What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Reason People Post in "the Wrong Forum" (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

satch

Footballguy
This site is a great place for exchanging valuable information, ideas and advice. I check this site out throughout the day, everyday at work and at home during football season and less often during the off-season. Both of my teams are doing well and I'd have to say the info I gather here has played a part in that. There is a problem, though...

The Assistant Coach forum in which to post your trades/lineup thoughts or questions, possibly the two most important facets of fantasy football, is of very little use.

The Shark Pool currently has 19,963 posts with 452,159 replies. On average, every post recieves 23 replies.

The Assistant Coach forum currently has 12,073 posts with 48,498 replies. On average, every post recieves 4 replies.

As you can see, while the Shark Pool has a wealth of members willing to share helpful thoughts and advice, the Assistant Coach forum seems to attract very little interest. For example, a trade question posted in the Assistant Coach forum would probably recieve about 4 replies which while helpful, is a far cry from the 23 replies that same question would recieve if one were able to post it in the Shark Pool.

When dealing with trades, especially in keeper/dynasty leagues, those decisions are very important and the thoughts of other member on this site could be quite valuable in making those tough decisions. The "who should I start" question is possibly the most important facet of this game. The best and only place to get useful thoughts, answers and advice for these or any other issues on this site is the Shark Pool and with some tweaking, an already great fantasy football resource could be even better.

This has bothered me as well. I have posted some questions in the assistant coach without even getting replies. When I do get replies it is from the guys asking if he should start Curtis Martin or William Henderson. Do are ealy want his opinion?Another question. If my topic is WDIS Chris Brown or Thomas Jones? Why do I get 32 views and 2 responses? Was somebody really viewing this to see if I was asking the question? Are there just that many people who want to see what 2 people wrote but had no opinion of their own?

The best way to get responses to your posts in "Assistant Coach" forum is to respond to others, and leave a link to yours, if you take some time and answer others questions, they'll do the same for you.It may not always be "experts" or "sharks" answering your questions, but at least you get other peoples takes on it....it would be nice for more people to show up in the Assistant Coach forum though :rolleyes:

This question has been asked and answered many times. And it will be asked again many times more.The simpliest answer is that allowing those question in here would overrun the forum and basically kill it. I has happened before so this is not merely speculation.The best hope for survival of the assisant coach forum as a viable fantasy tool is for the staff to assign people to answer questions in there. But that would not be as easy to do as it sounds.Maybe a staffer, or even regular guy with a strong reputation, could be in there at an announced time for people to ask their questions. If say 5 guys could donate one hour, there could be five hours of questions and answers.I don't know, just a rumbling, rambling, wild though here.

I hear you, but mixing the forums would basically kill the Shark Pool. Not that I'm a frequent poster or valuable member here, but I wouldn't come or post here if I had to wade thru the WDIS threads. I think there's been a lot of people who have begun to try to disguise their add/drop decisions with "who will be better, X or Y from here on out?" that are already beginning to dilute the board.Let's be honest, no one really cares about someone else's team. A few weeks ago this forum was flooded with replies like "No, please let X be healthy, my only other options are Y and Z :wall: ". No one cares.I think there's a further issue here - just decide on your own. Between all of the material in this board, FBG if you subscribe, Mort and the other guys on ESPN - you should be able to make your own decision. A big part of life is debating a decision, making it and standing by it, so why not start here as a microcosm (albeit trivial in the bigger picture)?

I do have to generally agree with My Man Otis. Think for yourself. Use the material and then you decide who to start. If you just can't live with your own decisions then I would suggest using the weekly cheat sheets.

I just cut & pasted this from the Forums Main Page:

The Shark Pool (NFL Talk)

Important Note about the Shark Pool:

Threads that are asking for advice on how you should draft or manage your team belong in the Assistant Coach's Forum.

The Shark Pool is reserved for sharing NFL talk and fantasy football strategy discussion.Forum Led by: Admin, Staff, Moderator

So let me get this straight. The Shark Pool is reserved for fantasy football strategy discussion, yet posts regarding drafting, trades and who to start don't belong? Aren't those most important and just about the only aspects of fantasy football strategy?

Again, the Shark Pool is for fantasy football strategy, but posts regarding drafting, trading and who to start don't belong. That sounds quite contradictory to me.

Also, I don't see the downside to allowing people to post anything they'd like about fantasy football in the Shark pool. If you're not interested in a topic, don't click. Isn't that what we do anyway? It's not like there's a limited amount of posting space in a forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Threads that are asking for advice on how you should draft or manage your team belong in the Assistant Coach's Forum.

