What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last! (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nate Silver‏ @NateSilver538 11m11 minutes ago

Prediction markets, which may or may not be useful for this sort of thing, now say there's a 60% chance that Trump will be impeached (NOT necessarily removed from office) at some point in his first term.

They also say there's a 40% chance that Trump will fail to complete his first term; that number had already been rising, but is up significantly as a result of the BuzzFeed report.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1086312762010230785

An observation/question that has stumped me since the beginning of the Trump era:

Why is everyone (business associates/politicians/journalists/etc) so willing and able to bend all narratives and opinions to make the world reflect what Trump says and believes?  What does he, Trump, offer in allegiance that is so attractive to all these people?  Those surrounding him all seemingly get thrown under the bus eventually and I don’t see any of them having been made so rich or whatever status in life that makes working for him worth it.

I’ve met and worked with extremely charismatic people before, had bosses where you sometimes purposefully allow the transfer of credit for work done (ya know, good for the goose/gander theory), but I am just amazed and confounded by the way all these people independently bend reality for him.  Politics aside, this phenomenon really makes me want to sit down and have a Fanta with him to experience this aura

An observation/question that has stumped me since the beginning of the Trump era:

Why is everyone (business associates/politicians/journalists/etc) so willing and able to bend all narratives and opinions to make the world reflect what Trump says and believes?  What does he, Trump, offer in allegiance that is so attractive to all these people?  Those surrounding him all seemingly get thrown under the bus eventually and I don’t see any of them having been made so rich or whatever status in life that makes working for him worth it.

I’ve met and worked with extremely charismatic people before, had bosses where you sometimes purposefully allow the transfer of credit for work done (ya know, good for the goose/gander theory), but I am just amazed and confounded by the way all these people independently bend reality for him.  Politics aside, this phenomenon really makes me want to sit down and have a Fanta with him to experience this aura
The short answer is that it’s easier. People want things from him or from their lives that intersect with him, and he is never going to join us in reality, so if they want to keep going after the things they want it’s easier to just let him define the reality.  

The short answer is that it’s easier. People want things from him or from their lives that intersect with him, and he is never going to join us in reality, so if they want to keep going after the things they want it’s easier to just let him define the reality.  
I get it, I think...riding someone’s coattails with expectations of betterment or greatness.  It’s the payoff portion I’m missing.  It seems the only result of Trump is a wake of destruction.  He may have at one point been worth the risk, so to speak, but history just shows you should stay away

ETA:  maybe that kind of ambition required to jump on board Trump Express is a drug I’ll never experience/understand

Last edited by a moderator:
I get it, I think...riding someone’s coattails with expectations of betterment or greatness.  It’s the payoff portion I’m missing.  It seems the only result of Trump is a wake of destruction.  He may have at one point been worth the risk, so to speak, but history just shows you should stay away
Just like the woman who has a history of cheating and absolutely destroying hearts, but is just sooooo attractive you can't stay away, you tell yourself - that'll never happen to me, I'm different. Then...

ETA:  maybe that kind of ambition required to jump on board Trump Express is a drug I’ll never experience/understand
I don’t think it’s even a coattails thing.  Say you want a whiskey and you’re in a bar and the bartender says she’s glad you ordered whiskey because anyone who drinks vodka is obviously a lizard person.  And lizard people and people who don’t believe in lizard people don’t get served in her bar. She has your whiskey in hand, you want a whiskey, and she asks if you believe in lizard people.  What’s your answer?

I don’t think it’s even a coattails thing.  Say you want a whiskey and you’re in a bar and the bartender says she’s glad you ordered whiskey because anyone who drinks vodka is obviously a lizard person.  And lizard people and people who don’t believe in lizard people don’t get served in her bar. She has your whiskey in hand, you want a whiskey, and she asks if you believe in lizard people.  What’s your answer?
Is she hot?

I read yesterday that a Rep from Louisiana was the first to state to the press  (early Thursday) that Pelosi was going to travel abroad.

Found it:

Earlier Thursday, House Minority Whip Steve Scalise had told reporters that Pelosi was scheduled to be out of the country through Wednesday as he complained about her not negotiating with Trump on border security and questioned who would be authorized to negotiate in her absence

https://www.rollcall.com/news/congress/trump-cancels-nancy-pelosis-overseas-trip-amid-shutdown

I agree with her assessment that vodka drinkers are lizard people.

Pelosi is playing chess, while Trump learns to color between the lines:

"We weren't going to go because we had a report from Afghanistan that the President outing our trip had made the scene on the ground much more dangerous because it's just a signal to the bad actors," Pelosi told reporters at the Capitol.

"You never give advance notice of going into a battle area. You just never do. Perhaps the President's inexperience didn't help him understand that protocol. The people around him, though, should have known that, because that's very dangerous," she said.

Childish spat masks era-defining duel between Trump and Pelosi

The speaker also said the President's announcement of the trip had endangered members of Congress and American troops, and that she was just relaying what the State Department told her office.

"This is a fact. It's not even an opinion," she said.

Asked how Pelosi knew that the leaks were coming from the White House when the White House denied it, she paused and said: "I rest my case."

Sinn Fein said:
"We weren't going to go because we had a report from Afghanistan that the President outing our trip had made the scene on the ground much more dangerous because it's just a signal to the bad actors," Pelosi told reporters at the Capitol.
They weren't going to begin with.

Henry Ford said:
Well hell yeah I believe in lizard people!

Henry Ford said:
: :wub:

well. oiled. machine.

Josh Lederman‏Verified account @JoshNBCNews

Pence on Wednesday: "The caliphate has crumbled and ISIS has been defeated."

Pentagon spokesman today: "As Wednesday's attack demonstrates, ISIS remains a threat."

10:50 AM - 18 Jan 2019

Sinn Fein said:
UPDATE: Unbelievably, the story gets worse for Trump. Hammill, Pelosi’s spokesman, released a statement Friday morning that read in part: “After President Trump revoked the use of military aircraft to travel to Afghanistan, the delegation was prepared to fly commercially to proceed with this vital trip to meet with our commanders and troops on the front lines.” The statement continued: “In the middle of the night, the State Department’s Diplomatic Security Service provided an updated threat assessment detailing that the President announcing this sensitive travel had significantly increased the danger to the delegation and to the troops, security, and other officials supporting the trip." He added, “This morning, we learned that the Administration had leaked the commercial travel plans as well.” Hammill concluded,"In light of the grave threats caused by the President’s action, the delegation has decided to postpone the trip so as not to further endanger our troops and security personnel, or the other travelers on the flights."

This stunning violation of his duties as commander in chief in order to serve his petty personal desire for revenge tells us just how unfit Trump is to serve. A House vote on a resolution condemning the president’s conduct, as well as an oversight hearing on his attempts to sabotage and potentially endanger others, should proceed.
Please provide the link on stuff like this. TIA

Sinn Fein said:
They weren't going to begin with.
Then it makes Trump look like a fool for canceling the military flight in the first place.

If Trump was really a chessmaster he would have called Nancy's bluff and let her get on the original flight.

squistion said:
Nate Silver‏ @NateSilver538 11m11 minutes ago

Prediction markets, which may or may not be useful for this sort of thing, now say there's a 60% chance that Trump will be impeached (NOT necessarily removed from office) at some point in his first term.

They also say there's a 40% chance that Trump will fail to complete his first term; that number had already been rising, but is up significantly as a result of the BuzzFeed report.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1086312762010230785
Odds of impeachment by the House in Trump's first term per Bovada:

October:       Yes+240, No -270

December:   Yes+150, No -180. 

Current:        Yes +120, No -150. 

Some cable morning shows began their programming Friday with the blockbuster BuzzFeed News report that said President Trump instructed his former attorney, Michael Cohen, to lie to Congress about a Trump Tower project in Moscow.

On CNN, “New Day” host John Berman said the news was so big it almost caused him to spill his coffee. On MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” Willie Geist opened the show by calling the BuzzFeed report “a big one.”

On Fox News, however, “Fox & Friends” opened Friday with a different “breaking news alert”: A caravan of Honduran migrants is entering Mexico, unabated, and heading to the U.S. border.

“Listen guys, this is quite a significant development here,” reporter Griff Jenkins told the “Fox & Friends” hosts while speaking from a Mexican border town near Guatemala: “ . . . The main point is, these migrants, at this hour — 6 a.m. Eastern Time, 5 a.m. local — the border is wide open, there isn’t a single immigration official standing in their way.”

:lmao:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/01/18/buzzfeeds-trump-cohen-bombshell-dominated-morning-news-shows-except-fox-friends/?utm_term=.8b413510ecbb

VoxVerified account @voxdotcom

Mitch McConnell calls House Democrats’ anti-corruption bill a "power grab" …

Howard Dean Retweeted Vox

Why would you expect a corrupt politician to like an anti- corruption bill?
Robert Reich‏Verified account @RBReich 4h4 hours ago

More

Mitch McConnell calls #HR1 a "power grab" because it would:

1) Begin to overturn Citizens United.

2) Establish Automatic Voter Registration.

3) Bolster anti-bribery laws.

4) Protect the Voting Rights Act.

Yes. It's a "power grab" -- grabbing power back for the people.

Disgusting. Once again I'm embarrassed for my country. 
Some of the comments are pretty interesting...

A group of people that are pissed about immigration mocking someone that’s ancestors had this exact land stolen from them by immigrants... the ####### irony makes my head hurt.

Another...

Indigenous people all over North America have survived colonization, cultural genocide, residential schools, racism, discrimination, over-representation in criminal justice systems, over-representation in poverty measures, traditional territories and land being stolen, illegitimate consultations for resource extraction and industrial development, and a North American wide epidemic of missing and murdered indigenous women and girls....a group of little pricks in stupid MAGA hats can’t deter an elder’s passion for his culture or values.

Get your #### together America. Seriously. Stop letting this become the new normal. It’s ####### disgraceful.

The Cruelty is the Point
It's a pithy catch phrase, but I don't think it really helps anyone get to the bottom of why those people are the way they are, and what can be done to help them not be that way anymore. Most people aren't cruel for the heck of it, there are deep seeded reasons. Those reasons need to be addressed if we're really going to improve things.

To be clear, I'm not laying this at @TobiasFunke's feet to figure out. I don't know how we move on from just constantly identifying the unsavory behavior to correcting it either. I just hope someone is working on it.

It's a pithy catch phrase, but I don't think it really helps anyone get to the bottom of why those people are the way they are, and what can be done to help them not be that way anymore. Most people aren't cruel for the heck of it, there are deep seeded reasons. Those reasons need to be addressed if we're really going to improve things.

To be clear, I'm not laying this at @TobiasFunke's feet to figure out. I don't know how we move on from just constantly identifying the unsavory behavior to correcting it either. I just hope someone is working on it.
Misshapen amygdalas

The Cruelty is the Point
The Perseverance is the Point

We need to start emphasizing the good that happens and not the bad. The great thing about the clip is the older gentleman continued to the chagrin of the young. The older gentleman persevered through the scorn. The funny thing is, these kids, as well as older people like them, are going to be remembered in a same way as the following:

Elizabeth Eckford

Virginia Rally

No Integration

Sure, some of the people in the past did make amends however these individuals, as well as individuals in the future who spread these messages, deserves as much scorn as they get. And, they shouldn't complain about the lack of opportunity they may have once their images are all over the place.

Misshapen amygdalas
I thought you were being snarky, but it seems there are a few studies about this. Maybe there really isn't anything that could be done to help those people be so cruel, but can that explanation encompass the entirety of the cohort that's been participating in this kind of thinking?

I was referencing the Atlantic article, which gets into this a bit, not just throwing out a catch phrase.  You’re right, I should have hyperlinked it in the first post to be clearer on that.

I thought you were being snarky, but it seems there are a few studies about this. Maybe there really isn't anything that could be done to help those people be so cruel, but can that explanation encompass the entirety of the cohort that's been participating in this kind of thinking?
Yeah, my post was kinda lazy in that it was just two words. It's far from "settled science" like macroevolution or anthropogenic climate change, but it has consistent papers written about it. You probably read that the amygdala helps regulate fear, and I think the idea that overly fearful people are xenophobic which is easy to see where that leads. I don't think it's known how much this is developmentally or genetically based. Let's say this is a real thing - I do think there is something we as individuals and we as a culture can do to overcome this. My entire family are all in Trumpers. Imagine the memes and that's them. If it's genetic, I probably have the same thing. And in fact when I was a kid I was probably an awful human being regarding outgroups. Life experience and just a little open-mindedness has lead me away from fearful and hatefilled thoughts, and I suspect that I'm not the only person that changes who I was then when I was 15. Also as our culture ages, all of us get a tiny bit more enlightened, whether we like it or not, even the Trump supporters! So yeah I think over time this sort of xenophobia and fear will be overcome despite our physiology. Nurture over nature on this one imo.

I was referencing the Atlantic article, which gets into this a bit, not just throwing out a catch phrase.  You’re right, I should have hyperlinked it in the first post to be clearer on that.
I read that (thanks for the link again). It doesn't really suggest any solutions though. I don't think us repeatedly pointing out this phenomenon without some notion of how to correct it is going to change much.

These people are disgusting. This is what Trump has unleashed, although it was obviously simmering resentfully beneath the surface all along. But that festering racism and hate is running rampant now, with few consequences. I'll never forgive the people I know who support Trump to this day. 

https://twitter.com/2020fight/status/1086476619877765120?s=19

https://twitter.com/lulu_says2/status/1086552871674368001?s=19

The picture in this tweet explains what happened: 

https://twitter.com/lulu_says2/status/1086579888591536133?s=19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread