What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (7 Viewers)

An investigation is a long way from an impeachment.
Sure but mr roboto didn't stipulate a time horizon. I think Trump eventually has to deal with the repercussions.

Shimon ProkupeczVerified account‏@ShimonPro

Shimon Prokupecz Retweeted Shimon Prokupecz

Short time ago @PressSec response to our story. "We didn't try to knock the story down. We asked them to tell the truth."
So Spicey confirms the story involving Priebus and the FBI. It looks like this is going to be the spin, "We asked them to tell the truth.".  This is either pure hubris on the part of Priebus or it he's getting sloppy/panicky. Either way, the optics of this situation are awful.

Sure but mr roboto didn't stipulate a time horizon. I think Trump eventually has to deal with the repercussions.

So Spicey confirms the story involving Priebus and the FBI. It looks like this is going to be the spin, "We asked them to tell the truth.".  This is either pure hubris on the part of Priebus or it he's getting sloppy/panicky. Either way, the optics of this situation are awful.
The mere fact that the Preibus approached the FBI to discuss the criminal investigation of the administration is reprehensible, regardless if the request was asked that they shoot down some of the media stories or asked them to tell the truth.  It's as if he doesn't understand that this, at best, violates DOJ policy and at worst, runs perilously close to obstruction.

So many unforced errors.

Taking a big ol step back, you don't make this request--and then make repeated follow-up calls to the Director--if you're not really ####### nervous and want to suppress public info.

The mere fact that the Preibus approached the FBI to discuss the criminal investigation of the administration is reprehensible, regardless if the request was asked that they shoot down some of the media stories or asked them to tell the truth.  It's as if he doesn't understand that this, at best, violates DOJ policy and at worst, runs perilously close to obstruction.

So many unforced errors.

Taking a big ol step back, you don't make this request--and then make repeated follow-up calls to the Director--if you're not really ####### nervous and want to suppress public info.
I don't know why but this made me laugh pretty hard. It's like a hybrid car or some campy swamp monster from an 80s B horror movie. 

Saints:

The flags or the fact that they were confiscated?
Waving the flags of another country, and one that has 6000 nukes pointed at us, one that just conducted cyber warfare on us, one that has an antidemocratic agenda, one that is attempting to bring down NATO and the EU, all by self-professed 'patriots'. Etc. All of it, disgusting.

As for the confiscation, in the social media age, once it's out it's out, might as well let their freak flag fly high.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I guess the hacked text from Manafort's daughter isn't as big as originally thought? There's plenty of great information in this thread but when you jump on every apparent link and don't question it, the thread tends to read as a conspiracy message board thread. Same with the Trump thread. Every single story is posted and dissected and believed and those that are clearly proven false later are just thrown to the side and ignored because there will always be something else the next day. It really is incredible what is going on.

Yea. I'm in the camp that there is no way those people were at CPAC professing legitimate patriotism for Russia. I would imagine they were a group in opposition to Trump.

So I guess the hacked text from Manafort's daughter isn't as big as originally thought? There's plenty of great information in this thread but when you jump on every apparent link and don't question it, the thread tends to read as a conspiracy message board thread. Same with the Trump thread. Every single story is posted and dissected and believed and those that are clearly proven false later are just thrown to the side and ignored because there will always be something else the next day. It really is incredible what is going on.
what's been proven false exactly? granted there is little that's been proven definitively true, but so much smoke suggests some fire. 

Jamny did you read the discussion? SSD did a good job on this.

I don't think you're actually reading the thread. I think people are definitely questioning and examining, if you read the thread you'll see that. No one wants to land on the wrong conclusion here, just trying to figure things out. IMO:

- Manafort was obviously definitely caught up in the Ukrainian black books scandal.

- Someone, likely pro-Putin Ukrainian or RIS or in Putin's government, posed as Leshchenko to threaten or mock Manafort knowing he knew he would turn up in the Ukraine investigation.

- Someone - from the same group as above - hacked Manafort's daughter's phone. That is a long play, but that is definitely the nature of kompromat.

- eta - The point here also appears to drag down Leshchenko inside Ukraine.

Was the whole Crimean invasion about trying to restore Russian influence, or possibly resume Yanukoviches corrupt deals?  
I think the Crimean invasion followed the same pattern as the Georgia invasion in 2008-09.

Faced with a former republic that had turned decidedly pro-West, pro-democracy, pro-EU & maybe pro-NATO, Putin shaved off a corner to essentially block further expansion of such ties. NATO's move into the former eastern bloc left Putin believing, maybe with some justification, that NATO would move into those countries next.

There are other reasons: Putin's weakness at home during the most recent elections was real, invading Ukraine gave rise to the theory of Novorossiya and the new nationalism to martial popular support. In addition important pipeline and shipping routes for oil and gas run through Crimea. And also the naval access to the Black Sea and access to the mideast which Crimea is uniquely positioned for. A lot of the naval supply going on in Syria would have been impossible without Crimea.

And yes, the weight of Russian and pro-Russian business depended on the pro-Putin Yankovych and his faction being in power. Manafort helped bring that faction to power. Yanukovych being overthrown put all that - big, big business - in jeopardy. Since Russia is an oligarhical kleptocracy those interests took precedence over true national interests.

When Yanukovich  was outed in Feb 2014, a bunch of Russian oligarch's deals went sour.  

In March, the Russians invaded Crimea and the sanctions came up.
Technically, the Russians invaded Ukraine-Crimea in February, when Yanukovych was still in power, albeit in his last days.

Could Trump have something caught up in that mess?
No idea.

An article posted further up indicated Trump was investing in Crimea or trying to in the mid 'aughts (apx. 2005 or after IIRC).

If the texts to Manafort were relaying true information, then it also makes sense that Manafort could have hit up Trump for money in the 2012 parliamentary elections for Regions candidates in an effort to pay to play and gain business there in return.

Just IMO.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/cpac-russia-prank

Confirmed that the flags were handed out by a protest group pranking attendees who didn't realize it was a Russian flag.
Charter, 22, told TPM by phone that he and Clayton organized the prank in order to "honor Trump's relationship with Putin." He said almost no one at CPAC seemed to realize the flag he handed them bore the horizontal red, white, and blue stripes of the Russian Federation underneath Trump's name.

"I think it says a lot about Donald Trump's base and their education level," he said. "I don't want to insult anyone, but I think you should know what the Russian flag is. They are one of the world's major powers, and it's a pretty easily recognized flag."
what a ####### joke.  HTF can you claim to have any opinion on any foreign relations matter whne you can't identify a Russian flag?  CPAC attendees should be embarrassed at their own stupidity.

Paul Manafort, the former Donald Trump campaign manager who resigned over his lobbying work in the Ukraine for pro-Russian government, has taken out over $19 million in home equity loans in New York City in the past five years, in an escalating series of transactions that includes one particularly large and unusual loan from a banker on Trump’s Economic Advisory Council.

The loan data was compiled from public sources by two New York attorneys, Julian Russo and Matthew Termine, who published it on a blog. It’s not clear what Manafort is up to, but it’s almost certainly not what home equity loans are designed for, which is home improvement. “It feels like we’re seeing a small piece of the bigger picture here,” Russo told The Intercept.
https://theintercept.com/2017/02/24/former-trump-campaign-manager-paul-manafort-took-out-19-million-in-puzzling-real-estate-loans

The cynic in me wonder how soon until Issa flips back to covering for Trump?  

In any case, the fact that Issa came out for a special prosecutor shows how slim Republicans view their advantages in swing districts and that this story matters in those districts.  I may not like him politically, but Issa is good at reading the tea leaves.

Trump, Putin and the New Cold War

Two weeks before the Inauguration, intelligence officers briefed both Obama and Trump about a dossier of unverified allegations compiled by Christopher Steele, a former British intelligence officer. The thirty-five-page dossier, which included claims about Trump’s behavior during a 2013 trip to Moscow, had been shopped around to various media outlets by researchers opposed to Trump’s candidacy. The dossier concluded that Russia had personal and financial material on Trump that could be used as blackmail. It said that the Russians had been “cultivating, supporting, and assisting” Trump for years. According to current and former government officials, prurient details in the dossier generated skepticism among some members of the intelligence community, who, as one put it, regarded it as a “nutty” product to present to a President. But, in the weeks that followed, they confirmed some of its less explosive claims, relating to conversations with foreign nationals. “They are continuing to chase down stuff from the dossier, and, at its core, a lot of it is bearing out,” an intelligence official said. Some officials believe that one reason the Russians compiled information on Trump during his 2013 trip was that he was meeting with Russian oligarchs who might be stashing money abroad—a sign of disloyalty, in Putin’s eyes.
The article is extensive, I'd definitely recommend reading it.

How much long will the clueless libs push this agenda now that most of Trump's cabinet is made of of people who don't like Russia? 

Users who are viewing this thread