What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timdraft #4: Movie Category Draft (1 Viewer)

Dramatic Actor in a Comedic Role (cont.)

16 points: Dustin Hoffman, Tootsie (Doug B)

After the shock and hilarity of Dustin In A Dress wears off, the film—and the role—takes a more romantic/dramatic turn. It’s one of the all-time great movies, with excellent performances, but Hoffman’s well-rounded role shifts away from the funny as the movie rolls on, and becomes less comedic as it grows more poignant and more dramatic.

17 points: John C. Reilly, Step Brothers (Hooter311)

JCR’s Dale Doback suffers a few points, because he’d done a few comedies before (the fine Talladega Nights, the overlong and overbearing Dewey Cox, the brilliant “Steve Brule” on Adult Swim), and by the time Step Brothers was released, I didn't think of him strictly as a dramatic actor anymore. But I think Step Brothers is one of the funniest films of the last decade, and John C. Reilly is one of the three major reasons why (along with Will Farrell and their ridiculous chemistry together). I can’t imagine having this much fun at a job.

18 points: Peter O’Toole, My Favorite Year (Timschochet)

Though it’s been a regular fixture on tv for three decades, I’d never actually seen this movie in its entirety until it was time to judge. As a film, I think it’s brilliant, and Peter O’Toole is genius in his role as a washed-up, pissed-off, drunken actor. But the pick suffers a bit, for one major reason: Peter O’Toole has always been funny. He’d been wonderful in comedies for decades before this, and for all his Shakespearean, David Lean-sian work, the guy’s been cracking up talk-show hosts, interviewers, and audiences in real life and on screen his whole career. Still, he’s so good in this . . .

19 points: Jeff Daniels, Dumb & Dumber (Kumerica)

Incidentally, this was my pick, and the first performance I thought of when the category was introduced. Jeff Daniels is a revelation in D&D. Up until Dumb & Dumber’s release, Daniels had played milquetoast, affable everymen with everyday issues in some dramas ranging great to forgettable. But with Harry Dunne, he transformed and stood toe-to-toe with Jim Carey in his prime. And for hilarious as Carey was, it was Daniel’s Harry that stole this movie for me—and much of that is because I never saw it coming from the actor. Many find this movie too stupid to get through, but its base humor and the over-the-top hilarity of Carey/Daniels had me rolling throughout, and they still do.

20 points: Leslie Nielsen, Airplane (JWB)

I think some folks might get upset that this is so low. Nielsen, like Jeff Daniels, was always considered a more milquetoast operator before the release of Airplane, and his role in this shifted the trajectory of his career and how he’s remembered. But suffer here he does, not because he isn’t brilliant—he is—but because he’s simply one of several amazingly funny parts of a hilarious and classic whole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dramatic Actor in a Comedic Role (conclusion)

21 points: Jeff Bridges, The Big Lebowski (Dr. Octopus)

What a career. Jeff Bridges has had high points and low points, brilliant performances and lackluster. But with The Big Lebowski, he went somewhere else. The role is absolutely comedic, but at the same time not—The Dude is just abiding. He just is. But Bridges wears the character like a tailored suit so well, that now everyone pictures a bit of The Dude every time they see Jeff Bridges in something.

22 points: Kevin Kline, A Fish Called Wanda (John Madden’s Lunchbox)

After years of success on stage and in dramas onscreen, Kevin Kline hit it out of the park with the role of Otto, the hapless and inept—not stupid!—criminal who’s either screwed on too tightly, or missing a few screws altogether. Or both. Just a brilliant performance, really.

23 points: Michael Caine, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Higgins)

There’s a sparkle in Michael Caine’s eye in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. You can tell he’s having a blast. And even though he plays Sir Lawrence Jamieson as a relative straight man to Steve Martin’s Freddy Benson, I’d argue that all the laughs truly come from him. Whether he’s grinning telling Freddy to get out of the wheelchair and dance, or whipping him in the knees, everything Caine does in this movie is brilliant. He’s the reason Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is one of my favorite movies of all time.

24 points: Gene Hackman, The Royal Tenenbaums (Krista4)

As Royal Tenenbaum, Gene Hackman doesn’t just play a smarmy and self-involved role, he oozes these characteristics and infects the entire film with them, every relationship, and every scene—even the ones he’s not in. There’s some sadness in the film, and some heartfelt moments, but when Hackman steps into a moment, he and his sidekick Pagoda take over. Like Michael Caine in DRS, Hackman’s clearly having an awesome time, and it results in an all-time classic performance.

25 points: Tony Curtis, Some Like It Hot. (Andy Dufresne)

Forget what I said earlier about my difficulties enjoying comedies from Hollywood’s past. This selection had gone up and down in the rankings until I gave it another viewing. It had been years and years since I’d seen it. Thinking there’s no way it’d fit into the upper echelons, I watched it again and laughed my ### off. Everyone is great in it, but Curtis stands out. I’d forgotten how funny this movie was, and how great Tony Curtis is in it. No joke, I had this in the mid-teens early on because I'd forgotten how funny it is. But after the rewatch, it moved steadily up the ranks because I couldn't place anything above it.

Dramatic Actor in a Comedic Role (cont.)

20 points: Leslie Nielsen, Airplane (JWB)

I think some folks might get upset that this is so low. Nielsen, like Jeff Daniels, was always considered a more milquetoast operator before the release of Airplane, and his role in this shifted the trajectory of his career and how he’s remembered. But suffer here he does, not because he isn’t brilliant—he is—but because he’s simply one of several amazingly funny parts of a hilarious and classic whole.
As the drafter, I think this is a fair score. Your top 5 are all really good. Plus, while he did play many drama type roles, Nielson was really "just a guy" before Airplane, and not a "noted" dramatic actor.

Nice job!!!

Quick update: I've got 17/25 ranked. I'm going to try and power through a few more writeups and viewing tonight but may finish in the morning/afternoon.

Dramatic Actor in a Comedic Role

5 points: Marlon Brando, The Freshman (Nick Vermiel)

Parodying his Godfather role, Brando clearly has some fun here. When I first saw this movie 20+ years ago, I felt Brando kind of phoned it in. I recently re-watched it for judging purposes, and really enjoyed the movie on a level I never did the first time around. I wish I could rank this a bit higher, but there are too many good picks ahead of it.
Wow, me too. Crap on a crutch. Bust of draft.

Lets try this again.

20 pts - Eric Bana as Chopper Read in Chopper

And it's back to the violent movies in which I have no interest. Eric Bana was just stunning in this. I watched footage of the real Chopper Read, and Bana gets it perfectly and scarily. I couldn't stop watching. (When the filmmakers had trouble casting the role, Chopper suggested Bana for the part. He may be a sociopath, but he sure was right here.) The fine supporting cast and script give him the room to dominate the screen.

21 pts - Denzel Washington in Malcolm X

Washington captures the different stages of Malcolm X's behavior at the various times in his personal journey. He talks differently to different groups. He makes you understand why he was a leader and a sometimes dangerous man. A magnetic job in a film with a lot of scope in which to get to know the man.

22 pts - Philip Seymour Hoffman as Truman Capote in Capote

I was familiar with the Clutter murders because I had watched a documentary on the subject a couple of months ago. (We do love our documentaries.) The movie is about how Capote invents a new category of book, the true crime book. It also shows how writing the book basically killed the man's soul. Capote struggled with needing his subjects to die for their crimes so he could finish his book but not really wanting them to. He never published another book. Hoffman brings all that to the surface without overselling any of it. After my top picks went, I would have chosen this had I seen it before.

23 pts - Forest Whitaker as Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland

And we're back to sociopaths. Idi Amin was as awful as they come. And Whitaker gave me flashbacks. His performance captures the charisma and the insanity of Amin and scared the crap out of me. I hope I never have to see this again. It was great. So great that I just couldn't go through it again.

24 pts - Ben Kingsley in Gandhi

I have not seen this. Somehow, it just never happened. Mr R, on the other hand, says it was an anazing job of bringing Gandhi to the screen. His description of the power of the performance puts Kingsley right at the top. Except for:

25 pts - Peter O'Toole as TE Lawrence in Lawrence of Arabia

I first saw this on the big screen. To this day, it is still one of the most beautiful and powerful films I have seen. O'Toole captures the glory and the lightning of Lawrence in a way that no one else ever will. It kills me that I didn't get this pick.
Great job here also. One of the tougher categories.

tough category for sure, but I still don't understand any ranking that has the overrated julia roberts role over 2 performances by the best living actor in DDL.

tough category for sure, but I still don't understand any ranking that has the overrated julia roberts role over 2 performances by the best living actor in DDL.
Mr R and I have a theory that even actors we despise have one good role in them. For Roberts, it's Erin Brokovich. She's well cast in a role that could very easily become bad in so many ways. She doesn't bother me as much as she does you, but I'm not that big on her either.

DDL, on the other hand, bugs me. I love Last of the Mohicans. I've loved the story since I was a kid. I love the music, the cinematography, the acting, all of it. Except for DDL. He is a block of wood. He finds one way to express the character and clings to it like Stickum. As far as we can tell, he did the same thing in Lincoln. He picks a posture, an accent, and a speech pattern and never gives them up. It's like he's using Mad Libs for actors. Which would be fine if he displayed any reason for people to follow him. But he fades into the background on any scene where he's not talking about Washington on the crapper. The standout for me is Tommy Lee Jones as Thaddeus Stevens. He dominates every scene even when he's not doing anything.

Mr R and I have a theory that even actors we despise have one good role in them. For Roberts, it's Erin Brokovich. She's well cast in a role that could very easily become bad in so many ways. She doesn't bother me as much as she does you, but I'm not that big on her either.

DDL, on the other hand, bugs me. I love Last of the Mohicans. I've loved the story since I was a kid. I love the music, the cinematography, the acting, all of it. Except for DDL. He is a block of wood. He finds one way to express the character and clings to it like Stickum. As far as we can tell, he did the same thing in Lincoln. He picks a posture, an accent, and a speech pattern and never gives them up. It's like he's using Mad Libs for actors. Which would be fine if he displayed any reason for people to follow him. But he fades into the background on any scene where he's not talking about Washington on the crapper. The standout for me is Tommy Lee Jones as Thaddeus Stevens. He dominates every scene even when he's not doing anything.
I was the one that chose 'Lincoln'...in something like the second round. Now before you think I'm going throw a tantrum at you, trust me, I'm not -- this draft was months ago.

Now here's my post when I made the selection, including the following passage:

When Joseph Gordon-Levitt was in the midst of landing the part of Lincoln’s son Robert in the spring of 2011, he got a message from Day-Lewis confiding that the two-time Oscar winner had been hoping director Steven Spielberg would cast Gordon-Levitt in the role. ”He sent me a really sweet, generous text,” Gordon-Levitt says. “[it] was just an enormous honor for me because he’s kind of in a league of his own.” What Gordon-Levitt didn’t quite realize at the time, however, was that would be the last interaction he would have with Day-Lewis in the 21st century for several months.

It wasn’t until filming wrapped, in fact, that Gordon-Levitt ever really got a chance to get to know Daniel Day-Lewis. ” got to hang out with him and with Steven [spielberg] and some folks [that] night,” he says. “That was the first time I ever heard his [real] voice, and when I heard Steven call him ‘Daniel.

You see DDL is the epitome of a method actor.. someone who goes to the depths of his soul to be that character. To the extent that he purposely took the voice and mannerisms he believed fit Lincoln... not to command the stage to impress some innerwebz judges (he already won the award for his role in that film, he doesn't need to impress me though he does).

Now your criteria:

I can't copy the original criteria because that post is effed up. We went with these bits: Did the actor capture the spirit of the historical/real person; I'll try not to slant the judging to favor famous folks.; and Men and women who are consumed by being every inch of their character will probably do well here. We didn't care about popularity or awards. We were more concerned about the overall impact of the performance/movie. If we go back in time/space and meet the person, would we feel like we had met the person before? (Not that you can really know this, but we were looking for that visceral reaction to the power of the actor.

:confused: I can't think of any actor that gets more consumed with being every inch of their character than DDL, can anyone else?

Anyway, like I said, I should probably thank you and Val for taking the time to judge...so 'thank you'. :thumbup:

1 pt - Madonna as Eva Peron in Evita

Something had to come last, and this just didn't have any realism. I doubt Eva Peron broke out in songs for no particular reason.

2 pts - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison in The Doors

Comments by his former bandmates were not nice. They didn't even recognise their bud. The Oliver Stone direction didn't help here. It's too bad the script isn't better. Kilmer is well cast.

3 pts - Will Smith as Muhammed Ali in Ali

Mr R watched this because I really don't like movies with a ton of violence, and I despise boxing. (More on this later- much to my surprise.) He found Smith reasonably convincing in the boxing scenes and the Ali patter scenes, but says he was a complete block of wood the rest of the time. While I'm sure Ali wasn't always "on", I find it difficult to believe he was dull.

4 pts - Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday in Tombstone

We like this movie. We really like the music. We like Kilmer's portrayal of Holiday. The only reason this is so low is that the other choices were so good.

5 pts - DiCaprio as Howard Hughes in The Aviator (my pick)

I can't believe I have to rank my own pick so low; but just like the previous choice, the other picks had more impact.
I'm not complaining about the ranking, because all of the performances in this category were excellant - although I personally think Charlton Heston was horrible (but perhaps Moses really did speak n monotone and had no personality, who knows?) - but I am a huge fan of Muhammad Ali and have read a few biographies and watched a few documentaries. The Ali that most of us know was a "character" and was for show, he was a very subdued and quiet man out of the spotlight from what I understand. I thought Smith was amazing in that role - but as I said just about every performance in this category was top notch (haven't seen DDL as Lincoln or the Eric Bana film, but think both are great actors otherwise).

Personally I think PSH as Capote may have been the best perfomance here. Capote is so far afield of Hoffman's normal roles, and he captured him amazingly.

I was the one that chose 'Lincoln'...in something like the second round. Now before you think I'm going throw a tantrum at you, trust me, I'm not -- this draft was months ago.

Now here's my post when I made the selection, including the following passage:

When Joseph Gordon-Levitt was in the midst of landing the part of Lincoln’s son Robert in the spring of 2011, he got a message from Day-Lewis confiding that the two-time Oscar winner had been hoping director Steven Spielberg would cast Gordon-Levitt in the role. ”He sent me a really sweet, generous text,” Gordon-Levitt says. “[it] was just an enormous honor for me because he’s kind of in a league of his own.” What Gordon-Levitt didn’t quite realize at the time, however, was that would be the last interaction he would have with Day-Lewis in the 21st century for several months.

It wasn’t until filming wrapped, in fact, that Gordon-Levitt ever really got a chance to get to know Daniel Day-Lewis. ” got to hang out with him and with Steven [spielberg] and some folks [that] night,” he says. “That was the first time I ever heard his [real] voice, and when I heard Steven call him ‘Daniel.

You see DDL is the epitome of a method actor.. someone who goes to the depths of his soul to be that character. To the extent that he purposely took the voice and mannerisms he believed fit Lincoln... not to command the stage to impress some innerwebz judges (he already won the award for his role in that film, he doesn't need to impress me though he does).

Now your criteria:

I can't copy the original criteria because that post is effed up. We went with these bits: Did the actor capture the spirit of the historical/real person; I'll try not to slant the judging to favor famous folks.; and Men and women who are consumed by being every inch of their character will probably do well here. We didn't care about popularity or awards. We were more concerned about the overall impact of the performance/movie. If we go back in time/space and meet the person, would we feel like we had met the person before? (Not that you can really know this, but we were looking for that visceral reaction to the power of the actor.

:confused: I can't think of any actor that gets more consumed with being every inch of their character than DDL, can anyone else?

Anyway, like I said, I should probably thank you and Val for taking the time to judge...so 'thank you'. :thumbup:
My problem is that there are no "mannerisms". Just "mannerism". It's all one note with no rise and fall. Unless Abe was autistic, that seems a bit unlikely. Even when he's having an argument, nothing. It's all one affect. There had to be some reason people chose him to lead. Dull as ditchwater likely wasn't it.

This is refreshing perspective.

The more common argument involving DDL is whether he is the greatest actor of all-time or merely the greatest living actor.

honestly, I haven't seen Lincoln yet. dragging my feet since I haven't liked a Spielberg movie in what feels like a decade. I think his performance in my left foot is amazing though, especially when you combine it with what he puts himself through for the roles.

I personally didn't think erin brockovich was much different than anything else julia Roberts has done. still dont get what she won an oscar for, besides being in the feel-goody hit of the oscars that year.

The more common argument involving DDL is whether he is the greatest actor of all-time or merely the greatest living actor.
Weird thing is Mrs. R and I both feel that way about him, and came to that conclusion separately. Something about the style of acting he does leaves us cold - and it's specifically that style, as we both don't care for heavy method actor Marlon Brando either.

It's something about how the character is achieved. It seems like DDL is looking for some core truth, and wants to strip the character down to just that central, shining nugget. The problem is it feels then like the charm, warmth, and character is lost, and all that's left is that one thing he's striving for. Other actors who scored highly on this list don't seem to take it as far as he does - sure, they get to the focus of the character, but they don't go that extra step that he's going that makes me lose connection to the other things that make both the character and the actor interesting.

Val Rannous said:
BobbyLayne said:

Weird thing is Mrs. R and I both feel that way about him, and came to that conclusion separately. Something about the style of acting he does leaves us cold - and it's specifically that style, as we both don't care for heavy method actor Marlon Brando either.

It's something about how the character is achieved. It seems like DDL is looking for some core truth, and wants to strip the character down to just that central, shining nugget. The problem is it feels then like the charm, warmth, and character is lost, and all that's left is that one thing he's striving for. Other actors who scored highly on this list don't seem to take it as far as he does - sure, they get to the focus of the character, but they don't go that extra step that he's going that makes me lose connection to the other things that make both the character and the actor interesting.
I get what you are saying, but he does play some dark characters. I am not sure there is charm or warmth to be seen in bill the butcher or daniel Plainview.

I think in the name of the father and my left foot really showcase his talent/range.

KarmaPolice said:
honestly, I haven't seen Lincoln yet. dragging my feet since I haven't liked a Spielberg movie in what feels like a decade. I think his performance in my left foot is amazing though, especially when you combine it with what he puts himself through for the roles.

I personally didn't think erin brockovich was much different than anything else julia Roberts has done. still dont get what she won an oscar for, besides being in the feel-goody hit of the oscars that year.
:goodposting:

I actually agree a bit on Lincoln, which I didn't love so much as a performance. My Left Foot and many others are amazing, though. I cannot for the life of me understand the Julia Roberts/Erin Brockovich love. :shrug:

KarmaPolice said:

:goodposting:

I actually agree a bit on Lincoln, which I didn't love so much as a performance. My Left Foot and many others are amazing, though. I cannot for the life of me understand the Julia Roberts/Erin Brockovich love. :shrug:
I thought Theron's transformation and performance as Aileen Wuornos was stronger than Roberts' as Brockovich. I lived in Florida during the time of Aileen's killings, arrest, and trial. She was a colorful person in interviews and footage. I thought Theron nailed her. There was another serial killer in Florida during that time named Danny Rolling. He murdered several college students in Gainesville. I remember students were returning to school to start the Fall semester, and parents were in a panic wanting to pull their kids out of school. I wonder what would have happened if Rolling had picked up Wuornos hitchhiking...

Theron was pretty scary. I found the documentary gave me more insight as to why she turned out the way she did. The movie just didn't really inform me enough. I guess for me, it was more a script issue than an acting issue.

The middle part of the rankings is always the hardest part to do.

Nice job by the Rannouses on stirring some really interesting discussion after such a stupid lull in this draft - - you guys really revived the whole thing.

Props to Kumerica on some strong rankings as well. :thumbup:

Theron was pretty scary. I found the documentary gave me more insight as to why she turned out the way she did. The movie just didn't really inform me enough. I guess for me, it was more a script issue than an acting issue.
The movie didn't go into great detail on the environment and abusive life Wuornos had as a child, but it did shine a light on how society helped create the monster that Wuornos became. There were times I felt sympathy for her, but it didn't change the fact she killed in cold blood. Theron's performance was outstanding, and she totally channeled Wuornos inside and out. I too would have placed Theron above Roberts in judging. As Karma Police noted, Julia's performance wasn't really anything different than things she had already done. Tough category. There were a lot of great performances.

The movie didn't go into great detail on the environment and abusive life Wuornos had as a child, but it did shine a light on how society helped create the monster that Wuornos became. There were times I felt sympathy for her, but it didn't change the fact she killed in cold blood. Theron's performance was outstanding, and she totally channeled Wuornos inside and out. I too would have placed Theron above Roberts in judging. As Karma Police noted, Julia's performance wasn't really anything different than things she had already done. Tough category. There were a lot of great performances.
But "society" didn't create the monster she became. Her childhood did. None of which excuses what she did, but it does explain it.

But "society" didn't create the monster she became. Her childhood did. None of which excuses what she did, but it does explain it.
Society failed her in many ways.

Society failed her in many ways.
Never said it didn't. But that wasn't why she became what she did.

I will begin ranking in the order listed above. I will post the results every few days. If somebody posts their own rankings in the meantime, we'll use those. But I intend to be done by August 15, just as I wrote a month ago.
:whistle:
Yep. I know, it's not gonna happen. We have judges apparently about to rank every category except shooting a movie scene.

I REALLY don't want to judge that category, since I never wanted it to begin with. Is there somebody willing to do this?

timschochet said:
Dr. Octopus said:
I will begin ranking in the order listed above. I will post the results every few days. If somebody posts their own rankings in the meantime, we'll use those. But I intend to be done by August 15, just as I wrote a month ago.
:whistle:
Yep. I know, it's not gonna happen. We have judges apparently about to rank every category except shooting a movie scene.

I REALLY don't want to judge that category, since I never wanted it to begin with. Is there somebody willing to do this?
Are there criteria for it? ANd Krista or someone is going to have to rank mine since I picked it really early in the draft. (Like Round One.)

krista4 said:
Mrs. R, I'll slot your pick in for ya.
Wait a minute. Did I give you good rankings or not?

I really didn't think this through.
:lmao: I can do it, too. Or AA and I can do it together and come to a consensus or go with an average. :)
:lmao:

Actually, Mrs. R, I think you and Val killed me with your last two judged categories, by which I can only assume that the monthly check was lost in the mail, but I srsly wasn't thinking about that. If you want, tho, go with krista's suggestion for an average. Whatever ya need. :)

krista4 said:

:lmao: I can do it, too. Or AA and I can do it together and come to a consensus or go with an average. :)

Actually, Mrs. R, I think you and Val killed me with your last two judged categories, by which I can only assume that the monthly check was lost in the mail, but I srsly wasn't thinking about that. If you want, tho, go with krista's suggestion for an average. Whatever ya need. :)
Just kidding. But this was supposed to be the draft where I didn't do any judging.

So far, it isn't going that well.

krista4 said:

Just kidding. But this was supposed to be the draft where I didn't do any judging.

So far, it isn't going that well.
I hear that.

Acer, I need a link to your scene from The Girl Next Door. Alas, I haven't seen this movie, so I have no idea what this scene is like.

I also need a link to the Hugo scene if possible, time kibitzer.

And I can't fink a link for In Bruges, JML.

Thanks.

And I need links for Argo and CQ.

And Zach and Miri Make a Porno.

And State and Main.

And Son of Rambow. I'm talking to you, KP.

And finally, Bowfinger.

Okay. Hop to it, people.

A Page FIVE bump.

Is this mike on?

Do any of you folks have links? And which Girl Next Door movie are we going for here? I'd have this done by now if you folks would cough up the links. (Hugo and Argo are exempt. I'll rent those.)

A Page FIVE bump.

Is this mike on?

Do any of you folks have links? And which Girl Next Door movie are we going for here? I'd have this done by now if you folks would cough up the links. (Hugo and Argo are exempt. I'll rent those.)
Regarding "In Bruges", I'll try and find a safe link and send.

For the Sex/Adultery category, all movies have been watched and I just have 1 more to write up, but I will start posting mine within 24 hours

Users who are viewing this thread