The Shark Pool is reserved for sharing NFL talk and fantasy football strategy discussion.Forum Led by: Admin, Staff, Moderator

So let me get this straight. The Shark Pool is reserved for fantasy football strategy discussion, yet posts regarding drafting, trades and who to start don't belong? Aren't those most important and just about the only aspects of fantasy football strategy?

Again, the Shark Pool is for fantasy football strategy, but posts regarding drafting, trading and who to start don't belong. That sounds quite contradictory to me.

Also, I don't see the downside to allowing people to post anything they'd like about fantasy football in the Shark pool. If you're not interested in a topic, don't click. Isn't that what we do anyway? It's not like there's a limited amount of posting space in a forum.
with all due respect you're trying to get something changed that works for a vast majority of people.If you've noticed the WDIS threads in the Shark Pool are rarely looked at either. IMO it doesn't matter where they are, no one really looks at them anyway.

In my opinion, it is quite simple, and boils down to this:If you include a whole bunch of WDIS and trade offer threads in the Shark Pool, it would VERY quickly disintegrate into the AC Forum - almost all WDIS type threads that are of little general value, at the expense of interesting threads from which people can derive their own WDIS answers... or they can head to the AC.In short, you allow WDIS, a WHOLE bunch of people no longer will bother posting at all, nor following the board, because it will become a de facto AC Forum - with its whopping 4 replies avg.

This site is a great place for exchanging valuable information.
You answered your own question right here. It about the information, not advice.
I've tried to be clear about this in the past. I don't think the value of this site is in the rankings/cheatsheets/projections. This is my opinion. I only speak for me, not the site owners or other staff. There is no collective FBG mentality. One of the reasons I like being part of this staff so much is that I'm encouraged to think for myself, even when my opinion goes against the majority.

The value of this site is information and objective analysis of statistics. With enough information and objective statistical analysis at your disposal, you can make up your own mind weather or not you should start running back A or running back B.

The only active thing YOU get to do in this hobby is make roster and lineup decisions. Why would you let someone else do it for you? At that point, its not YOUR team anymore.
I still think its true. If someone else makes your lineup decisions, its not your team anymore.Also, WDIS, RMT, and trade questions are simply not going to happen here. All the other major sites agree. Check out FFToday. Mike has followed our lead with this. I think he'd say it was easily for the better. If we were to allow these sorts of posts on our main forum its going to drive away our quality members.

Is it the best way to run the show? Maybe not, but its how we're going to choose to do things.

This site is a great place for exchanging valuable information.
You answered your own question right here. It about the information, not advice.
I've tried to be clear about this in the past. I don't think the value of this site is in the rankings/cheatsheets/projections. This is my opinion. I only speak for me, not the site owners or other staff. There is no collective FBG mentality. One of the reasons I like being part of this staff so much is that I'm encouraged to think for myself, even when my opinion goes against the majority.

The value of this site is information and objective analysis of statistics. With enough information and objective statistical analysis at your disposal, you can make up your own mind weather or not you should start running back A or running back B.

The only active thing YOU get to do in this hobby is make roster and lineup decisions. Why would you let someone else do it for you? At that point, its not YOUR team anymore.
I still think its true. If someone else makes your lineup decisions, its not your team anymore.Also, WDIS, RMT, and trade questions are simply not going to happen here. All the other major sites agree. Check out FFToday. Mike has followed our lead with this. I think he'd say it was easily for the better. If we were to allow these sorts of posts on our main forum its going to drive away our quality members.

Is it the best way to run the show? Maybe not, but its how we're going to choose to do things.
It is the best way to run things, in regard to creating a separate AC forum for WDIS and trades.The reason I found this board, and subsequently the site itself (and am now a paying member) because another site (mentioned here but I wont mention names) had denigrated into too much WDIS, not to mention unruliness in general.

Sure, sometimes they may be a LITTLE on the strict side here - but the fact is, it works very well and we just have to make adjustments. Cant please all the people all the time.

But allowing WDIS's would drive me away - along with many of my friends who look at this board for the discussion and usefullness - and not having to wade through flaming epidemics and a bunch of self servings WDIS's.

Again, just my opinion, shared by many I know.

I try to go over there and answer questions once in awhile. I do not do it because I have my own questions. Nor would I trust the advice of someone who's opinion is given only so I'll answer his. I do it because I remember years ago when I asked some questions there. I wish more Sharks from here would go over there and help them out.

But when I do go over there, I always get a headache. Their are way too many people asking questions about their lineup there that;

1. Don't give you matchups, so you have to think those out for your trouble.

2. Don't give you the scoring system they are using in their league

3. Make other mistakes, such as not even spelling their players names right

4. Not titling the posts in a way to know if advance the question

OK, the spelling applies in the Shark Pool sometimes too. But these little annoying things always end up cutting my time over there short. If you want people to help you out, help them out by giving a clear title, relevant info, and less mistakes.

with all due respect you're trying to get something changed that works for a vast majority of people.If you've noticed the WDIS threads in the Shark Pool are rarely looked at either. IMO it doesn't matter where they are, no one really looks at them anyway.
As I said, I enjoy the site the way it is. I use and peruse it frequently. I'm just suggesting that being too specific about what can be posted in what forum may be a detriment to the site. Also, something I find amusing: People will take the time to click on a topic and post "wrong forum" rather than add to the discussion or simply scroll past it.

This site is a great place for exchanging valuable information, ideas and advice. I check this site out throughout the day, everyday at work and at home during football season and less often during the off-season. Both of my teams are doing well and I'd have to say the info I gather here has played a part in that. There is a problem, though...

The Assistant Coach forum in which to post your trades/lineup thoughts or questions, possibly the two most important facets of fantasy football, is of very little use.

The Shark Pool currently has 19,963 posts with 452,159 replies. On average, every post recieves 23 replies.

The Assistant Coach forum currently has 12,073 posts with 48,498 replies. On average, every post recieves 4 replies.

As you can see, while the Shark Pool has a wealth of members willing to share helpful thoughts and advice, the Assistant Coach forum seems to attract very little interest. For example, a trade question posted in the Assistant Coach forum would probably recieve about 4 replies which while helpful, is a far cry from the 23 replies that same question would recieve if one were able to post it in the Shark Pool.

When dealing with trades, especially in keeper/dynasty leagues, those decisions are very important and the thoughts of other member on this site could be quite valuable in making those tough decisions. The "who should I start" question is possibly the most important facet of this game. The best and only place to get useful thoughts, answers and advice for these or any other issues on this site is the Shark Pool and with some tweaking, an already great fantasy football resource could be even better.
The reason for that is because it sucks sorting thru the WDIS and trade evaluations for actual football or FF information. If the Shark Pool was bogged down with this crap, I don't think the quality would be there anymore as people would leave or ignore. Most of the people here can make their own lineup and trades decisions on their own. What is benifitial though is being able to actually discuss your thoughts about certain players to help with those decisions.

Also, something I find amusing: People will take the time to click on a topic and post "wrong forum" rather than add to the discussion or simply scroll past it.
They do this to avoid the same guy bumping his thread after he gets no replies and it falls off of the first page.

The best hope for survival of the assisant coach forum as a viable fantasy tool is for the staff to assign people to answer questions in there.  But that would not be as easy to do as it sounds.Maybe a staffer, or even regular guy with a strong reputation, could be in there at an announced time for people to ask their questions.  If say 5 guys could donate one hour, there could be five hours of questions and answers.
The staff has already answered every conceivable "who do I start" or "should I do this trade" question with the weekly projections and top 200 forward list, respectively (in addition to many other materials).If a staffer hung out in the AC forum to answer "Thomas Jones or Chris Brown" threads, all it would accomplish is giving away the content of the weekly cheatsheets for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
You CAN post WDIS and suck in the Shark Pool, you just have to make it interesting. Get creative in your approach and turn it into a discussion that may also help others.

You CAN post WDIS and suck in the Shark Pool, you just have to make it interesting. Get creative in your approach and turn it into a discussion that may also help others.
Be carefull or you might get fired for revealing secrets like that

No. They're only important to the specific team posting them, and have little to no value to anyone else. It has nothing to do with strategy, or NFL discussion.Nobody else cares whether a particular owner cannot decide between Nate Kaeding and Phil Dawson.

No. They're only important to the specific team posting them, and have little to no value to anyone else. It has nothing to do with strategy, or NFL discussion.Nobody else cares whether a particular owner cannot decide between Nate Kaeding and Phil Dawson.
what about jay feely and shayne graham?

what about jay feely and shayne graham?
That should be discussed here.

When Zippy, Bubba, and Zartan start posting in a Shark Pool thread, its ready to die a slow quiet death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread