What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thursday Night Football Game Thread - 09.16.21 - WFT (-3.5) vs. NYG 40.5 O/U (5 Viewers)

Only against the Lions, apparently

I just looked it up.  It's only a 10 second runoff if the ruling on the field stopped the clock and then the review changed it to something that should have had the clock running.  So if they'd ruled the McLaurin catch incomplete and then changed it to a catch via replay they would have run off 10 seconds.

I just looked it up.  It's only a 10 second runoff if the ruling on the field stopped the clock and then the review changed it to something that should have had the clock running.  So if they'd ruled the McLaurin catch incomplete and then changed it to a catch via replay they would have run off 10 seconds.
They must have changed it, then

Giants have zero idea, I mean none, about how a game is won. Parcels is having a fit right now. The game was there. This just needed to make any one of a number of plays and they couldn’t. They deserve all the roasting they get. 

They must have changed it, then

Yeah I think you're right.  If my memory serves I thought the original intent of the rule was to prevent a free clock stoppage when it should have been running.  I want to say a game (maybe it's the Lions game you're talking about) where someone was tackled in bounds and there was no way they had time to run another play, but they stopped the clock to review the play which gave the team a free clock stoppage and allowed them to line up to spike the ball after the review that confirmed the play on the field.

But it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.  How crappy would it have been for WFT to lose that game with a 10 second runoff there even though they were lined up in plenty of time to spike the ball.

Feels like a good time to point out Joe Judge is a ST coach. All the laps! Dexter Lawrence might lose 20 pounds next week.

Feels like a good time to point out Joe Judge is a ST coach. All the laps! Dexter Lawrence might lose 20 pounds next week.
Judge should be running laps for his scared play calling. How many field goals do you need to kick? At some point you need to stop being terrified of a 4th down and try to win the game. 

God I would hate him if I were a giants fan. 

Why the heck did the Giants only rush 10 guys? What was #43's job, play ten yards off the line in case of a fake?

Judge should be running laps for his scared play calling. How many field goals do you need to kick? At some point you need to stop being terrified of a 4th down and try to win the game. 

God I would hate him if I were a giants fan. 
I mostly agree with this, but this was a defensive loss for the Giants. You score 29 points, you should almost always win, especially against Washington.

I mostly agree with this, but this was a defensive loss for the Giants. You score 29 points, you should almost always win, especially against Washington.
Sure there’s blame to go around but knowing your defense isn’t playing great is even more reason to stop kicking these field goals. I don’t care about the Giants at all but these coaches who act like it’s still a game stuck in 1983 drive me insane. 

Giants jumping offsides bailed out Washington's gutless play call with 10 seconds left.  Ball is at the 30 (or 29), 10 seconds left, and you have a timeout, and you opt to not gain any more yardage??  Why not try to get a few more yards to make the FG a little easier?  Felt like Marty Schottenheimer was coaching the WFT there at the end. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I think you're right.  If my memory serves I thought the original intent of the rule was to prevent a free clock stoppage when it should have been running.  I want to say a game (maybe it's the Lions game you're talking about) where someone was tackled in bounds and there was no way they had time to run another play, but they stopped the clock to review the play which gave the team a free clock stoppage and allowed them to line up to spike the ball after the review that confirmed the play on the field.

But it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.  How crappy would it have been for WFT to lose that game with a 10 second runoff there even though they were lined up in plenty of time to spike the ball.
Looks like I misremembered. Lions lost the game when the original call was a TD (clock stopped), and they reversed it to down on the 1-inch line. 8 seconds left in the game, so even though the whole offense was standing within 3 yards of the new line of scrimmage and they would have had plenty of time to line up and spike the ball if the call was right, the game ended with the runoff.

On replay stoppages, where it's no fault of the offense that the clock stopped, a good compromise would be to only run off 5 seconds, which is probably a more realistic estimate of the time it would take for the offense to line up and spike on most plays. And would reduce the chances of ending a game on a referee's mistake instead of letting the teams play it out.

Giants jumping offsides bailed out Washington's gutless play call with 10 seconds left.  Ball is at the 30 (or 29), 10 seconds left, and you have a timeout, and you opt to not gain any more yardage??  Why not try to get a few more yards to make the FG a little easier?  Felt like Marty Schottenheimer was coaching the WFT there at the end. 
do you mean when they spiked it?  i don't think they had a TO.

they called their last TO at 28 seconds left

Last edited by a moderator:
they didn't have a timeout left.....it was the right call

Users who are viewing this thread