What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Rise and Fall of ESPN (2 Viewers)

ESPN must be proud right now as their main man Schefter, just six months or so after the Bruce Allen fiasco, reports incorrectly that Tom Brady has decided to retire. :lol:  
There is zero dignity left in the press. How do you not even call up a legend like Brady and give him the courtesy to confirm this. He deserves the respect to announce his own retirement by simply calling a press conference and we hear it from the man himself.

Pathetic. And social media shows again how broken we are as a society today.

There is zero dignity left in the press. How do you not even call up a legend like Brady and give him the courtesy to confirm this. He deserves the respect to announce his own retirement by simply calling a press conference and we hear it from the man himself.

Pathetic. And social media shows again how broken we are as a society today.
With a tweet a few keystrokes and a click away from it going out to the world, reporters care more about being the first than being right.  

With Tom officially announcing his retirement......he should have been given the courtesy to begin with. 

Screw Schefter and ESPN....a classless yellow hack media outlet these days. 

With Tom officially announcing his retirement......he should have been given the courtesy to begin with

I see your bolded point, but that's not going to happen these days. And for as much as ESPN does wrong ... breaking this kind of story early is not something only ESPN would have done while all other outlets would've extended the courtesy.

I see your bolded point, but that's not going to happen these days. And for as much as ESPN does wrong ... breaking this kind of story early is not something only ESPN would have done while all other outlets would've extended the courtesy.
I don’t disagree.....it is more of a statement on the lack of any courtesy to guys who are legends of the game and simply having the class and good form to allow them to do it. 

We have nosedived in that regard with the advent of social media and the 8 second attention span. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Who even cares who “breaks” news anymore? It’s everywhere within minutes now, I don’t understand why reporters think that is important. Like they are trying to sell newspapers or something. 

With Tom officially announcing his retirement......he should have been given the courtesy to begin with. 

I can tell you as a former journalism wanna-be guy, every single person in the history of media, even 90 years ago would’ve broke this story. It’s absolutely their job to do so. If the athlete doesn’t like it, don’t let anybody know. Obviously Tom let his guard down. 

I can tell you as a former journalism wanna-be guy, every single person in the history of media, even 90 years ago would’ve broke this story. It’s absolutely their job to do so. If the athlete doesn’t like it, don’t let anybody know. Obviously Tom let his guard down. 

I think the competition to break news first has gotten even more intense in the Internet era. Getting scoops helps build a reporter's brand which in turn helps he or she get more sources and exclusives going forward.

You know it's gotten bad when guys like Schefter and Rapoport are getting their calls wrong.  The race to be first has now led to the race to be the first to spread the rumor, and now there's so many rumors out there that nobody knows what to believe.  When the actual news gets reported, we all read it with an "I don't believe you" look because so much stuff they've gotten wrong

More Stephen A. yelling this morning on First Take.  Like right when it switched from Get Up to First Take, he was straight-up yelling into the camera.  Seriously man, shut your piehole.

She sure is

It’s a much better show than anything on espn imo, I don’t care about basketball though 

Definitely.... but speaking of easy on the eyes and ESPN, Ashley Brewer is foine as hell too.  I actually got a "like" from her on Twitter.  I said that she was the best thing to happen to ESPN since.... ESPN.  :D  

I stopped watching First Take (apart from the fact I just don't watch much tv anymore) mainly when they brought Molly on. She is beyond annoying and her voice is so grating. She opens her mouth way too much for a show moderator.

Schefter has taken a lot of hits in the last year, and yet ESPN just recently gave him a new contract where he will make 9 million year (roughly, supposedly).  God bless America and God bless ESPN where you can suck at your job and be a terrible person and still make bank. 

Eff that guy. 
What's crazy to me is that it took two days for him to give an apology, and when he did, it sounded like he was reading a prepared statement on his podcast.  The fact that his initial instinct was to point out Haskins' struggles in the job he was working before his death when announcing his death was telling.  

ESPN has to be proud now that two of their biggest names now are Schefter, who has a handful of bad moments in the last year, and Stephen A. Smith, who admitted last month that he doesn't care if his hot takes are wrong because he still gets paid no matter what. :lol:  

Last edited by a moderator:
What's crazy to me is that it took two days for him to give an apology, and when he did, it sounded like he was reading a prepared statement on his podcast.  The fact that his initial instinct was to point out Haskins' struggles in the job he was working before his death when announcing his death was telling.  

ESPN has to be proud now that two of their biggest names now are Schefter, who has a handful of bad moments in the last year, and Stephen A. Smith, who admitted last month that he doesn't care if his hot takes are wrong because he still gets paid no matter what. :lol:  

Double ouch.  I've been watching less ESPN and more NFL-N, especially leading up to draft.  Just way less screaming.  :lol:   

I'm sort of amused that the problem with Stephen A. Smith wasn't when he first got on the air. He had nowhere really to go but to scream louder, because that was his schtick in the first place. 

ESPN with their second lead story of Roe vs Wade.  Do they not understand people watch sports to get away from the news?
I think it's clear that they don't.  All it takes is one athlete saying something about it and then it can become a sports- related topic on one of their many shows that features hot takes. 

ESPN with their second lead story of Roe vs Wade.  Do they not understand people watch sports to get away from the news?
Half the NBA draft was going on and on about Title IV and reminding us a million times that a black woman was hosting the draft.  The other half was Kendrick Perkins rambling on a bunch of nonsense and not being able to keep up with what team the drafted player was actually going to

Half the NBA draft was going on and on about Title IV and reminding us a million times that a black woman was hosting the draft.  The other half was Kendrick Perkins rambling on a bunch of nonsense and not being able to keep up with what team the drafted player was actually going to

Title IX

ESPN retains the US broadcast rights for Formula 1 for three additional years.  The cost increases from $5M to an estimated $75-90M/year. 

Hopefully they'll continue to show the races without commercial breaks but $75M seems beyond the realm for Mothers Car Polish.

Station has been a disaster for years and it keeps getting worse. 

As if we needed more proof that Stephen A. is just an entertaining clown and not a legit analyst, he apparently said the other day that the Chargers would be the AFC West team to score the most points in Week 1, and then seconds later when asked who'd win between the Raiders and Chargers, he picked the Raiders. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread