What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thread to Discuss the Texas school shooting - no politics (1 Viewer)

How hard is it to keep them in a safe unless you are saying most 17 year olds are masters at safe hacking. 
What I am saying is that many families in that part of the country are using what amounts to be a "family" gun safe.  They are using it to keep the guns out of the hands of small children and/or thieves.  Not out of the hands of teens that typically hunt with them or on their own.   

I'll repeat - not saying that is what happened here. 

I am saying that what I just described is true for the vast majority of my friends and their families.  

This has to change.  It's obvious this country won't do anything about crazy people of age owning guns, but if you allow access to your guns to someone and they use them in a school shooting you should go to jail.  May be the only way we get people to secure their damn firearms.

haven't read the thread, but good to see a talk about a serious issue with hopefully no pissing contests in it. 

So i worked with the schools in Philadelphia for years, and there have been threats of gun violence for all those years. they did a few things. One is that all doors to the outside are locked except for one main entrance. this wasn't full proof because kids would let other kids in, but it was a start. the other was metal detectors at every entrance. some wanted to fight this saying it made people feel like inmates going to school, but honestly never heard that from a staff or the kids. 

not saying it would prevent any of these, but it would be a start. the idea of adding more guns in a school to fight off these killings is beyond frightening, and has to come from people who have not stepped in a public school for ages. 

haven't read the thread, but good to see a talk about a serious issue with hopefully no pissing contests in it. 

So i worked with the schools in Philadelphia for years, and there have been threats of gun violence for all those years. they did a few things. One is that all doors to the outside are locked except for one main entrance. this wasn't full proof because kids would let other kids in, but it was a start. the other was metal detectors at every entrance. some wanted to fight this saying it made people feel like inmates going to school, but honestly never heard that from a staff or the kids. 

not saying it would prevent any of these, but it would be a start. the idea of adding more guns in a school to fight off these killings is beyond frightening, and has to come from people who have not stepped in a public school for ages. 
Was there armed security at the entrance with the metal detectors? What happened when the detectors went off?

Was there armed security at the entrance with the metal detectors? What happened when the detectors went off?
not sure if they were armed, but at most of the high schools they were Philadelphia police so i would assume they had something. it was also a way for the police to know the community better, etc. so it helped both. 

detectors would go off, and kids were pulled aside and checked. It was a pain in the ### when it happened, but they would catch weapons from time to time. 

not saying this is the answer, better mental health services by professionals and not just school district staff would be a step in the right direction as well. 

not sure if they were armed, but at most of the high schools they were Philadelphia police so i would assume they had something. it was also a way for the police to know the community better, etc. so it helped both. 

detectors would go off, and kids were pulled aside and checked. It was a pain in the ### when it happened, but they would catch weapons from time to time. 

not saying this is the answer, better mental health services by professionals and not just school district staff would be a step in the right direction as well. 
Metal detectors would seem to help if they are accompanied by armed police. Otherwise, why wouldn’t the shooter just walk in and start shooting? 

As a gun owner, these situations drive me crazy.  I have an assortment of weapons in the house.  And a 17 year old.  He's been shooting with me, understands the dangers of the weapons, yet has ZERO access to them.  They are in a safe that he does not have the combination to.  The only way he can get to these weapons is by somehow breaking open an actual gun safe.  Do I trust him around the weapons?  Absolutely.  We had a situation a few months back where some teenage family was over my older son's house babysitting.  There was a bachelorette party going on and my house and my son's house was where the kids were being watched.  My older son was not home that weekend and there were a couple 16 year old girls watching some of the younger kids there.   My 17 year old came to me and said, "Hey dad.. Doesn't my brother have guns in his house?  Shouldn't we make sure they aren't out?  I don't trust those kids over there." Him and I went over there and did a sweep.  Sure enough, his tactical shotgun was in the closet.  We took the weapon with us and I couldn't have been prouder of my 17 year old for thinking of that.  I didn't. This same 17 year old that I was proud of, trust around weapons does not have access to the weapons in our house.  BECAUSE HE IS 17.  AND AT THAT AGE THEY TEND TO BE A LITTLE GOOFY IN THE HEAD AND MAKE BAD DECISIONS.  

I just don't get it.  Lock you #### up when you have teens. It's not rocket science.

I obviously don't know all the details but it's got to be hotter than hell in Texas by this time of year.  How did someone not stop and question this kid wearing a long black trench coat between arriving at the school and walking into the school?

I obviously don't know all the details but it's got to be hotter than hell in Texas by this time of year.  How did someone not stop and question this kid wearing a long black trench coat between arriving at the school and walking into the school?
My thoughts exactly.

I may be wrong but I thought I read that he wore a trench coat most  days. Also it sounded like the shooting happened first thing in the AM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding motive, this falls under opinion for now. But a mother of one victim said her daughter had publicly rebuffed "aggressive advances" from the shooter and "A week layer he opens fire on everyone he didn't like."
If this was motive, it would be the second recent  "scorned guy" shooting I think it was Maryland where a student went after ex-girlfriend.
If I got that mad over girls not accepting my advances I'd probably be dead. I've struck out on more then a few occasions with Girls. I blame this whole generation of being over sensitive if this is what's leading to school shootings. The whole "everyone gets a trophy" and "I'm offended by everything" needs to stop. I don't mind being polite and so fourth but Jesus pretty soon all these kids will need to live in their own bubbles. What do these kids think will happen in the working world? Life isn't fair. I'm not making this as an excuse for school shootings but I think we need to take everything into account on these issues. Bullying, kids being offended and too much access to guns. 

As a gun owner, these situations drive me crazy.  I have an assortment of weapons in the house.  And a 17 year old.  He's been shooting with me, understands the dangers of the weapons, yet has ZERO access to them.  They are in a safe that he does not have the combination to.  The only way he can get to these weapons is by somehow breaking open an actual gun safe.  Do I trust him around the weapons?  Absolutely.  We had a situation a few months back where some teenage family was over my older son's house babysitting.  There was a bachelorette party going on and my house and my son's house was where the kids were being watched.  My older son was not home that weekend and there were a couple 16 year old girls watching some of the younger kids there.   My 17 year old came to me and said, "Hey dad.. Doesn't my brother have guns in his house?  Shouldn't we make sure they aren't out?  I don't trust those kids over there." Him and I went over there and did a sweep.  Sure enough, his tactical shotgun was in the closet.  We took the weapon with us and I couldn't have been prouder of my 17 year old for thinking of that.  I didn't. This same 17 year old that I was proud of, trust around weapons does not have access to the weapons in our house.  BECAUSE HE IS 17.  AND AT THAT AGE THEY TEND TO BE A LITTLE GOOFY IN THE HEAD AND MAKE BAD DECISIONS.  

I just don't get it.  Lock you #### up when you have teens. It's not rocket science.
You're one of the few who thinks this way and great for you. I have no issue with kids handling firearms around adults but the adults should have their #### locked up. If you can't responsible keep your guns out of reach from your kids well you honestly aren't responsible enough to own a weapon in the first place. 

The article stated he wore it every day no matter the temp. It was nothing out of the normal for him.

If I got that mad over girls not accepting my advances I'd probably be dead. I've struck out on more then a few occasions with Girls. I blame this whole generation of being over sensitive if this is what's leading to school shootings. The whole "everyone gets a trophy" and "I'm offended by everything" needs to stop. I don't mind being polite and so fourth but Jesus pretty soon all these kids will need to live in their own bubbles. What do these kids think will happen in the working world? Life isn't fair. I'm not making this as an excuse for school shootings but I think we need to take everything into account on these issues. Bullying, kids being offended and too much access to guns. 
This is a bad post. 

This is a bad post. 
How so I'm more so saying I think we should take everything into account. However getting rejected by a girl shouldn't make you become some psycho shooting up the school. Perhaps there are some mental issues with these kids but it also shouldn't be the end of the argument because we need better sensible gun control laws. However I think kids today grow up with such an entitlement at least some of them that when they don't get their way they throw a temper-tantrum. The sad thing is what parents believe is appropriate and whats not too. I have friends who tell their kids they can't be doing or watching this or that and I'm like "Uh you did that as a kid too when we grew up or you were a huge fan of that show and wouldn't stop talking about it for days." Why are you becoming some oversensitive parent now? I stated in my issue with a friend post that the dude was enabled as a child and basically was never said no too. He's grown up into an entitlement adult where he thinks he deserves everything. My cousin went into school with the same field and ended up getting a job in the field working for the Mia heat. He also went to grad school and took initiatives of linking and networking. My buddy just thought he'd get it handed to him, wasn't a great student, never went to grade school or linked and network with people. That's why he sell's phones and has to work 80 plus hrs just so he can move out of his parents house eventually and why my cousin now works in the field he majors in. We need people not to be like my friend more like my cousin. Life isn't always fair. 

I think Gun control is a huge step forward but I also think our mental health system sucks and we need to do a better job of not handing everything to our kids. They need to learn in the real world life isn't aways fair. Do you know how many times in my job I've been passed over on assignments or moving up and a person who didn't deserve it got it over me? Ive lost track and as unfair as it is I've kept going. 

Agreed with most of this. Kids are pu@@@@@ nowadays that's all there is to it. And his idiot father saying "he is a good boy". Oh okay pops, you dipsh@@. It's a shame they didn't pump a few rounds into him to save tax dollars, but maybe going away and being Bubba's b@@@@ the rest of his life is better.

irish eyes said:
Agreed with most of this. Kids are pu@@@@@ nowadays that's all there is to it. And his idiot father saying "he is a good boy". Oh okay pops, you dipsh@@. It's a shame they didn't pump a few rounds into him to save tax dollars, but maybe going away and being Bubba's b@@@@ the rest of his life is better.
Ever notice these White school shooters are taken in without incident but the black kid who isn't packing anything but some smokes or a cell phone gets turned into Swiss cheese. It is a dam same they didn't pimp a few rounds in this kid. Saves a lot of tax dollars. Either way this guy was trying to get into Girls pants unwanted. Well I hope he enjoys bubba getting into his Prison jump suit unwanted daily. 

So the dad is now saying his son is a Victim? Dude your son doesn't know how to respect women and USED YOUR GUNS TO SHOOT AN EX, THIS GIRL AND A FEW OTHERS!!!!!! I would like the question you as a father and a gun owner. Obviously you aren't responsible enough to do either. 

Users who are viewing this thread