What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (13 Viewers)

It's not a defense. Just wanted people to know Obama gave money to a country that confirmed paid bounties on American lives. 
I wasn't referring to you, but the WH. - As for your point, it wasn't the one you wanted to make but it was the one you did make, establishing the Taliban has a long history of taking money for killing Americans. - As for Obama, what you're accusing him of is leveling sanctions against Iran for supporting terrorism and then acting diplomatically to use that to counter their behavior elsewhere. If Trump did something, anything along these lines in opposition to Russia it would be better, at least in some way minimally decent. Instead of getting shoehorned into a multination nuclear deal, Russia has been let out of one nuke deal, INF, and will soon be let out of another, START, and the Open Skies pact to boot. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I know exactly which raid they are talking about here and it had nothing to do with Russians. That was linked to a regional kidnapping for profit network. The person kidnapped was American, but had no association with the DoD. 
The U.S. is investigating whether any Americans died as a result of the Russian bounties. Officials are focused in particular on an April 2019 attack on an American convoy. Three U.S. Marines were killed after a car rigged with explosives detonated near their armored vehicles as they returned to Bagram Airfield, the largest U.S. military installation in Afghanistan.

The Marines exchanged gunfire with the vehicle at some point; however, it’s not known if the gunfire occurred before or after the car exploded.

Abdul Raqib Kohistani, the Bagram district police chief, said at the time that at least five Afghan civilians were wounded after the attack on the convoy, according to previous reporting by the AP. It is not known if the civilians were injured by the car bomb or the gunfire from U.S. Marines.

The Defense Department identified Marine Staff Sgt. Christopher Slutman, 43, of Newark, Delaware; Sgt. Benjamin Hines, 31, of York, Pennsylvania; and Cpl. Robert Hendriks, 25, of Locust Valley, New York, as the Marines killed in April 2019. The three Marines were all infantrymen assigned to 2nd Battalion, 25th Marines, a reserve infantry unit headquartered out of Garden City, New York.

Hendriks’ father told the AP that even a rumor of Russian bounties should have been immediately addressed.

“If this was kind of swept under the carpet as to not make it a bigger issue with Russia, and one ounce of blood was spilled when they knew this, I lost all respect for this administration and everything,” Erik Hendriks said.
AP

From pandering to Putin to abusing allies and ignoring his own advisers, Trump's phone calls alarm US officials

- This is more of a long and devastating article about Trump's complete, abject failure in foreign policy as President.
There is so much awfulness in that story, one horrible thing after another.

In calls with foreign leaders, “There was no sense...of the United States as an historic force with certain democratic principles and leadership of the free world...The opposite. It was like the United States had disappeared. It was always 'Just me'."

American officials provided a written briefing in late February to President Trump laying out their conclusion that a Russian military intelligence unit offered and paid bounties to Taliban-linked militants to kill U.S. and coalition troops in Afghanistan, two officials familiar with the matter said.

The investigation into the suspected Russian covert operation to incentivize such killings has focused in part on an April 2019 car bombing that killed three Marines as one such potential attack, according to multiple officials familiar with the matter.

The new information emerged as the White House tried on Monday to play down the intelligence assessment that Russia sought to encourage and reward killings — including reiterating a claim that Mr. Trump was never briefed about the matter and portraying the conclusion as disputed and dubious.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/us/politics/russian-bounty-trump.html?

Sorry, but I just don't see it that way.

Lots of assumptions and hearsay and outright lies that were presented as facts.
So, lots of smoke but no fire?

You don’t believe Trump knew about the bounty issue?   And, if he only just learned about it (as if), I must have missed what he either thinks or plans to do about it. 

but you’re going with: total fabrication?  Really?

I haven't heard of many Trump voters doing a 180.  It may seem like the cult is getting smaller but until people actually vote I'm not sold on Biden's 20 point lead.
Yep, I don’t know anybody here or any of my social media Trump loving  contacts that have turned on this guy. If they could admire a narcissist like Trump they obviously would never have it in them to admit they were wrong. It will be Trump all the way come hell  or high water.

Yep, I don’t know anybody here or any of my social media Trump loving  contacts that have turned on this guy. If they could admire a narcissist like Trump they obviously would never have it in them to admit they were wrong. It will be Trump all the way come hell  or high water.
I know one in real life and a couple on social media who voted for him in 2016 and won’t be this time around but yeah, the majority definitely seem to be with him until the end. 

I don’t even see the more moderate Trump supporters I know breaking away from him at this point. They just shrug off every awful thing he does and say while they don’t like him as a person they’ll still vote for him because he gives us the best chance at turning around the economy quickly.

I know one in real life and a couple on social media who voted for him in 2016 and won’t be this time around but yeah, the majority definitely seem to be with him until the end. 

I don’t even see the more moderate Trump supporters I know breaking away from him at this point. They just shrug off every awful thing he does and say while they don’t like him as a person they’ll still vote for him because he gives us the best chance at turning around the economy quickly.
I found a place to visit and watch videos of Republicans who opposed Trump the entire time or voted for Trump in 2016 but won’t in 2020. Good place to go when you are wondering what the h*** is wrong with this country.

https://rvat.org/

My elderly in-laws who are solid red voters here in GA have turned from Trump. They're simply not voting this year.

My elderly in-laws who are solid red voters here in GA have turned from Trump. They're simply not voting this year.
That is fantastic to hear! I'd encourage them to vote 3rd party to make a stand that the 2 party option isn't giving them a valid option but even if they won't vote Biden, those are still votes that Trump is losing.

The Trump voter who I know in real life that flipped is also in Georgia, and I'm in Georgia as well and will be voting Biden after sitting out in 2016. Obviously you can't fully trust the polls, but they are looking much more favorable for Biden than I expected. Trump looks to be spending some ad money here too which makes me think his campaign thinks he's at some risk for possibly losing it. If GA somehow flips or is even close in November, Trump is in big trouble.

That is fantastic to hear! I'd encourage them to vote 3rd party to make a stand that the 2 party option isn't giving them a valid option but even if they won't vote Biden, those are still votes that Trump is losing.

The Trump voter who I know in real life that flipped is also in Georgia, and I'm in Georgia as well and will be voting Biden after sitting out in 2016. Obviously you can't fully trust the polls, but they are looking much more favorable for Biden than I expected. Trump looks to be spending some ad money here too which makes me think his campaign thinks he's at some risk for possibly losing it. If GA somehow flips or is even close in November, Trump is in big trouble.
Stacey Abrams may tilt the scale for GA if she is selected.  Screw Kamala, California will go blue no matter what.

Fake news...yes...Breitbart is fake news...the point isn't whether there is supposed evidence of this or not...its now the President lying about whether he was briefed.  You know this...so the point of this link and claiming everyone just fell for "fake news" serves what purpose?

This will be the defense.

"Well everyone knows he doesn't read the briefing! He really didn't know about it!" *

His incompetence will turn into his defense. We've seen it before.

*Not an actual quote yet, but will be soon.
It's always his defense. It was the defense Ben Shapiro just gave for the "white power" video. Trump doesn't have the attention span to have watched the video. He just saw the first 2 seconds with a Trump 2020 sign on a golf cart and hit RT. I love that an actual defense for the President is, he isn't capable of paying attention to anything for more than 5 seconds. 

It's always his defense. It was the defense Ben Shapiro just gave for the "white power" video. Trump doesn't have the attention span to have watched the video. He just saw the first 2 seconds with a Trump 2020 sign on a golf cart and hit RT. I love that an actual defense for the President is, he isn't capable of paying attention to anything for more than 5 seconds. 
Pretty much...also, on the same note...how is that extreme vetting coming for what was supposed to be a temporary travel band (you know the one that really wasn't about banning muslims, but actually was)?  I mean I know he wasn't supposed to do that personally...but maybe the guy needs to be on twitter tape delay and have someone vet his stuff before posting.  That POTUS would tweet something and have  "I didn't know" as an excuse is utterly ridiculous.

Was listening to Lawfare Podcast yesterday. Had the author of The Demagogue's Playbook on. Was a fascinating listen. The description of a demagogue was so spot on it was scary. I can't remember the exact wordage, but wikipedia has a list of methods by which demagogues have manipulated and incited crowds throughout history.

And holy #### is this Trump in a nutshell or what?

Scapegoating

Fearmongering

Lying

Emotional oratory and personal charisma

Accusing opponents of weakness and disloyalty

Promising the impossible

Violence and physical intimidation

Personal insults and ridicule

Vulgarity and outrageous behavior

Folksy posturing

Gross oversimplification

Attacking the news media

From pandering to Putin to abusing allies and ignoring his own advisers, Trump's phone calls alarm US officials

- This is more of a long and devastating article about Trump's complete, abject failure in foreign policy as President.
Nothing in this article is at all surprising, which is why we have more talk about some stupid guillotine display than this.  But people should read this.  Just painful to think that we've put our country in this man's hands.

One article uses a named source who confirms something. The other uses unnamed sources who claim something. 

I shouldnt be surprised the non cited article is the one people consider real news. After 3.5 years of russia hoax and still in the same trap...
The problem is these guys WANT the bad news to be true so badly they believe everything.  Anonymous tipsters published by biased sources.  They just lap it up.  

I haven't heard of many Trump voters doing a 180.  It may seem like the cult is getting smaller but until people actually vote I'm not sold on Biden's 20 point lead.
More eligible voters did not vote than vote for Trump or Clinton in 2016, it could just be a portion of those people deciding it was worth voting this year rather than many people changing their minds. 

This is false.  
The DOD statement is an example of how completely snafu'd up beyond all belief this administration has become.

First sentence refers to intelligence, and DOD says it has been investigating it, which is what MSM (AP, NYT, WSJ, Wapo, foreign press, hell even Stars and Stripes) has reported. Second sentence says, "open source" reports, which is, media, news sites, which reads as fake news. Third sentence says yep that thing in the first sentence is totally being taken seriously and they've been taking countermeasures on this thing which in the second sentence they just called totally false.

Meanwhile, the CIA has its own statement.  - Which is consistent with the reports that this is real and is being taken seriously.

