What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

War in Israel (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickey moe

Fingerpicker
Hamas has launched a surprise attack on Israel on a massive scale. Some horrific video out there right now. The Israeli response will undoubtedly be massive as well. Hopefully we can maintain a discussion and tread lightly on the political front similar to the Ukraine thread in here.

So sad to read about the attacks this morning. I've seen it described as Israel's "Pearl Harbor," which seems apt. How could Israel not pick up on this? The massive attack against Israel is just a ginormous world event, I believe ...and I fear. After decades of tension, I always held out some hope that a measure of peace would prevail ...an uneasy truce. But this will set back Israeli-Palestinian relations for yet another generation. The misery of the Gaza Strip was bad already, so I can't imagine what life will be like over the days, weeks, and years to come. More immediately, the death toll is already climbing on both sides. :kicksrock:

I don't understand how Hamas can think they can in any way "win" a war against Israel. They have to know that Israel's response will not be a measured response.

I don't understand how Hamas can think they can in any way "win" a war against Israel. They have to know that Israel's response will not be a measured response.
I thought the same thing. But I don't think their goal is to win. I think their goal is to get Israel to strike back hard and make Israel look bad. I think they see more middle eastern countries normalizing relations with Israel, and see it as a risk that they will end up losing all their support. This was probably planned for a long time, but based on the timing I would guess that they are trying to throw a wrench into the Israel-Saudi Arabia negotiations. Basically they want the rest of the middle east on their side vs Israel, with no middle ground.

Can't these morons find contentment in

I have family in Israel. Hamas knew what they were doing. The government is in flux, it’s a holiday this week with Sukodt…..Israel will strike back with a vengeance and it won’t end well.

This is now a war….not a skirmish.

Terrible.
Can't there morons find joy in gambling playing fantasy sports and watching NFL games commercials instead of killing people?

It's kind of inconceivable to me that Israel is going to respond to this with anything that particularly resembles restraint, and that is fine. Groups like Hamas tend to rely on western governments working the back channels to get Israel to take it easy when the occasional rocket strike comes up. Nobody's going to intervene to hold them back this time, and I can't imagine there's any domestic opposition to an overwhelming military response.

(Imagine what we would have done if a nation state had launched 9/11 as opposed to -- theoretically -- a non-state actor like al Qaeda. That country would no longer exist as an independent political entity. That's Gaza's future in the next few weeks.)

I'm just going to say that I'm thinking of and praying for all the innocents in a conflict such as this. Long ago there were solutions, but this seems like an inextricable problem now. Whether this was caused by Israel, Hamas, the creation of Palestine, colonialism -- however you feel about it, remember that there are innocent people that will suffer and die because of this conflict.

Godspeed on their souls.

Someone is about to find out
They've been finding out for 75 years

I have an ominous feeling this time is going to be different. :(
The scary part is they have to know that, so what is the goal here? I think @tymarsas is on point with his post, so it’s just so scary in terms of where this all leads. I’m not condemning it by any means but I’m not really sure what a very strong response by Israel can accomplish.

IDF/IAF want to turn gaza into a parking lot. I doubt Bibi will object. They will only stop if other Arab countries step in.

The scary part is they have to know that, so what is the goal here? I think @tymarsas is on point with his post, so it’s just so scary in terms of where this all leads. I’m not condemning it by any means but I’m not really sure what a very strong response by Israel can accomplish.
The problem is there really isn't an option C for Israel at this point. It is either A) Do nothing (well that is not going to happen) or B) go scorched earth on them. The end game for Hamas is to play the victim now and hope that someone else steps in militarily, which the Saudi's may just be their Huckleberries, with Iran quietly helping to finance.

This probably couldn't have come at a worse time since the UN and its allies are all-in in the Ukraine.

Just saw a CNN post that Hamas has taken a 'significant' number of hostages (including, from another news blurb, several female soldiers). They apparently have them spread out around Gaza. Which says to me that Hamas seems to be saying: "Come and get them." To which Israel will certainly reply: "Oh, we will ...we will." This will get very ugly, which is an emphasis to @rockaction 's post above.

Just saw a CNN post that Hamas has taken a 'significant' number of hostages (including, from another news blurb, several female soldiers). They apparently have them spread out around Gaza. Which says to me that Hamas seems to be saying: "Come and get them." To which Israel will certainly reply: "Oh, we will ...we will." This will get very ugly, which is an emphasis to @rockaction 's post above.
Yeah, I play ball in a league at the local JCC so I'm on their email list. That's what they're saying as well (the hostage thing). They're basically daring Israel to come wipe them out.

Hamas has launched a surprise attack on Israel on a massive scale. Some horrific video out there right now. The Israeli response will undoubtedly be massive as well. Hopefully we can maintain a discussion and tread lightly on the political front similar to the Ukraine thread in here.

Never gonna end until one side "wins".

-Because I cannot control myself, I'd like to nominate others to speak for me or at least allow me to lean on them, these work just fine.

-I am genuinely interested what we would do if this type of attack happened here because we no longer have a political forum to discuss. It's something at some point I would like cleared up by those who operate this place. In the meantime i would prefer to just read and observe, it certainly irritates me to see Israel attacked, what provoked the attack? Most will say "Nothing" and I understand that logic but there has to be something this gooup of folks who seem ill equipped to fight...their war planes look like ultralights I see on Jupiter Beach every day.

I'm not trying to be funny, really. I'm concerned innocent people are going to be slaughtered on both sides over something the government officials and the Hammas leaders are fighting over. It's heartbreaking to see because you know the response is going to be fierce and justified based on the death toll in Israel.

I'm trying to walk the fence here but again I would prefer reasonable folks do most of the posting for now. I'll try hard not to point fingers or call out any 1 poster, that will get this thread shut immediately, applaud @dickey moe for trying,. I stand with you and Telef

Cheers!

I'm just going to say that I'm thinking of and praying for all the innocents in a conflict such as this. Long ago there were solutions, but this seems like an inextricable problem now. Whether this was caused by Israel, Hamas, the creation of Palestine, colonialism -- however you feel about it, remember that there are innocent people that will suffer and die because of this conflict.

Godspeed on their souls.
I had not read your post when I wrote mine, I see we had similar emotions and thoughts about this.

-I'm not going to speak for anyone else but I feel blessed to live here in the United States, some days are better than others, some days I'm almost ashamed but most days and most of the time I am sincerely grateful to have hit the lottery and be born in the good ole USA.

A lot of people are going to be hurt badly in the coming days, Hamas has hostages, we've seen what these groups tend to do with them, it's horrible to think about.

So sad to read about the attacks this morning. I've seen it described as Israel's "Pearl Harbor," which seems apt. How could Israel not pick up on this? The massive attack against Israel is just a ginormous world event, I believe ...and I fear. After decades of tension, I always held out some hope that a measure of peace would prevail ...an uneasy truce. But this will set back Israeli-Palestinian relations for yet another generation. The misery of the Gaza Strip was bad already, so I can't imagine what life will be like over the days, weeks, and years to come. More immediately, the death toll is already climbing on both sides. :kicksrock:

I see no way IDF/IAF don't go ape-poop in the next few days/weeks. And I don't think it is political to say, selfishly, this is a lose-lose for America.

Either we fully back Israel, which creates openings for other chaos in the region (SA/Iran backing Hamas) - and maybe beyond (China striking while chaos reigns) - or we DON'T back Israel which leaves them open to other enemy states joining in and which will ultimately go very, very badly for us imo.

Hopefully I'm wrong and this turns out like the Russia coup a few weeks ago. I really really hope so.

First of all, this is an occasion where I'm glad we no longer have the PSF, because discussing this in a political context -- especially a US political context -- feels gross.

Mostly, I just feel sad. First and foremost, sad for all the innocent people who have been killed or taken hostage. But also sad because I'm having trouble imagining how this ends well for anyone. Israel is fully justified in responding with overwhelming force against Hamas, but they've been trying to wipe them out for decades, and it's not a lack of restraint that's prevented them from doing so. They'll likely reoccupy Gaza, but they've already done that, and as misguided as their unilateral withdrawal in 2005 seems today, there was a reason why they did it. A long-term occupation of Gaza was not sustainable in 2005, and probably isn't today.

The other thing I find depressing is that, on the one hand, today exposes the lie that Israelis have been telling themselves for the last two decades: that they could simply ignore the Palestinians and build a “normal” society for themselves. At the same time, today makes any solution to that problem even less likely (and it was already pretty damn unlikely).

Just depressing all around.

Yeah, the whole thing just sucks. Right or wrong, the Palestinians feel they have the right to the holy land and call it home. In their minds, the Israelis are occupying that home and forcing them into what amounts to permanent refugee status.

They can't beat them straight up and they know it. So every so often, they do something like this (not to minimize today's events) to try and bait Israel into conflict and (in the hopes of Palestine) provoke a more powerful Arab nation into taking up arms against them. Palestine will get smacked down....HARD. But all that will happen is in another 20 years Palestine will have another generation of angry, orphaned young men ready to try it again. Just unbelievably sad stuff.

The Israelis will never give up Jerusalem. So unless they literally wipe out the Palestinians (which will provoke god knows what sort of response from the rest of the arab world) I just dont see how this ever ends.

The problem is there really isn't an option C for Israel at this point. It is either A) Do nothing (well that is not going to happen) or B) go scorched earth on them. The end game for Hamas is to play the victim now and hope that someone else steps in militarily, which the Saudi's may just be their Huckleberries, with Iran quietly helping to finance.

This probably couldn't have come at a worse time since the UN and its allies are all-in in the Ukraine.
The UN won't necessarily back Israel here.

Hezbollah attacking from Lebanon and what appears to be some random attack in Egypt on israeli tourists isn't going to help this any.

Hezbollah attacking from Lebanon and what appears to be some random attack in Egypt on israeli tourists isn't going to help this any.
If this keeps up Gaza will eventually become a parking lot (being metaphorical mostly).

This was a horrific attack. Israel’s 911. No other way to describe this.

I am praying for all the innocent children and people that will end up in the crossfire and destruction of what will become a long bloody war. This was not smart what so ever. A massive terrorist attack on Israel by Hamas (and now Hezbolah getting in) will only have one eventual outcome. And if we find out
that Iran had connections to supporting this attack……this thing has many tentacles that will have other serious political ramifications.

Hamas just awoke a sleeping dragon. And although Israel is/was going thru it’s own inner turmoil….she is firmly united again today and will answer this.

This has set the region back decades upon decades….it’s just so tragic.

If this keeps up Gaza will eventually become a parking lot (being metaphorical mostly).

I agree with that characterization, but it's worth asking, with the benefit of 20 years' hindsight, did any of our responses to 9/11 make things better? Put aside for a moment your partisan beliefs -- whatever they may be -- or the need to assign blame and consider: Objectively speaking, what geopolitical situations are better today than they were on Sept. 10, 2001? I suppose if you're an Iraqi and you lived through all of the death and devastation of the war, your life is better today than it was under Saddam. But if you look at Afghanistan, the Middle East, and the US itself, it's really hard to argue that things are objectively better.

That's not to say Israel will necessarily repeat the mistakes we made. I hope they can learn from our example. But my level of optimism isn't very high. I understand the urge to turn Gaza into a parking lot, but leaving aside the moral case against it (which is horrific), I don't think it will succeed strategically

I see no way IDF/IAF don't go ape-poop in the next few days/weeks. And I don't think it is political to say, selfishly, this is a lose-lose for America.

Either we fully back Israel, which creates openings for other chaos in the region (SA/Iran backing Hamas) - and maybe beyond (China striking while chaos reigns) - or we DON'T back Israel which leaves them open to other enemy states joining in and which will ultimately go very, very badly for us imo.

Hopefully I'm wrong and this turns out like the Russia coup a few weeks ago. I really really hope so.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that we're backing Israel. Biden said as much in his remarks. It was, [paraphrase]: We got Israel's back if any other countries try and take advantage of this.

