What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The War in Gaza (1 Viewer)

Slapdash, if you were the government of Israel, how would you respond to Hamas sending hundreds of rockets into your country, and refusing to stop? I get that you think that what Israel is doing in response in wrong, and I don't necessarily disagree. But how would YOU respond?
ETA- This question is also for anyone here who has been critical of Israel's actions: Sinn Fein, White Monkey, Cliff, etc. Please answer: how would you respond?
Well the first step would be to stop killing children.
That doesn't answer the question. How would you respond to the rockets?
I don't know how to solve the conflict. But I do know that indiscriminately killing children/civilians is not going to work. So maybe take baby steps and stop that?
What specifically, would you do in response to Hamas launching rockets while using human shields around those launch sites?

Slapdash, if you were the government of Israel, how would you respond to Hamas sending hundreds of rockets into your country, and refusing to stop? I get that you think that what Israel is doing in response in wrong, and I don't necessarily disagree. But how would YOU respond?
ETA- This question is also for anyone here who has been critical of Israel's actions: Sinn Fein, White Monkey, Cliff, etc. Please answer: how would you respond?
Israel is trying to fix a long-term problem with a short-term solution.

Hamas lobbing bombs into Israel is just a symptom of a much larger issue. To solve that issue, you have to understand why hamas is lobbing bombs into Israel - and its not simply that they want Israel to go away. They do want Israel to go away - but more important than that - they want what Israel has - a thriving economy and prosperity.

For there to be peace in the region - it has to be economically more important to all parties that there is peace rather than conflict. Right now, the trade-off for Hamas lobbing bombs into Israel is negligible. They know Israel will respond in kind, but they are not losing anything in the figurative sense. Now, if the Palestinians had much to lose in a war with Israel, the people and the government would do what they could to avoid such a conflict.

The challenge comes from the fact that none of that economic development will happen over night, or even over a few years. Its a generational issue. Israel would do well though to recognize the plight of the Palestinian people, and stop acting as an oppressor - and they do go beyond simply defending their territory. Give the people a reason to choose peace and prosperity over war and destitution.
Very good points. I agree with all of it, except for the implication that Hamas is either acting in a logical manner or that they have long term goals in mind. I strongly doubt either is the case. I think Israel needs to pursue all of the goals you mentioned. But that doesn't get them out of this immediate situation.

Well the first step would be to stop killing children.
That doesn't answer the question. How would you respond to the rockets?
I don't know how to solve the conflict. But I do know that indiscriminately killing children/civilians is not going to work. So maybe take baby steps and stop that?
What specifically, would you do in response to Hamas launching rockets while using human shields around those launch sites?
Give me the list of options available other than killing innocents.

4 boys killed on a beach doesn't exactly sound like "human shields" and neither does an apartment complex containing no Hamas individuals. But hey, I guess that makes the Israeli supporters sleep better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Serious question, because I don't know the best answer - but how much damage are the Hamas bombs doing? I know the Iron Dome is reportedly negating most of the missiles, but I don't know how many hit, and where they hit.

Israel's response does seem a bit like trying to kill a fly with a sledge hammer.

4 boys killed on a beach doesn't exactly sound like "human shields" and neither does an apartment complex containing no Hamas individuals. But hey, I guess that makes the Israeli supporters sleep better.
1. Return fire.

2. Do nothing.

3. Other?

Israel is trying to fix a long-term problem with a short-term solution.

Hamas lobbing bombs into Israel is just a symptom of a much larger issue. To solve that issue, you have to understand why hamas is lobbing bombs into Israel - and its not simply that they want Israel to go away. They do want Israel to go away - but more important than that - they want what Israel has - a thriving economy and prosperity.

For there to be peace in the region - it has to be economically more important to all parties that there is peace rather than conflict. Right now, the trade-off for Hamas lobbing bombs into Israel is negligible. They know Israel will respond in kind, but they are not losing anything in the figurative sense. Now, if the Palestinians had much to lose in a war with Israel, the people and the government would do what they could to avoid such a conflict.

The challenge comes from the fact that none of that economic development will happen over night, or even over a few years. Its a generational issue. Israel would do well though to recognize the plight of the Palestinian people, and stop acting as an oppressor - and they do go beyond simply defending their territory. Give the people a reason to choose peace and prosperity over war and destitution.
Very good points. I agree with all of it, except for the implication that Hamas is either acting in a logical manner or that they have long term goals in mind. I strongly doubt either is the case.I think Israel needs to pursue all of the goals you mentioned. But that doesn't get them out of this immediate situation.
Let me re-phrase - I don't think Hamas is bombing Israel so that the Palestinians will have a better economy, I think they are bombing Israel because they can, and they have nothing to lose in the fight. When someone has nothing to lose in a fight, the only way it will end is when they are dead, or when they have a good reason not to continue fighting.

1. Return fire.

2. Do nothing.

3. Other?
I'd probably go with 3. Other. But, you know, sitting at my desk in North America and not being privy to any information other than what is being reported it is pretty tough to come up with a solution.

Maybe the Israeli government has weighed all their options and determined killing innocent children is what they believe is the best course of action :shrug:

1. Return fire.

2. Do nothing.

3. Other?
I'd probably go with 3. Other. But, you know, sitting at my desk in North America and not being privy to any information other than what is being reported it is pretty tough to come up with a solution.

Maybe the Israeli government has weighed all their options and determined killing innocent children is what they believe is the best course of action :shrug:
OK, but what is "other"? How does your proposed other both stop the rockets and avoid killing innocents?

I'd probably work on a two-state solution to stop the problem at it's source instead of creating new terrorists by bombing children.

OK, but what is "other"? How does your proposed other both stop the rockets and avoid killing innocents?
If I had all the information that the Israeli government has, I'd probably be able to give you an informed opinion.

Until then, I'll stick with they shouldn't just indiscriminately kill civilians unless their goal is to create more hate and violence. In which case, they are doing a helluva job.

I'd probably work on a two-state solution to stop the problem at it's source instead of creating new terrorists by bombing children.
Seems like Israel has been trying that for decades, but Hamas, et. al., refuse such a solution.

If I had all the information that the Israeli government has, I'd probably be able to give you an informed opinion.

Until then, I'll stick with they shouldn't just indiscriminately kill civilians unless their goal is to create more hate and violence. In which case, they are doing a helluva job.
So, your response would be to do nothing and ignore the rockets, then.

Seems like Israel has been trying that for decades, but Hamas, et. al., refuse such a solution.
I don't agree that is what Israel has been doing. I think what is happening today is more like what they have been doing for decades.

Link?

I'd feel the same way as Hamas if I was forced into having a roommate I never wanted.

If I had all the information that the Israeli government has, I'd probably be able to give you an informed opinion.Until then, I'll stick with they shouldn't just indiscriminately kill civilians unless their goal is to create more hate and violence. In which case, they are doing a helluva job.
Apparently. I don't think that's a practical solution though. Trying to eliminate the rocket launch sites seems like a better idea.

When Hamas runs out of rockets they will stop, Israel will stop attacking the launch sites, and the war will be over. At least until Iran resupplies Hamas with rockets again.

I don't agree that is what Israel has been doing. I think what is happening today is more like what they have been doing for decades.
I believe Israel is willing to do it, but it just won't happen (the two-state solution) until Hamas puts on their big boy pants and loses the 'tude.

Link?
Your choices are:

1. Do nothing.

2. Return fire.

3. Propose an alternate solution.

You say you can't do #3. You say #2 isn't an option. Therefore, you've chosen option #1.

I'd feel the same way as Hamas if I was forced into having a roommate I never wanted.
:shrug:

Israel isn't going anywhere.

If the status quo is suitable to Hamas' liking then they can certainly keep banging their head against this wall.

Love the shtick from cliff here.
Yep. Believing that killing kids is wrong is shtick. :thumbup:
you thinking Israel was deliberately targeting them is funny. What happened on that beach is awful, Israel is clearly investigating why it happened, but this is war, terrible accidents happen. Remember that video of America killing AP reporters they thought were Taliban?Very easy to take things out of context.

Link?
Your choices are:

1. Do nothing.

2. Return fire.

You say you can't do #3. You say #2 isn't an option. Therefore, you've chosen option #1.
Maybe read again? I said I'd make an informed opinion with more information. That does not mean doing nothing.

I love your reasoning though. If I can't propose a solution to a conflict that has been going on for decades, then killing innocents must be right.

What the hell is Hamas fighting about right now?

Three Israeli teenagers were kidnapped and killed.

Israel asked for justice and capture of the perps. Hamas shot them the finger.

Israel asked the PA to disassociate from Hamas until they assisted.

Hamas started lobbing rockets at Israeli towns.

This is more senseless than the usual senselessness that goes on, aside from the usual underlying antisemitism that goes along with all this.

Link?
Your choices are:

1. Do nothing.

2. Return fire.

Maybe read again? I said I'd make an informed opinion with more information. That does not mean doing nothing.

I love your reasoning though. If I can't propose a solution to a conflict that has been going on for decades, then killing innocents must be right.
Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that even with all available intelligence and information, the Israelis have determined that there is no available course of action that allows them to return fire without putting innocents at risk. Should they return fire or ignore the rockets?

Then the problem will never go away. There is no solution. Twenty years from now, threads here will still be the same... or worse.

I had an awful roommate once. Total accusatory OCD clean freak but disgusting at the same time. Total hypocrite, diagnosed narcissistic, ate others' food out the fridge, "borrowed" things (stole), didn't pay rent.

I did not try to kill him. (Admittedly I did punch him, ok).

Then the problem will never go away. There is no solution. Twenty years from now, threads here will still be the same... or worse.
It's been said but: Northern Ireland, South Africa, Serbia, things can get better.

So in your opinion, the only acceptable course of action is for Israel is to pack up and leave?

So in your opinion, the only acceptable course of action is for Israel is to pack up and leave?
It's the only way the conflict will ever end.

I believe Israel is willing to do it, but it just won't happen (the two-state solution) until Hamas puts on their big boy pants and loses the 'tude.
I don't know if either side is willing to do it honestly. However, I think that Israel continuing to push settlements in the West Bank is probably the most damaging thing to a lasting peace. Palestine sees Israel as occupiers and ,to me, it seems like Israel has no issue being that. I'm sure neither side wants to live in fear though both sides ensure that continues.

I don't know if either side is willing to do it honestly. However, I think that Israel continuing to push settlements in the West Bank is probably the most damaging thing to a lasting peace. Palestine sees Israel as occupiers and ,to me, it seems like Israel has no issue being that. I'm sure neither side wants to live in fear though both sides ensure that continues.
This is all true but what's going on in Gaza has nothing to do with that.

Israel is out of Gaza, they've had elections.

What is this current round about? Israel asked/demanded that the Hamas find the murderers of the three teenagers? "No, now eat rockets, Israel."

A rebuttal for you sir: http://www.israelvideonetwork.com/1-million-simple-arguments-that-will-change-how-you-look-at-israel

A rebuttal for you sir: http://www.israelvideonetwork.com/1-million-simple-arguments-that-will-change-how-you-look-at-israel
Can the rebuttal come in a form I can read at work? Otherwise will try to watch later.

This is all true but what's going on in Gaza has nothing to do with that.

Israel is out of Gaza, they've had elections.

What is this current round about? Israel asked/demanded that the Hamas find the murderers of the three teenagers? "No, now eat rockets, Israel."
The current round is an expected outcome of all the other rounds, in my opinion.

Why doesn't Israel just open the border to the Gaza Strip? A wise poster here stated that open borders only lead to prosperity, wealth and mutual benefit.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that even with all available intelligence and information, the Israelis have determined that there is no available course of action that allows them to return fire without putting innocents at risk. Should they return fire or ignore the rockets?
Will it bring peace? Nope.

Will it kill innocents? Yep.

Will it hurt Hamas? Highly doubtful.

Will it breed more hate towards Israel? Yep.

Will it create the threat of further violence? Yep.

So... what is the point? Just to kill a few people in retaliation?

Why doesn't Israel just open the border to the Gaza Strip? A wise poster here stated that open borders only lead to prosperity, wealth and mutual benefit.
I don't think the border is open with Egypt either (could be wrong on that but I think it's right).

So, should they return fire or should they ignore the rockets?

Neither.

Neither.
So what should they do? The magical "other" option that somehow makes the incoming rockets disappear with fairy dust?

Neither.
So what should they do? The magical "other" option that somehow makes the incoming rockets disappear with fairy dust?
They should either stop bombing, or stop worrying about killing civilians, and own that decision. Can't do both.

Neither.
Guess we've come full circle here. I'll once again say, I don't know what they should do but killing innocent people definitely isn't it.

Please tell me what they are accomplishing by lobbing rockets and killing innocent people. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread