What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (3 Viewers)

Kyle Cheney

@kyledcheney

·

7m

JUST IN: Judge Howell says DOJ improperly redacted a recent filing to prohibit the House from learning the identities of two witnesses who *didn't* testify to the grand jury. She also adds this curious bit questioning why Mueller didn't seek to subpoena these unnamed witnesses.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1184917869005545473 - relevant quotes from judge in tweet
Follow - up - the two witnesses who did not testify before the Grand Jury were Don McGahn and Trump Jr.

Zoe Tillman@ZoeTillman ·4m

NEW: Per government filing unsealed on judge's order, former White House counsel Don McGahn and Donald Trump Jr. did not testify before the Mueller grand jury https://documentcloud.org/documents/6502875-10-20-19-Unredacted-Doc-Grand-Jury.html

Follow - up - the two witnesses who did not testify before the Grand Jury were Don McGahn and Trump Jr.

Zoe Tillman@ZoeTillman ·4m

NEW: Per government filing unsealed on judge's order, former White House counsel Don McGahn and Donald Trump Jr. did not testify before the Mueller grand jury https://documentcloud.org/documents/6502875-10-20-19-Unredacted-Doc-Grand-Jury.html
News like this makes me question the Mueller investigation again. Why didn’t they make these people testify? Why didn’t they demand that the President testify? Why wasn’t his report more determinative? I just don’t get it. 

As much as I disliked Kenneth Starr, he would not have put up with the White House’s nonsense. Starr would have gone before TV cameras and said “President Trump refuses to testify. Don McGahn refuses to testify. Don Jr. won’t testify. I’m trying to investigate this and they won’t cooperate. What are they hiding?” 

Mueller could have changed the history of the last 2 years with one little press conference. 

Just a guess on my part - but there was a sense - maybe from DOJ - that Mueller needed to hurry up.  Going to court to force McGahn and Trump Jr, and Trump to testify would have significantly lengthened the inquiry.  (It would still be going on).

Just a guess on my part - but there was a sense - maybe from DOJ - that Mueller needed to hurry up.  Going to court to force McGahn and Trump Jr, and Trump to testify would have significantly lengthened the inquiry.  (It would still be going on).
Not if he had gone to the public and said “I don’t know why they’re fighting this, I want to finish my investigation and they’re preventing it. Do you guys want me to get to the truth or not?” 

Thats how you fight legal challenges and delays. You get public opinion on your side. If Mueller had done that, Trump would have been forced to give up all attempts at delay, the same way he was forced to change his mind on Dorrell this week. 

Not if he had gone to the public and said “I don’t know why they’re fighting this, I want to finish my investigation and they’re preventing it. Do you guys want me to get to the truth or not?” 

Thats how you fight legal challenges and delays. You get public opinion on your side. If Mueller had done that, Trump would have been forced to give up all attempts at delay, the same way he was forced to change his mind on Dorrell this week. 
Did you see Mueller's testimony?

Guy lost a little bit of his fastball...

And, Trump then, is very different than Trump now.  Trump then was feisty, and have the backing of the entire GOP.  Trump today is a shell of his former self - he got beat by Turkey!  The GOP support - mostly as a result of Syria - was/is falling apart - and even more so on the Doral issue.

Did you see Mueller's testimony?

Guy lost a little bit of his fastball...

And, Trump then, is very different than Trump now.  Trump then was feisty, and have the backing of the entire GOP.  Trump today is a shell of his former self - he got beat by Turkey!  The GOP support - mostly as a result of Syria - was/is falling apart - and even more so on the Doral issue.
Eh, I don't think that's it. Mueller had an ace team.

I think if you want a puzzle piece to put in it's the Corsi indictment. Just before the 2018 election he was facing indictment. Right after in came Whitaker immediately and he was never indicted. Things wound up pretty quickly after that.

News like this makes me question the Mueller investigation again. Why didn’t they make these people testify? Why didn’t they demand that the President testify? Why wasn’t his report more determinative? I just don’t get it. 
Renato Mariotti‏Verified account @renato_mariotti

If a witness agrees to be interviewed by FBI agents, as McGahn did, typically prosecutors won’t put him in the grand jury to testify unless there’s a concern that he will later change his story. As for Trump Jr., this suggests to me that his lawyers said he would take the Fifth.