I agree with that characterization, but it's worth asking, with the benefit of 20 years' hindsight, did any of our responses to 9/11 make things better? Put aside for a moment your partisan beliefs -- whatever they may be -- or the need to assign blame and consider: Objectively speaking, what geopolitical situations are better today than they were on Sept. 10, 2001? I suppose if you're an Iraqi and you lived through all of the death and devastation of the war, your life is better today than it was under Saddam. But if you look at Afghanistan, the Middle East, and the US itself, it's really hard to argue that things are objectively better.

That's not to say Israel will necessarily repeat the mistakes we made. I hope they can learn from our example. But my level of optimism isn't very high. I understand the urge to turn Gaza into a parking lot, but leaving aside the moral case against it (which is horrific), I don't think it will succeed strategically
There is no good answer.

And I don’t disagree with you.

This is unfortunately going to be a barbaric eye for an eye situation.

But when you are dealing with Hamas….you are dealing with murderers.

There is no peaceful solution with that.

The amount of restraint shown by Israel in a response is really what the question is.

We shall see.

Yeah, it just seems that Hamas' hatred of Israel far exceeds their love and concern for their own people.
This is pretty much the summary of the entire middle east and that's why it has never been a good idea for us to get involved in any of it. "The west" isn't going to fix anything they don't want fixed no matter how hard we try. "Hope to contain" is as good as we'll ever get over there.

Not that we thought the retaliation was going to be anything less, but Israeli Minister of Of Strategic Affairs is on CNN saying the retaliation will need to be so great that no terror organization in the middle east, or even the world, will be willing to pay that price again.

Made a similar analogy to one several people here have made. Basically said this is their 9/11, except instead of it being people thousands of miles away hiding in caves, in this case they know exactly who/where they are to retaliate. Also admonished de-escalation and said "imagine trying to talk people into de-escalation after 9/11".

It's all just so crazy, so sad.

It’s a very small part of it but this is on the list of reasons why the death of religion in the US is a good thing. There’s definitely people here (the US, not FBGs) who support the killing of people in the name of religion and a made up deity.

Who exactly are you talking about with people in the US who support killing of people in the name of religion?

Extremist supporters - supporters of Hamas and what they did. Groups like US Council of Muslim Organizations, Students for Justice in Palestine and The Council on American-Islamic Relations.

It’s a very small part of it but this is on the list of reasons why the death of religion in the US is a good thing. There’s definitely people here (the US, not FBGs) who support the killing of people in the name of religion and a made up deity.

Who exactly are you talking about with people in the US who support killing of people in the name of religion?

Further - it’s a credit to us to not allow religion to influence us to that level - murder and death (except on rare occasions with crazy people) but make no mistake that this is a religious dispute and the world would (possibly*) be a better place without it.

*depends on what backfills it I guess

This has been an ongoing war for decades. Always seems to be one step forward and two steps back. It doesn't look like coexistence is possible between the Israelis and Palestinians. So frustrating and sad.

Not that we thought the retaliation was going to be anything less, but Israeli Minister of Of Strategic Affairs is on CNN saying the retaliation will need to be so great that no terror organization in the middle east, or even the world, will be willing to pay that price again.

Made a similar analogy to one several people here have made. Basically said this is their 9/11, except instead of it being people thousands of miles away hiding in caves, in this case they know exactly who/where they are to retaliate. Also admonished de-escalation and said "imagine trying to talk people into de-escalation after 9/11".

But what's mind-boggling is that Hamas had to know this going in. Yet ...they did it anyway.

But what's mind-boggling is that Hamas had to know this going in. Yet ...they did it anyway.
This simply isn't the mindset of the people in the middle east. Not singling you guys out, but comments from you both illustrate that point. Hamas has a genuine belief that "God" is on their side and they will prevail even through all the bloodshed. They aren't afraid to die, even a little bit. It's a tough belief to wrap one's head around but it's necessary in order to understand what is going on over there.

This isn’t meant towards anyone in particular, but can we please keep touchy subjects out of this discussion so we can regularly come to this thread to get news?
I was about to say something similar, but to be fair, it's probably impossible to discuss this topic without introducing all the ugliness that we tried to leave behind in the PSF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread