What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Shark Pool Hype Machine (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otis

Footballguy
What I find to be absolutely hilarious is after ONE, count it, ONE big game out of this Gado kid, folks in several threads are annointing him "starter material," a great keeper for next year, a starting NFL back, etc.Folks, relax. Take a deep breath. He had ONE big game.Is Nick Goings tearing up the NFL as a starter this year? He finished with a bunch of huge games at the end of last year and, lo and behold, he is a fantasy nobody today.If the kid rushes for 100 and 3 every week through the end of the season, maybe then we can start talking about him as the future. For now, Gado is nothing more than a plug-in for folks making a run at it this year. He is just as likely to be worthless come week 1 next year (maybe even more likely) as he is to become something worthwhile.The hype machine that is the shark pool sometimes astounds me...

Last edited by a moderator:
What I find to be absolutely hilarious is after ONE, count it, ONE big game out of this Gado kid, folks in several threads are annointing him "starter material," a great keeper for next year, a starting NFL back, etc.

Folks, relax. Take a deep breath. He had ONE big game.

Is Nick Goings tearing up the NFL as a starter this year? He finished with a bunch of huge games at the end of last year and, lo and behold, he is a fantasy nobody today.

If the kid rushes for 100 and 3 every week through the end of the season, maybe then we can start talking about him as the future. For now, Gado is nothing more than a plug-in for folks making a run at it this year. He is just as likely to be worthless come week 1 next year (maybe even more likely) as he is to become something worthwhile.

The hype machine that is the shark pool sometimes astounds me...
The reason why there's so much hype is that if you can find that one player who breaks out it can help you win it all. There are players every year that emerge as fantasy studs after an injury to the guy ahead of them. This is especially true for RBs. To get a starting RB off the waiver wire, essentially free, is a real big deal.

Just like Reuben Droughns last year, right? No good...one big game....Week 5 2004: 30-193-0. Just a one-week wonder, right?Week 6 2004: 38-176-1. Geez, must be an abberationWeek 7 2004: 24-110-0. Must be luck....And you know the rest of the story.

What I find to be absolutely hilarious is after ONE, count it, ONE big game out of this Gado kid, folks in several threads are annointing him "starter material," a great keeper for next year, a starting NFL back, etc.

Is Nick Goings tearing up the NFL as a starter this year? He finished with a bunch of huge games at the end of last year and, lo and behold, he is a fantasy nobody today.

If the kid rushes for 100 and 3 every week through the end of the season, maybe then we can start talking about him as the future. For now, Gado is nothing more than a plug-in for folks making a run at it this year. He is just as likely to be worthless come week 1 next year (maybe even more likely) as he is to become something worthwhile.

The reason why there's so much hype is that if you can find that one player who breaks out it can help you win it all. There are players every year that emerge as fantasy studs after an injury to the guy ahead of them. This is especially true for RBs. To get a starting RB off the waiver wire, essentially free, is a real big deal.
I understand that, and I've already said he is a great play for a team hurting at RB and looking to make a run at it this year, but to be annointing him a franchise back next year AT THIS POINT is absolute lunacy.Then again, it is perfectly in line with the typical in-season shark pool hype machine.

Just like Reuben Droughns last year, right? No good...one big game....

Week 5 2004: 30-193-0. Just a one-week wonder, right?

Week 6 2004: 38-176-1. Geez, must be an abberation

Week 7 2004: 24-110-0. Must be luck....

And you know the rest of the story.
Thanks for proving my point. Droughns did it for a half-season. I have no problem with folks at the end of last year suggesting that Droughs was a solid dynasty keeper and a prospect for starting RB in '06. Gado did it one week. One.

Just like Reuben Droughns last year, right?  No good...one big game....

Week 5 2004: 30-193-0.  Just a one-week wonder, right?

Week 6 2004: 38-176-1.  Geez, must be an abberation

Week 7 2004: 24-110-0.  Must be luck....

And you know the rest of the story.
Thanks for proving my point. Droughns did it for a half-season. I have no problem with folks at the end of last year suggesting that Droughs was a solid dynasty keeper and a prospect for starting RB in '06. Gado did it one week. One.
Well, Droughns is starting to look more and more like a good dynasty RB. I'd rather get Gado and be wrong than take a "one week proves nothing" approach and miss the boat. I bought the early hype on Droughns and I'd say it paid off so far....so far on Gado as well.And just to clarify....he's had one HUGE week and one very servicable week (71 total yards and a TD is pretty good in many leagues). I'd say he's two for two thus far.

The point is that if you wait for him to prove it for half a season, then it's already too late and someone else has him.I really don't understand why people feel the need to make these kind of posts every couple days. Gado probably has just a good a chance of never getting another NFL carry after this year as he does being the starter in GB next year......WE KNOW.No one is saying he's the next Walter Payton, but if some people think he's looked good enough that they want to grab him in a keeper league and hope that maybe he does develope this into a trend rather than a couple good games, more power to them.It would be nice if we could all wait 8 months and watch the guy before we commit to him, but we can't. Fantasy football is all about predicting how a player will play in the future based on whatever evidence or reason we have to go by. A couple good games, he hasn't really proven anything long term...WE GET IT. But neither has Cedric Benson, or Cadillac Williams, or Braylon Edwards, heck even Michael Vick, yet you don't exactly see those guys sitting on many free agent lists.I'm 7-3 and in first place in one of my leagues right now with a pretty lousy team because I was willing to throw Parker (even in week 1) and Gado in there right away while other people took the "wait and see" approach and missed the boat. Without those guys, I'm lucky to be 5-5.Again, this is fantasy football. He hasn't proven that he will ever score another touchdown in his entire career, but this is a game where you can't wait for players to do that before you commit to them, just ask the guys who passed on Domanick Davis as a one week wonder.And don't kid yourself into thinking people weren't jumping on the Droughns or DD bandwagons until 8 weeks of steady production. People were all over them right off the bat as well so no, your point about them doesn't really do much for you.

I'm assuming because no real RB has broken through this year so far like in year's past. Willie Parker, but that was at week 1 and he died off early once the others got healthy there. There really hasn't been a RB that just came out of no where because of an injury or some other matter and became a good starter. We're more than 1/2 way through the season and Gado looks like the likely candidate, so these guys are going to go nuts about him.I like Gado for this year, not so sure about the future. He's got a lot of heart, but he needs to be in shape. He's going to get injured if he doesn't and he's going to be alwfully tired and wore down as well. I am glad he got a chance though, you gotta love the longshots. Now he'll at least get backups jobs for another 5 years if nothing else comes of this. It'll keep him in the NFL for sure.All in all, I agree with you though. I made a post about Thomas Jones and where he'll be next year, and one guy says not GB because they have Gado. Now unless he keeps this pace up for the rest of the year, I really don't see the GB management letting A. Green and Davenport go because they have Gado. He isn't exactly the type of RB to build your team around... unless things have changed in the last 3 days.

Hey Otis, I was able to pick up MBIII & the Nigerian Nightmare from free agency during the last two week and let me say I very happy I spent the free agent money on these two gentelmen. This is in my re-draft league and them moves vaulted me from 10th place to 5th place and within striknig distance of second place. Yes , a lot of hype was given to these two players, but if you waited tooo long reading hype then you probibaly missed out in free agency. The one thread that sold me on Gado was a person who went to school with him and told us Gado's head was screwed on propertly and he was a straight kid. Hype is good for us searching for the NEXT Miracle but you still have to do your own research and then drop players from your squad to make room for a Miracle Worker, hopefully.I've been burnt before with free agency moves, as most of us, players develop over time and there is no way to get that experience except in game time.As FWP did in the start of the year us owners of these last 2 Miracle workers hope the Ball Keeps going in the right direction for US.

You guys in the prior few posts are missing my point.I never once suggested you should not pick up Gado. Of course you should. What is the harm in taking a chance on him?But the problem I have is not that people are picking him up, not that people are starting him, but that people are annointing him a NFL franchise back in '06. The cart is so often before the horse around here...

For owners that drafted Priest, Deuce, KJ, Dillon, Dom Davis, etc in the 1st round, Gado is not hype. RB's are hard to come by this time of the year. Any RB that gets 20+ carries a game is pure gold, especially if you have one of your starters injured or out for the season.I don't really care what Gado does next year. I just care what he does the next few weeks. All signs point to him continuing to provide a decent level of production.And as far as next year goes, Gado sure looks a lot like a Rudi Johnson type back to me. Not speedy, but has good size, gets positive yardage and has a nose for the endzone. It's much too early to tell if he could ever be a franchise back, but he has shown some good attributes so far.

I'd actually say he had 2 good weeks. He did pretty well against the Steelers, even though his 26-62-1 doesn't say it, he was up against one of the best D's against the run. Even some of the best RBs in the league put up numbers like that against the Steelers (and by no means am I saying this kid ranks among the best in the league yet).

Folks, relax.  Take a deep breath.  He had ONE big game.

Is Nick Goings tearing up the NFL as a starter this year?  He finished with a bunch of huge games at the end of last year and, lo and behold, he is a fantasy nobody today.

If the kid rushes for 100 and 3 every week through the end of the season, maybe then we can start talking about him as the future.  For now, Gado is nothing more than a plug-in for folks making a run at it this year.  He is just as likely to be worthless come week 1 next year (maybe even more likely) as he is to become something worthwhile.

Thanks for bringing some credibility back into the pool. :thumbup:

Hey Otis........he started for me in 2 leagues last week, so he is starter material. He got me 30 points, that's huge. He's definately consideration for a RB2 slot and flex spot.

You guys in the prior few posts are missing my point.

I never once suggested you should not pick up Gado. Of course you should. What is the harm in taking a chance on him?

But the problem I have is not that people are picking him up, not that people are starting him, but that people are annointing him a NFL franchise back in '06.

The cart is so often before the horse around here...
Yes, but this post already differs from your initial post. In your initial post, you say that you are upset that people are calling him "starter material." Well, he is starter material. With all the injuries that's happened this year, he's definately going to find his way into lineups.

I never once suggested you should not pick up Gado.  Of course you should.  What is the harm in taking a chance on him?

But the problem I have is not that people are picking him up, not that people are starting him, but that people are annointing him a NFL franchise back in '06. 

Yes, but this post already differs from your initial post. In your initial post, you say that you are upset that people are calling him "starter material."
BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!

Folks, relax.  Take a deep breath.  He had ONE big game.

Is Nick Goings tearing up the NFL as a starter this year?  He finished with a bunch of huge games at the end of last year and, lo and behold, he is a fantasy nobody today.

If the kid rushes for 100 and 3 every week through the end of the season, maybe then we can start talking about him as the future.  For now, Gado is nothing more than a plug-in for folks making a run at it this year.  He is just as likely to be worthless come week 1 next year (maybe even more likely) as he is to become something worthwhile.

:goodposting: see moe williams 2002, rudi johnson 2003, nick goings 2004...

these kind of pickups in the 2nd half of the season can really help out

is it wrong to speculate his chances n 2006.. I am not "annoiting him" but he has done more for me in the last 2 weeks than caddy has in the last 4.....that being said... training camp is 9 months away? we'll seewhat kind of heart he really has... he should be able to be in top NON game no hit condition by then.. and if the pack doesn't take a RB in the first two rounds of the draft...it COULD be his job to lose...

Plus, this board isn't the only one "annoiting" him. Mort did it last night on ESPN - said he is going to have a long and bright future in the NFL.

I'd actually say he had 2 good weeks. He did pretty well against the Steelers, even though his 26-62-1 doesn't say it, he was up against one of the best D's against the run. Even some of the best RBs in the league put up numbers like that against the Steelers (and by no means am I saying this kid ranks among the best in the league yet).
i'd gladly take 12 fantasy points from a ww rb :thumbup:

is it wrong to speculate his chances n 2006.. I am not "annoiting him" but he has done more for me in the last 2 weeks than caddy has in the last 4.....

that being said... training camp is 9 months away? we'll seewhat kind of heart he really has... he should be able to be in top NON game no hit condition by then.. and if the pack doesn't take a RB in the first two rounds of the draft...it COULD be his job to lose...
Never mind Caddy, how about Ahman Green. When's the last time he's had 3 Td's in a game?

Not labeling Gado a starter just yet, but people were raving about DD after his 1 big game two years ago too.Gado has shown some determination in his running, I don't think you can say he's not "starter material" just yet. Jury is still out.

Not labeling Gado a starter just yet, but people were raving about DD after his 1 big game two years ago too.

Gado has shown some determination in his running, I don't think you can say he's not "starter material" just yet. Jury is still out.
Precisely, but I never said that, and I'm not out there posting threads about what a bum he is. I'm simply saying that AS USUAL people here are jumping the gun.OH MAN I AM SO EXCITED 4 NEXT SEASON THIS IS AWESOM I A HAHAH WHO SHOULD I KEEP GADO OR EDGE OR SJAX I DUNNO CUZ GADO HAD 3 TDS AND IS THRE FUTURE IN GB WITH THE OTHER GUYS OUT

GL peeassssssssssssssssssssss

is it wrong to speculate his chances n 2006.. I am not "annoiting him" but he has done more for me in the last 2 weeks than caddy has in the last 4.....

