What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (3 Viewers)

Totally agree.  No way trump ever resigns. 
I wouldn't bet on that. This is the man who can never fire anyone to their face. who needs to hold campaign rallies even when he's not campaigning for anything. Just to surround himself with people who believed his bull####. He knows he's getting trapped into a corner. All the walls are closing in on him. His money isn't going to get him out of it for the first time in his life.  no one knows how he's going to react, but it would not surprise me one bit if he just quit like the pansy he is

enough of these releases, like those accompanying the Cohen ones and there will be no need for the actual report. It will all be laid out in the preceding indictments.
Won’t be enough to get him to resign.  And I think you need a report if you are going to hope for impeachment.  

I wouldn't bet on that. This is the man who can never fire anyone to their face. who needs to hold campaign rallies even when he's not campaigning for anything. Just to surround himself with people who believed his bull####. He knows he's getting trapped into a corner. All the walls are closing in on him. His money isn't going to get him out of it for the first time in his life.  no one knows how he's going to react, but it would not surprise me one bit if he just quit like the pansy he is
Did you see the apprentice where he fired someone every week...

What is absolutely stunning is the Republican party in congress. I still think there is a tipping point, but I cannot believe that their sense of honor is buried so deep,.
The tipping point is, and always has been, economic/financial turmoil IMO. They saw Trump as an opportunity to line their pockets (and they were correct), but once that ship sails, there's no use clinging onto him.

Seriously, this story is insane and these writers are trying like crazy to avoid making judgments. 

Mr. Moreno had signaled during his campaign that he would like to wash his hands of Mr. Assange. And last December, Ecuador began carrying out the plan to move Mr. Assange to Russia as a diplomat, which would require him to become an Ecuadorean citizen.
Anyone ever heard of this plan to get Assange to Russia? I haven't. Apparently if this is true the whole reason he became Ecuadorian... was so he could go to Russia (not Ecuador).

But a subsequent effort to grant Mr. Assange diplomatic status, and the immunity that would come with it, was rejected by the British government.
They said Mr. Manafort suggested he could help negotiate a deal for the handover of Mr. Assange to the United States, which has long investigated Mr. Assange for the disclosure of secret documents and which later filed charges against him that have not yet been made public.
So the Brits stopped it.

It's not actually confirmed that Assange has been charged but yep NYT you just do you. And that definitely wasn't known in May 2017. It could easily be guessed at by everyone on the planet, but much of what Assange might be wanted for, the Vault7/8 hacks, didn't occur until later that year.

The writing here is so dense and purposefully vague that it's almost impossible to understand, but gosh it sounds like Person A who is implicated with Person B and Person C tried to arrange for Person B's freedom with Person C by trading favors with Person D who it just so happens was the beneficiary of their possibly illegal arrangement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, this story is insane and these writers are trying like crazy to avoid making judgments. 

Anyone ever heard of this plan to get Assange to Russia? I haven't. Apparently if this is true the whole reason he became Ecuadorian... was so he could go to Russia (not Ecuador).

So the Brits stopped it.

It's not actually confirmed that Assange has been charged but yep NYT you just do you. And that definitely wasn't known in May 2017. It could easily be guessed at by everyone on the planet, but much of what Assange might be wanted for, the Vault7/8 hacks, didn't occur until later that year.

The writing here is so dense and purposefully vague that it's almost impossible to understand, but gosh it sounds like Person A who is implicated with Person B and Person C tried to arrange for Person B's freedom with Person C by trading favors with Person D who it just so happens was the beneficiary of their possibly illegal arrangement.
There is so much in that article. Apparently Manafort is the Forest Gump of shady international deals. How long until we find out he was in North Korea helping them acquire nuclear weapons? 

I think Trump has taken the wrong message from his lawyers’ claim that the president can’t be prosecuted. Trump assumes this means he can do whatever he wants.
To be fair, he's been free of any consequences despite a lifetime of shady behavior and that was without the power of the presidency. He has good reasons to think he's effectively untouchable. Someday it'll probably backfire on him but he's 72 years old and halfway through his term. He's had a good run of this behavior being condoned at almost every turn. 

What is absolutely stunning is the Republican party in congress. I still think there is a tipping point, but I cannot believe that their sense of honor is buried so deep,.
The Republican Party Is the Single Greatest Threat to the American Republic

This doesn't really touch on anything Russia, or even Trump, but the fact a headline like this could be about a lot of issues and you have to guess if you don't read the article speaks to the state of their 'honor'.

Stop holding out hope for these bags of trash. They're traitors and cowards, every one. Flush every last Republican down the drain and hope someday decency within the party can blossom again. 

I just keep coming back to, even beyond directly colluding with the Ruskies, how can Trump supporters possibly reconcile their support for a man who surrounded himself with so many low lifes and criminals.  Dudes he had real relationships with and entrusted his campaign and decisions with but who he now just trashes as if they were never part of his life.

It's like we're living in the twilight zone.  :loco:

I just keep coming back to, even beyond directly colluding with the Ruskies, how can Trump supporters possibly reconcile their support for a man who surrounded himself with so many low lifes and criminals.  Dudes he had real relationships with and entrusted his campaign and decisions with but who he now just trashes as if they were never part of his life.

"Clinton death squad, Obamacare lies, butteremails!! Benghazi!!!!"

/theusualsuspects

Potential big day ahead imo.  I think Mueller has a court filing due today in Flynn case - no idea when it will be filed.

Friday will be the filing in the Manafort case.

He won't have the appetite for it by Feb/March. He's losing ground and even he cannot ignore it. At his pinnacle with a fully operating QAnon he might have tried it, but that ship has sailed. He might get the local sheriff support in a few flyover states, but the US military and intelligence services will not back his fool's errand.
Whatever happened to QANON?  I mean it was in the Today show at one point.  My SIL was all in.  Shes not real bright and very impressionable but even she shut up. 

“I will never testify against Trump.” This statement was recently made by Roger Stone, essentially stating that he will not be forced by a rogue and out of control prosecutor to make up lies and stories about “President Trump.” Nice to know that some people still have “guts!”

10:48 AM - Dec 3, 2018

Check out @realDonaldTrump’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1069619316319035392?s=09

---

Still reeling over this. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned

They just keep singing “I don’t care if it rains or freezes, long as I got my plastic Jesus...riding on the dashboard of my car.”  

They really are low lifes. Anyone still supporting this clown is either too stupid to realize how bad he is, too evil to care, or too greedy to stop the gravy train.  

he needs some new material...

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account 

Bob Mueller (who is a much different man than people think) and his out of control band of Angry Democrats, don’t want the truth, they only want lies. The truth is very bad for their mission!

7:56 AM - 3 Dec 2018

If Mueller is so bad for the country, why won't Trump fire him, and then back up his claims?

Seems to me that Trump is becoming complicit in Mueller's mission against the USA by allowing the investigation to continue...

If Mueller is so bad for the country, why won't Trump fire him, and then back up his claims?

Seems to me that Trump is becoming complicit in Mueller's mission against the USA by allowing the investigation to continue...
well, that's Q's theory so you're onto something here.  apparently, they are secretly working together to bring down the Clintons and Obama....

Or go tell him the 'truth' that he seems Mueller doesn't understand.

Bob Mueller (who is a much different man than people think) and his out of control band of Angry Democrats, don’t want the truth, they only want lies. The truth is very bad for their mission!

He literally writes like a 10 year old.  

Why doesn't he just sit down with Bob and explain the truth to him, under oath, in public?  He's got one of the best brains ever, he has never done anything illegal, so what's the hold up? 

This tweet by Herr Trump is actually interesting:

“Michael Cohen asks judge for no Prison Time.” You mean he can do all of the TERRIBLE, unrelated to Trump, things having to do with fraud, big loans, Taxis, etc., and not serve a long prison term? ... He lied for this outcome and should, in my opinion, serve a full and complete sentence.
This sentencing update, Friday, is really a big deal for Trump. If Cohen is getting a really sweet deal it undercuts one of Trump's primary tools, the promise or hope of a pardon. 

Why doesn't he just sit down with Bob and explain the truth to him, under oath, in public?  He's got one of the best brains ever, he has never done anything illegal, so what's the hold up? 
This is what no one can figure out. Why doesn't Don just sit with Bob and tell him exactly what went down? It's almost as if he has something to hide.

I still prefer the out of control band, The Angry Samoans. 

There's a laundry list of crimes committed by Mueller here: https://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-justice/371206-robert-muellers-forgotten-surveillance-crime-spree

his former colleague on Mueller here: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/conflicts-of-interest-and-ethics-robert-mueller-and_us_5936a148e4b033940169cdc8

here's the time Mueller was granted immunity from prosecution for post-9/11 abuses.  Ruling that Muslim detainees had no right to sue Mueller and other Bush officials for crimes committed against them: https://consortiumnews.com/2017/06/21/at-fbi-mueller-oversaw-post-911-torture/

What a good man.  It must be nice being a connected Beltway insider.  

Certainly, Trump’s ethical standards are low, but if sleaziness were a crime then many more people from our ruling class would be in jail. It is sleazy, but not criminal, to try to find out in advance what WikiLeaks has on Hillary Clinton. It is sleazy, but not criminal, to take a meeting in Trump Tower with a Russian lawyer promising a dossier of dirt on Clinton. (Just as, it should be mentioned, it is sleazy, but not criminal, to pay a guy to go to Russia to put together a dossier of dirt on Trump. This is one reason why the Clinton campaign lied about its connection to the Steele dossier, albeit without the disadvantage of being under oath.) It is sleazy, but not criminal, to pursue a business deal while you’re running for president. Mueller has nailed people for trying to prevaricate about their sleaze, so we already have a couple of guilty pleas over perjury, with more believed to be on the way. But the purpose of the investigation was to address suspicions of underlying conspiracy—that is, a plan by Trump staffers to get Russian help on a criminal effort. Despite countless man-hours of digging, this conspiracy theory, the one that’s been paying the bills at Maddow for a couple of years now, has come no closer to being borne out. (Or, as the true believers would say, at least not yet.)

Partisanship is hostile to introspection, but at some point maybe we’ll look back and think again about what was unleashed in the panic over Russian influence. Trump’s White House has pursued what is arguably the harshest set of policies toward Russia since the fall of Communism—hardly something to celebrate—yet nearly all the pressure, from the center-left as much as the right, is toward making it even tougher. As for those tapping along to S.N.L. songs in praise of Mueller and his indictments, they might want to remember that Trump won’t always be in office. The weapons you create for your side today will be used by the other side against you tomorrow. Do we really want the special-counsel investigation to become a staple of presidential life? It’s a creation with few boundaries on scope and a setup that encourages the selection of a suspect followed by a search for the crime, rather than the other way around. This caused calamities in the era of Bill Clinton, and it doesn’t get any better just because the partisan dynamics are reversed.

Let’s take a moment to consider Mueller himself. The cut of his jib is likable, and the trad Brooks Brothers vibe of his wardrobe is a perfect complement to his job title. But it’s hard to avoid the suspicion that he’s playing a political game at this point. To be fair, I’m vulnerable to confirmation bias of my own in this assessment, since about a year ago I suggested that Mueller was going to drag out his investigation until 2019, when Democrats were likely to be back in charge of the House, and seeing a prediction play out can lead to unwarranted certitude. But the reports we’re starting to see suggest a man who’s fallen prey to the same state of mind that warped Ken Starr—namely disgust over the people you’re investigating and a desire to justify the sunk capital.

Our justice system gives prosecutors a frightening amount of power as it is, and nothing tempts misuse of it quite like the belief in a narrative in the face of a disappointing witness. George Papadopoulos has told people he pleaded guilty to perjury because Mueller was threatening to prosecute him as an unregistered agent of Israel. Jerome Corsi insists that Mueller was (and is) threatening him with a raft of indictments unless he signed on to an untrue story of how he came to believe (or know) that WikiLeaks had hacked the e-mails of John Podesta.

We don’t know why Mueller feels Manafort is lying to prosecutors, but we do know that Mueller is either asking him about things that have little to do with Manfort’s guilty plea, i.e. acting as an unregistered agent of Ukraine, or else asking him things that have little to do with the original purpose of Mueller’s investigation, i.e. Russian conspiracy. The former would mean Mueller was tempting Manafort, deliberately or not, to make up a story to please federal prosecutors (“not just sing,” but “also compose,” as a judge on the case warned last May). The latter would mean Mueller was getting out on tangents and allowing his investigation, Starr-style, to lapse into a shape-shifting creature with few self-imposed limits. Furthermore, solitary confinement is severe punishment, and Manafort has been in it for months. No one doubts that Manafort is a liar, and everyone knows he’s maneuvering for a presidential pardon. He should go to jail for his financial fraud. But that doesn’t mean Mueller is proceeding with a proper sense of proportion or self-restraint.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/12/a-trump-haters-guide-to-mueller-skepticism

Certainly, Trump’s ethical standards are low, but if sleaziness were a crime then many more people from our ruling class would be in jail. It is sleazy, but not criminal, to try to find out in advance what WikiLeaks has on Hillary Clinton. It is sleazy, but not criminal, to take a meeting in Trump Tower with a Russian lawyer promising a dossier of dirt on Clinton. (Just as, it should be mentioned, it is sleazy, but not criminal, to pay a guy to go to Russia to put together a dossier of dirt on Trump. This is one reason why the Clinton campaign lied about its connection to the Steele dossier, albeit without the disadvantage of being under oath.) It is sleazy, but not criminal, to pursue a business deal while you’re running for president. Mueller has nailed people for trying to prevaricate about their sleaze, so we already have a couple of guilty pleas over perjury, with more believed to be on the way. But the purpose of the investigation was to address suspicions of underlying conspiracy—that is, a plan by Trump staffers to get Russian help on a criminal effort. Despite countless man-hours of digging, this conspiracy theory, the one that’s been paying the bills at Maddow for a couple of years now, has come no closer to being borne out. (Or, as the true believers would say, at least not yet.)

Reveal hidden contents
Partisanship is hostile to introspection, but at some point maybe we’ll look back and think again about what was unleashed in the panic over Russian influence. Trump’s White House has pursued what is arguably the harshest set of policies toward Russia since the fall of Communism—hardly something to celebrate—yet nearly all the pressure, from the center-left as much as the right, is toward making it even tougher. As for those tapping along to S.N.L. songs in praise of Mueller and his indictments, they might want to remember that Trump won’t always be in office. The weapons you create for your side today will be used by the other side against you tomorrow. Do we really want the special-counsel investigation to become a staple of presidential life? It’s a creation with few boundaries on scope and a setup that encourages the selection of a suspect followed by a search for the crime, rather than the other way around. This caused calamities in the era of Bill Clinton, and it doesn’t get any better just because the partisan dynamics are reversed.

Let’s take a moment to consider Mueller himself. The cut of his jib is likable, and the trad Brooks Brothers vibe of his wardrobe is a perfect complement to his job title. But it’s hard to avoid the suspicion that he’s playing a political game at this point. To be fair, I’m vulnerable to confirmation bias of my own in this assessment, since about a year ago I suggested that Mueller was going to drag out his investigation until 2019, when Democrats were likely to be back in charge of the House, and seeing a prediction play out can lead to unwarranted certitude. But the reports we’re starting to see suggest a man who’s fallen prey to the same state of mind that warped Ken Starr—namely disgust over the people you’re investigating and a desire to justify the sunk capital.

Our justice system gives prosecutors a frightening amount of power as it is, and nothing tempts misuse of it quite like the belief in a narrative in the face of a disappointing witness. George Papadopoulos has told people he pleaded guilty to perjury because Mueller was threatening to prosecute him as an unregistered agent of Israel. Jerome Corsi insists that Mueller was (and is) threatening him with a raft of indictments unless he signed on to an untrue story of how he came to believe (or know) that WikiLeaks had hacked the e-mails of John Podesta.

We don’t know why Mueller feels Manafort is lying to prosecutors, but we do know that Mueller is either asking him about things that have little to do with Manfort’s guilty plea, i.e. acting as an unregistered agent of Ukraine, or else asking him things that have little to do with the original purpose of Mueller’s investigation, i.e. Russian conspiracy. The former would mean Mueller was tempting Manafort, deliberately or not, to make up a story to please federal prosecutors (“not just sing,” but “also compose,” as a judge on the case warned last May). The latter would mean Mueller was getting out on tangents and allowing his investigation, Starr-style, to lapse into a shape-shifting creature with few self-imposed limits. Furthermore, solitary confinement is severe punishment, and Manafort has been in it for months. No one doubts that Manafort is a liar, and everyone knows he’s maneuvering for a presidential pardon. He should go to jail for his financial fraud. But that doesn’t mean Mueller is proceeding with a proper sense of proportion or self-restraint.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/12/a-trump-haters-guide-to-mueller-skepticism
Just keep clinging to that last branch of hope.

Hey, who knows, maybe this is actually the ONE thing Trump hasn't lied about yet.

Reveal hidden contents

That's actually imprecise.  The underlying conspiracy investigation is simply investigating whether the two parties collaborated regarding a criminal act.  That's a very different statement.  It encompasses either party helping the other on a criminal effort and it encompasses utilizing the criminal effort of the other party in an illegal or improper way or in exchange for illegal or improper actions, regardless if the other party aided in the initial criminal act.

There's a laundry list of crimes committed by Mueller here: https://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-justice/371206-robert-muellers-forgotten-surveillance-crime-spree

his former colleague on Mueller here: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/conflicts-of-interest-and-ethics-robert-mueller-and_us_5936a148e4b033940169cdc8

here's the time Mueller was granted immunity from prosecution for post-9/11 abuses.  Ruling that Muslim detainees had no right to sue Mueller and other Bush officials for crimes committed against them: https://consortiumnews.com/2017/06/21/at-fbi-mueller-oversaw-post-911-torture/

What a good man.  It must be nice being a connected Beltway insider.  
Ha, maybe I'll look at those, separately, but let's say there's this argument about Mueller, somewhere.... ok there's <<waves arms wildly>> {all that}, and then there's Jerome Corsi.

Make whatever substantive argument you want but I'd suggest extracting Corsi from it.

Certainly, Trump’s ethical standards are low, but.....

Reveal hidden contents

GOOD STUFF AS ALWAYS!!

AP Politics‏Verified account @AP_Politics

FollowFollow @AP_Politics

More

BREAKING: House GOP campaign committee says it was victim of 'cyber intrusion' during 2018 campaign, has notified FBI.

9:24 AM - 4 Dec 2018

:coffee:  Message from Putin perhaps?
I suspect this is more for the "see, they are hacking us too, we can't be part of the group!!!!!!" sort of thing.  Transparent CYA sort of thing.  Something just dumb enough for the base to lap up.

Bucky86 said:
BuzzFeed News‏Verified account @BuzzFeedNews

FollowingFollowing @BuzzFeedNews

More

NEW: More than 400 former Justice Department officials and attorneys signed a statement saying they're "disturbed" by Matthew Whitaker's appointment as acting attorney general https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/zoetillman/justice-department-matthew-whitaker-attorney-general?bftwnews&utm_term=4ldqpgc#4ldqpgc …

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1070045354601664512
who wouldn't be?  The FTC was shocked he was allowed to get a justice dept job let alone chief of staff to the AG while they were investigating HIS ROLE in a fraud scheme.  The guy shouldn't have a job in the DOJ let alone the top job...it's just a function of our imbecilic president and his absurd choices for various positions....

Users who are viewing this thread