We've reached that level. Kubiak is no longer Kubiak.

Those silly coaches. It looks like they mainly run a 2-back system. True to their word, the Ravens eased Pierce back into his original role after the quad strain.

Yeah, its a joke. I'm sure that 15/32/1 stat line instilled a lot of confidence in Pierce from the coaching staff moving forward. Tali had 47 yards on 4 touches.

Bernard Pierce is a healthy scratch for Week 8 against the Bengals.
Although Pierce has been running ahead of Lorenzo Taliaferro the past two games, Taliaferro has been outplaying him, and on Sunday the Ravens made a depth chart switch. Taliaferro is worth owning in all leagues as an RB4 stash, while Pierce can be dropped. We suspect Taliaferro will handle goal-line carries ahead of Justin Forsett, which is what Pierce had been doing to this point.

Welcome back to the squad, Lo. He's one of a few guys I've cycled on and off my teams more than once this year. Big chance for him to take the reins as a 10+ carry a game guy today, but he could be back at the bottom if he doesn't show much.

ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley expects Lorenzo Taliaferro to take over as Baltimore's goal-line back in the absence of Bernard Pierce.
Pierce is a healthy scratch against the Bengals and appears to have been passed by Taliaferro on the depth chart. Although Taliaferro's fantasy usefulness has been hit-or-miss all season, the fourth-round rookie out of Coastal Carolina is averaging a rock-solid 4.52 YPC and now has a bead on red-zone carries in Gary Kubiak's running back-friendly offense entering a plus Week 8 matchup against the Bengals' league-worst run defense. Taliaferro is suddenly a compelling flex option in TD-heavy fantasy leagues and should be owned in all 12- and 14-teamers.

Still trying to figure out the Ravens thought process between Taliaferro/Pierce and something crossed my mind.

Ravens LT Eugene Monroe and G Kelechi Osemele returned and started week 8 after being out for multiple weeks due to injuries. If the Ravens may see Pierce as better in pass protection then maybe they were playing it safe the last few weeks by using Pierce more, and now with the o-line reunited they were comfortable enough to go with the better runner (Taliaferro). If true it would bode well for Taliaferro going forward.

Or maybe I'm way off and the Ravens will just mix up the carries differently every week based on their opponent's strengths/weaknesses, driving us all crazy in the process. Thoughts?

ETA: if this is going to be guesswork every week, then now is a good time to trade away Taliaferro.

I cut Lorenzo weeks ago and now he was a hot waiver pickup. After reading the prior post I'm glad I did. I already have the headache of Shane Vereen and now may have to trade for Jonas Gray.

I cut LoTal just last week before the surprise announcement of Pierce being a healthy scratch. Was locked out to get him back and this week he becomes the "hot waiver wire pickup". But I dunno if I can trust him. His 9 total touches scare me. He seems very TD dependent. If I manage to outbid others to reclaim him, I'm not sure I'd start him unless I was desperate. I'll probably let him go and be outbid for that reason. If I'm not using a waiver wire player, he's just a roster spot eater.

Yep. Unless there is some news or change to the official depth chart, I wouldn't trust him as an every week RB2 or flex. Maybe as a "swing for the fences" flex if I'm the projected underdog. At this point Lo's primary value is for trade bait with RB starved teams.

Actually, Taliaferro is currently listed as the 2nd RB on the Ravens depth chart. I thought Pierce was listed 2nd pretty recently, maybe yesterday? Anyone know when this actually changed?

Actually, Taliaferro is currently listed as the 2nd RB on the Ravens depth chart. I thought Pierce was listed 2nd pretty recently, maybe yesterday? Anyone know when this actually changed?
according to rotoworld and twitter, perhaps sunday?

Thanks. Maybe I didn't look at it as recently as I thought, or I looked at it on CBS where Pierce is STILL listed 2nd. Stupid CBS.

So he's listed 2nd. For whatever reason, and I know I said the exact opposite earlier, it still doesn't give me much more confidence. I'll be watching for news but it just seems like the Ravens may just switch between Pierce/Taliaferro to match whatever game plan they have each week.

there is value here. dude is one forsett injury from being a rb2 with upside. that is the type of lotto ticket i like.

If I owned Forsett I'd be all over Taliaferro in dynasty. Pierce seems on the way out of town, and Tal is a prime handcuff if you can afford the roster space. Trouble is, for me and I'd guess for many others, we're dealing with some serious bye week issues at RB or other positions, so rosters space is at a premium. Grab him if you can afford him and afford the wait I suppose. Or if you are very desperate for a RB with a pulse.

So he's listed 2nd. For whatever reason, and I know I said the exact opposite earlier, it still doesn't give me much more confidence. I'll be watching for news but it just seems like the Ravens may just switch between Pierce/Taliaferro to match whatever game plan they have each week.
Or maybe after Pierce's less than stellar results the prior two weeks, the Ravens finally came to the conclusion that he is not very good.

So, Forsett didn't practise yesterday. Guess we have to wait to see what happens today, but Taliaferro could end up as a great play this week.

Who's trotting him out?

The whole Pierce sitting thing, I don't think that will happen often. Do you?

This looks like a bad situation for all involved. Through 4 games, they've had 3 different lead ball carriers. It seems overly risky to start any one of them, except possibly Forsett.

I'd rather start TRich, because we at least know his lumbering role on the team. In Baltimore, nothing would surprise me.
Well....

:blackdot:

anyone think he's flex material this week on SNF vs. PIT? Debating him vs. tre mason - both seem like long shots, but the forsett ankle injury might make this more interesting.

With sammy, cobb, lacy, and Calvin on byes, he is my rb2 and crow is my flex.

Debating dropping one for boldin or j matthews for higher ceilings, but I like crow and zo's upside.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley sees Lorenzo Taliaferro as a candidate for "increased playing time" in 2015.

Hensley considers free agent Justin Forsett "not a lock" to re-sign and Bernard Pierce on the roster bubble. Taliaferro was steady as a rookie, averaging 4.29 yards per carry and scoring four TDs while mainly filling a short-yardage role. We do question Taliaferro's fit in new OC Marc Trestman's offense. Trestman emphasizes receiving ability in running backs.

Feb 15 - 2:37 PM

Source: ESPN.com
The Baltimore Sun believes second-year pro Lorenzo Taliaferro looks much "leaner and quicker" this spring.

The 2014 fourth-rounder had a strong rookie campaign, rushing 68 times for 292 yards (4.29 YPC) and four touchdowns. He'll battle 2015 fourth-rounder Buck Allen for No. 2 duties behind Justin Forsett. Allen is a better pass catcher, but Taliaferro should have a leg up on short-yardage duties.

May 28 - 3:17 PM

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter
Ravens RB Lorenzo Taliaferro reportedly looked "very strong" during OTAs.

Taliaferro is the heavy favorite to win the early-down backup job behind Justin Forsett. Fourth-round rookie Buck Allen projects as the backup on passing downs. Taliaferro flashed at times as a rookie, averaging 4.29 YPC on 68 rushes and turning four of those into touchdowns. He's dropped eight pounds and has four percent less body fat than he did as a rookie.

Jul 30 - 7:31 AM

Source: CSN Baltimore

Rotoworld:

Lorenzo Taliaferro rushed 12 times for 36 yards and a touchdown and caught two passes for 18 yards in the Ravens' preseason opener against the Saints.

Taliaferro opened the game working extensively with the first-team offense, and finished Baltimore's first drive with a one-yard touchdown. Considering the size of each player, there is reason to believe Taliaferro could threaten some of Justin Forsett's early-down work, in addition to goal-line carries. Rotoworld's Ray Summerlin observed that Taliaferro "looks leaner and quicker" than he did last season. Taliaferro is the current -- albeit tentative -- favorite to open the season as Baltimore's No. 2 back, ahead of Buck Allen.

Aug 13 - 10:32 PM

Funny how everyone is all over Allen's jock (new year's model?). Every indication has been that Taliaferro is the guy to target, and he could be really valuable if Forsett goes down.

Users who are viewing this thread