that being said... training camp is 9 months away? we'll seewhat kind of heart he really has... he should be able to be in top NON game no hit condition by then.. and if the pack doesn't take a RB in the first two rounds of the draft...it COULD be his job to lose...
Never mind Caddy, how about Ahman Green. When's the last time he's had 3 Td's in a game?
Yes yes, Gado must be better than Caddy and Ahman. Good point. :wall:

I swear to god, the Shark Pool sometimes makes me feel like those times when my girlfriend is in hysterics over some completely trivial nonsense and I am shaking her and have to slap her or splash cold water on her face to get her back to reality.

that being said... training camp is 9 months away?  we'll seewhat kind of heart he really has... he should be able to be in top NON game no hit condition by then.. and if the pack doesn't take a RB in the first two rounds of the draft...it COULD be his job to lose...
Yes yes, Gado must be better than Caddy and Ahman. Good point. :wall:
did I say he was better? NO, I said he has done more for me than caddy.....if I were I a GM, and could pick ANY RB, of course I would select LT and Caddy over Gado....

BUT, news flash, I am NOT an NFL GM, I am some schmuck in the Midwest looking to fill the gap on a lousy FF team for a few weeks... and maybe, sorry here is where the FUN part comes in.. and more of the FANTASY... i got a cheap guy who MAY have a future in my RB depleted league... maybe not.. .but we can TALK about it... discussions..

sorry

what was the question?

I swear to god, the Shark Pool sometimes makes me feel like those times when my girlfriend is in hysterics over some completely trivial nonsense and I am shaking her and have to slap her or splash cold water on her face to get her back to reality.
:i'llbetit'stheotherwayaround:

So, we're talking what, maybe 10 or 15 posters out of nearly 20000 registered users?

Hmm, methinks you're the one who's overreacting.

:potkettle:

I never once suggested you should not pick up Gado.  Of course you should.  What is the harm in taking a chance on him?

Yes, but this post already differs from your initial post. In your initial post, you say that you are upset that people are calling him "starter material."
BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!
:goodposting:

I believe that discussing a RB's future for a team who has two unrestricted free-agents coming of surgery, actually has quite a lot of merit.I'm not saying that Gado is the second coming of OJ Simpson but he might be the second coming of Rudi Johnson.. I'd rather see the Shark Pool have that discussion sooner rather than later.

:goodposting: Considering the several leagues other options prior to Gado were bench fodder like Michael Bennett, Patrick Pass and Travis Henry and now you have a RB that can get 18-25 carries a week. In 14 team leagues, right now, he's money.

Yes, the roof might fall in on Gado, who really knows.

In the short term, dealing with injuries and dissapointing players, he is a starter.

I also just think he's a nice bye week/injury fill in, however we have to play matchups, I am starting him this week home VS Minn (2nd week in a row on the road) over RUDI VS INDY.........LET THE BASHING BEGIN! :boxing:

I just think it's hilarious that everyone is talking about him as a keeper next year. I've already said a dozen times he is a great pickup for guys playing for THIS year. I hope you all also kept Nick Goings into this season after his big finish last year. That was a very solid keeper right there. :sarcasm:

While I agree the jury is still out on Gado's long-term potential if you are in a keeper and/or dynasty league it makes terrific sense to grab him. The Packers' running game will likely undergo a massive change next season. Green and Davenport are both free agents and it's a strong possibility neither one will return. The Packers would be smart to draft a RB early but even if they do that, if Gado impresses he will (at worst) head into their mini-camps and possibly training camp as the incumbent starter. From there, who knows what will happen? But it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility that he could be the guy next season.I remember when people were calling Rudi Johnson a fluke two seasons ago and then the Bengals dumped Corey Dillon and Johnson has proven to be a strong starting running back.So while it's too premature to say Gado is a fantasy stud in the making, it's also too premature to say he's just a flash in the pan. We're going to learn a lot about Gado in these remaining seven games.

Not labeling Gado a starter just yet, but people were raving about DD after his 1 big game two years ago too.

Gado has shown some determination in his running, I don't think you can say he's not "starter material" just yet.  Jury is still out.
Precisely, but I never said that, and I'm not out there posting threads about what a bum he is. I'm simply saying that AS USUAL people here are jumping the gun.OH MAN I AM SO EXCITED 4 NEXT SEASON THIS IS AWESOM I A HAHAH WHO SHOULD I KEEP GADO OR EDGE OR SJAX I DUNNO CUZ GADO HAD 3 TDS AND IS THRE FUTURE IN GB WITH THE OTHER GUYS OUT

Link to the "folks in several threads are annointing him "starter material," = what you posted above. TIA.

Gado has shown some determination in his running, I don't think you can say he's not "starter material" just yet. Jury is still out.

Link to the "folks in several threads are annointing him "starter material," = what you posted above. TIA.
Let's not confuse a team's franchise "starter material" back with a guy who is starting because the first two players on the depth chart blew out knees and ankles. See, e.g., Nick Goings. I obviously did not mean to suggest that Gado could not start a game, nor did I suggest that he cannot be successful in a game. The very clear and obvious point is just because a team starts this guy out of desperation and he has one huge game doesn't mean he will be a franchise back next year (which, if you scour the Shark Pool posts today on Gado, on Dynasty Prospects, etc., seems to many to already be a foregone conclusion).

No need to be so literal, it's hard enough to control the hysterics around here without that.

Gado has shown some determination in his running, I don't think you can say he's not "starter material" just yet.  Jury is still out.

No need to be so literal, it's hard enough to control the hysterics around here without that.
Maybe you should apply that same statement to the Gado posts??? :shrug: FWIW, I'm still watching the team that snagged Davis and Rudi before they were proven dominate our keeper league.

Friggin' hilarious! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

While I agree the jury is still out on Gado's long-term potential if you are in a keeper and/or dynasty league it makes terrific sense to grab him. The Packers' running game will likely undergo a massive change next season. Green and Davenport are both free agents and it's a strong possibility neither one will return. The Packers would be smart to draft a RB early but even if they do that, if Gado impresses he will (at worst) head into their mini-camps and possibly training camp as the incumbent starter. From there, who knows what will happen? But it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility that he could be the guy next season.

I remember when people were calling Rudi Johnson a fluke two seasons ago and then the Bengals dumped Corey Dillon and Johnson has proven to be a strong starting running back.

So while it's too premature to say Gado is a fantasy stud in the making, it's also too premature to say he's just a flash in the pan. We're going to learn a lot about Gado in these remaining seven games.
:goodposting: Gado has a chance to have much more value than Goings did last year. If he performs at this level through the rest of the year, GB will not be able to ignore his production when making decisions for next year. Of course, Gado may flop. But his future value is all tied to his potential to perform this year.

I just think it's hilarious that everyone is talking about him as a keeper next year. I've already said a dozen times he is a great pickup for guys playing for THIS year.

I hope you all also kept Nick Goings into this season after his big finish last year. That was a very solid keeper right there.
Well, I haven't really seen people pimping Gado as a great keeper myself, but even still, it certainly makes sense to mention his name as one, because who knows.You can bring up Nick Goings all you want, and the people you're arguing against can bring up Domanick Davis or Rudi Johnson just as quickly, and Gado has looked a lot better than either of those two did in their first two games. The fact is we have no idea whether he'll end up starting in Green Bay next year, but if people are willing to speculate that he will and put a reason behind it, well that's exactly what these forums are here for.

I just think it's hilarious that everyone is talking about him as a keeper next year. I've already said a dozen times he is a great pickup for guys playing for THIS year.

I hope you all also kept Nick Goings into this season after his big finish last year. That was a very solid keeper right there.
Well, I haven't really seen people pimping Gado as a great keeper myself, but even still, it certainly makes sense to mention his name as one, because who knows.You can bring up Nick Goings all you want, and the people you're arguing against can bring up Domanick Davis or Rudi Johnson just as quickly, and Gado has looked a lot better than either of those two did in their first two games. The fact is we have no idea whether he'll end up starting in Green Bay next year, but if people are willing to speculate that he will and put a reason behind it, well that's exactly what these forums are here for.
If people had been going bonkers over Dom Davis and Rudi Johnson after 1 game, I would have the same reaction. And yes, Gado could turn out to be good, I never once said he couldn't, I never once said he was a "flash in the pan." All I said was that people often times get way, way, way far ahead of themselves in the Shark Pool.

I just think it's hilarious that everyone is talking about him as a keeper next year.  I've already said a dozen times he is a great pickup for guys playing for THIS year. 

I hope you all also kept Nick Goings into this season after his big finish last year.  That was a very solid keeper right there.
If people had been going bonkers over Dom Davis and Rudi Johnson after 1 game, I would have the same reaction. And yes, Gado could turn out to be good, I never once said he couldn't, I never once said he was a "flash in the pan." All I said was that people often times get way, way, way far ahead of themselves in the Shark Pool.
Gotta do that if you're going to stay ahead in this day and age.

Gotta do that if you're going to stay ahead in this day and age.
Once again, I never said you should not pick up Gado. I'm saying let's hold off on annointing him a franchise back for an NFL team next year until he has started more than one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread