What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***The Official Wikkidpissah Irish Wake Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I don't know if this got mentioned, but Wikkid joined the schtick-heavy Cake Leeg fanatsy baseball group a few years ago as we needed another dude.  It's a rag-tag group that's had its fair share of drama, but generally speaking, it's a fun group and very irreverent.  

He played for a season and sent me a check (that's how I learned his real name) for a new season that was about to embark and I don't know who it was, but somebody made a comment in passing like "Wikkid is going to cheat again" or some such.  It was an obvious joke, but boy howdy, he didn't take it that way.   It's the first time I ever saw him snap and he. was.  FURIOUS.  He quit the league over it.  

So, I sent him a PM and tried to mend matters, but he wasn't having it.  He said he would not tolerate being called a cheat and no amount of apology or explanation was going to amend his stance.  He was done.  I asked if he wanted me to refund his money and he told me to send it to charity.  

I hated that that happened.  But I also respected a person who would refuse to continue after being called a cheater.  And he didn't cheat, that's what was so weird about it, but he told me under no uncertain terms that his moral backbone was resolute in its position to quit.  

He played for a season and sent me a check (that's how I learned his real name) for a new season that was about to embark and I don't know who it was, but somebody made a comment in passing like "Wikkid is going to cheat again" or some such.  It was an obvious joke, but boy howdy, he didn't take it that way.   It's the first time I ever saw him snap and he. was.  FURIOUS.  He quit the league over it.  
Totally forgot about this. Wow. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this got mentioned, but Wikkid joined the schtick-heavy Cake Leeg fanatsy baseball group a few years ago as we needed another dude.  It's a rag-tag group that's had its fair share of drama, but generally speaking, it's a fun group and very irreverent.  

So, I sent him a PM and tried to mend matters, but he wasn't having it.  He said he would not tolerate being called a cheat and no amount of apology or explanation was going to amend his stance.  He was done.  I asked if he wanted me to refund his money and he told me to send it to charity.  

I hated that that happened.  But I also respected a person who would refuse to continue after being called a cheater.  And he didn't cheat, that's what was so weird about it, but he told me under no uncertain terms that his moral backbone was resolute in its position to quit. 
I peruse the Baseball Forum every so often. I saw he was having trouble trading within the league and then somebody told me that he was having trouble with the league itself -- that he'd gotten mad and was no longer a member, but I had never heard this. Seems like a fun group of guys that hang out in the Baseball Forum. Perhaps it was a joke the person made and wasn't serious. But it would be like wikkid to react that way to having his honor impugned. I can see the old goose thrashing about, genuinely hurt from what was probably an off-handed remark. That's too bad. 

Anyway, I was thinking of something else wikkid did out of magnanimity and I was trying to find the thread in which he did it. It involves another member of the board, so I'm not sure how to delicately put it, but it was just a glimpse into the guy where his tough exterior was waylaid and belied by his generous actions. It was an act of kindness for a friend who could no longer maintain a thread he had started. wikkid sort of saw he couldn't continue maintaining his thread and stepped into the role that person had been playing. It was really great stuff to see, and I told him I was blown away by that. In retrospect, I'm so happy that I said that to him. People deserve to be rewarded for the altruistically great stuff that they do. It truly was an instance where the give was the get. 

Ha!  I actually went through my PMs and found our exchange.  I'm going to edit out the name of the guy who pissed him off, but knowing the FBG personally, I can tell you for sure that he was joking around.  But man, our friend wasn't having it.

Here we go:

General Malaise 

Started conversation: August 2, 2020

Hey GB - Sorry for the delay reaching out to you, but I need to refund your Cake entry fees.  Or, if you want me to donate to a charity I'll do that instead.  Just let me know and I'll handle tomorrow.  Sucks you're not in the league anymore; really enjoyed having you in there.  

Hope all is well,

GM
wikkidpissah 

Replied: August 2, 2020

yeah, just throw any portion you feel appropriate at bigbottom's charity if you would, my friend. or anything that's easier. thx for that -

in my world, you prepare to die if you call someone a cheater. your faded frat boys & flounders laughed. don't play - i will sell out on REDACTED should i ever be aware of his presence & want nothing to do w the others. sry to cause the trouble. thx for handling my snailmail participation. best to you in all things -

wikkid
:lmao:

Oh man, he was furious.  "Faded frat boys"....that's so good.  

Anyway, I was thinking of something else wikkid did out of magnanimity and I was trying to find the thread in which he did it. It involves another member of the board, so I'm not sure how to delicately put it, but it was just a glimpse into the guy where his tough exterior was waylaid and belied by his generous actions. It was an act of kindness for a friend who could no longer maintain a thread he had started. wikkid sort of saw he couldn't continue maintaining his thread and stepped into the role that person had been playing. It was really great stuff to see, and I told him I was blown away by that. In retrospect, I'm so happy that I said that to him. People deserve to be rewarded for the altruistically great stuff that they do. It truly was an instance where the give was the get. 
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but he held up my Stevie Wonder thread when I ran into some trouble and kept it hopping for a good while (there was another poster who also helped, but I can't recall the user name and haven't seen that poster here in a long time). I sent wikkid my appreciation, though whether by PM or in the thread itself (or both) I don't remember.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but he held up my Stevie Wonder thread when I ran into some trouble and kept it hopping for a good while (there was another poster who also helped, but I can't recall the user name and haven't seen that poster here in a long time). I sent wikkid my appreciation, though whether by PM or in the thread itself (or both) I don't remember.
Nope. Different thread, Uruk. 

eta* I remember him being really interested in your thread. His Stevie Wonder story about Stevie coming on the stereo and saving wikkid from death by a heart attack was likely, in retrospect, not hyperbole but was all too serious, I'm afraid. 

Doesn't matter, though. I mean, it wasn't an important thread in the grand scheme of things but the fact that he knew I was struggling at that point and took the reins meant a lot of me.
Indeed. So that's two threads he did that in. He was willing, if you were reasonably cool, to go to bat for you. That's a very cool characteristic for a friend to have. 

I understand your point, but you said it was an obvious joke. Wikkid could be as stubborn as a Missouri mule sometimes. I can be stubborn too, and sometimes it can be one of my flaws instead of my strengths. 

Yeah, I'm pretty stubborn too at times, and never is it a net benefit to me or my loved ones.

Anybody ever see a picture of him?  Or hung out with him?  Curious what 'ol Dale looked like.  I have a picture in my head, but I'd be fun to see.
No. I've been thinking about that since his death. I always imagined him as a very heavy Daniel Day-Lewis. I have no idea why. I just did. 

Anybody ever see a picture of him?  Or hung out with him?  Curious what 'ol Dale looked like.  I have a picture in my head, but I'd be fun to see.
I don't have a picture. We had made tentative plans for me to visit him several years ago when he was still living near Boston, but it never came to fruition.

I also have a mental picture. I've been banging my head against a wall since his passing trying to think of celebrity the image lines up with, but I keep coming up blank.

I don't have a picture. We had made tentative plans for me to visit him several years ago when he was still living near Boston, but it never came to fruition.

I also have a mental picture. I've been banging my head against a wall since his passing trying to think of celebrity the image lines up with, but I keep coming up blank.
Man, that would have been a great experience to meet up with him.  

Curiosity got the best of me when he sent a check for fantasy baseball dues and I used his address on the check to do a google search of his place in Vermont (or was it New Hampshire?  I get those confused).  Looked like a really nice and peaceful place to call home.  I know that makes me a creepy stalker guy, but I was dang curious about him.

I've stayed away from this thread for a while because apparently my way of dealing with loss (and feelings in general) is to ignore them and hope they go away.  I guess I'm in the denial stage?  Not sure as I've not lost very many people close to me that weren't already in their 90's.

Today I got into re-reading a bunch of our most recent all-time NBA draft thread and there were so many great wikkid moments, I can't even begin to copy them.  It is also the thread where I pissed him off because I was being a D-bag, he put me on ignore and I apologized to him via PM.

I was going to bump the thread as a tribute to him, but the last post in it is simply wikkid saying he was "in" for another tangent draft back in January.  I didn't want to tarnish that ending, so I left the thread as is.

Good grief I miss that guy so much right now.  I have a long PM discussion with him in my inbox where we went back and forth over a year as he tried to get me unstuck from my life struggles.

Absolute gem of a human and I still can't believe he's gone.

Beautiful post.  Funny, I told his sister yesterday that she was a "gem of a person."  Must run in the family.

wikkid had temporary fallings out (falling outs?) with some of his favorite people.  In working on the Wikkidpedia, I came across a time where he put @Capella on ignore due to the Better Call Saul thread.  :lmao:   I know he's had occasional scuffles with people he considered family, like rock and otb...and me.

Sucks that that happened but, like you said, showed his strong moral code.  He quit the Greatest Works Draft and people tried to get him back, but I posted at the time that I knew there was no way he'd change his mind (and he didn't).  He quit a lot of things around here!  :lmao:   There's a reason he faux-trademarked "I quitTM."  Not blaming him at all; I know the feeling.  Yours is a bummer story, though, since I know he was really happy to join that league.

Beautiful post.  Funny, I told his sister yesterday that she was a "gem of a person."  Must run in the family.

wikkid had temporary fallings out (falling outs?) with some of his favorite people.  In working on the Wikkidpedia, I came across a time where he put @Capella on ignore due to the Better Call Saul thread.  :lmao:   I know he's had occasional scuffles with people he considered family, like rock and otb...and me.
We scuffled multiple times lol I know I have a way of grating on people. We got along pretty well in the hoops thread. 

btw if you still have that post available send it to me plz. I don’t recall what I did. 

I've felt The Wrath Of Wikkid myself. He lit me up more than once. I'd say about 56.7% of them were my fault originally; the other 56.7% were his.

We scuffled multiple times lol I know I have a way of grating on people. We got along pretty well in the hoops thread. 

btw if you still have that post available send it to me plz. I don’t recall what I did. 

Started with your post here and went down the page.  You were each probably 56.7% in the wrong.  ;)   And within a month he was replying to your posts in the NBA thread again, so it was a short "feud."

Started with your post here and went down the page.  You were each probably 56.7% in the wrong.  ;)   And within a month he was replying to your posts in the NBA thread again, so it was a short "feud."

ive never encountered anyone who understands what i'm saying less than you....
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That's gold, Jerry, gold!  Cappy, you do get under folks' skin.  It's a talent.

:lmao:  I have no recollection of that but that was pretty funny. I like that somebody said in there that our two styles were just meant to butt heads. 

Thanks buddy!
No sweat, man. There have been times you've gone out of your way to comment and be kind, and I'm grateful for it. 

eta* You've also done stuff for people on this board and gone out of your way for them IRL. I admire that. Good on ya, Cappy! 

####.

I was looking through our messages because I wanted to find one where Dale wrote to apologize for not apologizing to me.  :lmao:   It was so him and I wanted to share it as an example of the moral code we're talking about.

In looking for that, though, I found an exchange from September that began with his saying "the world is closing in on me" and then talking about how he was nearing 70 and didn't feel like he would make it there due to his size and past.  He spoke a number of times of the fear that he wouldn't outlive his father, and told me what he would do if he were freed from his father's caregiving, nothing grand but what he wanted, ending with "what i want most is to have a year in a studio with a partner who gets me and knows enough to 'make it so'."

####.  Now I'm distraught again.  I won't post any of the rest of this here as it is horribly horribly sad.  ####.

Nice little bit about the FFA, though:

"because i no longer have big-project energy, the FFA has become my format for keeping Truth alive. i try to keep it as shiny and elusive as chrome, to menace the unwashed & unwilling but entice the earnest with its gleam. and it has gained me many Friends in Truth - of which you are a valued member - though no new standardbearers. if i can keep Truth flickering there, i will

[krista4 deleting a rant about ownership]

i'll take a coupla weeks from the Noise and come back and write hard each time something moves me. i love it like i love you - with an evenness that only wishes the best."

Oh, as part of my reply to what he'd said in the messages I referenced above, I finally asked him why he didn't try to get healthier, especially in his weight.  I told him:  "I hate for the world to lose you prematurely.  I hate for the board to lose you.  I hate for ME to lose you."  :sadbanana: Now I'm crying again.

Oh, as part of my reply to what he'd said in the messages I referenced above, I finally asked him why he didn't try to get healthier, especially in his weight.  I told him:  "I hate for the world to lose you prematurely.  I hate for the board to lose you.  I hate for ME to lose you."  :sadbanana: Now I'm crying again.

Hang in there, GB.  He adored you.  I'm trying to find some better words here, but I'm not doing a great job.  So - hugs to you, you're one of the good ones.  Gooder than most.

You're not an ahole at all IMO.  Neither was wikkid, but that exchange really was hilarious.
It really was. 

ftr my wife only calls me that lovingly, bc I give a real good buddy of mine a hard time. He is a chronic underachiever with no fatherly influence so I am probably hard on him sometimes but dammit he needs it. I was a lazy 25 year old once as well. 

Ha!  I actually went through my PMs and found our exchange.  I'm going to edit out the name of the guy who pissed him off, but knowing the FBG personally, I can tell you for sure that he was joking around.  But man, our friend wasn't having it.

Here we go:

:lmao:

Oh man, he was furious.  "Faded frat boys"....that's so good.  

Man, I totally forgot about this.  I can't even remember what happened but hope to hell it wasn't me.

Man, I totally forgot about this.  I can't even remember what happened but hope to hell it wasn't me.

Went back and looked.  This was due to misunderstanding after we had to draft twice one of the COVID years.  Someone did call him a cheater but it seemed to be obvious shtick.  

Well at least he lasted the entire prior year.  The league does seem to have some of the board's biggest aholes.

It wasn't.  I felt pretty sure it was Chem X but wasn't surprised when I saw who the culprit was.  And no, nothing said was anything other than a silly joke but our man, he wasn't having it.  

But I also respected a person who would refuse to continue after being called a cheater.
This happened in Mr R's fantasy league.  Someone said that if I had a team in the league that Mr R and I could collude.  At that point, there was no way in hell I was ever taking over a team.  That was years ago, and the person who said it is dead.  (Not my fault.)  I still won't consider it.  The insult to Mr R didn't help, either.  I have gazillions of faults, but cheating isn't one of them.

I totally get why Wikkid was done at that point.  It just isn't funny.

It has been difficult to read this thread, (as well as the original news) but in a way uplifting.

wikkid and I exchanged a few messages over the years. It is a testament to his warmth that he made me feel part of an exclusive club.

It was not usually anything all that significant, it was mainly about our shared affection for the network MeTV. We both loved all the old shows, in particular Dragnet and Perry Mason. We dropped Joe Friday quotes on each other a few times.

What I remember most is when the actress Barbara Hale passed away, and how wikkid expressed to me in the most articulate, emotional, heart wrenching language how beautiful she was, and how much she had meant to him and his artistic sense when he was a young man. I can't replicate exactly what he said but he made it achingly poignant (in a way he only could) that he loved her because she knew how to rile up Raymond Burr and get the best out of him, that she was a chain-smoker and that she was Tina Fey before Tina Fey was even born.

I replied to him that I felt the same way but he expressed it about ten times better than I ever could. 

May 22, 2009

From the Great Works Draft, a reading recommendation from wikkid.  I'm going to have to take his suggestion.

20.12 BOOK OF THE THOUSAND NIGHTS AND A NIGHT, Trans. by Sir Richard F. Burton (1884) - wildcard

My favorite assembly of prose. I would have taken it in the 1st five rds if there had been a category for it. Now that Canterbury & Decameron, etc have been allowed into categories they dont belong the gloves are off and, since it & La Commedia are the two works i most must have in this thing, i better get busy on it. i will, however, draft it into the only proper category for such collections.

If I can convince anyone reading this thread of anything, my 1st choice would be to get them to read the Burton Arabian Nights Entertainments. You're all familiar with Alladin, Ali Baba & Sinbad, but these stories are sososososo much more. I have become radically anti-Islam (in its modern form, at any rate) for reasons which have little to do with current events. When one sees the beauty, magic, ribaldry & depth of yearning/learning of the pre-Mohammedan Arab (and Persian) culture, one hates what has come to obstruct that. and you'll get no better portrait of desert peoples than in these volumes. if you do, be sure to get the Burton translation - he made a conscious effort to stage the stories across Middle Eastern world & was a bit of a perv, which really gives life & the right feeling to the Ways of the Jinna.
Just added this book to my amazon wishlist. It's not cheap :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread