What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thomas Jones News (1 Viewer)

I think John Clayton reported that Benson would start this weekend while Jones sits out. I was in the other room at the time - but I think that is what he indicated (ESPN SportsCenter)

Last edited by a moderator:
RB Cedric Benson would likely be the next in line to start during Week 6 if Jones is unable to play. However, head coach Lovie Smith also noted he was pleased with how well RB Adrian Peterson has played.
Coachspeak.If Lovie doesn't praise Peterson, Benson will relax and figure he has the job sewn up.
But honestly, coach Smith has been backing up this talk with action in how he's playing the two.J

Prediction: Jones sits, Benson starts, and Benson gets at least 20 carries and tops the 100-yard mark.Then: full-fledged runningback controversy.

So, when TJ was jogging while the team practiced, who was getting all the snaps with the first team? Cedric or Peterson?

RB Cedric Benson would likely be the next in line to start during Week 6 if Jones is unable to play. However, head coach Lovie Smith also noted he was pleased with how well RB Adrian Peterson has played.
Coachspeak.If Lovie doesn't praise Peterson, Benson will relax and figure he has the job sewn up.
But honestly, coach Smith has been backing up this talk with action in how he's playing the two.J
Based on what you know, and this week's opponent, who would you start?Seems like the perfect opportunity to find out what the rookie can do.

Benson should get the start, with Peterson playing on 3rd downs and obvious pass situations. The way Orton throws the ball lately I dont know if there are any obvious pass situations.

Latest news on T. Jones from the Chicago Sun-Times offers at least a glimmer of hope -

Sun-Times Update on TJ 10/13
I cant get the link to open. Would someone please copy and paste.
Jones questionable but not out for VikingsOctober 13, 2005

BY BRAD BIGGS STAFF REPORTER

The Bears have not ruled out using running back Thomas Jones on Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings' last-ranked run defense.

Jones is questionable with a mild sprain in his right knee. He was held out of practice Wednesday but didn't show a limp and jogged onto the fields behind Halas Hall.

"I'm not counting him out yet,'' offensive coordinator Ron Turner said. "I know if it's possible for him to play, he'll play.''

Jones has been at Halas Hall nonstop for treatment since being injured in the fourth quarter Sunday after piling up 137 yards, his third straight 100-yard effort. John St. Clair, who might start Sunday in place of left tackle John Tait (left ankle, questionable), played with Jones for four seasons at Virginia and doesn't recall him missing a game.

"He's a tough player the way his body is built, so muscular and fit,'' St. Clair said. "He's the type of dude you would never think would get hurt. You see him walking around like he's fine, not catering to the injury.''

If Jones cannot go, the Bears are expected to start rookie Cedric Benson and also use Adrian Peterson. They'll have to be careful because every time Peterson has played, the explanation has been that he's better suited for passing situations.

Turner knows the Bears can't tip their play-calling with the back they have on the field.

"Cedric is coming along, as far as knowing the whole thing,'' running backs coach Tim Spencer said. "Certainly A.P. gives us a guy who has been around a little longer. I feel good about the situation.''

Spencer acknowledged that Benson's fumble in the third quarter Sunday and failure on third-and-one and fourth-and-two in the second quarter contributed to Peterson getting the call after Jones was knocked out. Benson said concern about his pass blocking is out of proportion.

"I'm as ready as ready can be,'' Benson said. "I've had plenty of weeks, plenty of time to get it all down.''

Based on what you know, and this week's opponent, who would you start?Seems like the perfect opportunity to find out what the rookie can do.
I haven't seen to many teams run with both a rookie QB and rookie RB. Peterson will get the bulk of the carries and will represent Georgia Southern. He is a hoss and can carry the load if given the chance. :boxing:

Bri, the Bears might gain by keeping Orton vertical.
:goodposting:
I can't remember the last time Orton had a downfield pass. It seems all of his passes are less than 15 yards. The Bears don't make an attempt to stretch the field. "Muhammad - go about 18 yards and turn around." That's about the extent of what I've seen. Why they don't try to stretch the field is beyond me?! :confused:

"I'm as ready as ready can be,'' Benson said. "I've had plenty of weeks, plenty of time to get it all down.''Funny. That's not what the coaching staff has been saying. As a Jones owner I'm loving this incongruiety(sp?) with what Benson is saying and what the coaching staff is saying. Not that I'm terribly worried about Benson anyway. If Jones can make it back healthy and have no lingering effects from this injury he will have a career year no doubt. He is the Chicago offense.

Should I pick up Benson as a FA? Drop Brooks or Stallworth maybe?I've gotQB: Hass, Brooks, BrunellRB: Edge, Portis, Rudi, LaMontWR: Chad, Wayne, Curtis, Jurivicious, Porter, StallworthI just dropped stallworth.. what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Should I pick up Benson as a FA? Drop Brooks or Stallworth maybe?

I've got

QB: Hass, Brooks, Brunell

RB: Edge, Portis, Rudi, LaMont

WR: Chad, Wayne, Curtis, Jurivicious, Porter, Stallworth

I just dropped stallworth.. what do you think?
1) You should've stood pat2) You should've dropped Brooks and gotten another QB

3) You shouldve put this in the correct forum

So, ummm.... do any of my fellow Benson owners kind of secretly hope that Jones rushes back this week, and ends up doing more damage to the knee, enabling Benson to keep the job all year? :unsure:

Sorry, it had to be said. I know that somebody else is thinking it.

So, ummm.... do any of my fellow Benson owners kind of secretly hope that Jones rushes back this week, and ends up doing more damage to the knee, enabling Benson to keep the job all year? :unsure:

Sorry, it had to be said. I know that somebody else is thinking it.
**cough** **cough** :yes:

As a Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson owner. I would definitely like to see Jones sit out this week and get healthy. In the interim, give Benson the ball, he's a first round pick, you got to see what he's made off. Make him pass block. If he can't get it done and Orton is taking hits, then sit him on the obvious passing plays. If he still can pass block when they mix it up, bring Peterson in for the rest of the game. At least I'll have TJ back for next week and will know what Benson is really worth. How do I get in contact with the Bears coaching staff to let them know what I've decided the team should do?

Did Jones do any practicing today? Anyone know?
KFFLBears | Jones Misses Practice, Hopeful to Play Week 6

Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:49:59 -0700

Chicago Bears RB Thomas Jones (knee) missed practice Thursday, Oct. 13, but remains hopeful to play during Week 6. Jones is listed as questionable this week with a knee injury. If Jones were unable to play, RB Cedric Benson would likely start at running back this week.

And i believe i read somewhere that lovie said that jones would have to practice thurs. and fri. in order to play on sunday FWIW I guess i'll have to roll with Mike Anderson this week.. :cry:

From CBS Sportsline...News: Thomas Jones (knee) is listed as questionable for Week 6 against Minnesota. The Chicago Sun-Time reports that Jones was held out of practice Wednesday, but he didn't limp when he jogged and is not ruled out of Sunday's game. "I'm not counting him out yet,'' offensive coordinator Ron Turner said. "I know if it's possible for him to play, he'll play.'' :popcorn:

I'd rather see TJ sit this one out, have Benson falter, and then TJ come back strong next week.I am worried he is going to see his job may be in jeopardy, push himself, and hurt himself worse...

I was listening to WSCR 670 tonight and Mike Mulligan (the Bears beat reporter for the Sun Times) said that Thomas Jones trotted into Halas Hall from his car and avoided all media.He's been getting treatment on his knee morning, day and night and does NOT want to lose his job to Cedric Benson because of an injury.My take on things: Thomas Jones will play sparingly (if at all) the next couple of weeks, and then it's back to normal after that.I have little faith in Cedric Benson succeeding, especially with John Tait (ankle) about to be replaced by John (the human turnstyle) St. Clair.

I tried getting help over on the other board, and ZILCH success. So i apologize in advance, but do Jones owners think he has much value left in a dynasty league? I know sooner or later, Benson has to get the ball, i mean, they are paying him HUGE dollars. I've been offered Benson for Jacobs, Moats, or Fason...but being a dynasty, i'm not sure its worth it. Seems the Benson era could start this weekend. Thoughts?

in regards to a dynasty league.Jones may not have longterm value(as you say) with the Bears but as long as he does well, some NFL team will start him. You don't sit if you're a very good RB and he's been playing well raising his stock dramatically the last 2 years

Benson has a potential golden opportunity here. We'll see if he takes it, and going against the Vikes he'll get plenty of room to show what he can do. I'm a Jones owner, but a Bears fan first. I hope that we win and I hope that we look good doing it. To me, it will be interesting to see if with extended time Benson is able to get into a groove. I personally think that we'll see at least 50% Peterson, and that there's a chance they'll both show glimpses, but Benson would be best off if the Bears are up/close late and run the clock away in the late 3rd/4th on a tired defense.I hope Jones sits and rests, as I want him healthy more than anything!As for Benson, he's got his chance; we'll see if he capitalizes.

I was listening to WSCR 670 tonight and Mike Mulligan (the Bears beat reporter for the Sun Times) said that Thomas Jones trotted into Halas Hall from his car and avoided all media.

He's been getting treatment on his knee morning, day and night and does NOT want to lose his job to Cedric Benson because of an injury.

My take on things: Thomas Jones will play sparingly (if at all) the next couple of weeks, and then it's back to normal after that.

I have little faith in Cedric Benson succeeding, especially with John Tait (ankle) about to be replaced by John (the human turnstyle) St. Clair.
Heard the same thing. My guess (and by the sound of it) TJ will sit this week though he's trying like hell to give it a go.I'd think the Bears brass would like TJ to sit this week (for his sake and to get Benson some confidence). Let Benson have the favorable matchup and see what he can do.

1 solid week from Benson this week isn't going to cause TJ to lose the job. If TJ comes back this week and furthur injures himself, I think then we could be looking at another story.

I was listening to WSCR 670 tonight and Mike Mulligan (the Bears beat reporter for the Sun Times) said that Thomas Jones trotted into Halas Hall from his car and avoided all media.

He's been getting treatment on his knee morning, day and night and does NOT want to lose his job to Cedric Benson because of an injury.

My take on things: Thomas Jones will play sparingly (if at all) the next couple of weeks, and then it's back to normal after that.

I have little faith in Cedric Benson succeeding, especially with John Tait (ankle) about to be replaced by John (the human turnstyle) St. Clair.
You don't like Benson so it's not that surprising you have little faith in him.

My take on things:  Thomas Jones will play sparingly (if at all) the next couple of weeks, and then it's back to normal after that.

The guy has proven NOTHING so far - so WHY should I have faith in him. Given the choice of Benson or Thomas Jones this week, I'd start Adrian Peterson.

My take on things:   Thomas Jones will play sparingly (if at all) the next couple of weeks, and then it's back to normal after that.

The guy has proven NOTHING so far - so WHY should I have faith in him. Given the choice of Benson or Thomas Jones this week, I'd start Adrian Peterson.
I LIKE Benson and have little faith in him this year. I just have not seen any fire in this kid this year. He comes across as real aloof. Thomas Jones has been on fire and has a chip on his shoulder to keep his job. You gotta like it.

"He's not losing anything,'' Bears coach Lovie Smith said. "He's our starter, and when he comes back, he's going to be that. We just want to make sure [he's healthy]. Thomas will let us know. I am hoping he'll be ready and back on the field this week. We know it's not a long-term thing, and next week he'll be back, if not this week.''Turner said even if Jones can go Sunday, Benson will get a few designated series to continue his development and keep him involved. But in the best of all worlds, it will be Jones who starts."I want Thomas to play,'' Turner said. "That is not a knock on Cedric; that is a compliment to Thomas. He's running really well. The team has a lot of confidence in him. Everybody does. We do as a coaching staff. If he can play, he's going to play.'' :thumbup: #4 pick or not, Thomas Jones is a better RB, and it figures to be that way for a while the way TJ is playing.

"He's not losing anything,'' Bears coach Lovie Smith said. "He's our starter, and when he comes back, he's going to be that. We just want to make sure [he's healthy]. Thomas will let us know. I am hoping he'll be ready and back on the field this week. We know it's not a long-term thing, and next week he'll be back, if not this week.''

Turner said even if Jones can go Sunday, Benson will get a few designated series to continue his development and keep him involved. But in the best of all worlds, it will be Jones who starts.

"I want Thomas to play,'' Turner said. "That is not a knock on Cedric; that is a compliment to Thomas. He's running really well. The team has a lot of confidence in him. Everybody does. We do as a coaching staff. If he can play, he's going to play.''

:thumbup:

#4 pick or not, Thomas Jones is a better RB, and it figures to be that way for a while the way TJ is playing.
Look the only people pimping Benson is uninformed Benson owners.. People who want him to start to justify taking him SOOOO early. I can bet the FBG writers are not so high on Benson this year.. Next year is a different story.. There hasn't been 1 fact that supports Benson is going to be the man sooner then later.. I get a kick out of this.. :D

according to John Clayton Benson is starting...

Minnesota Vikings at Chicago Bears | Scouting report

Can the Vikings have any more distractions? The chartered cruise disaster and charges of lewd player behavior is just another problem for Vikings coach Mike Tice. They've had more team meetings than any other team in the NFL. Tice brought in two consultants to help with strategy but the Vikings need to win. This is their first NFC North game of the season and they need to establish themselves as the best team in the division if they have hopes of making the playoffs. The Bears couldn't be more vulnerable. They are starting three rookies on offense -- quarterback Kyle Orton, halfback Cedric Benson and wide receiver Mark Bradley. Benson is starting for Thomas Jones, who is out with a knee injury. Offensive coordinator Ron Turner is trying to give extra protection for Orton, keeping in extra blockers. All the Vikings have to worry about is cover-two receivers going into routes and trying to put pressure on Orton. For the Vikings, this game and next week's against the Packers are vital.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...ten/week6&num=4

according to John Clayton Benson is starting...

Minnesota Vikings at Chicago Bears | Scouting report

Can the Vikings have any more distractions? The chartered cruise disaster and charges of lewd player behavior is just another problem for Vikings coach Mike Tice. They've had more team meetings than any other team in the NFL. Tice brought in two consultants to help with strategy but the Vikings need to win. This is their first NFC North game of the season and they need to establish themselves as the best team in the division if they have hopes of making the playoffs. The Bears couldn't be more vulnerable. They are starting three rookies on offense -- quarterback Kyle Orton, halfback Cedric Benson and wide receiver Mark Bradley. Benson is starting for Thomas Jones, who is out with a knee injury. Offensive coordinator Ron Turner is trying to give extra protection for Orton, keeping in extra blockers. All the Vikings have to worry about is cover-two receivers going into routes and trying to put pressure on Orton. For the Vikings, this game and next week's against the Packers are vital.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...ten/week6&num=4
Great pickup. I dropped TJ out of my starting roster today and plugged in SDavis. Davis is practicing and I like the fact that Fox sort of called out the rest of the team about Davis' low ypc.

Why do reporters even question head coaches in today's day and age? They would get more information out of a rock.

Jones is producing Pro Bowl numbers, rushing for 413 yards and four touchdowns on 86 carries in the first quarter of the season. Project those numbers over 16 games, and he would finish with 1,652 yards and 16 touchdowns. But Smith doesn't want Jones to feel any added pressure to come back, other than the obvious reason that his presence will help the Bears if he's healthy.

"We want him for the long haul,'' Smith said. "If he's not ready to go completely, we'll bring in Cedric, and Adrian [Peterson] will have to bring up the line. Whether it's Ruben [brown] or John Tait -- any of our players -- we'll ask guys to play with pain, but not with an injury. That's why we get backups ready. That's why you have a 53-man squad.''
I like Lovie Smith, and I like Jones' outlook for this season based on what he's saying. :thumbup:

Bears | T. Jones PracticesFri, 14 Oct 2005 10:58:05 -0700Chicago Bears RB Thomas Jones (knee) was a participant in practice Friday, Oct. 14. Jones is still listed as questionable for the Week 6 game against the Minnesota Vikings Sunday, Oct. 16.

Best news I've heard all day. I had to decide between TJ and Fred Taylor and took TJ. Now lets hope he managed to make it through practice intact and with no set backs.

Best news I've heard all day. I had to decide between TJ and Fred Taylor and took TJ. Now lets hope he managed to make it through practice intact and with no set backs.
Adrian Peterson will get more than double the carris of Benson. No way Lovie is going to let his rookie QB killed with Benson not having a clue where the blitz is coming. AP will carry the rock for 100 yards and 2 TD's against a horrible run D. :popcorn:

Bears | T. Jones Practices

Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:58:05 -0700

Chicago Bears RB Thomas Jones (knee) was a participant in practice Friday, Oct. 14. Jones is still listed as questionable for the Week 6 game against the Minnesota Vikings Sunday, Oct. 16.
Yes!

Sounds like TJ looked good in practice today though they weren't in full pads. Also, it doesn't look like Lovie has a hard and fast rule that players have to participate in practice on Thursday and Friday in order to play (I mention this because a post above suggets otherwise.)

It's still being called a game time decision, but my money is on TJ playing this weekend.

Jones returns to practice, likely a game-time decision @ ChicagoBears.com 10/14

Sounds like TJ looked good in practice today though they weren't in full pads. Also, it doesn't look like Lovie has a hard and fast rule that players have to participate in practice on Thursday and Friday in order to play (I mention this because a post above suggets otherwise.)

It's still being called a game time decision, but my money is on TJ playing this weekend.

Jones returns to practice, likely a game-time decision @ ChicagoBears.com 10/14
But how can that be? John Clayton already reported that Benson is starting. :D

Users who are viewing this thread