What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trent Richardson Thread (4 Viewers)

There's some talk in here about how he's a power back who needs volume and to be used int he right way, etc., etc. While much of this may be true, what's missed is that when you start saying those things, we've already moved the goal posts of the debate because you're now talking about Trent Richardson like he's Shonn Greene. If someone wants to say that Trent could go on to have a Shonn Greene type career, I would find that believable. But think a moment about what the expectations were when he came out of college.
I fail to see how saying a guy needs to be a volume back makes him Shonn Greene. That's an absurd point A to point B thought process.

Why can't it mean he's Marshawn Lynch? You know a highly drafted guy who showed promise, got traded, and barely broke 3 YPC his first 6 games with the Seattle.

I'm not saying his career is going to go exactly the way of Lynch's but just pointing out it's not the first time a RB got traded and struggled out of the gate with his new team either and it does not make you Shon Greene.
Sure, I'll give you TRich for your Marshawn Lynch. Since you are apparently getting a younger LYNCH, you'd surely do that trade.

I wonder how people and experts will rank Trent in 2014. RB2? RB3 with upside? RB4 to be drafted in the double digit rounds?
Well...assuming Donald Brown comes back and he makes ZERO improvement throughout the year, RB3/Flex play.

Trent actually improves or shows that in training camp he can handle the offense in a 3 down roll? RB2 with upside, RB1 if they go bananas at the goal line with him.

EBF......tough to wade through the muck, mud and just pure folly to read your informative posts.

I have the same strong opinion on Lamar Miller and go through the same BS in that thread.

Unfortunately the SP has become a troll infested mess.

Keep posting though. I have always enjoyed your in-site.....even when I told you you were nuts about Chris Johnson not having enough BMI to be a stud :o

I am with you on Richardson. In a dynasty league he is a strong hold...and next year will be the proving grounds IMO with a full off-season and camp with the Colts.

Time will tell.

In the meantime this is a lost season. Obviously.

Great NFL runningbacks will show signs of greatness no matter how they are used. Richardson has been given ample opportunity to look great, and hasn't. He will never ever be a great runningback in the NFL. He may be a decent fantasy back in the right situation. If you threw an Eric Dickerson, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Adrian Peterson, or any great runningback into the Colts offense they would be huge week 1. Runningback is much more of an instinctual position than say WR which requires prestine route running and developing timing with a QB. Richardson is what is what he is.

The def. key on Trent every time he is in the game...they pack the box....the def. does not play the same way when Brown is in the game. They are running against two different def. schemes...that is why you see drown bust big runs....just watch the games don't just look at the stat lines they don't tell the whole story...when Trent is given a small hole to run through he is pretty good...

The def. key on Trent every time he is in the game...they pack the box....the def. does not play the same way when Brown is in the game. They are running against two different def. schemes...that is why you see drown bust big runs....just watch the games don't just look at the stat lines they don't tell the whole story...when Trent is given a small hole to run through he is pretty good...
Yeah, that's bunk.

You can look up runs during similar situations. The only time Trest's ypc > Donald's ypc is in 3rd and short situations.

I've watched him, and I disagree. The stats support what I see: a guy with very little burst, vision, and speed, and a lesser football player than Donald Brown.

I don't know that it can't change. Perhaps he can lose some weight, get a better understanding of the offense, and break out of his mental slump (which he's admitted to). But he's looked like crap and anyone that suggests otherwise is - in my opinion - deciving themselves.

I've watched him, and I disagree. The stats support what I see: a guy with very little burst, vision, and speed, and a lesser football player than Donald Brown.

I don't know that it can't change. Perhaps he can lose some weight, get a better understanding of the offense, and break out of his mental slump (which he's admitted to). But he's looked like crap and anyone that suggests otherwise is - in my opinion - deciving themselves.
Yup. He's been awful.

That said, he can still be a good fantasy player if they decide to start throwing him the ball (good sign last week). That will allow him to stay in the game long enough to get a few TDs. He's not a 4YPC runner. You watch him, you see it. It's not hard. He's not a good real-life running back. But we're talking fantasy (and specifically, I'm talking PPR), and especially with Wayne out, Luck is going to need a safety blanket. Richardson has generally had good hands, has generally been a good blocker (still needs to do this in Indy) and seems to be a plus runner when he catches the ball out wide.

Great NFL runningbacks will show signs of greatness no matter how they are used. Richardson has been given ample opportunity to look great, and hasn't. He will never ever be a great runningback in the NFL. He may be a decent fantasy back in the right situation. If you threw an Eric Dickerson, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Adrian Peterson, or any great runningback into the Colts offense they would be huge week 1. Runningback is much more of an instinctual position than say WR which requires prestine route running and developing timing with a QB. Richardson is what is what he is.
:shock:

The bears keyed in on Lacy last night, having 8 in the box almost every play, yet he was able to run through them for 150 yards. Trich is not facing 8 man fronts and can't do anything.

I have read this thread in spurts so I don't know how much I am repeating from others. Richardson has not been very good this season in any role. The jury however is way to early in dynasty to jump ship. People need to be concerned but too early to give up on him.

People that say Donald Brown looks better are correct. However, Donald Brown is not some free agent schmuck that was pulled in off the street. Brown himself was supposed to be a very good RB in the nfl and was taken at pick 1.27 by the Colts in 2009. The one concerning thing I have for Richardson is his vision. He has the power, the strength and decent enough speed to be a very good rb in the NFL. The problem is if you can't see where you should be running you will struggle. I don't know how fixable this is as I am sure it has a lot to do with instincts. The colts O line is not good and therefore if holes close up you have to find where to go and fast. Richardson does not do a good enough job at this. Watching a guy like Lacy in his rookie year continually finding the right places to run are what I am not sure Richardson will ever be able to do.

As a T-Rich owner, I am trying to be a believer. But after watching this last game more attentively, I'm not believing the hype. It's like he is just blasting into the line where the hole is "supposed" to be when there is nothing there. Like he has zero field vision. There were times there was a huge running lane...perhaps on the other side of the line, but he would just run in to the backs of the o-linemen on the play side (?). I couldn't help but think if he would just take a moment and let the play develop or take a moment to see if a lane opens he would be ok. But he doesn't. Maybe run down the line until a lane opens THEN hit up field! This is what Donald Brown does at this point in time. Thus Brown being more productive. T-Rich, AT THIS POINT IN TIME, is nothing more than a plodder. Is it the system? Is it him not having a full grasp on how the play is designed? Maybe Indy was too quick to throw in the towel on D. Brown? They certainly appear to have egg on their face after giving up a 1st rounder for Richardson. Hope the guy figures it out soon.

This thread feels like what I imagine an AA meeting is. I've lurked since the trade. I've hoped with all hope that something would come of this first round pick that I took in a keeper league to team up with Forte and Calvin and a bunch of other top talent that would easily get me to the promise land this year thanks to having a ton of extra draft picks. He was going to fit perfectly with Welker and DeShean and Julius and Gronk and the stacked team that would be unstoppable where Doug Martin was a bench/flex option.

Now, I find myself in a bye week/injury/long term view position actually thinking of dropping him for........................... a kicker. Because Gostowski is on bye. A kicker.

Dropping a first round RB who was supposed to be a stud is hard. Doing it for a kicker is painful. Yet, here I go........ clicking the buttons..................... unreal.

Hi, my name is Yankee23fan..........

This thread feels like what I imagine an AA meeting is. I've lurked since the trade. I've hoped with all hope that something would come of this first round pick that I took in a keeper league to team up with Forte and Calvin and a bunch of other top talent that would easily get me to the promise land this year thanks to having a ton of extra draft picks. He was going to fit perfectly with Welker and DeShean and Julius and Gronk and the stacked team that would be unstoppable where Doug Martin was a bench/flex option.

Now, I find myself in a bye week/injury/long term view position actually thinking of dropping him for........................... a kicker. Because Gostowski is on bye. A kicker.

Dropping a first round RB who was supposed to be a stud is hard. Doing it for a kicker is painful. Yet, here I go........ clicking the buttons..................... unreal.

notice how he headed off the "who's your kicker?" replies?

As a T-Rich owner, I am trying to be a believer. But after watching this last game more attentively, I'm not believing the hype. It's like he is just blasting into the line where the hole is "supposed" to be when there is nothing there. Like he has zero field vision. There were times there was a huge running lane...perhaps on the other side of the line, but he would just run in to the backs of the o-linemen on the play side (?). I couldn't help but think if he would just take a moment and let the play develop or take a moment to see if a lane opens he would be ok. But he doesn't. Maybe run down the line until a lane opens THEN hit up field! This is what Donald Brown does at this point in time. Thus Brown being more productive. T-Rich, AT THIS POINT IN TIME, is nothing more than a plodder. Is it the system? Is it him not having a full grasp on how the play is designed? Maybe Indy was too quick to throw in the towel on D. Brown? They certainly appear to have egg on their face after giving up a 1st rounder for Richardson. Hope the guy figures it out soon.
Good post.

I saw the same lack of vision even on Richardson's good runs. Contrast Richardson to some lesser backs like the Patriots L Blount and the Bucs James.

In the Pats game, there was a long run that Blount reeled off where he stuttered to a stop and hid for a second behind the guard/tackle , and then exploded off the left and almost hit paydirt. Blount is not a speedster by any means and really is an ordinary runner, but he made a NFL play using patience, vision, and showed explosion on that run. Something I doubt Richardson could do.

Look at Mike James, the rookie UDFA for the Bucs. Facing perhaps the NFL's most formidable defense in the leauges loudest venue, he ripped off 158 yards rushing. How did he do it? By constantly slashing and bouncing off defenders and always torquing his body to propel forward. He didn't have one negative or sideways run all day. He's a very ordinary RB by skillset, but smart enough to know where to cut and when to hit the hole, and use his leverage. He faced a much tougher defense that was stacking the box daring Glennon to beat them up top and he gashed them anyway. What's T-Rich's excuse?

Richardson is on another level of draft pedigree compared to Blount and James, but he's actually a lesser RB than either of them. He follows his blockers faithfully right into the oncoming pile, slowing down and bowing his head and bracing for impact. He does not have the instincts or vision to make a play in the open field. Look at Forte's short TD run, he ran thru a miniscule hole and squirted thru untouched anyway. It's the stuff that separates the men from the boys. If scrap heap RB's and UDFAs can come in and show explosion thru the hole, there's no good excuse for a top 5 RB to be so bad at it. He's the Darrius Heyward Bey of RB's.

I don't how anyone who has actually watched him play can deny this. The problem with valuing him in dynasty is that he's still a very talented athlete who could get better. There just aren't many talented young RB's so he has value even if he only becomes a Rudi Johnson-like back.

I checked the Youtube videos of his Alabama days and it was easy to see how his massive OL hid his flaws. There was still some running into his line there but it was overshadowed by how often there was a hole that he run through and bowled over several players. The problem for Trent is that without improving his decision making (vision) he needs an elite OL, which he doesn't have right now, and NFL players can't be run through like he did to players in college.

I don't how anyone who has actually watched him play can deny this. The problem with valuing him in dynasty is that he's still a very talented athlete who could get better. There just aren't many talented young RB's so he has value even if he only becomes a Rudi Johnson-like back.

I checked the Youtube videos of his Alabama days and it was easy to see how his massive OL hid his flaws. There was still some running into his line there but it was overshadowed by how often there was a hole that he run through and bowled over several players. The problem for Trent is that without improving his decision making (vision) he needs an elite OL, which he doesn't have right now, and NFL players can't be run through like he did to players in college.
Quit lying, you guys obviously haven't watched him play. Nothing but a bunch of knee-jerk stat sheet watchers in here!

The bears keyed in on Lacy last night, having 8 in the box almost every play, yet he was able to run through them for 150 yards. Trich is not facing 8 man fronts and can't do anything.
you are wrong...when he is in he is facing 8 man fronts

I agree. I knew there would be some posts about the screen passes. I don't recall the first one, which was the shorter reception. I saw the second one and it was a gaping hole with no one in sight, but he still made the least out of it possible. He didn't cut it to the inside and get away from him, he went down getting hit by the first defender. Geez, even Davone Bess can make a move and he is a slow possession type receiver. When you are in the open on the outside and a defender is coming from inside, you have to try to make a move because in many cases the defender will overrun if you make a good cut. Any "good" running back with that much space is going to at least try and make a move and turn a nice gain (because no defender was near him for the first 20 yards) into a TD or a long gain.

Maybe he gets better, but that play spoke volumes to me in terms of how mediocre he is. When you can run the first 20 yards of a play untouched with no defender within 5 yards, you either expect to see the player turn it into a long gain/TD with some nice moves or a great TD saving tackle. All we got was a tackle at the end of the play that looked like he ran into a DL for no gain.

Yankee23Fan said:

I gave him until after the bye and he didn't produce again. Dropped him tonight and I feel fine for doing so.

I ####### hate this dude so much.

I said the same thing about the jax game, but you'd think if anything sets up for him it would be stl at indy, right?

is it possible for him to produce flexworthy numbers, at least?

Yitbos69 said:
you are wrong...when he is in he is facing 8 man fronts
Wrong. You should watch the games.

Yankee23Fan said:

I gave him until after the bye and he didn't produce again. Dropped him tonight and I feel fine for doing so.
I'm most likely dropping him for a bye week defense this week too. Let someone else deal with him. He's probably going to have a good game against the rams but after that he has tough match ups and will be in an lackluster RBBC (plan on dropping him Saturday so no one can pick him up and use him for this week). My original plan last week was to drop Tim wright for and use that spot to fill up a couple of bye fillers, but then I said to myself, why should I drop wright over t-rich?

That is a really good point. He is probably not as good as Barry Sanders. Thanks for clearing that up.

That is a really good point. He is probably not as good as Barry Sanders. Thanks for clearing that up.
It is a good point, it's also obvious he is not as good as backs such as Knowshon Moreno or Donald Brown.

Last edited by a moderator:
humpback said:

Quit lying, you guys obviously haven't watched him play. Nothing but a bunch of knee-jerk stat sheet watchers in here!
Stat sheet watcher? Negative. I know there will be nothing higher than 3 points coming from Richardson. So therefore I watch the games. Dude just doesn't have field vision. Does he run hard? Sure...not denying that. But most of the time he runs hard into the backs of his O-linemen instead of watching for an opening. Part of being a good NFL RB is making something out of nothing. He is incapable of creating on his own. All the defense has to do is key on his first step and Richardson is stopped for no gain or little gain (thus his 2.6 ypc avg).

Watch the games. You'll see gaping holes that he doesn't.

humpback said:

Stat sheet watcher? Negative. I know there will be nothing higher than 3 points coming from Richardson. So therefore I watch the games. Dude just doesn't have field vision. Does he run hard? Sure...not denying that. But most of the time he runs hard into the backs of his O-linemen instead of watching for an opening. Part of being a good NFL RB is making something out of nothing. He is incapable of creating on his own. All the defense has to do is key on his first step and Richardson is stopped for no gain or little gain (thus his 2.6 ypc avg).

Maybe he just needs glasses/contacts? :shrug:

humpback said:

Trent "Wild Thing" Richardson?

humpback said:

:sarcasm:

humpback said:

:sarcasm:
It should be obvious, but your post really does look like serious arguments made by kool aid drinkers here.

humpback said:

Stat sheet watcher? Negative. I know there will be nothing higher than 3 points coming from Richardson. So therefore I watch the games. Dude just doesn't have field vision. Does he run hard? Sure...not denying that. But most of the time he runs hard into the backs of his O-linemen instead of watching for an opening. Part of being a good NFL RB is making something out of nothing. He is incapable of creating on his own. All the defense has to do is key on his first step and Richardson is stopped for no gain or little gain (thus his 2.6 ypc avg).Watch the games. You'll see gaping holes that he doesn't.
Trent "Wild Thing" Richardson?
It is clear what his issue is. Other teams know it too so they never will over pursue. It is not that he had zero vision - he waits until a hole develops. It is not that he runs into his lineman - he is always trying to move into space. The clear issue is his running style. He makes too many moves without doing anything or going in any positive direction. Watch him run - he does a jump cut kind of move where BOTH feet are in the air momentarily. Sure this gives you a lot of power to make your next move but while he is wasting precious time off the ground he cannot do anything. Compare him with the rookie rb for the rams who always had a plant foot to move off of. This running style of richardson is why he looks so damn slow - because his running mechanism is a sliding action and not a cutting action. He needs a fullback to lead the way if he is going to have any running success. They can tell him to follow the fullback and then just pick a side and try to get down stream. At least he will have a chance of getting through a hole. With his current mechanics he can only run in one direction effectively.

I can't believe this thread is still alive, much less as incredibly active as it is. Can we all just agree that:

1. Trent is a total bust in redraft leagues
  2. Trent has a lot of physical ability that isn't translating into on-field production
  3. His lack of production is due to many factors, including a lack of vision and poor offensive line
  4. It is possible he will have substantial improvement in years to come, but that's a big gamble.
I love digging into the minutia of fantasy football, but Trent has done nothing new or noteworthy since being traded. Gamble on him if you want in dynasty, I have him in one league and I'm still holding out hope, but I'm adjusting my expectations for the future. He's no bigger a gamble than drafting Lattimore in dynasty drafts this year, and maybe less because he's still young, healthy, and going to tote the rock for a quality team.

I actually got an offer for Andre Brown today in a redraft. Funny thing is I'm actually considering it.

:topcat:

Oooof, how the heck did he fall this far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah thi slast game......told me a lot. This year is a total loss.

On my bench the remainder of the year.

In redraft.....I can;t even cut him for anything of substance now. That time came and went weeks ago.

In dynasty.....he is behind the likes of

Andre Ellington

Lamar Miller

Pierre Thomas

Deangelo Williams.

I really baked on a breakout season....and never happened.

Oh well. Moving on this year.

Hold in dynasty we all can agree (for now).

Bust in redraft.....obvious.

Thread has pretty much run it's course.

Next year.....we will truly know what he is about...full off-season, full OTA, training camp....it will be obvious right away in the pre-season and of course week one next year if this is a lost cause.

Of course there are those who already know....and have spoken loudly he is a bust now.

I am willing to give him one more chance next season.....because.....what will I get for him now?

Nothing.

I actually got an offer for Andre Brown today in a redraft. Funny thing is I'm actually considering it.

wut??

dude, I'd break my keyboard trying to accept that.

think I might actually cut him for a 1 week DL bye filler.

I picked up Andre Brown in my redraft last week LOL.......waiting for him to get back on the field.

Trent firmly on bench as I try to push for a playoff spot (amazingly would be in with the 6th seed right now).

Thank you Andre Ellington, Reggie Bush, Dez Bryant, and hopefully......gulp Andre Brown and Lamar Miller being late season risers.

Just dumped him for Chris Ivory and couldn't be happier. The one week I was stuck starting Richardson because of bye weeks, he cost me the W. Playoff schedule looks brutal, glad I don't have to think about him anymore. He can go straight to hell.

Trying to package him with Dalton or RGIII and Terrence Williams for and upgrade at QB (Luck or Rivers) and whatever scrap they want to give me back. If I can't pull off one of those deals will take the offer I have to trade him for Ray Rice as we swap to first round duds.

Users who are viewing this thread