What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timdraft #4: Movie Category Draft (1 Viewer)

Instead of a no idea what the movie is about....how about a simple flex. The flex must fit a category and gets added to the others of that category to be judged. If we keep it "No Idea" I am likely to just draft something foreign I don't understand.

Instead of a no idea what the movie is about....how about a simple flex. The flex must fit a category and gets added to the others of that category to be judged. If we keep it "No Idea" I am likely to just draft something foreign I don't understand.
No. This is a category I want. The film should be confusing and strange. We need an artsy pretentious judge. I nominate Krista or her husband. They've watched all of these flicks.

No. This is a category I want. The film should be confusing and strange. We need an artsy pretentious judge. I nominate Krista or her husband. They've watched all of these flicks.
The judge has to be 100% clear on their judgement though.Someone might draft something with no idea what it's about and a pretentious film judge might give it a 1 and say it is clearly about the plight of Malaysian gorillas living in 17 story skyscrapers whilst eeking a living as the drummer in Mozart tribute bands.

The judge has to be 100% clear on their judgement though.Someone might draft something with no idea what it's about and a pretentious film judge might give it a 1 and say it is clearly about the plight of Malaysian gorillas living in 17 story skyscrapers whilst eeking a living as the drummer in Mozart tribute bands.
Isn't that part of the fun?

:goodposting:

Thanks for spotlighting my pick. :hot:

Here's my criteria for Nazi flicks.1. The film needs to be about Nazis. Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe, or submarine officers are not necessarily Nazis. Nazis means Hitler and his buddies, members of the SS, Gestapo, storm troopers, or Nazi party in general. Modern day Nazis are fine. 2. The more entertaining the film, the better it will do. If you select some artsy flick that is great on style but low on drama, expect to be punished. I don't want to be bored.3. That's all.
Do the Nazi's have to be the bad guys? :unsure:

So the answer to my question from earlier is what? Are judges expected to watch the movies in their categories? How does this aspect work, anybody? I tried to be self-deprecating in asking this before, but that didn't work out, so now I'll just be a doosh.
I'm not going to demand of any judge that they sit through every movie- otherwise we'll never get to the judging. I would hope they are familar with the film and have seen it in the past. If not, perhaps in those rare cases we could request a guest judge who has seen the film to give it a proper ranking.For the scene categories, I would like each judge to watch each scene on Youtube. I would hope that everyone who volunteers to be a judge will know something about the subject. I'm judging Nazi flicks and I feel pretty confident about that, since I think I've seen just about every major Nazi flick that's ever come out (and most minor ones as well). I would not be a good judge for the drug movies, since I've only seen a few of those.
If I judge any categories I WILL watch the entire movie, if I haven't seen it already, and will judge the context of the scene (if that's a category I'm judging) against the backdrop of the movie

My concern about a couple of the movie categories = we will get 15 picks featuring 3 movie franchises.
then let's not allow it. You get one film from a franchise. Once the film is taken, no other picks from that franchise are allowed.
Period? So if I draft Leprechaun as an Irish movie, nobody else can draft that or any other movie in the franchise for another category? Ie somebody else can't have Leprechaun in the Hood as scariest scene?
Sure, why not?
Are you going to police this shit?If a category is so narrow that only certain movie franchises dominate it, then it is not a good category.

Fix the category choice or waste your time on stupid franchise arguments

My concern about a couple of the movie categories = we will get 15 picks featuring 3 movie franchises.
then let's not allow it. You get one film from a franchise. Once the film is taken, no other picks from that franchise are allowed.
Period? So if I draft Leprechaun as an Irish movie, nobody else can draft that or any other movie in the franchise for another category? Ie somebody else can't have Leprechaun in the Hood as scariest scene?
Sure, why not?
Are you going to police this shit?If a category is so narrow that only certain movie franchises dominate it, then it is not a good category.

1.No.2. Says you.

3. No.

Sure, why not?

1.No.2. Says you.

3. No.
So your not going to police it, but when people whine about the Balthazar the Donkey movies dominating the Bestiality category you'll make impromptu judgement calls?

Sure, why not?

1.No.2. Says you.

3. No.
So your not going to police it, but when people whine about the Balthazar the Donkey movies dominating the Bestiality category you'll make impromptu judgement calls?
Yes

Sure, why not?

1.No.2. Says you.

3. No.
Yes
Same as it ever was

Scenes

1. shocking scene

2. Dance scene

3. romantic gesture

4. shootout

5. fight scene

6. gambling scene

7. car chase

8. monologue (speech)

9. courtroom scene

10. classroom scene

11. shooting a movie scene

12. most realistic sports scene

13. dream sequence

14. scene that scared you as a kid

15. long take

16. scene where an animal speaks

17. scene involving food

18. scene that takes place on a boat

19. scene that takes place on a plane

20. scene involving an offputting odor

21. wrestling scene

22. scene involving a black person and a white person

23. scene that takes place in a park

24. scene where someone wears a suit of armor

25. phonecall scene

26. scene where someone gets a haircut

27. raining

28. monster

29. gross out

30. WTF scene

Categories kinda suck. Can we get new ones?
In an attempt to be more constructive, I think we should choose either Movies, Scenes or Portrayals instead of a mishmosh of all 3
Who is with me? I'll bang out all 30 categories if need be. The more creative the cats, the more fun this will be
Start your own ####### draft.
I was starting drafts back when you were pooping your diaper in the shark pool, kid

Categories kinda suck. Can we get new ones?
In an attempt to be more constructive, I think we should choose either Movies, Scenes or Portrayals instead of a mishmosh of all 3
Who is with me? I'll bang out all 30 categories if need be. The more creative the cats, the more fun this will be
Start your own ####### draft.
I was starting drafts back when you were pooping your diaper in the shark pool, kid
Confirmed

So the answer to my question from earlier is what? Are judges expected to watch the movies in their categories? How does this aspect work, anybody? I tried to be self-deprecating in asking this before, but that didn't work out, so now I'll just be a doosh.
I'm not going to demand of any judge that they sit through every movie- otherwise we'll never get to the judging. I would hope they are familar with the film and have seen it in the past. If not, perhaps in those rare cases we could request a guest judge who has seen the film to give it a proper ranking.For the scene categories, I would like each judge to watch each scene on Youtube. I would hope that everyone who volunteers to be a judge will know something about the subject. I'm judging Nazi flicks and I feel pretty confident about that, since I think I've seen just about every major Nazi flick that's ever come out (and most minor ones as well). I would not be a good judge for the drug movies, since I've only seen a few of those.
If I judge any categories I WILL watch the entire movie, if I haven't seen it already, and will judge the context of the scene (if that's a category I'm judging) against the backdrop of the movie
Judge how you want, but I don't see the point of this. Who cares if the rest of the movie is about a zombie apocalypse if it has a kick ### car chase that fits the category? I understand watching the whole film for those categories, but don't see the point for the scene categories.

Per wiki:

A long take or oner is an uninterrupted shot in a film which lasts much longer than the conventional editing pace either of the film itself or of films in general, usually lasting several minutes. It can be used for dramatic and narrative effect if done properly, and in moving shots is often accomplished through the use of a dolly or Steadicam. Long takes of a sequence filmed in one shot without any editing are rare in films.

What I am looking for:

1. just like it describes - long, unedited shots.

2. think about how bad it would be if there was a #### up - ie how complicated is the shot?

3. i realize there are movies out there that are all shot in one take or just a couple - don't draft these.

I will try to figure out a way to rank them for a couple categories - style, complication, how it fits with the movie, if I like the movie, if I like you, etc..

I think I will try my hand at scenes that scared you as a kid as well. For judging purposes, this will basically become scary scenes from movies targeted at kids. Looking for PG-ish movies that probably weren't marketed/intended as a horror movie. Otherwise this will just become a list of the usual scary scenes, which I don't think what was intended. So you saw Texas Chainsaw Massacre as a kid and it scared you? Well, no ####.

The rankings will be based on:

1. Is it still scary today?

2. I will rank them on what order I'd be willing to show them to my kid.

3. How does the scene feel vs. the rest of the movie - ie scenes coming out of nowhere will score a little higher on this one.

I think Scott's point was that it would be a little incoherent to have this proposed mix. Or at least that's what I think. I like scenes, films, and portrayals, but think they should be in separate drafts, one for each. For this one, I dig the idea of scenes. Just my 0.01.

I think Scott's point was that it would be a little incoherent to have this proposed mix. Or at least that's what I think. I like scenes, films, and portrayals, but think they should be in separate drafts, one for each. For this one, I dig the idea of scenes. Just my 0.01.
I get that. But I like mixing it up. I think if we have 30 of any one of those, the categories may be somewhat weak. That;'s my opinion anyhow. Again, I'll go with the majority.

I like Norwood's idea better, frankly. :hophead:
Are there other people that agree with this? I like the mix myself, but if a majority of drafters think we should only do movie scenes then we will.
I Don't Care. If I had a gun to my head, I'd prefer yours to Norwoods, but something like 51-49%I reserve the right to complain about the format of the draft once it has started though.No judge can post criteria or volunteer for anything until things are nailed down

Are there other people that agree with this? I like the mix myself, but if a majority of drafters think we should only do movie scenes then we will.
I Don't Care. If I had a gun to my head, I'd prefer yours to Norwoods, but something like 51-49%I reserve the right to complain about the format of the draft once it has started though.

No judge can post criteria or volunteer for anything until things are nailed down
Tim has already posted some criteria.

I Don't Care. If I had a gun to my head, I'd prefer yours to Norwoods, but something like 51-49%I reserve the right to complain about the format of the draft once it has started though.

No judge can post criteria or volunteer for anything until things are nailed down
Yeah, but Norwood is throwing a spanner in the works and thinks his idea will work better.Nothing is certain right now until either more people make an opinion or Tim makes a ruling

Yeah, but Norwood is throwing a spanner in the works and thinks his idea will work better.Nothing is certain right now until either more people make an opinion or Tim makes a ruling
Unless a whole bunch of drafters come in here and post that they prefer Norwood's idea, we're going with the categories as listed in the OP.

Unless a whole bunch of drafters come in here and post that they prefer Norwood's idea, we're going with the categories as listed in the OP.
This is unlikely at 1 A.M. Eastern.

But I failed to perceive the urgency in getting this thing started, so I'm officially on the Cool By Me Train. :thumbup: I will judge superheroes and dream sequences, and will post judging crtieria tomorrow.

I'd be in favour of it being an all scene draft if some more time was spent getting suitable categories. As is, I think even the original 15 needs some fixing up; more specifically, replacing the best classroom scene with something that makes more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread