What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timdraft #4: Movie Category Draft (2 Viewers)

A lot of Flash comics, like current Flash, are more about him solving physical puzzles than anything. Or going through kind of obstacle courses. It's fun throwing things at the character and putting him on a timer. I love Barry Allen, but a film would need Wally. Barry is just too good a guy to standout on screen.

The prototype for Justice League and all its characters is really in the Justice League/Justice League Unlimited cartoons. Those were wonderful and can be direct influences for a DC film universe in terms of portrayals.

Moon Knight would be a good franchise, but really all people would see is Batman but Marvel. Black Panther, which is getting a franchise, is going to have the same issue. Not sure audiences are in for that. And my fear of the inevitable WW film is entirely costume related. WW is currently on a hell of a run but they missed a golden opportunity to give that costume an update.

More dream films, more along the lines of never going to happen: Batman Inc (Batwoman!), Animal Man, Dial H for Hero, The Question, maybe Swamp Thing. Sandman (detective).

The main reason I want to see Dr. Strange is because of Ditko's imaginings: sorcerers hanging in and out of various dimensions- even though it was drawn in the early 60s in a somewhat more stilted style, it remains among the most innovative things I have ever read. Dormammu would be the villain of course. The whole thing would be extremely weird- Hellboy on acid. I would love it.

The main reason I want to see Dr. Strange is because of Ditko's imaginings: sorcerers hanging in and out of various dimensions- even though it was drawn in the early 60s in a somewhat more stilted style, it remains among the most innovative things I have ever read. Dormammu would be the villain of course. The whole thing would be extremely weird- Hellboy on acid. I would love it.
http://collider.com/doctor-strange-movie-news-kevin-feige/

and Ant-Man? Really?

and Ant-Man? Really?
I actually think Ant-Man could be really cool.

Just happy I didn't get a 1. I hate super hero movies.
Same, especially these new Marvel ones that come out every few months. I find it hard to stay interested for a film and engrossed in it's assumed tension when it's obvious the film will end with the superhero surviving and saving the day every time.

Tiananmen Tank said:
A lot of Flash comics, like current Flash, are more about him solving physical puzzles than anything. Or going through kind of obstacle courses. It's fun throwing things at the character and putting him on a timer. I love Barry Allen, but a film would need Wally. Barry is just too good a guy to standout on screen.The prototype for Justice League and all its characters is really in the Justice League/Justice League Unlimited cartoons. Those were wonderful and can be direct influences for a DC film universe in terms of portrayals.Moon Knight would be a good franchise, but really all people would see is Batman but Marvel. Black Panther, which is getting a franchise, is going to have the same issue. Not sure audiences are in for that. And my fear of the inevitable WW film is entirely costume related. WW is currently on a hell of a run but they missed a golden opportunity to give that costume an update.More dream films, more along the lines of never going to happen: Batman Inc (Batwoman!), Animal Man, Dial H for Hero, The Question, maybe Swamp Thing. Sandman (detective).
And this is where Batman truly shines. This kind of writing would do well.

Who are the judges that have yet to check in at all?
Jzilla is the only one who has yet to check in, I think.
I had volunteered to judge rock movies, before it was pointed out to me that 'zilla had already claimed it. Sucks.

I'd volunteer to take it now, but I would have changed the criteria to not have allowed concert films into the mix. I just don't see anyway to judge a biopic or fictional movie against a documentary or strict concert film.

Also at this point I'm not going to start watching 25 movies (even having seen probably 60% of them, but some not in many years) as I don't have the time, especially with a vacation trip coming at months end.

I've had some real life situations come along and force me to have to completely backburner this thing. Figured I'd see how it all plays, as there was some indication early that the judging on this could go on for months anyway. If somebody wants any or all of my categories, by all means knock yourselves out.

My heartfelt apologies to all affected.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had some real life situations come along and force me to have to completely backburner this thing. Figured I'd see how it all plays, as there was some indication early that the judging on this could go on for months anyway. If somebody wants any or all of my categories, by all means knock yourselves out.

I say let Zilla stay on board. We have a lot of categories still to go.

I've had some real life situations come along and force me to have to completely backburner this thing. Figured I'd see how it all plays, as there was some indication early that the judging on this could go on for months anyway. If somebody wants any or all of my categories, by all means knock yourselves out. My heartfelt apologies to all affected.
I say let Zilla stay on board. We have a lot of categories still to go.
It's up to him. If he wants to do it, by all means.

If I had to give one up it would be the child actor category... That's gonna take the most time and also the criteria were pretty straightforward

So if anybody gets a wild hair and wants to take that one, super. It would make my other tasks seem less daunting

But I have every intention of getting to this stuff

Last edited by a moderator:

Must be pretty serious if it takes precedent over judging an internet draft among strangers. :mellow:

Just kidding, of course. Hopefully everything is working out okay.

Must be pretty serious if it takes precedent over judging an internet draft among strangers.

Just kidding, of course. Hopefully everything is working out okay.
:thumbup: thx gb.. it's nothing major, just busy busy

Only if there are no objections. I'd actually look forward to seeing your take on that one. Not so much rock and roll, you old bat.

I'm 40% of the way through the Sex/Adultery movies and boy are my hands tired.

I'm really not looking forward to watching some of the remaining ones that I think are misplaced.

If I had to give one up it would be the child actor category... That's gonna take the most time and also the criteria were pretty straightforward

So if anybody gets a wild hair and wants to take that one, super. It would make my other tasks seem less daunting

I think we have long enough to go in this process that we should all be willing to let you get through whatever life is throwing at you, before you get to this.

Glad you checked in at least and hope things sort themselves out for you.

Dr. Octopus said:

I think we have long enough to go in this process that we should all be willing to let you get through whatever life is throwing at you, before you get to this.

Glad you checked in at least and hope things sort themselves out for you.
Well said and I agree.

I gotta ask, is #5 in the works?
Yep. A TV draft, somewhat similar to this one.

But I am waiting for this draft to be completed (meaning judging). Also I will be out of town in the last week of June and 1st week of July, so I won't start it until I get back.

I have my ratings done, but the write-ups are severely lacking :bag:

If people are anxious to get another category judged I can post anyway... just let me know.

If people are anxious to get another category judged I can post anyway... just let me know.
I don't see the necessity for elaborate writeups -- as long as you've got something no matter how minimal, go for it. :thumbup:

I don't see the necessity for elaborate writeups -- as long as you've got something no matter how minimal, go for it. :thumbup:
I have the overall score I based the placement by, but not much more for most... but oh well, I can go into details if there's a lot of butt-hurt (expected).

I also need a clarification on Tiananmen Tank's pick... I have that listed as both Caddyshack and Warrior... Funny enough, I have the ranking the same, but the point total is different.

Will post in a couple of minutes.

First of all, apologies for being tardy with judging, but at least I am not alone in that...I had high aspirations for this judging exercise, but real world issues had to take precedence. I have done my due diligence on the judging of each scene, and watched each movie at least once again (I had seen them all in the past, and own them on DVD), as well as rewatched each scene multiple times, either through the links provided, or on the DVD itself. Apologies if a factual error or two has snuck in, as most writing has been done during bouts of insomnia...

In case of ties, I sorted in the order of either personal preference, or if I felt a movie should rank a little higher.Here are the criteria:

Criteria for best sports scene: Needs to be a real sport or real competition. I will allow most things that have a world championship, but it should include some degree ofathleticism. I am not going to view a Poker World Championship favorably (we have the gambling category for that). The scene need to fit in the context of the movie, a random event, no matter how awesome will be downgraded (so no reason to draft a scene where thelead actor watches a hockey game, by himself, if it doesn't fit in) Realism is key. I doubt Shin-Yoo Koo hits a 4.25 mile homerun, or Lavarr Arrington has a 62 second hang time. I will allow a little artistic freedom,but not a lot. Quality of the shot/scene. Is it well made, does it make me feel I'm there? Does it capture the feelings of the people that was there enough so thatthey are reliving the moment? Cinematic quality. How well is the scene shot? Positives: world wide appeal, because I want the movie to be a success in multiple markets (I will not put a number on how many countries orparticipants, PM with any questions) Negatives: narrow local sports might get penalized (like caribou curling) unless the scene and movie is exceptional.Documentaries are not eligible. Dramatic films based on real events are good (not too many artistic freedoms please) Scoring (1-10 scale):How well does the scene fit in the movie?Quality of the scene?Realism? (-10 - 10 scale)World Wide appeal? (-10 - 10 scale)Cinematic quality? Max points will be 50.

The not so good:

25th place - 1pts - Bobsled crash scene in Cool Runnings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBLvgHQYg2c

We are talking bob-sledding here... a sport that's barely known in the countries of the world where they have snow... it's barely relevant every 4 years during the olympics.

Overall points - 7 pts

24th place - 2pts - Rocky vs. Drago, Rocky IV

Incredibly unrealistic. The criteria clearly states this won't be viewed favorably.

Overall points - 12 pts

23rd place - 3pts - The Karate Kid - Finish him/Sweep the Leg

Overall points - 13 pts

22nd place - 4pts - The Black Stallion - the black stallion race

Overall points - 17 pts

The next one has a longer writeup, because it was one of the first I viewed, and I was feeling ambitious. We are also starting to get into a little bit better movies...

21st place - 5pts - The Bad News Bears - Kelly Leak almost hits a home run

A lot of better scenes available. Mexican kid walking, buttermaker passing out beers, Lupus making the catch, yankee coach's kid holding the ball etc etc...

To me, this is a forgettable moment, and the same has been said by others when asked. I also find it telling that I could find MANY clips from the movie on youtube, but it was never featured. The scene doesn't stick out as the definitive moment in this movie. It has of course a cult following, but when I asked 20+ americans, who all have a huge baseball interest, they all picked other scenes. Yes, it's a small sample size, but I find it telling that none of them mentioned this scene, until after I pointed it out.

There is a mistake with the Bears' batting order. In the first inning, Rudi Stein bats after Kelly. In the final inning, Rudi leads off with an out. Just four batters later, Kelly comes up with the bases loaded and two out. Kelly could not have batted for another three spots in the order. However, in little league baseball, players can be subsituted for and then put back into the game. Since the entire game is not played on-screen, Rudy could've been taken out, replaced by another player, and then Rudy could've been re-inserted into the game. Yeah, you'd think that would've been shown.

Regarding world wide appeal, which was one of the criteria: I'm not knocking the sport of baseball, but this is peewee league sports. I think you would find people with a huge baseball interest, who would have little interest. I'm sure there will be #####ing and moaning about this point, but I made it clear early that regional sports would be penalized. While baseball is big world wide (as evident from other baseball picks), peewee league isn't. This is no different than if other sports selected would've featured kids.

Overall points - 17pts

20th place - 6pts - Caddyshack - Cinderella Story

Overall points - 23 pts

19th place - 7pts - The Natural - The Homerun at the end

Too outlandish, the batting practice scene is much better. The stadium lights exploding is a horrible touch.

Trivia: Hobbs' famous moment, in which he shatters the stadium lights, is inspired by Bama Rowell of the Boston Braves, who strikes the Bulova clock atop Ebbets Field's scoreboard in 1946 (Hobbs also shatters a ballpark clock in the movie). Rowell, incidentally, is entitled to a watch for his feat - and finally gets it, 41 years later.

Overall points - 23 pts

18th place - 8 pts - Tin Cup - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mWKIMGinvg

Tin Cup straddles the line between believability and improbability. Unfortunately, it seems like the most improbable moments are presented as major plot devices.
When “Tin Cup” McAvoy stubbornly attempts to clear a water hazard, he flushes his chances of winning the U.S. Open down the drain. The filmmakers decided that having him finally clear the water wouldn’t be enough, they had to have him hole out from 235 yards. Even that wasn’t enough – they also conveniently made the hole-out land him in the top 15 for the tournament, automatically qualifying for the next year’s Open.
nufced

Overall points - 26 pts

17th place - 9pts - Invincible

Overall points - 26 pts

16th place - 10pts - Victory - Pele's goal

Overall points - 26pts

15th place - 11pts - A League of their own - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWoD2sQ9LiU

Overall points - 28 pts

14th place - 12pts - He Got Game - Jake & Jesus Shuttleworth play one-on-one

Overall points - 28 pts

13th place - 13pts - Pride of the Yankees (1942) - Lou Gehrig's Farewell Speech

Overall points - 30 pts

12th place - 14pts - The Best of Times - Final TD drive

Overall points - 30 pts

11th place - 15pts - Slap Shot - Pre Game Brawl

Overall points - 31 pts

10th place - 16pts - Bull Durham Sports Scene - That ball got out of here in a hurry.

Overall points - 32 pts

9th place - 17pts - Lagaan (Once Upon a Time In India)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kZ4rqqOBvY (3 hour and 32 minute mark and goes until 3 hours and 34 minutes and 31 seconds)

Overall points - 33pts

8th place - 18pts - Cinderella Man - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGU3PRBxQiw

Overall points - 34 pts

7th place - 19pts - Breaking Away - Finish

Trivia: On the 25th anniversary of the film in 2004, the Cutters again win Indiana University's Little 500 - beating out the ATO team much like their fictional counterparts do in the movie.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/25-greatest-sports-movies-gallery-1.52876#ixzz2QAN3rWs9

I don't buy that amateurs can compete with professionals in this sport. Just too much emphasis on materials, support, tactics etc. Even taking underestimation into consideration, you have to suspend belief quite a bit.

Overall points - 36pts

6th place - 20pts - We Are Marshall - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEm8IXm88Tw

Overall points - 36 pts

5th place - 21pts - Ending of Rudy

Personally I'm not a super fan of letting the last kid on the teams depth chart play, just because, but there's no denying the emotion, the team committment from the rest of the roster, and the sense of relief when the little guy gets to run onto the field. It's consistently listed as one of the top defining moments in sports film history, and rightfully so. I don't buy him getting on the field, and not getting killed instantly. A 5'4" hobbit against 300lbs 6'5"+ men? Please..

Trivia: The real Rudy can be seen in the stands during the final scene.

Overall points - 36pts

4th place - 22pts - Invictus - This is our destiny speech

Important scene, both for the movie and for the ####### cheating Springboks ########. It's extremely tight at the top of this draft, and this took a back seat to other more iconic events happening during play or physical performance.

Overall points - 36pts

3rd place - 23pts - Goal The dream begins - final game

It hurts placing this blatant abomination of scene this high, due to the unrealistic result, the Geordie angle and the loss :cry: , but there's no denying the quality. Everybody with even a fleeting interest in soccer should watch this movie IMO.

Overall points - 41 pts

2nd place - 24 points - Jimmy Chitwood's shot in Hoosiers

There are some better scenes to pick in this movie IMO (but opinions vary greatly). Picket Fence, measuring tape when they get to championship game etc. This entire movie is filled with iconic scenes, and viewed as a whole I would put it above most, but it's extremely hard to surpass Miracle. The writers had to re-write a little of Indiana's hoops history, which gives the movie as a whole a slight downgrade, but doesn't affect the scene score. No matter the scene, this is the right slot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fttt3fFTxk#t=0m50s

How well does the scene fit in the movie? 10pts It's the final shot, in the final seconds. Fits like a glove.
Quality of the scene? 8pts - suffers a little with modern comparison on the montage, but still very strong
Realism? (-10 - 10 scale) 8pts - The final seconds of the Hoosiers state final hold fairly closely to the details of Milan's 1954 final; the final shot in the movie was taken from virtually the same spot on the floor as Bobby Plump's actual game-winner. The movie's final game was shot in the same building that hosted the 1954 Indiana final, Butler University's Hinkle Fieldhouse (called Butler Fieldhouse in 1954) in Indianapolis. Also, see error below.
World Wide appeal? (-10 - 10 scale) 10pts - Basketball is big world wide, played on all continents, and growing. Even the fact that this is high school doesn't hurt, as the level of play is high, and could be compared to pro team basketball in many countries.
Cinematic quality? 9pts - again, suffers a little with modern comparison on the montage, but still very strong
45pts

Fun fact: Jack Nicholson was first choice to play coach Norman Dale, but he declined due to a scheduling conflict.

Error in the scene: During the final timeout, with the score tied near the end of the movie, Hickory's star player, Jimmy Chitwood (Maris Valainis), is told by the Coach that he'll be a decoy while the team runs its "picket fence" play, where a fellow teammate will take the last shot. The teammate, who is uncertain of himself, looks to Jimmy, prompting Jimmy to say with confidence to his Coach, "I'll make it." In reality, Coach Wood told Bobby Plump to take the final shot all along. "I was a very shy kid," Bobby Plump told the Washington Post in 1995. "I never would have said, 'I'll make it.' "

Fun/Geeky fact 2: An Advanced Statistical Analysis Of Jimmy Chitwood's Basketball Performance In Hoosiers
http://deadspin.com/5782785/an-advanced-statistical-analysis-of-jimmy-chitwoods-basketball-performance-in-hoosiers

1st place - 25 points - Miracle - Bag skate scene.
Also called Suicide Drills, or with this team: Herbie's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb-hWG3cHMQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nR3reKPE5Y

How well does the scene fit in the movie? 10pts
Quality of the scene? 10pts
Realism? (-10 - 10 scale) 10pts
World Wide appeal? (-10 - 10 scale) 10pts
Cinematic quality? 10pts
50pts

Judge notes: This is as good as it gets in movies about sports. Anyone that has ever competed in any sport recognize the drill, the purpose and the exhaustion. It brings up vivid memories, and you can almost taste the bile in the back of your throat. On top of this portrayal, the actual event was worse than what was shown in the movie. LOVE this clip and how it sets up the rest of the movie.

Trivia: Members of the 1980 US Olympic hockey team paid a visit during filming, and described the experience as if being in a "time warp." They were moved by the sight of all the jerseys and amazed at the resemblance the actors had to their 1980 selves. In fact, throughout filming the actors were instructed to call each other by their movie name (whether the camera was rolling or not), so (for example), one actor would say, "Hey O.C.." and both the real Jack O'Callahan and the actor playing him would respond simultaneously.

Trivia 2: During the "again" scene where Herb Brooks repeatedly blows his whistle and the players skate back and forth, there was no acting involved. The scene took twelve hours each day for three days to shoot and the director wanted everything to be real so when the players are keeling over and out of breath, they really were out of breath.

Error in the scene: They didnt stop skating after Eurizone's little spiel, because it never happened in real life. The kept going until Brooks decided it was enough. This happened shortly after Mark Johnson banged his stick against the crossbar on one of the goals and broke it, Brooks then screamed at him "If I ever see another kid do that, I'll skate you 'til you F**KIN' DIE!" And made them go for a few more.

Users who are viewing this thread