The fact that Trump Jr. didn’t testify before the grand jury suggests to me that his lawyer said he would take the Fifth if called to testify. In my experience, in that situation federal prosecutors won’t force him to take the stand and take the Fifth for a variety of reasons.

12:35 PM - 20 Oct 2019
The McGahn piece makes sense. They got everything they wanted from him.

The JUNIOR piece should be a big damned deal. 

It also means that Barr has overredacted to protect the President and his son.

Last edited by a moderator:
The investigation did not always yield admissible information or testimony, or a complete picture of the activities undertaken by subjects of the investigation. Some individuals invoked their Fifth Amendment right against compelled self-incrimination and were not, in the Office’s judgment, appropriate candidates for grants of immunity. 
- Mueller report.

Just one other thought on this: by calling someone before the GJ whatever happened was legitimately redactable. If not, like McGahn, it could all be plugged into the report. It's possible that Jr's Fifth plea has either been improperly redacted or otherwise withheld by Barr.

There certainly was pressure from Barr on this

BREAKING

Justice Dept. Is Said to Open Criminal Inquiry Into Its Own Russia Investigation

The move is likely to open the attorney general to accusations that he is trying to deliver a political victory for President Trump.

WASHINGTON — For more than two years, President Trump has repeatedly attacked the Russia investigation, portraying it as a hoax and illegal even months after the special counsel closed it. Now, Mr. Trump’s own Justice Department has opened a criminal investigation into how it all began.

Justice Department officials have shifted an administrative review of the Russia investigation closely overseen by Attorney General William P. Barr to a criminal inquiry, according to two people familiar with the matter. The move gives the prosecutor running it, John H. Durham, the power to subpoena for witness testimony and documents, to impanel a grand jury and to file criminal charges.

The opening of a criminal investigation is likely to raise alarms that Mr. Trump is using the Justice Department to go after his perceived enemies. Mr. Trump fired James B. Comey, the F.B.I. director under whose watch agents opened the Russia inquiry, and has long assailed other top former law enforcement and intelligence officials as partisans who sought to block his election.

Mr. Trump has made clear that he sees the typically independent Justice Department as a tool to be wielded against his political enemies. That view factors into the impeachment investigation against him, as does his long obsession with the origins of the Russia inquiry. House Democrats are examining in part whether his pressure on Ukraine to open investigations into theories about the 2016 election constituted an abuse of power.

Can you summarize the evidence uncovered?
To my knowledge nothing has been released yet. This shift to criminal inquiry is based on Barr and Durham's  findings so far. 

If I'm speculating, they probably found something in Italy. Possibly Misfud gave them some new information. 

I know Durham did ask for some more bodies for the investigation several weeks ago because they needed more manpower to go through their findings. 

Maria Butina just got released from prison.  Her crime was failing to submit a piece of paper.  Her life was ruined based on a slanderous smear campaign by prosecutors.  She's expected to be deported back to Russia.

Maria Butina just got released from prison.  Her crime was failing to submit a piece of paper.  Her life was ruined based on a slanderous smear campaign by prosecutors.  She's expected to be deported back to Russia.
Actually, she pleaded guilty to conspiring to act as a clandestine foreign agent. She was sentenced to 18 months in prison.

Remind me again - how was her life "ruined"?
She can't live or work here anymore, falsely tarred as a Kremlin agent that traded sexual favors for influence, imprisoned for 18 months, and had the law selectively applied to her because she's Russian.  This was for the sort of activites that happen all the time in DC (and I believe would have been entirely legal had she properly registered with the DOJ).  

She can't live or work here anymore, falsely tarred as a Kremlin agent that traded sexual favors for influence, imprisoned for 18 months, and had the law selectively applied to her because she's Russian.  This was for the sort of activites that happen all the time in DC (and I believe would have been entirely legal had she properly registered with the DOJ).  
She pleaded guilty.

Max Power said:
To my knowledge nothing has been released yet. This shift to criminal inquiry is based on Barr and Durham's  findings so far. 

If I'm speculating, they probably found something in Italy. Possibly Misfud gave them some new information. 

I know Durham did ask for some more bodies for the investigation several weeks ago because they needed more manpower to go through their findings. 
Is there somewhere I can read these things you're saying?  I'd like to see where that's been released.

She pleaded guilty to conspiring to act as a clandestine agent.  Why do you believe that's not the case?

She pleaded guilty to conspiring to act as a clandestine agent.  Why do you believe that's not the case?
She pleaded guilty to conspiring to act as an unregistered agent.  If she had registered, she would have been free and clear.  Also, sometimes people take pleas because the fight isn’t worth the risk.  

She pleaded guilty to conspiring to act as an unregistered agent.  If she had registered, she would have been free and clear.  Also, sometimes people take pleas because the fight isn’t worth the risk.  
If she had registered she wouldn't have had the access she had.  That's the whole thing.  

https://twitter.com/drradchenko/status/1186169336983146501

Just out of curiosity, I watched this programme by @VRSoloviev, available here: russia.tv/video/show/bra…. There is nothing there that remotely looks like "extolling" Tulsi Gabbard (nor is she called "the face of the Democratic Party"). Nor did I find any obsessive bashing of HRC.

When Gabbard is discussed, it's just to ridicule the notion that she is a Russian "asset," as no one seems to know much about her.

Meanwhile, this tweet by @JuliaDavisNews - which is quite literally "fake news" - gathers more than a thousand likes and retweets. @JuliaDavisNews, if you explain where you picked up that quote, I'll apologise.

People still linking this Atlantic Council checkmark that watches TV all day.  

Julia created and operates the Russian Media Monitor, analyzing Russian state media in broader context of the Kremlin’s propaganda. Her reports have been cited by The Washington Post, The Daily Beast, CNN, Rolling Stone, MSNBC, USA Today, Voice of America/Polygraph, The Hill, Raw Story, The Wrap, The International Business Times, Metro (UK), Wall Street Journal, Dallas News, as well as multiple other publications and media outlets. Julia’s articles about Russian propaganda have been read, translated and shared all over the world.

Julia is a film and television producer, director, writer and member of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, Women In Film, the Screen Actors Guild, the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association and other professional guilds and organizations. Julia was the first to produce the musical score featuring the National Ukrainian Orchestra for Paramount Pictures.

Julia has a Master’s Degree in Aviation and Spacecraft Engineering. She is multilingual and speaks several languages fluently, including English, Spanish, Russian (native speaker) and Ukrainian (native speaker).

Julia’s creative experience is vast, as an accredited producer, director, screenwriter and published author. Julia Davis is a former federal officer, having served with the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection as an Acting Supervisor. Utilizing her investigative background on Russia, Ukraine, Immigration and National Security, Julia has been featured on primetime news outlets, including CNN, HLN, Fox News, BBC, KTLA, KCLA and others, with commentary on national security, immigration, corruption, anti-terrorism, lack of whistleblower protection, human rights, civil rights, due process, as well as other issues of grave importance to all Americans.

Julia created and operates the Russian Media Monitor, analyzing Russian state media in broader context of the Kremlin’s propaganda. Her reports have been cited by The Washington Post, The Daily Beast, CNN, Rolling Stone, MSNBC, USA Today, Voice of America/Polygraph, The Hill, Raw Story, The Wrap, The International Business Times, Metro (UK), Wall Street Journal, Dallas News, as well as multiple other publications and media outlets. Julia’s articles about Russian propaganda have been read, translated and shared all over the world.

Julia is a film and television producer, director, writer and member of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, Women In Film, the Screen Actors Guild, the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association and other professional guilds and organizations. Julia was the first to produce the musical score featuring the National Ukrainian Orchestra for Paramount Pictures.

Julia has a Master’s Degree in Aviation and Spacecraft Engineering. She is multilingual and speaks several languages fluently, including English, Spanish, Russian (native speaker) and Ukrainian (native speaker).

Julia’s creative experience is vast, as an accredited producer, director, screenwriter and published author. Julia Davis is a former federal officer, having served with the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection as an Acting Supervisor. Utilizing her investigative background on Russia, Ukraine, Immigration and National Security, Julia has been featured on primetime news outlets, including CNN, HLN, Fox News, BBC, KTLA, KCLA and others, with commentary on national security, immigration, corruption, anti-terrorism, lack of whistleblower protection, human rights, civil rights, due process, as well as other issues of grave importance to all Americans.

Hide contents

Just out of curiosity, I watched this programme by @VRSoloviev, available here: russia.tv/video/show/bra…. There is nothing there that remotely looks like "extolling" Tulsi Gabbard (nor is she called "the face of the Democratic Party"). Nor did I find any obsessive bashing of HRC.