The ODNI has a statement, the former Director ODNI tweeted a statement, the WH press secretary has made statements, the President has tweeted statements on his private twitter account. All we see here is the administration in total disarray.

One article uses a named source who confirms something. The other uses unnamed sources who claim something. 

I shouldnt be surprised the non cited article is the one people consider real news. After 3.5 years of russia hoax and still in the same trap...
Breitbart is not a reliable source...KD knows this...he questions legitimate sources yet keeps trotting out BB.  Its not a legitimate source.

And when someone just states Russia Hoax...its clear they don't want to actually discuss facts, legit sources...or much of anything in an honest manner.

Same trap...believing what Breitbart says...ignoring the entire conversation about what the President knew right now vs what corroborated the overall story...seems some are falling for the trap alright.

“The Department of Defense continues to evaluate intelligence that Russian GRU operatives were engaged in malign activity against United States and coalition forces in Afghanistan. To date, DOD has no corroborating evidence to validate the recent allegations found in open-source reports," aid Chief Pentagon Spokesman Jonathan Hoffman.

--

What does this mean?

The problem is these guys WANT the bad news to be true so badly they believe everything.  Anonymous tipsters published by biased sources.  They just lap it up.  
Sorry...this is hilarous.

Really really funny to claim its other people believing biased sources...while defending and posting Breitbart...one of the more biased sources there is...there is no way you are serious with this...so why post it?  

Sorry...this is hilarous.

Really really funny to claim its other people believing biased sources...while defending and posting Breitbart...one of the more biased sources there is...there is no way you are serious with this...so why post it?  
Please post about content and not sniping at other posters.  TIA. 

Please post about content and not sniping at other posters.  TIA. 
It was a response to your post and did nothing to snipe you...take your own advice please and quite complaining when someone replies to your posting about them...the hypocrisy is a bit much.

It was a response to your post and did nothing to snipe you...take your own advice please and quite complaining when someone replies to your posting about them...the hypocrisy is a bit much.
That was a general post to anther positive poster. 

Regardless, thanks for the Conservative Treehouse recommendation.  Good stuff.  

That was a general post to anther positive poster. 

Regardless, thanks for the Conservative Treehouse recommendation.  Good stuff.  
It was a general post that was sniping other posters...clear as day.

Nothing good comes out of the Conservative Treehouse...stop the schtick.  Its tired.

“On March 30, Russian leader Vladimir Putin and U.S. President Donald Trump spoke by telephone, the first of five calls between the two over a period of three weeks, a flurry of communication unprecedented during Trump’s 3 1/2 years in office,” reports Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFERL).

Only one of those five calls, according to research from NCRM, was shared with the press. None were posted to the White House website, a serious deviation from prior practice.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/busted-trump-engaged-in-3-week-flurry-of-communication-with-putin-this-year-and-the-white-house-hid-some-of-the-calls/
Another aspect to this is that per reports Trump was briefed February 27th. The peace deal with the Taliban - which IIRC also involved the Russians (don't know why they are invited to our peace deal but ok...) - happened 2 days later I believe. It seems absolutely beyond impossible to believe that the IC and NSC would not want the President to be briefed on this subject matter by his team. I also recall recently that there was a story on the administration changing who was handling the PDB, maybe redirecting it through a political appointee. Not sure if this was Kash Patel or who. This also overlaps with a new Chief of Staff and a new ODNI Director. The alternative possible versions right now are: 1. Trump was briefed and he knew, 2. Trump was briefed and he doesn't read/hear it or most of it, 3. Trump was not briefed because the lackeys around him keep out info they think will displease him. There is something really, really fd up going on here regardless.

“On March 30, Russian leader Vladimir Putin and U.S. President Donald Trump spoke by telephone, the first of five calls between the two over a period of three weeks, a flurry of communication unprecedented during Trump’s 3 1/2 years in office,” reports Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFERL).
One other aspect of this is the above, and maybe it's just coincidental, since this April 23rd report Trump has been very aggressive in overturning the VOA program, which includes RFEL, which often is a source for Russian diplomatic, intelligence and military scoop out of Europe itself.

knowledge dropper said:
"The Pentagon said in a statement late Tuesday evening that it had no corroborating evidence that Russian operatives offered bounties to the Taliban for American soldiers stationed in Afghanistan."

I read this like four times. Checked my calendar. This story was published on Monday, June 29. Why does it say "statement late Tuesday evening..."? Even better, why hasn't that been corrected if it's supposed to be late Monday evening? 

I've been working from home for a long time and have lost track of days. For a second there I thought "Is today Wednesday already?"

whoknew said:
“The Department of Defense continues to evaluate intelligence that Russian GRU operatives were engaged in malign activity against United States and coalition forces in Afghanistan. To date, DOD has no corroborating evidence to validate the recent allegations found in open-source reports," aid Chief Pentagon Spokesman Jonathan Hoffman.

--

What does this mean?
What part is confusing to you?

They continue to evaluate the intelligence, but they have no evidence to validate the NYT story that Russia was offering bounties.

The NSA has also come out to say they have no information on Russian bounties either. 

Users who are viewing this thread