What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Think Sam Bradford wished he'd gone pro now? (1 Viewer)

I would say that it depends on what he was told where he would realistically go versus where we assumed he would go...i.e. people assume he was a top 5 or 10 pick, maybe he really wasn't?? He has couple of problems:

1- he has created more questions whan he answered by stayng ..injury, how well he performs w/o a dominate college OL

2- while it does not look like there is a hot name in draft at QB, with a half of a regular season, a bowl season, & off -season workouts if a couple guys emerge as hot candidates while he is rehabing, then he loses his spot in the pecking order.

3- present value of money. If he is drafted at the exact spot, asuming that the normal contract inflation continues is risky. Rather have those funds investement under my name than assuming that the number 3 pick in the draft will automatically get a 6% (or what ever it is) over the previous year's number 3 overall contract.

I bet he REALLY wishes he'd gone pro now. This season literally has cost him 10 million or more.
This is a myth. If he gets surgery and has a good combine and the doctors say he is 100 percent, it cost him nothing.
It did cost him money. Even if he gets the same contract as he would have had he entered the draft last year (doubtful, IMO), he will never make the money he would have made this year.

I bet he REALLY wishes he'd gone pro now. This season literally has cost him 10 million or more.
This is a myth. If he gets surgery and has a good combine and the doctors say he is 100 percent, it cost him nothing.
It did cost him money. Even if he gets the same contract as he would have had he entered the draft last year (doubtful, IMO), he will never make the money he would have made this year.
Probably even more then the money he would have made this year. One year away from the second contract where the big money is made if all things break right. One less prime year.Always take the cash. Silly.

The unfortunate thing (for college football) is that this will lead to too many other underclassmen declaring when they should stay in school. It will make the NFL draft deeper, but will be bad for college football.

If I were a prospect I'd rather go to a winner
as opposed to getting top 10 pick money? I'm not so sure. Plus, things change quickly in the NFL. Matt Ryan doesn't seem to mind going to a then losing team. Neither does Peyton Manning or Eli. Or Rivers, or... you get the point.
Sure about that? :moneybag:
I know you're kidding, but Eli did go to a losing team, just not the "horrible franchise" he didn't want to go to. If I'm a franchise type QB I have no problem going to a team that is down a bit, but I'm not wanting to play for the Raiders or Lions.

Probably even more then the money he would have made this year. One year away from the second contract where the big money is made if all things break right. One less prime year.Always take the cash. Silly.
I never understood the pundits who insist players stay in school. If they're not ready and won't be drafted near where they're likely to be next year I'd recommend staying, but if a top company from whatever profession you're studying for offered you a top paying job when you're a junior would you really turn it down to go back to school as a senior? Don't forget you can always go back to school and some players actually finish their degree despite leaving early.

You know...you see alot of situations where a kid is projected to go high in January and then come April, their draft stock has gone kablooey. This also happens in reverse. Quinn and Aaron Rodgers were in the running for #1 pick status in April but come draft day slid infamously.

That said, I think there were some significant question marks around Bradford's readiness for the NFL related to his 1) experience 2) size 3) physical tools 4) upbringing in the strict spread. With a guy like Stafford whose arm strength is undeniable, the risks of coming out were less...plus he played in a pro-style offense.

Could Bradford have stayed in that Top 10 range? Potentially. But I think he also sensed that he could fall and as such why not try and increase your chances of becoming a no brainer Top 10 pick?
Were they really though or was it pundits who said that? Or coaches saying so to smokescreen what they really planned.Rodgers is an example I think of a good players that had time to be better. If he had been thrown out as the starter in San Francisco would he be the same player?
Admittedly, I stopped here on the thread, because this is what I came to post. Smith and Rodgers were 1 and 1A; no real winner except for who SF picked. We know the story and Rodgers had time to be groomed, went to a better organization (the ones picking in the 20s usually are), and while Rodgers will be collecting another big time contract, Smith most likely will be out of the league in a couple of years. It is hard to compare people (never really apples to apples), but if you switched the two, who knows whether the story would be the exact opposite. Bradford may be better off ats a 20-30 pick than a top ten (even finacially in the long run). I always thought one of the reasons that Leinert stayed in school is because he did not want to be a Niner...he collected top 10 money, and is in a much better situation to be given an extension (and a chance at that) to be a QB on a good team.
There's some truth to this but it seems awfully risky. Not only do you risk injury and losing $$$$, let's say the Rams have the top pick this year and the projected top pick follows that logic - he goes back for another year. Now he's lucky and doesn't get injured and has a great year. Now the Lions are picking 1.01 and will take him. Is he any better off a Lion instead of a Ram? Or is your assumption that he'll get picked lower the next year? There's also no guarantee the team picking in the 20s is better than the one picking 1.01. Take 2008 for example - the Dolphins are a better team than the Bucs, Lions or Chiefs.

The unfortunate thing (for college football) is that this will lead to too many other underclassmen declaring when they should stay in school. It will make the NFL draft deeper, but will be bad for college football.
I think it will be the same as it's always been. Bradford was in the minority as far as guys staying projected as high as he was. Someone like Tebow for instance will always opt to stay to try and improve stock if they feel like they are going way lower than they think they should. There are only so many first round slots and I think that is the trigger most will be looking for.

Bradford might have lost a lot of money today.

When his freshman replacement goes 30-51 for 418 yards and 3 TDs, the "system quarterback" whispers will get louder.

He'll be the third QB taken after Clausen and Locker.
Bradford might have lost a lot of money today. When his freshman replacement goes 30-51 for 418 yards and 3 TDs, the "system quarterback" whispers will get louder.
This thread shows how some football fans have no clue of what they are talking about. As I was saying, it didn't cost him a dime and last year he might have been the 2nd QB taken.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread shows how some football fans have no clue of what they are talking about. As I was saying, it didn't cost him a dime and last year he might have been the 2nd QB taken.
Have all the predictions you've ever made come true? :rolleyes:
Your statement wasn't a prediction as much as it was crappy piling-on shtick. :bye:
They'll all eat crow when Sam's inducted into the HoF* won't they, Doc? :shrug: *Remember, no bumping by the Sam haters. This is merely a prediction and not a guaranty. :P

However, if you consider compound interest from last year's contract, it may have cost him some coin. All depends on how much he would have invested versus the bump in pay to this year.

Users who are viewing this thread