When Gabbard is discussed, it's just to ridicule the notion that she is a Russian "asset," as no one seems to know much about her.

Meanwhile, this tweet by @JuliaDavisNews - which is quite literally "fake news" - gathers more than a thousand likes and retweets. @JuliaDavisNews, if you explain where you picked up that quote, I'll apologise.
Here she is, lying. ^

How many other times has she straightup fabricated the things she saw on “Russian State TV”?  

I don't know who's taking Julia Davis as credible. Isn't she the woman who used to go on Infowars years ago and say all the things that agree with your viewpoints on whistleblowers, government agency conspiracies, etc?

I don't know who's taking Julia Davis as credible. Isn't she the woman who used to go on Infowars years ago and say all the things that agree with your viewpoints on whistleblowers, government agency conspiracies, etc?
Is she?  I don’t know- I don’t watch infowars.  

Mr. Ham said:
Low water mark in American governance. 
I am afraid I may end up agreeing with you.  This could be Watergate 2.0.  It is sickening to think Trump was illegally spied on and that whole Russian investigation was created by the Dems.  I have told my kids to pay attention as this may go down in history as a very dark time.

Is she?  I don’t know- I don’t watch infowars.  
Update.  Looked her up on LinkedIn - 99% sure it's her.  Former DHS, very self-aggrandizing, member of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association.  She's scrubbed her Infowars appearances from her list of dozens of places that have published her.  And changed her hair color.  But it's almost certainly her.

Author of "Top Prority: The Terror Within." She's just an opportunist.  Apparently a pretty good one.

Update.  Looked her up on LinkedIn - 99% sure it's her.  Former DHS, very self-aggrandizing, member of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association.  She's scrubbed her Infowars appearances from her list of dozens of places that have published her.  And changed her hair color.  But it's almost certainly her.

Author of "Top Prority: The Terror Within." She's just an opportunist.  Apparently a pretty good one.
I looked up a clip of her to trying to find out if this was the same Julia Davis.  She must have lost a ton of weight, because I was convinced this wasn't the same person.  But sure enough, she links to the same documentary in the bio you posted. 

This is hilarious.  Nice find.  

I am afraid I may end up agreeing with you.  This could be Watergate 2.0.  It is sickening to think Trump was illegally spied on and that whole Russian investigation was created by the Dems.  I have told my kids to pay attention as this may go down in history as a very dark time.
Only dark because we actually have people believing this crap. Trump wasn't illegally spied upon and the investigation wasn't created by the Dems.

Here she is, lying. ^

How many other times has she straightup fabricated the things she saw on “Russian State TV”?  
I'll think about coming back to you on this, but to be clear, we're talking about how Butina will be treated when she gets home. You really doubt she will be greeted warmly and celebrated by the Kremlin?

Only dark because we actually have people believing this crap. Trump wasn't illegally spied upon and the investigation wasn't created by the Dems.
This is why Joe is shutting this forum down.  For good reason because it’s really just another venue for outright lies to be peddled as “alternate facts.”

This is why Joe is shutting this forum down.  For good reason because it’s really just another venue for outright lies to be peddled as “alternate facts.”
I think Joe is considering shutting this down because too few stand up and take the responsibility to say "even if I believe a post is in poor form / is "the reason" this forum is so bad, I will respond in a more constructive manner, as opposed to make the situation worse"

FWIW, I've certainly been guilty of that.

And to be fair to that poster, what "outright lies" do you mean? Let's be clear here in an effort to have more constructive discussion. What lies are they, and how can you show they are outright lies?

I think Joe is considering shutting this down because too few stand up and take the responsibility to say "even if I believe a post is in poor form / is "the reason" this forum is so bad, I will respond in a more constructive manner, as opposed to make the situation worse"

FWIW, I've certainly been guilty of that.
I’ll be honest, I’m at a loss as to how we respond in a rational, constructive manner to that which is irrational, irresponsible, and devoid of any shred of integrity or truth. 

The bad guys won.  This is exactly what they want. 

And to be fair to that poster, what "outright lies" do you mean? Let's be clear here in an effort to have more constructive discussion. What lies are they, and how can you show they are outright lies?
There was no spying on Trump, let alone illegal spying on Trump.  A two-fer lie.  

And that’s just one post. 

Users who are viewing this thread