What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last! (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthias said:
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/29/john-kelly-chief-staff-trump-expectations-747646

Kelly has done away with “meeting crashers,” the West Wing aides who showed up for meetings uninvited, according to a White House aide, but he has not been able to curb Trump’s practice of adding and subtracting advisers to meetings throughout the day or of turning scheduled gatherings into freewheeling discussions of subjects that suit his interests — including those suggested to him by his coterie of outside advisers, including Fox News host Sean Hannity.

He comes down for the day, and whatever he saw on 'Fox and Friends,' he schedules meetings based on that,” said one former White House official. “If it’s Iran, it’s ‘Get John Bolton down here!’ … If he’s seen something on TV or [was] talking to Hannity the night before, he’s got lots of flexibility to do whatever he wants to do.”
I'll just say it's about damn time that Steve Doocy has sufficient influence in running our country. 

>>The Trump administration is considering bypassing Congress to grant a $100 billion tax cut mainly to the wealthy, a legally tenuous maneuver that would cut capital gains taxation and fulfill a long-held ambition of many investors and conservatives.
Steven Mnuchin, the Treasury secretary, said in an interview on the sidelines of the Group of 20 summit meeting in Argentina this month that his department was studying whether it could use its regulatory powers to allow Americans to account for inflation in determining capital gains tax liabilities. The Treasury Department could change the definition of “cost” for calculating capital gains, allowing taxpayers to adjust the initial value of an asset, such as a home or a share of stock, for inflation when it sells.<<

- NYT

>>The Trump administration is considering bypassing Congress to grant a $100 billion tax cut mainly to the wealthy, a legally tenuous maneuver that would cut capital gains taxation and fulfill a long-held ambition of many investors and conservatives.
Steven Mnuchin, the Treasury secretary, said in an interview on the sidelines of the Group of 20 summit meeting in Argentina this month that his department was studying whether it could use its regulatory powers to allow Americans to account for inflation in determining capital gains tax liabilities. The Treasury Department could change the definition of “cost” for calculating capital gains, allowing taxpayers to adjust the initial value of an asset, such as a home or a share of stock, for inflation when it sells.<<

- NYT
Pigs at the trough.

- NYT
This should be done (in combination with taxing capital gains at ordinary rates), but it needs to be done by Congress.

This should be done (in combination with taxing capital gains at ordinary rates), but it needs to be done by Congress.
I agree, in theory, if it’s combined with a removal of corporate loopholes. But in a vacuum, it’s only going to increase the deficit and it’s crazy already. How can we afford it? 

I agree, in theory, if it’s combined with a removal of corporate loopholes. But in a vacuum, it’s only going to increase the deficit and it’s crazy already. How can we afford it? 
Doing it in combination with taxing capital gains at the same rates as ordinary income should be roughly revenue-neutral. (Of course, that’s not the plan.)

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 1m1 minute ago

The Fake News Media is going CRAZY! They are totally unhinged and in many ways, after witnessing first hand the damage they do to so many innocent and decent people, I enjoy watching. In 7 years, when I am no longer in office, their ratings will dry up and they will be gone!

So he enjoys watching people getting damaged? Or the people he enjoys watching are being damaged by the fake news?

Someone get a translator.

God I hope this means war.  Where's me popcorn??
Yeah this could become significant. Most of the GOP doesn’t want to get on Trump’s bad side because they might loss his base. If they say no more money for the major Trump supporters, you’ll probably see a lot more vocal anti-Trump GOP members. If there’s one thing that might overcome the cult like behavior, it’s money.

This is a verbally violent act by the WH. This foreshadows the level of violence this administration will utilize as the TRUTH of the 2016 election meddling comes to light. REPORTERS - keep up the good work the American people have your back. #SummerOfJustic

Sounds very fimiliar to how one of your usual poster would sound.
And this is the problem with American Politics.  The White House actively shouting down reporters should make EVERY American Citizen upset, I don't care where on the Political Spectrum you are.

And this is the problem with American Politics.  The White House actively shouting down reporters should make EVERY American Citizen upset, I don't care where on the Political Spectrum you are.
It's really unbelievable where we are as a country. This president is removing reporters who ask questions he doesn't like. Removing security clearance to anyone who is critical of him. He is turning into a dictator before our very eyes and not one single Republican will stand up and speak out about it. 

Take a moment of two to laugh at this hilarious pro-Trump painting.
Terrible depiction of Ben Carson...he looked much too alert.

Also in the comments on this 

“Putting aside everything else, Ben Carson appears to be rowing backwards.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Unconfirmed, but Dow Jones is reporting that John Kelly has committed to stay through the 2020 election.

Surprising to me. I was picturing him with one of those wall calendars, crossing off the days.

ETA -- From WSJ:
WASHINGTON—White House chief of staff John Kelly told staff on Monday that President Trump had asked him to remain in his post through the 2020 election, White House officials said, a request that comes as tensions between the two men have eased in recent months.

Mr. Kelly told staff he agreed to the president’s request, one of the officials said."

Last edited by a moderator:
Unconfirmed, but Dow Jones is reporting that John Kelly has committed to stay through the 2020 election.

Surprising to me. I was picturing him with one of those wall calendars, crossing off the days.
Kelly is one of the few people in the administration that surprise me.  Always thought he was a decent guy. Also can't believe how Bolton has turned to soft on Russia. Used to be a very vocal about how terrible they were and how hard we needed to be on them. Just goes to show that when you get around Trump, you become Trump. 

Kelly is one of the few people in the administration that surprise me.  Always thought he was a decent guy. Also can't believe how Bolton has turned to soft on Russia. Used to be a very vocal about how terrible they were and how hard we needed to be on them. Just goes to show that when you get around Trump, you become Trump. 
Thought he was okay initially. Then we had things like the handling of Rob Porter allegations, attack on Fredrica Wilson that was not corroborated by video, support for zero tolerance/family separation. Could still be better than who he might have been replaced by, though.

what do you think the odds are that Trump is not calling all the (major) shots wrt to the Trump empire?

I'd say 0%, but maybe Junior and Eric actually have some leash?

Matthias said:
I am sure it will completely work out for Trump, and really be in his best interest, to lambast the donors who have been personally funding Republican elections. And were already upset about his behavior and people supporting him and even leaving open the idea of supporting some Democrats. And are planning on throwing $400mm into the midterms which were already headwinds for Republicans. Really nothing could go wrong with his plan. Stable genius all the way.
Last night Laura Ingraham called the Koch brothers “out of touch elitists”. 

The Republican Party has been seized by populists who are obsessed with curtailing immigration and trade. The Kochs might as well be penniless for all their money will help them against this. 

Matthias said:
By this, do you mean the Koch brother's popularity within the Republican politicians and base supporters?

Because that's not how the relationship needs to work.
I mean that for years the Kochs were considered the most powerful voice in the Republican Party. But in truth they never were. The base of the GOP is currently dominated by a powerful populist movement. Against that movement, the libertarian,  Chamber of Commerce ideas of people like the Kochs are helpless. 

Matthias said:
I'm not sure where to start correcting this.
Look, I have warned for years, long before Trump, that right wing populism was the real danger to American society- far more dangerous than the Koch/Grover Norquist Wing that always fighting for lower taxes and smaller government. And now they’ve taken over the GOP. 

The current base of the GOP doesn’t care about any of the things the Kochs care about. They want a wall on the border. They want to deport undocumented immigrants- all of them. And they want to shut down all free trade. 

I fear Trump is only the beginning. 

Matthias said:
I guess one place seems obvious to start: The tax cut this year, that everyone hates, will save the Koch brothers $1 - $1.4 billion in income taxes every year. As a starting estimate. Not counting a variety of its other provisions such as changing the inheritance tax.

Read that a couple of times. Go back and read your own post a couple of times. Come back here and read this one again.
Yes. They wanted it and they got it, because Congress is at the moment filled with old type Republicans, and because Trump remains, in this one area, a traditional Republican. 

But it’s not what the base wanted. The base doesn’t care about it. And the base is going to put up candidates that the Kochs are going to like less and less. 

Matthias said:
You're also vastly overestimating the importance of telling garbage to plebes before an election. Versus passing legislation for your donors once you're in office. Donors get what they want. Plebes don't.
Everything you wrote in this post and the one above it is 100% correct- in normal political times.

The problem is that we’re currently undergoing a populist wave- we seem to have one every 40-50 years though there’s no set time period. Whenever we have this kind of wave, all the rules get thrown out, and chaos is the result. Elites like the Kochs have no more power during the chaos than the rest of us do. 

Using your post: populism is when the garbage promised to the plebes gets taken seriously. 

Matthias said:
1: Did they get their wall?
2: Again, you're missing the big point. The Koch brothers don't need the Republicans. The Republicans need the Koch brothers. Whatever gloss or narrative you want to put onto the current Republican party doesn't matter to the Koch brothers.
especially since they've gotten their cake and are eating it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread